Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 01:15:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228008 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses to headline Download 2010?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses to headline Download 2010?  (Read 29028 times)
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2009, 04:20:31 PM »

Good point.

But I wonder if that's still true with the Chinese Democracy material.

It just seems to me like the kind of album that would also appeal to people who don't listen to hard rock/metal.

/jarmo

Could be... time will tell. Unfortunately,  CD is not very popular - or to put it in a better way 'known album' - in my country; so it's not very obvious which kind of music listners appreciate the new album more
As far as my friends go, it are still the real 'rock lovers' that are more into CD. The others ones not really...too bad for them ofcourse.

I think the tour can make things more clear. How will the band play the new songs, how will DJ Ashba doing...will Guns show some new or 'refreshed' attitude? We'll see.

One thing I'm certain: Great shows will attrack (a lot of) new fans from any genre...
 peace

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
JAC185
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »

I see Guns as (the best) hardrock band, not a 'metal' band; and I have the feeling they are much more appreciated by the rock/metal fans scene and so also in those kind of festivals, than by the more 'alternative / pop rock /...' scene
At least that's what I experience during my festival visits and with the people I know...
 peace

Good point.

But I wonder if that's still true with the Chinese Democracy material.

It just seems to me like the kind of album that would also appeal to people who don't listen to hard rock/metal.

/jarmo

I agree with this a million per cent. The new vibe could go down a treat at Glastonbury, but to play there, barring some major publicity in the UK beforehand, they would have to settle for a lesser slot than they could achieve at any other festival over here.
fieldsy
Careless whisper
VIP

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »

The thing about Glastonbury is that they have ALL kinds of bands there.  From rap, indie, rock to folk.  Thats the idea behind the festival - to pull down barriers.  There was a massive anti Jay-Z campaign when he played, yet when I saw the set on tv, 80,000 fans where lapping him up.  I can remember going to Reading 07 and listening to bands that I would never really think about listening yet going oput and buying there CD afterwards.

However, I still stick to my idea that as U2 seem to be the big rock act at Glastonbury next year, another rock act like GNR would be unlikely.  Maybe one for the future.  Plus next year is the anniverssary of the festival.  I would expect someone like David Bowie to headline the other night. 

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2009, 05:15:06 AM »

Interesting poster on the frontpage of a Finnish metal festival. Now they don't say anything about a certain band, but the imagery tickles a bit. Friday and Saturady still need a headlining band...

http://www.sauna-open-air.fi/

It made one of the Finnish tabloids.

The headline says: Finnish festival accidentally reveals its headliners?

And then points out the guns and roses in the advert for next summer's festival....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2009, 05:55:04 AM »

The thing about Glastonbury is that they have ALL kinds of bands there.  From rap, indie, rock to folk.  Thats the idea behind the festival - to pull down barriers.  There was a massive anti Jay-Z campaign when he played, yet when I saw the set on tv, 80,000 fans where lapping him up.  I can remember going to Reading 07 and listening to bands that I would never really think about listening yet going oput and buying there CD afterwards.

I agree, and the Isle of Wight do the same, but on a smaller scale (65,000) and I  have also done the same with buying CD's having heard the bands on the IOW

However, I still stick to my idea that as U2 seem to be the big rock act at Glastonbury next year, another rock act like GNR would be unlikely.  Maybe one for the future. 

I don't agree with this, but I don't see GnR playing warm up to anybody else. I think any festival wouldn't shy away from two similar genre playing the top spot over 2 of 3 days. But  Gn'R, if pitched against three other "top billing" act, one of which was U2, I think the promoter would in their case might want them to play before U2, rather than give them the headline spot. On the other hand, if U2 has top billing one night, if it were  The Who, The Rolling Stones or Oasis, they'd get the second night spot for being massive and/or more "current" in Britain. In the case of G n' R, they really needed to have a charted song or 2 released in the past couple of years. I'm not saying I agree with this as a policy, but saying things as I see them Sad.

Plus next year is the anniverssary of the festival. 

This year is the 40th Anniversary of the biggest and best Isle of Wight festival

I would expect someone like David Bowie to headline the other night. 

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:57:02 AM by wight gunner » Logged

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
axe
Rocker

« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2009, 06:30:13 AM »

Interesting poster on the frontpage of a Finnish metal festival. Now they don't say anything about a certain band, but the imagery tickles a bit. Friday and Saturady still need a headlining band...

http://www.sauna-open-air.fi/

It made one of the Finnish tabloids.

The headline says: Finnish festival accidentally reveals its headliners?

And then points out the guns and roses in the advert for next summer's festival....

/jarmo

The promoter now denies the rumour and insists that GNR is not coming to the festival. According to the promoter, the images of pistols and roses are common images used in hard rock mythology, like skulls and snakes and stuff, and they have no further meaning in the poster.

http://www.soundi.fi/node/9978/Guns/N%27/Roses/ei/saavu/Sauna/Open/Airiin
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2009, 06:41:23 AM »

Good thing they made that clear!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
wadey
Legend

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2009, 08:58:57 AM »

when i saw GnR at leeds carling festival the line up was very much metal/rock

slipknot - offspring - prodigy - just to name a few........but i see your point about other festivals playing less rock

Maybe it's just me, but in your list I only see one true metalband and that's Slipnot.
Offspring is a popular rockband, but for me..I call them 'kiddie rock'...the kind of pseudo punk rock you like between your 14 and 20's..
prodigy? That's dance! (maybe they have a rock attitude...but the music is not)

I see Guns as (the best) hardrock band, not a 'metal' band; and I have the feeling they are much more appreciated by the rock/metal fans scene and so also in those kind of festivals, than by the more 'alternative / pop rock /...' scene
At least that's what I experience during my festival visits and with the people I know...
 peace

to be fair to the prodigy, yes theyre more dance but they had a real rock sound on the night and they did impress me.  peace

over the course of the weekend the top bands included
Guns, slipknot, offspring, foo fighters, andrew wk, nofx, strokes, janes addiction, prodigy, white stripes, muse, ash, hives, and many many more
 definately a more rock insprired festival than most but not as loud as donny  Wink

but yeah the offspring are more kiddie rock  rofl

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2009, 09:57:09 AM »

i think hard rock crowd and metal one differ a bit.
for example, metal fans don't like it when they can't headbang to the music.  Tongue
wadey
Legend

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »

i think hard rock crowd and metal one differ a bit.
for example, metal fans don't like it when they can't headbang to the music.  Tongue

monsters of rock at donny 88' was more of a metal festival than rock but did you see the crowd go crazy when guns came on headbanger

edit - unfortunatley though i think they went too crazy   Sad
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:16:51 AM by wadey » Logged

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »

GNR playing Glastonbury just seems.... wrong. Tongue

I know they have bands and artist from different genres, but whenever I hear "Glastonbury" I can't help but hear "indie". Bleh.

Bruce Springsteen, Jay-Z, Neil Young, U2, The Who... Indie? Wink

/jarmo

I don't know what it is.... Maybe I think GNR are a bit... 'heavy' for Glastonbury. To me, they seem more suited to a festival like Download.

They may very well get a good reception at Glastonbury if they played there, I don't know. I'd hope they would....

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2009, 02:36:56 PM »

i'm a metal fan, would love to go to download one day.. but i dig a couple of hundred songs i guess that i don't bang my head to  Wink
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »

likewise, altho im not a heavy metal fan i dig some heavy metal songs to which i don't bang my head but maybe dance. headbanger

I don't know what it is.... Maybe I think GNR are a bit... 'heavy' for Glastonbury. To me, they seem more suited to a festival like Download.

They may very well get a good reception at Glastonbury if they played there, I don't know. I'd hope they would....

Brad, im sure
like they won over the tough download crowd a few years ago, they will pwn Glastonbury (if they play) headbanger
fieldsy
Careless whisper
VIP

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »

Thats why I loved Download 06.  That show showed all the signs of going to shit but from the moment NR was played it turned into one of my favourite GNR shows of that summer.

audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2009, 07:39:02 AM »

Thats why I loved Download 06.  That show showed all the signs of going to shit but from the moment NR was played it turned into one of my favourite GNR shows of that summer.

So true, for a moment I thought I was seeing the end of GN'R as we know it - then after Stinson's rant, Axl, the band, and the crowd went crazy, it was amazing  love

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
Leddy
Rocker

Asphinctersayswhat?

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2009, 08:33:48 AM »

So true, for a moment I thought I was seeing the end of GN'R as we know it - then after Stinson's rant, Axl, the band, and the crowd went crazy, it was amazing  love

I completely agree, I loved that show - the band showed a lot of character and turned the whole thing around after a difficult start.  ok

I'm sure "Hired Guns" couldn't have shown the same determination and commitment  Wink
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

Yeah.

People can watch Youtube clips all they want, or read reviews... But unless you were there and saw the band turn that thing around, you have no real idea about how different the two halves really were.

/jarmo

fieldsy
Careless whisper
VIP

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2009, 07:05:30 AM »

exactly.  The sun was shining, the show was going to shit and then suddenly something got turned round into one of the most remeberable gigs I have seen.  I honestly thought that after Better the show was going to be over.  Showed to me just how good this band is.  And also how much of a team they are.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2009, 01:49:12 PM »

Yeah.

People can watch Youtube clips all they want, or read reviews... But unless you were there and saw the band turn that thing around, you have no real idea about how different the two halves really were.

/jarmo

I wasn't there, but I think the bootleg gives a pretty good picture of how big of a turn around it was. I listen to it every so often and it's flat out amazing how different the vibe is (even on just an audience recording) from the beginning songs from the end ones.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
wadey
Legend

« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »

i didnt get half as many bottles to the back of my head after NR was played  hihi hihi  it was fucking painful before hand  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: