Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  10 year old doesn't know how to blow up a balloon?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10 year old doesn't know how to blow up a balloon?  (Read 2750 times)
andy1981
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: October 05, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »

Figured its kinda safe to post here as really nobody knows me, so here goes...

I'm a Scout leader (no jokes about paedos/pervs please, heard em all) and last week we were doing a little project about land speed records. To safely demonstrate speed/propulsion I had the kids make balloon powered cars to race along the floor. No big deal really, just an activity for them, however I had 3 kids out of my group come up to me and ask me to blow the balloons up for them. I told them to stop being such little girls and do it themselves. (The kids are aged 10-14.)

Now I dunno about you, and maye i'm looking into things too deep but surely, at 10 years old a perfectly healty kid should know how to blow up a balloon? I've thought about this over the weekend and can only come to the conclusion that the world is a pretty fucked up place when a kid doesn't know how to do such a simple task.

discussed it with my mom, and she thinks its because kids nowadays are pretty much handed everything and most things are either on TV or computer/games consoles, so the days of making things, climbing trees and physically doing things seem to be gone.

Just find that strange, anyone care to discuss?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:04:13 AM by andy1981 » Logged
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:47:14 AM »

Maybe they've never seen a balloon before (unlikely in the West, I know...) or they have breathing problems and can't blow up a balloon. You should really ask them why.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:51:00 AM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 03:23:54 PM »

Figured its kinda safe to post here as really nobody knows me, so here goes...

I'm a Scout leader (no jokes about paedos/pervs please, heard em all) and last week we were doing a little project about land speed records. To safely demonstrate speed/propulsion I had the kids make balloon powered cars to race along the floor. No big deal really, just an activity for them, however I had 3 kids out of my group come up to me and ask me to blow the balloons up for them. I told them to stop being such little girls and do it themselves. (The kids are aged 10-14.)

Now I dunno about you, and maye i'm looking into things too deep but surely, at 10 years old a perfectly healty kid should know how to blow up a balloon? I've thought about this over the weekend and can only come to the conclusion that the world is a pretty fucked up place when a kid doesn't know how to do such a simple task.

discussed it with my mom, and she thinks its because kids nowadays are pretty much handed everything and most things are either on TV or computer/games consoles, so the days of making things, climbing trees and physically doing things seem to be gone.

Just find that strange, anyone care to discuss?

I never blew up a balloon until I was 18. I think I tried blowing up a balloon when I was younger, but it was one of those modelling balloons, and you need alot of puff for them, which I just didn't have. I think I then assumed I could not do it and let others do it insteadIt was never an issue  hihi
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »

I know this may seem odd, but both of my girls were terrified of balloons when they were little, due to the fact they were always afraid of them popping.  It was the whole anticipation of the "what if" for them, but I must say that one of them has overcome it completely and the other still has the slight bit of fear on the back burner, but they can both blow up a balloon. We were able to by-pass the issue when they were little by purchasing the decorative helium balloons, that were alot less likely to pop.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 08:18:34 AM »

I dunno man, I think you're being a tad harsh... Should a 10yr old be able to blow one up?? Yes

But at the same time we have no idea what that kid has been through, and how he was raised...

Thats kinda why he's in the scouts right? Help him learn things, even if you think its something ridiculous he should know
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »

Maybe he's never had the opportunity to blow up a balloon.

From the sounds of it, his parents have ignored him practically his whole life.  That's why he got dumped off with the Scouts.

Let's be honest, it's just another form of daycare, but you get badges and get to sell crappy shit to raise money for a raft!
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »

maybe he has a small lung capacity, or hes just a germaphobe like me?

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 05:50:03 PM »

Why's it that big of a deal?

Maybe the kid never gave two shits about learning how to blow a balloon up, Maybe he's incapable, or was scared as a tyke by one.

I'm twenty - and never cared to blow up a balloon, granted I can, I've just never cared to.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 03:13:46 AM »

In the end it's just pathetic. Scared to blow up a balloon? And what, that they have an incapability to blow up a balloon, no how probable is that? (Unless Andy1981 is leading scouts for the handicapped).

I remember when D blew up all the balloons he found in my car's glovebox....

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
andy1981
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 04:05:17 AM »

In the end it's just pathetic. Scared to blow up a balloon? And what, that they have an incapability to blow up a balloon, no how probable is that? (Unless Andy1981 is leading scouts for the handicapped).

Thankyou (no they are not handicapped, just regular hyper 10 year olds)

Thats almost a week now and although its puzzled me am over it now, gonna have to just introduce them to doing MAN things gradually.

interestingly theres an article on the BBC news website about the same subject http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8294502.stm
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 05:30:28 AM »

is blowing up balloons manly these days??  hihi
Im 23 years old, have a college diploma bla bla bla and i have never blown up a balloon. 
I tried once or twice and just couldnt do it lol!
I also cant whistle! 

Maybe its just one of them things

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 06:15:16 AM »

Im 23 years old, have a college diploma bla bla bla and i have never blown up a balloon. 
I also cant whistle! 

Sure, you don't have to blow balloons, but asking your wife to do it when your kids have a birthday-party, well, that defines a loser to me.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »

I also cant whistle! 

Sure, you don't have to blow balloons, but asking your wife to do it when your kids have a birthday-party, well, that defines a loser to me.

Surely the guy would be drilling holes and what not, to up decorations haha!

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: