Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227811 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009/2010 Official NHL Hockey Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009/2010 Official NHL Hockey Thread  (Read 48014 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« on: September 12, 2009, 09:59:52 AM »

Should be a very exciting year...Can Pens repeat?Will San Jose be back with a vengance? Rangers loaded up again, Habs,Leafs, Oilers,Flames...Cant wait

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »

COYOTES AUCTION ENDS WITH NO RESOLUTION; BAUM TO RULE LATER

PHOENIX -- The fate of the beleaguered Phoenix Coyotes is now in the hands of one man.

After presiding over four months of hearings, reading more than 950 documents filed with the court and overseeing an auction for the money-losing NHL franchise, Judge Redfield T. Baum must now determine what comes next for the Coyotes.

As the final two days of hearings wrapped up Friday, the self-described sports fan didn't tip his hand about when a decision might come. That seemed perfectly acceptable to both BlackBerry boss Jim Balsillie and the NHL -- two sides that strengthened their bids before Baum banged his gavel one final time and started mulling things over.

"The judge said he's going to take as long as he needs," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said on the courthouse steps. "I respect and commend that decision."

One of the reasons Baum offered for not making an immediate decision was the need to write a clear ruling that will be easily understood by another court. No matter what he ends up deciding, the judge expects this case to be appealed.

The road out of Phoenix probably has a few more twists and turns.

In the meantime, the hockey franchise remains in limbo as it prepares to open training camp at Jobing.com Arena on Saturday morning. One lawyer raised doubt in court whether Wayne Gretzky is still the coach of the team, but Bettman and Coyotes president Doug Moss both indicated afterwards that he'll be present at camp.

The Coyotes open exhibition play Tuesday with split squads hosting the Kings and playing in Los Angeles . Phoenix drops the puck on its regular season Oct. 3 in Los Angeles with the home opener set for Oct. 10 against Columbus.

Meanwhile, hockey fans back in Southern Ontario wait to see if Hamilton will ever host NHL hockey.

When the auction wrapped up early Friday evening, an overall sense of satisfaction and relief was evident among the key players in the case. A notable exception was former Coyotes majority owner Jerry Moyes, who sunk roughly US$300 million into the franchise and sounded off on the league after leaving the court.

"I feel pretty poorly over it to be right honest with you," said Moyes, who favoured Balsillie's bid. "I just don't think I've been treated right. I gave it the 100 per cent try. I feel betrayed by the NHL."

His disappointment is understandable given how little money he stands to receive no matter who ends up getting awarded the team.

"I think I did my part," said Moyes on Friday. "I put plenty of money in and plenty of time in it. I gave it the best try I could and hockey will not work in the south.

"Mr. Bettman's plan is not working out. You have Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Atlanta and Tampa Bay all in trouble, it's just not working in the south. These teams have to go north where everybody loves hockey."

"Considering the NHL has been supporting this team for the past year when Mr. Moyes was supposed to be, I find those comments quite disappointing," said Bettman when informed of Moyes's comments.

Both sides sweetened some aspects of their offers during the final hours of Friday's hearing.

The Balsillie camp amended its US$242.5-million bid to guarantee that the city of Glendale, the Phoenix suburb where the Coyotes play, would receive US$50 million free of any conditions. In his earlier bid, that amount could have been as low as $40 million. Balsillie also removed his Sept. 21 deadline for completion of the sale.

The NHL, meanwhile, kept its bid at US$140 million but agreed that Moyes and Gretzky, who is also the team's managing partner, should come away with some US$14 million between them. Moyes would get the lion's share of that.

On the final day of hearings, Balsillie took some personal shots from NHL lawyer Tony Clark -- who suggested the co-CEO of Research in Motion might one day be "rehabilitated" enough to be fit for team ownership -- but walked out of the courtroom with a big smile on his face.

"The goal is a very clear one, it's the same as I said the very first day and that is I want to bring a team to Southern Ontario," said Balsillie. "That is my lifelong dream. We need a fair shot and a level playing field -- and I got that today and that was really my only objective.

"I couldn't be more pleased."

Balsillie wants the judge to overrule the NHL board of governors' 26-0 rejection of him as an owner -- the league deemed him untrustworthy. He also wants Baum to allow the team to be relocated without the league's approval and to set a fee to be paid for that relocation.

NHL lawyers argued that Balsillie's refusal to go through the proper league channels for getting a franchise led to him being rejected. All sales of NHL clubs need to be approved by the board of governors and owners are expected to apply to the league in order to relocate a team.

If Balsillie "wants to understand why he has been rebuffed in his sincere and indisputably passionate desire to be a team owner, what he needs to do is he needs to look in the mirror," Clark said. "He brought this about on himself by his refusal to abide by the rules."

Rebuffed by a league that didn't want to admit him to its club, Balsillie took his fight to the people with a website and corporate sponsors. His entrepreneurial approach won over hockey fans in Ontario but soured the league even more.

While it's nearly impossible to project which way the poker-faced judge might be leaning, most of the interested parties sided with the NHL. The largest unsecured creditor (SOF investments), city of Glendale and the committee of unsecured creditors all spoke up in favour of the league's bid.

Moyes was the lone party to back Balsillie.

The judge again floated the idea that he might reject both bids, noting that a potential purchaser must satisfy several legal requirements.

"If you don't both get there, it's going to be hard to approve it," he said.

Clark, the NHL lawyer, informed Baum that the league would seek a ruling allowing it to take control of the team if both bids were tossed -- an indication that it wouldn't mind a "no sale" determination. Balsillie lawyer Jeff Kessler, on the other hand, likened such a ruling to "letting the patient die."

Bettman was put on the stand for 50 minutes worth of questioning Friday, but it didn't produce much drama. The former lawyer exuded confidence and calm while answering questions that mostly centred around the league's decision to join the bidding process.

The NHL waived its opportunity to cross-examine Balsillie, who failed in previous attempts to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins and Nashville Predators. So the Canadian billionaire was unable to make his case personally.

He still appears to be facing an uphill battle. Early in the second day of hearings, the judge noted that the ruling Balsillie wants would be unprecedented.

"Doesn't it strike you as unusual," he asked Balsillie lawyer Susan Freeman, "that in the bankruptcy code of 1978, 31 years later, nobody's ever crossed this bridge before and approved this kind of relocation?"

Now Baum is left to decide whether he'll be the first.

Everyone else seemed determined to get back to day-to-day business -- with the league hoping that focus shifts away from everything that played out in this Phoenix courtroom.

"On a lighter note, (training) camps open tomorrow so maybe we can start paying a little bit of attention to what goes on on the ice," said Bettman.

After a long summer spent dealing with innumerable issues surrounding the Coyotes, the commissioner feels like the season has snuck up on him.

"In some respects, it's hard for me to believe it's September because I'm not sure where the summer went," said Bettman. "But it's not about me and that's OK. We did everything we felt we had to do."

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:15:32 AM »

FLEURY INVITED TO PARTICIPATE IN FLAMES' CAMP

CALGARY -- Calgary is where Theoren Fleury started his remarkable NHL career. It may also be where he resurrects it.

In an interview with radio station The Fan 960 on Friday, the 41-year-old former all-star said an NHL team had invited him to training camp and he would arrive on Saturday. While Fleury didn't identify the team, several media reports said it was the Calgary Flames.

"I've basically been doing everything I can to prepare myself for tomorrow," Fleury told the radio station. "I think the biggest asset I have to bring to an organization is the experience that I have. That's what they're getting when they get me tomorrow."

"I'm still in shock, it's been a very long road," Fleury told TSN on Thursday after hearing he would be reinstated.

The Flames would not confirm Friday night if Fleury, who lives in Calgary and played 11 seasons there, was offered a tryout.

Fleury's last season was with the Chicago Blackhawks in 2002-03 when he was suspended indefinitely then for violating the NHL's substance abuse policy.

Fleury says he's sober now. The Oxbow, Sask., native asked for reinstatement and it was granted by the NHL and NHL Players' Association late Thursday night.

"I know Theo pretty well," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in Phoenix. "We had spent some time together when things in his life were a little less settled. Seeing him last night, he looked terrific, he sounded terrific, he seems to be in a good place, he's been sober for a number of years.

"We wish him well. I hope he can fulfil his dream and come back."

COMRIE RETURNS TO OILERS, AGREES TO ONE-YEAR DEAL

Who says you can't go home again?

Edmonton native Mike Comrie has agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Oilers worth $1.125 million.

Comrie, originally drafted by Edmonton in the third round (91st overall) in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft, rejoins the Oilers after having played there from 2000-2003.

"I had to make a decision on some of the options I had,"Comrie said. "This was the one that felt right. I got chills walking back into this rink. It's been a while since I had a feeling like that."

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 02:08:29 AM »

SENS DEAL HEATLEY TO SHARKS FOR MICHALEK, CHEECHOO

Disgruntled forward Dany Heatley has gotten his wish.

Heatley and a fifth round draft pick have been traded to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and a second round pick.

''I'm excited obviously, I'm excited to be a Shark,'' Heatley said. ''I want to thank everyone in Ottawa, the organization, the fans, and the city. I had a great four years here (and) I'm happy to move on.''

Trade discussions heated up on Friday and Saturday morning before a deal was finally agreed upon - a deal that sends Heatley to the team he secretly wanted to play for all along, a team he believed was an option when he refused to waive his no-move clause to accept a trade to the Edmonton Oilers.

"It's a deal that we talked about throughout the summer, although Michalek came in late," Senators GM Bryan Murray said after announcing the deal some six hours into the first day of training camp.

"I talked to Dany (on Friday) and he was adamant that he wanted to be moved. And we felt based on that, more than anything, that we should get the value that we could get for him and move on. What we care about are the guys that are in our room and we feel that this makes the core group know where they are going forward."

Murray spoke with Senators owner Eugene Melnyk who told his GM: "if this is a deal you feel will make our team better or make the room better - do it."

Saturday's trade ends a saga that began with a verbal trade request in mid-May, a request, sources say, that led to several discussions between Heatley, Murray, Senators coach Cory Clouston, as well as Heatley's agents, JP Barry and Stacey McAlpine.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »

KESSEL TRADED TO MAPLE LEAFS, SIGNS 5-YEAR, $27M CONTRACT

The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a first and a second round pick in 2010, and a first round pick in 2011.

Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal.

While both the Nashville Predators and New York Rangers had shown interest, Leafs' general manager Brian Burke's persistence finally paid off.

Kessel is expected to arrive in Toronto on Saturday.

Burke believes that this is a clear sign to the team which direction he believes they are headed.

"Bringing Phil Kessel aboard, it's a statement to our players that we intend to be competitive right away, and I think he gives us a dimension that we need," Burke told reporters following the Maple Leafs pre-season victory over the Penguins Friday.

He added that Kessel is extremely excited to be coming to Toronto.

"This is a free agent that could have signed with other teams, he wanted to sign with us, and I think it's an important pick up for us."

While Burke admitted that the price-tag to acquire a player like Kessel was high, it was feasible for several reasons.

"It's a very high price but it's one we feel makes sense for us and I think what's made it possible to expend those picks is two focuses: one is that he's a young player, he's not even 22 yet," Burke said.

"And second, we think with some of the players we acquired without giving up picks like Tyler Bozak, (Robert) Slaney, (Christian) Hanson and (Jonas) Gustavsson, these are players that were they available on the draft would command a high price like that. We feel by stocking the cupboard we can take some of the cans off the shelf for the future."

The trade ends a saga that began during the lead-up to the NHL Draft when Kessel originally appeared to be headed to Toronto in exchange for defenceman Tomas Kaberle and a draft pick.  However, the deal was scuttled at the last moment due to a miscommunication over the pick.

The Bruins had been unable to re-sign the 21-year old Kessel and the two sides were miles apart on a new contract. A restricted free agent, Kessel was reportedly looking for a deal in the neighbourhood of $4-5 million a season, while the Bruins, who are right up against the league mandated $56.8 million salary cap, could not afford to sign the Madison, Wisconsin native to the terms he desired.

Kessel informed the team through his agent last week that he was through negotiating and intended to sign an offer sheet with one of the league's other 29 clubs.

The newest Leaf, who is sidelined until at least November following rotator cuff surgery, overcame a battle with testicular cancer in 2006 and captured the Masterton Trophy in 2007 for perseverance and dedication to hockey. He enjoyed a career season with the Bruins last year, leading the team with 36 goals in 70 games while adding 24 assists to finish with a career high 60 points. He was selected in the first round, fifth overall by the Bruins in the 2006 NHL Entry draft.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 01:01:33 PM »

No Blackhawks in Toronto this year crying

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »

GRETZKY RESIGNS AS COACH OF COYOTES; TIPPETT TAKES OVER

The Phoenix Coyotes saga took another dramatic turn on Thursday, as Wayne Gretzky has stepped down from his post as the team's head coach. The team announced later in the day that former Dallas Stars head coach Dave Tippett has been hired to replace Gretzky behind the bench.

"This was a difficult decision that I've thought long and hard about," Gretzky said in a statement. "We all hoped there would be a resolution earlier this month to the Coyotes ownership situation, but the decision is taking longer than expected.  Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don't fit into their future plans, I approached General Manger Don Maloney and suggested he begin looking for someone to replace me as coach.  Don has worked hard and explored many options.  I think he has made an excellent choice, and so now it's time for me to step aside.

Gretzky, who joined the Coyotes as a managing partner in 2000, was named head coach of the club in August of 2005 and signed a five-year contract to continue to serve as part owner, managing partner, alternate governor and head coach the following year.

The Coyotes never made the playoffs during their four seasons with Gretzky behind the bench. From 2005-06 to 2008-09, he had a 143-161-24 record for a .473 winning percentage.

"The Coyotes scouting staff has put together a great group of young and talented players who are going to improve tremendously over the next few years," the statement read.  "I'm proud of the team we've assembled, the organization with which I've been associated and the thousands of dedicated fans who have never wavered in their support of this young team. I'm confident that the best is yet to come for hockey in Phoenix."

This development comes as Judge Redfield T. Baum continues to mull over a decision on the fate of the NHL franchise. On Wednesday, lawyers representing Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie strengthened their case for the team, saying Balsillie has pledged to keep it in Glendale this season if he wins an auction for the financially troubled club.

Gretzky had been absent since the start of Coyotes training camp last week and a team spokesman said Gretzky wouldn''t participate until his contractual situation was resolved. Interim coach Ulf Samuelsson has taken over and the club has also hired veteran coach Dave King as an assistant.

"I want to thank every staff member of the Phoenix Coyotes, past and present.  It was a real pleasure to work with each and every one of you," the statement said. "I've always said that Phoenix is a great sports city and deserves nothing but the best.  I still believe that. As a young boy, I learned to play hockey in Southern Ontario, and I know what great fans they have there.  It's my hope they too will have an NHL franchise in the not too distant future.

"I often said it was the greatest honour and privilege I could imagine to be able to play in the National Hockey League.  I feel the same way about being an NHL coach.  I've loved the four years I spent coaching the Coyotes.  Not a day went by when I took it for granted, and I will miss the competition of the NHL dearly.  It was an honour to hold the position, and I will always consider myself especially fortunate to have had this opportunity."

NHL on TSN analyst Darren Pang weighed in on the move shortly after the announcement came on Thursday.

"I know for a fact this has been toughest on Wayne Gretzky personally," Pang said.  "Obviously he's taken a lot of hits from a lot of people who don't know the situation, but it has been very frustrating for Wayne because he wanted all along to be with the hockey club.

"He wanted to be coaching the team.  He was obviously told to stay away with the uncertainty of the bankruptcy hearing," Pang said. "I know that Wayne Gretzky has been greatly disappointed. To step aside at this point is the right thing.  He's obviously been beaten around a little bit and doesn't have the energy or authority to be there. For all of us that know Wayne and what he's put into this, this has been a very disappointing time for Wayne and not a lot of people have gone to bat for him, and that's even more discouraging."

"I think it's unbelievable that it's come to this," said NHL on TSN analyst Pierre McGuire. "The pot-shots and the gratuitous "illegal hits" - I'd like to call them - on Wayne Gretzky right now have been ridiculous. No man has done more in terms of reaching out and trying to build the game in the NHL than Gretzky."

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman released a statement after Gretzky's announcement. It read:

"As always, Wayne placed the welfare of the team ahead of his own in making this extremely difficult decision. While the Coyotes have not had the degree of on-ice success that always has been Wayne's objective, there can be no question he has played a vital role in the youth movement that has positioned the Coyotes for success in the future.

?We have nothing but admiration for all that Wayne has done for the game, and are extremely hopeful there will be a prominent role for Wayne with the Coyotes if the League's bid for the Club is successful. We look forward to his continued involvement."

Tippett's hiring, meanwhile, marks a new direction for the team.

Tippett was fired by the Dallas Stars in June, after the team finished a disappointing 12th in the Western Conference despite being a favourite to challenge for a Stanley Cup when the season began.

"It's another step in clearing things up and hopefully moving things forward," said Coyotes captain Shane Doan at the press conference announcing Tippett's hiring.

"I think we have a very motivated group," said Tippett. "There are a lot of off-ice situations that we can't control. We're going to concentrate on what we've got to do on the ice - earn the right to be a playoff team, and earn the right to compete for the Stanley Cup."

Tippett, who joined the Stars in May 2002 and led the team to two Pacific Division titles, has a solid 271-156-28-37 record in six seasons behind the bench.

"I'm grateful for Dave coming here," said Coyotes general manager Don Maloney. "He knows what we have here, and he knows what we're building, and he knows that we have a lot of work to do. I think that Dave has the right chemistry and fit to make it happen."

The Moosomin, Saskatchewan native also played 11 seasons in the NHL and accumulated 93 goals and 169 assists in 721 career games.  Following his playing career, Tippett led the IHL's Houston Aeros to the 1999 Turner Cup while serving the dual role of general manager and head coach.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »

Good.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:15 PM »

ISLANDERS CLAIM OILERS' SCHREMP ON WAIVERS

Rob Schremp is on the move to the New York Islanders, after the club put in a waiver claim on the forward. 

Schremp did not make the Oilers and was ticketed for Springfield of the American League, but this was the first year he was required to clear waivers to be sent down.

The Islanders, by virtue of their last-place finish last season, got first crack at any player on waivers.

Sources say the Isles want to give the prolific junior scoring star a chance to play.

Schremp, who was selected 25th overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, has tallied 3 assists in seven career NHL games.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:48 PM »

LOMBARDI: LOS ANGELES KINGS HAVE INTEREST IN GRETZKY

If Wayne Gretzky wants to return to the National Hockey League in some capacity, count the Los Angeles Kings as one of the teams interested in The Great One.

Kings president and general manager Dean Lombardi expressed his interest in Gretzky in an interview with the Fan 590 radio station in Toronto.

Lombardi, who said he spoke briefly to Gretzky, didn't specify the role that he had in mind for the NHL's career-leading scorer.

"I'd like to bring (Gretzky) back in some capacity now that he's done there," Lombardi told the Fan 590. "I think when you talk about kids learning to win, I think it would be great if we could bring him back to where he almost brought this place to the promised land."

Gretzky resigned from his post as the head coach of the Phoenix Coyotes last week, after being absent from the club during training camp, while the fate of the club sits in bankruptcy court.

Gretzky, who joined the Coyotes as a managing partner in 2000, was named head coach of the Coyotes in August of 2005 and signed a five-year contract to continue to serve as part owner, managing partner, alternate governor and head coach the following year.

The Coyotes never made the playoffs during their four seasons with Gretzky behind the bench. From 2005-06 to 2008-09, he had a 143-161-24 record for a .473 winning percentage.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 08:53:28 AM »

Yeah, he did such brilliant things with the Coyotes, let's sign him again.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:25:04 PM »

SERGEI KOSTITSYN SUSPENDED BY HABS; REQUESTS TRADE
VETERAN DEFENCEMAN BLAKE PICKED AS SHARKS' NEW CAPTAIN
REPORT: SENS' PROSPECT ZUBOV DEMANDS TRADE
HURRICANES SIGN WARD TO SIX-YEAR, $37.8 MILLION EXTENSION

MATS SUNDIN ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT AFTER 18 NHL SEASONS

Mats Sundin has ended the speculation and officially announced his retirement.

The former Toronto Maple Leafs captain made the announcement at a news conference in Sweden on Wednesday.

''It was just time, I think. Obviously, it's not an easy decision but I feel with body and soul right now, it's time to quit my professional career as a hockey player,'' said Sundin. ''I'm very glad that I played last season with the Vancouver Canucks and I think I needed that. But now with the season getting started again, it actually feels nice not having to practice every day and play games every other day so I think this is the right time for me.''

Sundin was drafted first overall by the Quebec Nordiques in 1989 and made his NHL debut one year later. In his rookie campaign, he scored 23 goals and 59 points in 80 games. Prior to the 1994-95 season, Sundin was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs in a blockbuster that included former Leafs' captain Wendel Clark heading to the Quebec capital. He finished his career with the Vancouver Canucks last season.

"I'm obviously very grateful for having a chance to play in the National Hockey League and represent the Quebec Nordiques, Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks," said Sundin. "It has been a dream come true for me.''

While Sundin had his share of success - a Swedish league title, World Championships in 1991, '92 and '98, and an Olympic Gold in 2006 - he was never able to capture a Stanley Cup.

The 38-year-old leaves the NHL having amassed 1,349 points (564 goals, 785 assists over 1,346), ranking him 25th on the all-time list. However, Sundin is one of only five NHL players to have scored at least 500 goals and never played in a Stanley Cup Final but the eight-time NHL All-Star said the playoff success did not bother him.

"No, not really," chuckled Sundin when asked if he had regrets over not winning a Stanley Cup. "I don't feel bad. On the other hand, I had so much fun playing in the NHL and I experienced so much, I feel I got what I wanted from that league."

Sundin ranks fourth in points among European-born players and holds the records for goals (420), game winning goals (79), powerplay goals (124) and points (987) with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"I spent 13 years with the Toronto Maple Leafs and I had the honour to be the captain for the most historic and greatest franchise in hockey history and it's also my second home," added Sundin.

"I learned so much from Mats, it was a pleasure playing with him," said current Maple Leaf Matt Stajan. "I don't think any of us who played with him could ask for a better guy to be our captain or leader."

"He was such a great Leaf, he had a great career, he could arguably go down as the greatest Leaf player ever," former Maple Leafs' general manager Cliff Fletcher told THE CANADIAN PRESS.

Sundin's success and dedication also impacted young players in Sweden.

"It didn't matter if the night before he got knocked out of the playoffs here, or if he had an injury or something, he was always there when the national team needed him," explained Stockholm native Viktor Stalberg. "He's been a great role model, not only for me, but for a lot of young Swedish players."

He was the first European to be selected with the top overall pick in the NHL Entry Draft when the Quebec Nordiques drafted him in 1989.

Edmonton Oilers head coach Pat Quinn, who coached Sundin in Toronto, spoke highly of the player who captained the team while he was there.

"For me, it was a great experience to have him as a player on the team that I was involved with," said the former Leafs head coach. "He's a gentleman, he's a wonderful athlete, he was a good captain for the Toronto Maple Leafs and certainly an honest, everyday performer who was very dependable."

"He probably was underrated," offered Quinn. "He wasn't a major top scorer and that maybe wasn't because he couldn't do it but because he tried to do things that were important to winning at the end of the day."

Current Leafs' president and general manager Brian Burke conveyed the thoughts of the Leafs' organization in a statement.

"The Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Club would like to congratulate Mats Sundin on a tremendous playing career in the National Hockey League," said Burke.

Note: Some answers translated from Swedish by Svenska Dogbladet reporter Janne Bengtsson

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »

I want to go to Opening Night.

Hockey, I missed you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 04:21:10 PM »

Hey kids, I got NHL Center Ice for free!

If you have DIRECTV and want this, shoot me a PM.
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 06:12:14 PM »

hockey is back  Grin

though i'm not too optimistic about the oilers chances this year

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 09:00:11 PM »

hockey is back  Grin

Feel free to give us Khabi' back then Grin

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 09:31:56 PM »

CANADIENS' MARKOV TO MISS 3-4 MONTHS WITH TORN TENDON

Montreal Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov will be out four months with a torn tendon that he suffered on opening night. He isn't expected to return until after the Vancouver Olympics in February.

The veteran defenceman suffered the injury during a collision with goalie Carey Price in the third period of Thursday's 4-3 overtime win over the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Markov had surgery on Thursday night following the game in Toronto to repair the laceration to his ankle.

"It's not a very nice feeling knowing that it was your skate that did it," Price said. "But then again, you know there's nothing you can really do about it."

Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin acknowledged the loss of Markov but said the team is moving forward with an optimistic outlook.

"No doubt Andrei was our top defenceman but we've added some experience back there, we've added some size and now we feel that our three pairs are going to be asked to do a job," said head coach Jacques Martin. "It's definitely an emotional shock to our players. At the same time, I think they realize that it's an opportunity for somebody else and it may be a situation now where we have to rely on three pairs to do the job."

Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »

hockey is back  Grin

Feel free to give us Khabi' back then Grin

after saturday nights shocker are you sure  hihi

much more hopefull for this season after the opening game, stupid mistake from khabi cost us a point at least. but wow hardly any new faces in via trade or free agency yet it looks like a totally new team  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH9O6Ie_7nA even dustin penner turned up and played physical!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:22:04 AM by Alan » Logged

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
sandman
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 12:39:54 PM »

i'm going to the Flyers home opener tonight. can't wait. ovechkin might be the athlete i'd most like to see in person. i can't take my eyes off him when he's on the ice. hopefully he doesn't kill us tonight.

i'm fired up for this flyers team! alot of new faces which makes the games even more exciting/interesting to watch. and through 2 games, the results are positive. holmgren took some major risks, but they are looking good so far.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 09:04:36 PM »

i'm going to the Flyers home opener tonight. can't wait. ovechkin might be the athlete i'd most like to see in person. i can't take my eyes off him when he's on the ice. hopefully he doesn't kill us tonight.

i'm fired up for this flyers team! alot of new faces which makes the games even more exciting/interesting to watch. and through 2 games, the results are positive. holmgren took some major risks, but they are looking good so far.

Good choice of game so far..

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: