Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 02:14:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228058 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?  (Read 61387 times)
wadey
Legend

« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2009, 07:15:17 AM »

another thread turned into pointless handbag swinging.
why cant people just accept others views and shut the fuck up!

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2009, 09:53:47 AM »

Tell that to people who think it's impossible to prefer Robin.

Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2009, 10:04:23 AM »

I believe wadey's comment refers to everyone arguing here. Everyone is as bad as each other
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »

How come?

All I've been trying to say is how I'm entitled to my opinion and how the fact that I prefer Robin Finck does not mean I'm not a fan of the band or whatever. A lot of people here came just to say how much Slash is good and how it's impossible to like Robin (using some questionable arguments such as songwriting), which is pretty narrow minded and disrespectful.

Also, I don't think those type of comments help that much on the thread. Nobody is forced to come here and read it.

carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »

How come?

All I've been trying to say is how I'm entitled to my opinion and how the fact that I prefer Robin Finck does not mean I'm not a fan of the band or whatever. A lot of people here came just to say how much Slash is good and how it's impossible to like Robin (using some questionable arguments such as songwriting), which is pretty narrow minded and disrespectful.

Also, I don't think those type of comments help that much on the thread. Nobody is forced to come here and read it.

Look you are entitled to prefer Robin, that's fine and the point of the thread is about opinion.

What I don't get is the post above where you count songwriting is a questionable argument in discussing who you prefer as a guitarist.

Correct me where my logic is wrong.

Favourite guitarist ( the function of a guitarist is either to WRITE music or play it) therefore songwriting or ability to write music.
If writing music is irrelevant to the discussion of who we prefer as a guitarist , then I give up.

It baffles me that when comparing two guitarists someone can say ability to write music is a questionable argument.....just baffles me. Surely the music they write is the key point??? and the major indicator of they're style??
Surely after 10 years in a band and you only have one songwriting credit then your ability as a contributing guitarist must be a little suss?? or are we all about image here???
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »

It's a damn preference. You can like a guitarist for any reason.
If it's the credits on booklets that makes you like a guitarist, that's fine.

But what voodoo is getting at is the preach that a guitarist without tons of song writing credits can't be preferred and all the guitar parts written/ arranged performed by him should be ignored.

Pavarotti had many fans, you know.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:13:51 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »

How come?

Because you are 100% right that it is an opinion and thinking it is impossible to prefer Finck is stupid. Knowing that there is no point to argue and argue. Im not saying that every person who prefers Slash(Im one of 'em) is completely in the wrong either though.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »

Yeah, ppbebe is right. As I said SEVERAL times, songwriting (I'm talking about the main songwriting credits) doesn't require one to be a good guitar player. I don't agree, but I guess a lot of you thinks Paul Tobias is not a good guitar player - but he does have more credits than Robin. Hell, Richard Fortus, which a lot of Slash fans doesn't mind that much, has NO credits at all on the album. Does that makes him a bad guitar player?

Again: Robin has only Better (which IMHO is already a lot, as the song is almost perfect to me), but who said he didn't write any of his solos? It's stupid to even have to explain that, but again: if by your logic you need to have main songwriting credits in order to be a good guitar player, so we can all disregard Slash's work in Estranged, November Rain, LALD, KOHD and so on...

Now, if you want to talk about guitar songwriting skills, we can include Robin in the other Chinese songs, possibly NIN and also his work on Ghosts of Mars soundtrack. Or even his solo spots, his changed solos on the old songs.. I think you got the point.

Because you are 100% right that it is an opinion and thinking it is impossible to prefer Finck is stupid. Knowing that there is no point to argue and argue. Im not saying that every person who prefers Slash(Im one of 'em) is completely in the wrong either though.
I don't think people are wrong if they prefer Slash. I just think they didn't put a good reason to discredit Robin as they did.

If you come here and say "oh, I think Slash's guitar playing is better" or "I prefer his style" or just "Slash sounds better", its just fine. But to say "oh, Robin  can't be put in the same sentence as Slash" or "Robin has just one track, Slash is a legend!!" is plain baseless.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2009, 02:27:43 PM »

since neither is in the band anymore and won't be playing with the band anytime soon, i guess i would have to go with slash since he was the lead guitarist on so many of the guns song's i love; as for the current lineup, I'd have to say my favorite that appears on Democracy is Buckethead since it seems he was the lead guitarist on most of my favorite songs off democracy, followed closely by Bumblefoot since he brought more of a rock sound to the album than an industrial sound.  As much as I like Better, I enjoy Scraped and Sorry so much more.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #209 on: May 27, 2009, 06:50:17 AM »

haha, funny discussion.

Its Slash hands down.  He IS a better player in all areas.

And Slash will be the one remembered in years to come.  Not Robin Finck

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »

While I agree that Slash would be my choice too, I don't find it all that funny.  I know PLENTY of people who think Slash is vastly overrated.  And I'm sure a whole bunch of NIN and new GNR fans could make quite a case for Robin.  Just because someone is more well known doesn't mean they're necessarily better.  CC Deville is probably better known than Eric Johnson, but I certainly wouldn't say he's better.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »

haha, funny discussion.

Its Slash hands down.  He IS a better player in all areas.

And Slash will be the one remembered in years to come.  Not Robin Finck

Another one who prove my point making fun of people who has different taste. What else could you expect from this guy, tho?

So,

Most important thing is "to be remembered".

And your personal opinion is a fact.

Got it. It doesn't matter if you happen to support a guy who has done almost nothing worthy in 15 years. ok

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2009, 12:04:59 PM »

doesn't this kind of discussion remind you of those stories about the dawn of rock music?

grandpas and mas said it's noise not music listen to real things like Mozart instead but that never could stop your parents from loving it.  hihi
+Rocker+
I want to hea... have Slash's baby
Rocker

« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2009, 12:36:31 PM »

But, let me ask you a question: where are Slash's stratospheric level guitar solos in Axl Rose absence?

Here you got Big solos, Riff & Songs (Try to focus in Slash's performance):

- "Give In to Me"
- "Beggars & Hangers-On"
- "Neither Can I"
- "Back and Forth Again"
- "Been There Lately"
- "Just Like Anything"
- "Shine"
- "Back to the Moment"
- "Serial Killer"
- "Sucker Train Blues"
- "Fall to Pieces"
- "You Got No Right"
- "Slither"
- "Loving the Alien"
- "Just Sixteen"
- "Gravedancer"
- "Messages"

Some songs written through the years (WIHTOUT AXL), don't you think whether these song would have been
in a same record, would be as good as Chinese Democracy?.

don't you think Slash needs Axl Rose musically like a fish needs water to live? At the other hand, Axl created ''November Rain'' without Slash, and then he created a 14 track album with several masterpieces like TWAT, Prostitute, Madagascar, CITR, This i Love and who knows how many other gems he wrote for upcoming albums we still dont know, everything without Slash.

Your questions it is ridiculous, even more as we know a lot of Slash? albums (WITH OUT AXL) since he left the band. Besides November Rain used to be a song that lasted about 25 minutes, then the whole band, including Slash, work in it. Slash wrote those amazing guitar solos that take the song a next level. On the otther hand, I agree, Chinese Democracy has some masterpiece because Axl is so talented as well as his currente bandmates (like Pitman or Tobias)

Slash is artistically dead from the day he abandoned Axl. He was nothing before Axl, he's nothing now without Axl. That's the word: abandon. Because poor little Slash left the band by his own decision. And then he tried to destroy the band we all love with a bunch of lawyers.

?Slash?s artistically dead?!!. Do you realize the nonsense what are you talking about?.
Slash is absolutely in force, more than ever. Actually, he is currently recording a new record, along to big, big artists.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:02:25 PM by +Rocker+ » Logged

I love you Axl, but I'm also one of "those" Slash supporters haha...
www.rockinslashforum.com
Soon: www.rockin-slash.com
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2009, 01:03:47 PM »

Quote from: Voodoochild link=topic=56298.msg1185927#msg1185927

So,

Most important thing is "to be remembered".

And your personal opinion is a fact.

Got it. It doesn't matter if you happen to support a guy who has done almost nothing worthy in 15 years. ok

Wouldn't Slash having done "almost nothing worthy in 15 years" be considered an opinion too?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »

^ That's called irony. I used my opinion as fact just like he did just to prove a point.

Here you got Big solos, Riff & Songs (Try to focus in Slash's performance):

- "Give In to Me"
- "Beggars & Hangers-On"
- "Neither Can I"
- "Back and Forth Again"
- "Been There Lately"
- "Just Like Anything"
- "Shine"
- "Back to the Moment"
- "Serial Killer"
- "Sucker Train Blues"
- "Fall to Pieces"
- "You Got No Right"
- "Slither"
- "Loving the Alien"
- "Just Sixteen"
- "Gravedancer"
- "Messages"

Some songs written through the years (WIHTOUT AXL), don't you think whether these song would have been
in a same record, would be as good as Chinese Democracy?.
No, IMHO. Give In To Me and You Got No Right are great, tho.

And I think Fall To Pieces is overrated. To me, it would sound like Yesterdays 2 with Axl (which is not that good in my opinion too).

Besides November Rain used to be a song that lasted about 25 minutes, then the whole band, including Slash, work in it.
Source?

I mean, as far as I know, November Rain were already a 10 min song by the time the band really started to working on it. Also, I think Slash didn't want to work on that - Axl said something about that, I guess.

Slash wrote those amazing guitar solos that take the song a next level.
The main melody of the solos were there in the piano demo, from Axl.

But I actually think you're right. Slash's work on the song is amazing, even if he has absolutely NO credit in the writing. Wich reminds me some people who likes to bring writing credits to the whole discussion and to underestimate Robin's work on Chinese Democracy.

On the otther hand, I agree, Chinese Democracy has some masterpiece because Axl is so talented as well as his currente bandmates (like Pitman or Tobias)
Agreed.

Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2009, 03:58:16 PM »

Just to throw a quick point out there about Slash's solos only being good when Axl is around. If you read Slash's book you will see that Axl wasnt therre when he recorded them (which is very normal for the studio), so that is a completely moot point. And as +rocker+ has made a list of incredible guitar work its a dead subject.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2009, 04:27:03 PM »

Just to throw a quick point out there about Slash's solos only being good when Axl is around. If you read Slash's book you will see that Axl wasnt therre when he recorded them (which is very normal for the studio), so that is a completely moot point. And as +rocker+ has made a list of incredible guitar work its a dead subject.

nothing in that fucking guy's book is credible.  and no one who puts "slash is god" as their sig is credible.   
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2009, 07:04:37 PM »

IF its true what Slash said, Axl could very well listen to the recording sessions and push him if it wasn't good enough. Same as Izzy would do with Slash too, I guess.

Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »

nothing in that fucking guy's book is credible.  and no one who puts "slash is god" as their sig is credible.   

No one who uses a qoute from someone he doesnt know to justify his own hatred of people just for liking a musician is credible.

Voodoochild I get your point but to give credit to somebody else for Slash's guitar playing is ridiculous. Slash's GN'R work is generally his best stuff, but the reason is probably that he was at the height of his career and had the determination and passion of being in the band that he got to the top with. Not to say that he hasnt done other amazing guitar work after Guns but everyones creativity has its peaks and troughs.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: