Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  BUY Product
| | |-+  Review of Chinese Democracy on IllitPress.com
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review of Chinese Democracy on IllitPress.com  (Read 4847 times)
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« on: March 23, 2009, 11:30:36 PM »

I decided to wait a few months, and give the album a few solid listens before actually reviewing it.

http://www.illitpress.com

Head over, give a read, and hopefully it'll be entertaining, whether you agree or not.

I hope this gets others to give reviews of the whole album. I find with GnR it's better to listen for a while before reviewing. There's so much to every song, you have to take time to let songs sink in before forming an opinion.

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
Annie
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:37:42 PM »

I didn't agree with everything you said, but your review of TIL brought a tear to my eye. I think it is the best song ever too. love
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 02:23:36 AM »

I couldn't disagree with you more on "Better," Sorry," and "Prostitute." Not only are they three of the best songs on the album, I think they're three of the best songs in the entire GNR catalogue. But that's just my opinion, of course.

I think it's cool that you waited a few months before writing a review. This album can't be digested enough with just a couple of listens. All those negative reviews the album got, I think if those reviewers had waited awhile and listened to the album a few more times, it would've grown on them.

Even my own feelings on certain songs have changed drastically from when I first listened to the album. For instance, I loathed "Shackler's Revenge." I thought it was nothing but a horrible racket. But then I listened to it again . . . and again . . . and again . . . and realized that it's actually pretty damn catchy. Sometimes now I listen to the CD just to hear that one song.

I was hugely disappointed with "Street of Dreams," too. I'd heard live versions of it, and I had this huge expectation in my head of what it would sound like on the album. I pictured Axl singing the opening verses in this soaring, beautiful, high-pitched voice . . . and then I heard the album version and it made me cringe. Why the hell did he sing like that?, I thought. I was pissed off at him for ruining such a beautiful song. Now . . . "Street of Dreams" is one of my favorite songs on the album. I can't get enough of it. And I'm actually glad now that Axl chose to sing it as if his vocal chords were being ripped out as he was recording it. It adds a certain emotion to the song; his voice fits the lyrics he's singing. The same thing applies to his raspy, old man voice in "Madagascar," which I actually loved from the get go, but I know a lot of people felt about his singing in that song the way I did about it in "SOD."

But anyways, nice review. (I particularly liked your description of "Chinese Democracy.")

Here Today . . .
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 02:35:00 AM »

Not to hate on your review, but 4 months I was expecting a little more in depth look inside the songs. Some were just good, not great, good

4 months for that? hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:40:51 AM »

Not to hate on your review, but 4 months I was expecting a little more in depth look inside the songs. Some were just good, not great, good

4 months for that? hihi

Wow, what does the guy want for it being 11 pm, and me being good and solidly drunk while writing the review.

That, and I'm a comedy writer. Don't work for Rolling Stone...lol
I couldn't disagree with you more on "Better," Sorry," and "Prostitute." Not only are they three of the best songs on the album, I think they're three of the best songs in the entire GNR catalogue. But that's just my opinion, of course.

I think it's cool that you waited a few months before writing a review. This album can't be digested enough with just a couple of listens. All those negative reviews the album got, I think if those reviewers had waited awhile and listened to the album a few more times, it would've grown on them.

Even my own feelings on certain songs have changed drastically from when I first listened to the album. For instance, I loathed "Shackler's Revenge." I thought it was nothing but a horrible racket. But then I listened to it again . . . and again . . . and again . . . and realized that it's actually pretty damn catchy. Sometimes now I listen to the CD just to hear that one song.

I was hugely disappointed with "Street of Dreams," too. I'd heard live versions of it, and I had this huge expectation in my head of what it would sound like on the album. I pictured Axl singing the opening verses in this soaring, beautiful, high-pitched voice . . . and then I heard the album version and it made me cringe. Why the hell did he sing like that?, I thought. I was pissed off at him for ruining such a beautiful song. Now . . . "Street of Dreams" is one of my favorite songs on the album. I can't get enough of it. And I'm actually glad now that Axl chose to sing it as if his vocal chords were being ripped out as he was recording it. It adds a certain emotion to the song; his voice fits the lyrics he's singing. The same thing applies to his raspy, old man voice in "Madagascar," which I actually loved from the get go, but I know a lot of people felt about his singing in that song the way I did about it in "SOD."

But anyways, nice review. (I particularly liked your description of "Chinese Democracy.")

Now THAT was a solid response.

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: