Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:26:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  GN'R On Tour!
| | |-+  World Tour 2009-14
| | | |-+  January 16th, 2010 - Calgary, AB @ Pengrowth Saddledome
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: January 16th, 2010 - Calgary, AB @ Pengrowth Saddledome  (Read 27445 times)
AC
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 11:31:43 AM »

So what's the plan for Calgary dudes?

AC

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 04:19:53 PM »

If there's any interest, I'm sure we could decide on a pre-show location.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 10:43:58 PM »

Rose & Crown is a good location... I'm not a huge fan of the food or the atmosphere, but you can't get much closer to the Dome.  Might be hard to get a table for 5 or 6 pm on a Saturday.

I can make a reservation, how many people we looking at?

EDIT:  I slept on it and it came to me all of a sudden; The Unicorn.  I've been there a few times; service, drinks, and food are better than Rose & Crown imo.   The selling point is it's 2 blocks away from the C Train, which gets us to the Saddledome in less than 5 minutes.  Even if it's -30C we won't have to walk outside more than 3 minutes.  Location is Stephen (8th) Ave. and 2nd St. SW.  Menu is here: http://www.theunicorncalgary.com/docs/Unicorn%20Menu.pdf
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:56:10 AM by Backslash » Logged

GNRevolution... the missing link.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 01:31:58 PM »

Just agree on and name a place. I'll put the info in the first post.

I'll try to be there as well, depending on my schedule...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 11:55:06 PM »

Just agree on and name a place. I'll put the info in the first post.

I'll try to be there as well, depending on my schedule...

/jarmo

Well the wife and I have agreed on The Unicorn.  Others are welcome to join us.   The more the merrier.  beer

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »

Added the info to the first post.  ok

/jarmo

AC
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 05:40:48 PM »

Too bad about the meeting place. I can't convince anyone I'm going with to go to that part of town (or that bar in particular). It's a ghost town on Saturday's on Stephen Ave Mall. I still suggesting hitting up something on or just off of 17th Ave where there's some action. Even if you can't reserve/get a table it's all good to stand and have some ambience!  beer

The Rose & Crown is a huge step up from The Unicorn. There's also some really cool places from (and including) Melrose Bar all the way down to 4th Street SW.

AC

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 06:44:25 PM »

So the place suggested is too far away from the venue?

/jarmo

Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »

Jarmo,  R&C is no closer than the Unicorn when you factor in that you'd have to walk from there vs. transit from the Unicorn.  I think AC is just looking for a more lively scene than I am. 

Too bad about the meeting place. I can't convince anyone I'm going with to go to that part of town (or that bar in particular). It's a ghost town on Saturday's on Stephen Ave Mall. I still suggesting hitting up something on or just off of 17th Ave where there's some action. Even if you can't reserve/get a table it's all good to stand and have some ambience!  beer

The Rose & Crown is a huge step up from The Unicorn. There's also some really cool places from (and including) Melrose Bar all the way down to 4th Street SW.

AC

Fine... I don't care where, I just want a brew with some fans.  Jarmo, sorry for all the commotion, change it to the Rose & Crown.  I'd rather stand and eat shitty appetizers with a few fans than just have a quiet dinner for two with the wife at the Unicorn before going to see GNR.  hihi

No need to bother making a reservation, either.  My only concern is that, isn't the R&C a restaurant type at dinner time?  If that's the case, would they let us just stand around?  If they don't, there are lots of other places to go, as AC says.  Melrose is great, but again, that's a sit-down type place at that time of day.

And after the show, when everyone's all good and liquored up, I recommend hitting the Red Mile again.  especially for some Tubby Dog.   drool  Who doesn't love a hotdog that's wrapped in bacon, then deep-friedand topped with chili, hot peppers, sauteed onions, ham, eggs, and cheese?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »

So neither place is a pub?

Huh

/jarmo

Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »

So neither place is a pub?

Huh

/jarmo

They're both pubs, just not in the traditional sense, I suppose.  Jarmo, I don't know what your definition of a pub is, being that we are from different parts of the world.

I'm a Newfie, so to me, a pub is like an Irish pub.  You go in, sit down, buy a few pints and eat a few appetizers, while talking loudly with buddies over great music or a sports game on a big screen.  The Unicorn is more of this kind of pub.  The Rose & Crown is like this too, but they focus more on their food around dinner time.  At say 8 pm, they are more of a pub. 

Some people call a pub a place where you pay a cover to stand around drinking and try to pick up women on the dance floor while a DJ plays shitty techno music.  A lot of other places on 17th are like that.

Long story short, they're both pubs.  One just concentrates more on food than delivering a pub experience at dinner time.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 09:19:28 PM »

A pub is what you find in the UK! Wink

So yeah, a place where they serve food, but that's usually not why people go there.

Some have TVs, quiz machines, pool tables...

Disco? Nah....

Unless you start a drunken dance!

/jarmo

Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »

A pub is what you find in the UK! Wink

So yeah, a place where they serve food, but that's usually not why people go there.

Some have TVs, quiz machines, pool tables...

Disco? Nah....

Unless you start a drunken dance!

/jarmo

Sounds like you want the Atlantic Trap and Gill, which would be my first choice.  Of course, being an East-Coaster, I'm biased, and people from Calgary don't really like the bar.  It's close to a transit station, again 5 minutes from the Saddledome by train.

We're turning this into the Hamilton debate. haha...

I'm open to anywhere though, if AC is set on the Rose and Crown, I don't mind.  The venue doesn't matter, as long as the beer is cold and the company is good.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 10:13:51 PM »

The venue doesn't matter, as long as the beer is cold and the company is good.

Yeah!

/jarmo

AC
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »

So the place suggested is too far away from the venue?

/jarmo

It's definitely not convenient to walk to the venue from the Unicorn. Like the person said you would take a train. Anything off of 17th Ave SW is walkable to the venue.

AC

AC
Rocker

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 07:35:17 PM »

Jarmo,  R&C is no closer than the Unicorn when you factor in that you'd have to walk from there vs. transit from the Unicorn.  I think AC is just looking for a more lively scene than I am. 

AC

Fine... I don't care where, I just want a brew with some fans.  Jarmo, sorry for all the commotion, change it to the Rose & Crown.  I'd rather stand and eat shitty appetizers with a few fans than just have a quiet dinner for two with the wife at the Unicorn before going to see GNR.  hihi

No need to bother making a reservation, either.  My only concern is that, isn't the R&C a restaurant type at dinner time?  If that's the case, would they let us just stand around?  If they don't, there are lots of other places to go, as AC says.  Melrose is great, but again, that's a sit-down type place at that time of day.

And after the show, when everyone's all good and liquored up, I recommend hitting the Red Mile again.  especially for some Tubby Dog.   drool  Who doesn't love a hotdog that's wrapped in bacon, then deep-friedand topped with chili, hot peppers, sauteed onions, ham, eggs, and cheese?

Tubby Dog is great.

I think the Rose & Crown is pretty good all times of the day. That time of the day might be "slower" anywhere I guess. Definitely slow on Stephen Ave on the weekends, if not a ghost town. Melrose is pretty hopping all day on Saturday's as it is the "trendy" place to go in Calgary. On the bar side it's usually pretty busy and if the weather holds up as nice as it is right now it's going to be packed. But packed is good if you want ambience. We're thinking of hitting up some sushi on 4th street for dinner and then going out for beers after that. There's also the James Joyce if someone wants a "real" pub...haha. Post what the final decision is and I'll get my peeps to come with (try anyway).

Cheers,
AC

AC
Rocker

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »

The venue doesn't matter, as long as the beer is cold and the company is good.

Yeah!

/jarmo

At the end of the day this IS all that matters. Will let you guys all decide and will look for the "final" place closer to the show.

How are we going to recognize each other? haha.

AC

AC
Rocker

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »

Here's a link showing the walking distance from Melrose (farthest good place on 17th Ave S.W.) to the Venue:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=730+17+Avenue+Southwest,+Calgary,+AB+T2S+0B7+(Melrose+Cafe+%26+Bar)&daddr=MacLeod+Trail+SE+to:MacLeod+Trail+SE+to:51.038432,-114.058267&hl=en&geocode=FZbGCgMdUE0z-SHDJzPVNIWMyClz7_8KH3BxUzGuvGHMtJub-g%3BFejICgMdjpoz-Q%3BFejICgMdjpoz-Q%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=17&via=1,2&dirflg=w&sll=51.039134,-114.056454&sspn=0.005984,0.010761&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

Here's a link from the Rose & Crown:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=rose+and+crown&daddr=MacLeod+Trail+SE&hl=en&geocode=FVfKCgMdJ2gz-SFNoIdR865iASkZzQs9HHBxUzEjcDEf0a6lkA%3BFejICgMdjpoz-Q&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=51.039208,-114.056454&sspn=0.005835,0.010761&ie=UTF8&ll=51.03933,-114.065037&spn=0.011671,0.021522&t=h&z=16

So it's a pretty close walk. Most people from the Flames games and concerts go the 17th Ave route to the Saddledome.

AC

rhiad
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »

Hey everyone! I was able to purchase a floor ticket! So, if anyone (or you know anyone) that wants a seat ticket, let me know. Buy me a shirt at the show and the ticket is yours! See all of you soon
prairie
Headliner

www.gnrtv.com - All GNR, all the time.

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 12:04:53 PM »

I'm in for the pre show.

prairieboy,

At www.gnrtv.com, it's all GNR videos, all the time.  Plus a few other goodies.

I'm not interested in petty online fights with strangers.  I'm here for fun, if my post has upset you - Sorry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: