Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:03:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR sued for plagiarism
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR sued for plagiarism  (Read 56072 times)
mesaboogie
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2009, 07:28:54 AM »

So from reading the above we are being told a guy in production took/wrote/borrowed music and said dont worry about any paper work its all sorted lads! to which the expert Azoff said thats grand dude we trust you...lets go ahead with the distribution of one of the most anticipated albums of all time  I thought this type of thing would be managed a bit more tightly than it appears from the statement above.

It's virtually impossible to check every single thing on an album like you want.

How do you start? By listening to everything recorded since day one and compare to your new songs?

The Rolling Stones "borrowed" a main part of a song and didn't realize it. It was a big hit too!

Imagine that they didn't manage to check if one of their new songs sounded like something that had been on the radio/MTV a few years earlier.... It wasn't even a bit of the intro.

Seems to me like you're looking for clues that aren't there again.

/jarmo

"The band believed when the record came out and still believes that there are no unauthorized samples on the track"
My final point on this is that this statement confirms no checking was done on the piece of music supplied. To believe something you have been told as opposed to knowing something (preferably in a legal format) are very different things.
I know what you are saying re the greater world of music and impossible to check, but if this was supplied by production then surely you would ask..where did this come from? If you wrote it please complete this document...if you got it from someone else who wrote it..get them to complete this document..ye know.
I dont think its impossible to check who has written everything thats on this album! when you look at the CD inlay in particular everything is very documented about its writers...more than on any inlay I have seen.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:38:55 AM by mesaboogie » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »

Coldplay didn't get any negative venom in the press and aren't polarizing like Axl either. The headlines are VERY misleading when it comes to GNR.

You should be used to the fact that everything gets twisted around with GN'R in the press.

so if my honesty rubs u the wrong way, I'm not apologizing for it. Being accused of plagiarism is the worst thing u can be accused of.

Your "honesty" isn't exactly the positive D you claim to be.

people don't care about the truth, they see the headline and that is what they will believe.

So do some fans. Who should know better but don't want to.

I know what you are saying re the greater world of music and impossible to check, but if this was supplied by production then surely you would ask..where did this come from? If you wrote it please complete this document...if you got it from someone else who wrote it..get them to complete this document..ye know.

Where does it say they didn't ask?

Coldplay stole an entire song and melodies and didn't get this misleading of headlines.

Some headlines about that:

Coldplay Sued By Joe Satriani For 'Viva La Vida' Melody (MTV), Joe Satriani sues Coldplay over 'Viva La Vida' (LA Times), Coldplay sued by Joe Satriani for copyright infringement (The Guardian), Joe Satriani claims Coldplay plagiarism was a 'dagger through my heart' (NME), Satriani claims Coldplay stole song (Chicago Tribune), Guitarist Sues Over 2008 Coldplay Hit (ABC News), Coldplay sued for plagiarism (ITV) ?

Pretty similar to GN'R's headlines. You're right, in GN'R's case, they use the same words to describe something minor...

But the point is. Do people dislike that band more nowadays? They still seem to sell out stadiums in the UK....

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:09:58 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2009, 09:23:33 AM »

I hated Coldplay before and still hate them now, so my opinion has not changed due to their copyright case.

And GNR is not going to lose any fans over this case either.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »

the complaint is circulating as .pdf!
it appears they allready contacted Geffen on Feb 26, 2009 but without any reply by the defendants....

Re-Union time, baby!!
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »

Press always hated GNR... 80's, 90's, 2000, etc.

that is true but a few like gnr
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2009, 11:05:59 AM »

I cant believe the amount of bullshit I read here. When something positive comes up, people dont believe. When negative shit pops out, its like "thats it, the band is finished".
I think that is because the positive things that pop up are few and far between and are never really pushed or backed up. Whenever there seems to be some sort of momentum it generally is never backed up with more positive momentum. The stop and go stuff has hindered all that.

For the most part, as many people have stated, the press generally gives Axl/GnR a bad rap. So whenever they smell blood they come out and start adding to the pile. If GNR could just be like every other band out there and rock the world with music, tours, interviews, etc for a cycle of time they can just thwart a lot of that bs.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2009, 11:16:34 AM »

If GNR could just be like every other band out there and rock the world with music, tours, interviews, etc for a cycle of time they can just thwart a lot of that bs.

I don't agree with that at all.  People will continue to demonize Axl for all the things that have happened in the past, especially for the demise of the old band, no matter what.  I recently read an interview with Vernon Reid from Living Color talking about "One In A Million" as if it happened recently when it happened 20 years ago.  Perhaps some of the BS can be halted with more regular activity, but I think Axl will forever be a whipping boy for the press so long as the new band exists and the old band is a distant memory.

Ali
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »

Guns N' Roses: The NEW PLAGIARISTS

Plagiarism is fashionable. And it Just ask the likes of groups Coldplay, Amaral, Black Eyed Peas and a long list of artists caught red-handed with their hands in the dough. Today, it's up to shame an institution of rock: Guns N'Roses

Even the classic monsters in the history of music can rely on divine inspiration intermittent. Sooner or later, all the great composers of this planet will face the always desperate "blank sheet". However, while some opt for patience, effort, or resignation, others prefer not to waste time seeking enlightenment and lost his prying eyes posing in existing works.

Michael Jackson, MAN G, Oasis, Alejandro Sanz, Shakira and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are among the names belonging to the Black Legend of imitation. If the cases mentioned above could generate a discussion about the chances, that of Guns N 'Roses (or what remains of them), little or nothing to do with chance. Here is no question of interpretation, the fact is undisputed here.

http://musica.terra.es/articulo/guns-n-roses-6646.htm

pd. Sorry BY Translation..

pd1. AXL Face... Kick Ass !!

hihi
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:28:44 AM by HBK » Logged

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #208 on: October 08, 2009, 11:51:44 AM »

I don't agree with that at all.  People will continue to demonize Axl for all the things that have happened in the past, especially for the demise of the old band, no matter what.  I recently read an interview with Vernon Reid from Living Color talking about "One In A Million" as if it happened recently when it happened 20 years ago.  Perhaps some of the BS can be halted with more regular activity, but I think Axl will forever be a whipping boy for the press so long as the new band exists and the old band is a distant memory.

I totally agree. I didnt mean to say that regular activitity would end all the negativity. I meant that it would simply curtail some of it. But we both agree that Axl will generally never get the benefit of the doubt from the media. But that might be a good thing because it probably fuels him....which in turn..helps create great music/lyrics

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #209 on: October 08, 2009, 11:55:32 AM »

Guns N' Roses' manager fires back at plagiarism accusations

Guns N' Roses' manager has fired back at allegations the band illegally borrowed music from an German electronic pop artist.

Axl Rose's band and Universal Music Group executives have been sued by bosses at two indie record labels, who have accused them of copying portions of songs by Ulrich Schnauss.

Record companies Independiente and Domino claim 'Raid N' The Bedouins', a track on Guns N' Roses' 2008 album Chinese Democracy, features illegal samples of Schnauss' 'Wherever You Are' and 'A Strangely Isolated Place'.

But music mogul Irving Azoff insists the band didn't knowingly use any samples.

A statement from the manager reads, "The band believed, when the record came out, and still believes that there are no unauthorised samples on the track. The snippets of ambient noise in question were provided by a member of the album?s production team who has assured us that these few seconds of sound were obtained legitimately.

"Artists these days can?t read the minds of those they collaborate with and therefore are unfortunately vulnerable to claims like this one. While the band resents the implication that they would ever use another artist?s work improperly and are assessing possible counterclaims, they are confident this situation will be satisfactorily resolved."

http://www.3news.co.nz/Guns-N-Roses-manager-fires-back-at-plagiarism-accusations/tabid/418/articleID/124427/cat/55/Default.aspx

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2009, 02:43:21 PM »

yeah but most of those ColdPlay headlines weren't too bad. Satriani CLAIMS etc just seems like he said he said. With some of the GNR it is just stuff like "GNR Sued for Plagiarism" and that one above, GNR the new plagiarist.

I think it sucks that people are going to think GNR stole a song when what is on there is so insignificant, it is ridiculous.

but think about people in the world, they read a headline and automatically believe it to be true. I wasn't being "Negative" just pointing out why this is bad for GNR and how I wish they would move away from the entire CD era and start with something else just due to how much stuff has went wrong in this particular era.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2009, 02:49:59 PM »

As with anything, sensationalism, gossip and negativity sells.

It seems like the truth doesn't interest the masses.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
dyd
Headliner

« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2009, 03:24:52 PM »

anyone can remember since when Chinese Democracy is released? Huh 1 year and soon the guy is now saying "OMG ,they copied my song"  rofl

it's just fucking ridiculous Roll Eyes

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »

Let's see how many times we'll have the same article posted by this guy.

As journalist, I would say it really doesn't. But still, it's up to the media to check the facts before publish it.

In this case, I think the Rolling Stone article was more accurate and didn't judge the band before hearing from them.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »

Ok, we appreciate all the news articles, but unless there's something new in them, please don't post more...

They're all the same, except some are in non-English.

Thanks.

/jarmo

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »

Damn! GnR used some sounds in the intro to a song, that sounds like something a german artist used some years ago.. Hey, lets sue GnR for make music! Ive heard that kind of art has been made before...! and the colors on the album cover!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2009, 03:47:08 PM »

This whole thing is ridiculous... "Riad" is one of my favorite songs on CD and the intro is cool. That said- it's hardly an essential element of the song and Axl probably hums more interesting tunes while cleaning out his sock drawer. If it had been properly pointed out to him that the clip was protected and needed a license/release- I'm sure he would have applied for one OR scrapped it and come up with something cool on his own. Sorry- but you can't tell me that the same guy who dreamed up the masterpieces that are "November Rain", "Estranged" and "Prostitute" couldn't come with an alternate intro to "Riad". Hell... knowing Axl he probably has 35 different intros sitting in his studio vault!

IF GN'Rs at fault- it's only in its licensing review process and/or not getting to the bottom of this and settling with this guy before it went public...

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:52:52 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
bev
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2009, 04:50:57 PM »

Pagiarism.................definitely not a good look.

Your right Jarmo it's all those things, sensationalism, gossip and negativity which sells.

However, the problem is that perception is reality in most cases and I can't believe after having so many years to deliver the album that they could be so sloppy.

Great song by the way, easily my favourite song off the album!

willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2009, 04:55:44 PM »

/jarmo

So very true! And GNR have had to put up with it all along and I don't think it will ever go away. They like trying to provoke Axl and they always will. He is a guy that will stand up for what he believes And they just can't stand that. I wish there were more men out there like that!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #219 on: October 08, 2009, 09:11:30 PM »

what looks bad is didn't u guys say they left that out of the rockband version?

Almost could be seen as an admission of guilt........ so that could help the German dude in court.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: