Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:49:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Swine Flu Outbreak
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Swine Flu Outbreak  (Read 25335 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 12:15:59 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30471035/

Of the 91 cases of documented swine flu in the US, only 5 have required hospitalization, including the mexican toddler who passed away in Texas.

The boy DID have other underlying health problems, and apparently his parents didn't seek treatment immediately, but watied a few days after symptoms developed.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »

Like I said, 17 KIDS FROM NEW YORK ON SPRING BREAK IN MEXICO ALL GOT INFECTED.  The odds of them ALL having weak immune systems is pretty much impossible.

A 23 month old died yesterday in Texas.  THIS IS REAL.

Young kids and the elderly die EVERY YEAR from the flu.  They're the most "at risk" group.  Tragic, but true.  This, so far, is FAR less virulent than other flu outbreaks we've seen, including the one back in October/November (which got zero press, FYI).  Most of the cases in the states, (including the 17 kids from NY) have been eminently manageable manifestations.  It remains to be seen just how infectious the disease turns out to be:  So far, it seems to be contained to the groups actually exposed with little sign of secondary infections.  In other words, those 17 kids were likely all exposed multiple times (if not continuously) over the course of their trip.  I haven't seen any reports of infection stemming from casual contact with those patients, YET.  We'll see.

RIGHT NOW, you're in more danger from the sleep you'll lose over this than you are from the actual disease.  That might change...just like it might have changed, or might change, with every flu outbreak we see each and every year.  Right now, it's the media driving the hysteria...not the disease. 

It is NOT time to panic.  Wash your hands.  Try to keep the elderly and very young children out of places they might be exposed, especially if there are reported cases in your area.  Sleep.  Eat well.  Cancel your trips to Mexico.  Watch what the CDC has to say.....and listen with a jaded ear on what the media is reporting.  But any hysteria is a wee bit premature.

Again, our ID people are monitoring it, but are not yet worried. 

Thank god someone's got their head screwed on.

As you said people die of flu every year usually the weak, young and elderly. For now this is no different, just a different strain of flu.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 02:02:15 PM »

Had we enforced a stricter border policy.

Seriously, I live in Tennessee, so as long as it doesn't come here, I may sound like a dick, but I could actually care less.

u don't know the health circumstances surrounding the ones who die. Maybe they have some other disease like HIV or what have u that has already given them a very weak immune system.

I would seriously be pissed if I died at 30 by the fucking flu. All the running, health conscience shit I've done.....

D, these people don't have aids....  Do you think the 17 kids infected from new york that were on spring break had aids too?  Ha, kidding. 

He wasn't saying you need AIDS to become infected, but it would make sense if the deaths were due to a pre-existing immune system issue (which doesn't have to be as serious as AIDS).

Like I said, 17 KIDS FROM NEW YORK ON SPRING BREAK IN MEXICO ALL GOT INFECTED.  The odds of them ALL having weak immune systems is pretty much impossible.

NO NO NO u misunderstood me

I am saying the ones who DIE probably have some type immune deficiency.

elderly- immune systems are weaker
infants- weak immune systems

I can't see a healthy younger person dying unless they don't get treated. sure its possible but highly unlikely.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 02:55:38 PM »

Seriously, I live in Tennessee, so as long as it doesn't come here, I may sound like a dick, but I could actually care less.

u don't know the health circumstances surrounding the ones who die. Maybe they have some other disease like HIV or what have u that has already given them a very weak immune system.

I would seriously be pissed if I died at 30 by the fucking flu. All the running, health conscience shit I've done.....

D, these people don't have aids....  Do you think the 17 kids infected from new york that were on spring break had aids too?  Ha, kidding. 

He wasn't saying you need AIDS to become infected, but it would make sense if the deaths were due to a pre-existing immune system issue (which doesn't have to be as serious as AIDS).

I can't see a healthy younger person dying unless they don't get treated. sure its possible but highly unlikely.

That's not necessarily true. The deadly Spanish flu pandemic which hit during the first world war killed mainly healthy people 20-50. Older folk were protected because of an immunity gained through an earlier outbreak of Russian flu, which was similar.
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »

I found this... http://www.unitedjustice.com/death-statistics.html

Granted, take the figures with a grain of salt, as it is the internet, but anyways, there are thousands of deaths each year associated with the flu in the US. We're at 1. I'm not into conspiracys or anything, but if you ask me this is just something for people to get upset about to forget everything else thats fucked right now.

"Killed by the Common Flu

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that 35 to 50 million Americans come down with the flu during each flu season.The CDC estimates that in the US more than 100,000 people are hospitalized and more than 20,000 people die from the flu and its complications every year.

The Bottom Line...

An Anthrax Epidemic?

Killed in car accidents 42,116* 
Killed by the common flu 20,000* 
Killed by murders 15,517* 
Killed in airline crashes
(of 477m passenger trips) 120 (1)
Killed by lightning strikes 90* 

Killed by Anthrax 5

(1) Annual average over 19 year period.
*Average annual totals in United States."

So my advice, chill the fuck out. Don't go to Mexico, not that I'd want to anyways.

Axl is God.
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:31 PM »

That's not necessarily true. The deadly Spanish flu pandemic which hit during the first world war killed mainly healthy people 20-50. Older folk were protected because of an immunity gained through an earlier outbreak of Russian flu, which was similar.

I think that's when the pandemic label is used, when it kills people in their prime years rather then their early or late years.  At least, that's what I would consider most dangerous.  When the media first started on this, they were saying that it was striking people in that age range, but it seems that it's only really sickening the very young or the very old.

I think it's something to watch, but it's not something to freak about.  The first days, I was frantic, but only because there was so little info, my daughter had been sick, and I was unable to contact her.  Those factors will send any parent into a total panic hihi

I think more people are going to be found with the disease because of all of the coverage, but it will only hit those with weakened immune systems hard enough to kill them.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 04:36:36 PM »

I think that's when the pandemic label is used, when it kills people in their prime years rather then their early or late years.  At least, that's what I would consider most dangerous.  When the media first started on this, they were saying that it was striking people in that age range, but it seems that it's only really sickening the very young or the very old.

The term pandemic refers to the number of people infected i.e. thousands or more across a country or continent. It's nothing to do with the severity of the infection or how many die.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »

I think it's something to watch, but it's not something to freak about.  The first days, I was frantic, but only because there was so little info, my daughter had been sick, and I was unable to contact her.  Those factors will send any parent into a total panic hihi

I think more people are going to be found with the disease because of all of the coverage, but it will only hit those with weakened immune systems hard enough to kill them.

The pandemic tag is not age related. I think latter 20th century flu pandemics hit the elderly and the young moreso.

I do not think there is any need to worry too much right now with this current outbreak. Many parts of Mexico are quite backward with their medical coverage and moreso with their reporting.

Elderly folk are clued up though with their immune systems. It is secondary infections which tend to kill them. Countries need to ensure they have stocks of antibiotics.
Annie
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2009, 04:57:19 PM »

I was watching NIGHTLINE last night, and it seems the source of this infection is corporate greed. The first swine flu victim was a little boy In Mexico who has completely recovered. He lives near these pig farms that are all about profit. They treat the animals very badly, and there is alot of pollution from the farm that is not handled properly. It made me very sad. Just wash your hands and seek medical attention if you get a fever and flu-like symptoms.
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2009, 06:35:32 PM »

the thing its that they keep saying "if you have any sintom, head ache,fiber,muscular pain etc" go inmediatly to the doctor. thas why people get so scare , because this sintoms are very common. also i known of cases of people that go to the doctor and they are returned because they didnt have all the sintoms. so they say to the public to go to the doctor with just one sintom and then they discard them for not having all the others?  Huh

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »

Apparently this shit has invaded Toronto crying

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »

U just have to keep in mind all this shit is just a scare tactic.

The economy is doing better and God forbid people are able to chill and relax. all of this shit is propaganda to control you.

I am not worried at all about this. If I get sick, I will go to the doctor, get pumped full of antibiotics and survive.

If I die, everyone of u can come on here and laugh and say I told you so

but this isn't worth being worried or frightened about.

Annie
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2009, 08:06:43 PM »

I'm only concerned because I will eventually have to care for a patient who has it, and I have become very ill from the flu in the past.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »

I'm only concerned because I will eventually have to care for a patient who has it, and I have become very ill from the flu in the past.

True, but if u mask,gown and glove up, U have a great chance of not getting it.

Annie
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »

True, but if u mask,gown and glove up, U have a great chance of not getting it.
That's true. I'm not so concerned about myself, but more of bringing it home to family members. It will be interesting to see how we limit visitors to patients with swine flu, I worry about them spreading the infection more than the actual hospitalized patients. I am good about following precautions, but alot of people aren't, esp the MDs.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 11:00:19 PM »

D, this isn't a "scare tactic", are you serious?  People are dying... I know what the normal flu does, but this is killing people at a much higher percentage of the normal flu.  36,000 people died from flu last year, okay.  But how many millions had the flew?  Now you have what, 2,500 infected, and what, maybe 15 deaths?  Ask the families in veracruz mexico if this is a scare tactic.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2009, 12:43:38 AM »

The economy is doing better and God forbid people are able to chill and relax. all of this shit is propaganda to control you.

I am not worried at all about this. If I get sick, I will go to the doctor, get pumped full of antibiotics and survive.

Hahahahaha, sitting here at home, with the flu, I can't help but laugh.

I went into work all late today and they sent me home.  I was like, "Seriously?"

I just love a good health scare.  I can get even more days off from work now! 

And no, I'm not going to go see a doctor.  I don't even have 'surance.

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2009, 02:59:25 AM »

We got first one in Finland. Luckily we have 1,7 million units of vaccine to this.

apparently the UK has half a billion units stockpiled.

Haha, show off  Grin
our population is 5,3 million Smiley

Anyone seen this?

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2009, 07:14:20 AM »

FYI, antibiotics don't help with the flu.  It's a virus.  You basically have to let it run it's course....though Tamiflu can reduce severity.  Keep hydrated (VERY important), rest as much as possible, and if you get a REALLY high fever or have trouble with or painful breathing, see your doctor again.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2009, 07:29:57 AM »

D, this isn't a "scare tactic", are you serious?  People are dying... I know what the normal flu does, but this is killing people at a much higher percentage of the normal flu.  36,000 people died from flu last year, okay.  But how many millions had the flew?  Now you have what, 2,500 infected, and what, maybe 15 deaths?  Ask the families in veracruz mexico if this is a scare tactic.

Actually, not it's not.  Not if your numbers, above, are accurate.

0.6% of people infected have died (all confined, really, to a single geographic point of origin...the Texas death STILL had a POO in Mexico).

The death rate, every year, garnered from REPORTED cases to the CDC (which completely ignores people who get the flu, never go to the doctor, never get tested, and just self-care through it because the symptoms are relatively mild) vs deaths, according to the CDC, is pretty much right in line with that %.

The Mexican govt was reporting a 6% or 7% death rate, because they were only counting deaths over reported cases (and may have only been using the "hospitalized cases" as their demoninator...no one is quite sure), at that point, in their country.  They also made the mistake of not counting the patients who had not reported their flu to a physician.....that's part of what has fueled this media barrage.

Again, the FACT is that the death rate doesn't appear to be any higher, so far, than what we see with the "regular" flu we see every year.   AND the deaths all appear to be confined to a regional POO.  So FAR, if you're not in Mexico....your risk level seems to be pretty low for any really serious consequences.

Don't buy into the media frenzy...

Together again,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: