Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:01:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The "I don't like three guitar players in the band because I don't get it" thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "I don't like three guitar players in the band because I don't get it" thread  (Read 28436 times)
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »

yeah i know
obviously he hasnt changed.. so why complicate things more?

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2009, 11:43:37 AM »

yea he's still funnah.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »

I dont have ANY issue with GNR having 3 guitar players although i don't think its neccesary.
it would only be neccesary if they were doing harmonies (like maiden), which they arent.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »

I'm kind of torn on this "three guitar players" thing.

On one hand, I think it's unnecessary, and at times, too cluttered.

On the other hand, the band doesn't have a real guitar virtuoso at the moment, IMO. So I'm unsure if any the current guys have the ability to play those solos with the intensity that they need to be played.

While I personally think BBF is a pretty stand up guy, I'm not the biggest fan of his style of playing. His rhythm in the track 'Chinese Democracy' sounded pretty cool. But aside from that, I wasn't overly impressed with his other contributions to the record.

Bucket/Tobias combo would have been the next best thing to Slash/Izzy. JMO.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 02:15:16 PM »

OMG, you just dismissed Ron as a "real guitar virtuoso". You can't be serious.

I dont have ANY issue with GNR having 3 guitar players although i don't think its neccesary.
it would only be neccesary if they were doing harmonies (like maiden), which they arent.
Which would be the chesiest thing in the whole GNR history to do.

It's fine to have 3 guitar players. People can't understand how it brings other styles in a same song rather than having just the same thing over and over. It's not about being "neccessary", it's just a different approach. I don't know how so many bothers so much about it - the band sounds bigger and heavier with them, why is that so bad?

The new songs all have several guitars sounding at the same time. Why people would trade this over a simplistic approach with just 2 guitars making the tune sounding flat?

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2009, 09:22:11 PM »

Why does it bother people that they have three guitar players? Because it's not the AFD line up!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2009, 10:11:58 PM »

Why does it bother people that they have three guitar players? Because it's not the AFD line up!

/jarmo

I wonder if they would bitch if it was Slash, Izzy, and Gilby :p
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 03:48:04 AM »

I wonder if they would bitch if it was Slash, Izzy, and Gilby

Look, im a guitar player.  I know that its kinda difficult as it is with 2 guitar players in a band.  (for timing and shit).
More guitar players can be used for harmonies, which sound fucking awesome.   (Metallica, thin lizzy, maiden)

But if Jimmy page, eddie van halen and Randy Rhoads can sound SO good on their own, why the need for 3?

But, as i said, I DONT have a problem with this!  Its nothing to do with the line up.

I simply wanted to get other musicians opinions on the subject.  ok

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »

Ok, let's have mine, as a guitar player too: I think it sounds better with 3 guitar players. There's no such a problem with timing and shit when you have talented people.

And harmonies are cheesie, but you had this when Robin and Bucket played a small section of the Paradise City ending solo togheter. It was good, but only because it wasn't more than 15 seconds.

To me, it's awesome to have three different guitar players doing it. They are all too different to each other and that's why it worked.

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2009, 08:24:50 AM »

Ok, let's have mine, as a guitar player too: I think it sounds better with 3 guitar players. There's no such a problem with timing and shit when you have talented people.

And harmonies are cheesie, but you had this when Robin and Bucket played a small section of the Paradise City ending solo togheter. It was good, but only because it wasn't more than 15 seconds.

To me, it's awesome to have three different guitar players doing it. They are all too different to each other and that's why it worked.

Thanks man, nice to hear a musicians opinion!  Mind you, i love some harmonies but its never being a Guns thing really.  Listen to Thin Lizzy for some cool harmonies. (Emerald!).  As a guitar player though, you want to be the main man playing the cool parts all the time Smiley lol

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2009, 08:33:58 AM »

I know Thin Lizzy, its not my cup of tea.

I used to play in a band where I was the only lead. While is cool to have all the solo spots, I always thought we could benefit with more variety in one song. Like Izzy playing lead sometimes in Nightrain or Think About You.

Also, having more than 2 guitars, I can worry about nice little details in the song to fill the spots with more than just chords/power chords without making the song sounding thinner.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2009, 01:05:41 AM »

There isn't anything wrong with 3 guitar players, it does sound better live etc

I like defined roles. Lead singer, drummer, bass player, guitar hero, rhythm guitar player who holds it all together etc

with GNR, the solo's are so shared, its hard to truly identify with that one guy.

I understand having the virtuoso position with bucket and now Ron, but it kind of seems Richard and Robin could easily handle the other duties very easily on their own.

Like when Bucket was in the band. His TWAT solo and Sorry solos prove that he isn't only a great shredder, but also the absolute best guitar player on all styles. I would've LOVED to have heard what he could've done with solos on every single song.

I just think bucket is so above the other guitar players on CD, that the solos go from amazing when he is playing to good or ok when the other guys play them.

Robin does well on SOD and Better
Ron does well on CD Shacklers and Riad

but I would love to have heard Bucket on Catcher and This I Love which are two of my favorite songs that i really don't care for the solos esp Catcher.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2009, 01:45:28 PM »

so can we all agree that robin/dj is this, bh/bumble is that and Richard is Richard.

in the 21st century GNR has those 3 outstanding guitar parts.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: