Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:30:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Your top ten albums of the 2000s?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your top ten albums of the 2000s?  (Read 7670 times)
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« on: November 19, 2009, 03:32:24 PM »

The decade is nearly over (Shocked) so all sorts of 'best of the decade' lists will be springing up I expect. So why not here too? Cheesy Despite all the indie and the emo, there's been some decent music this decade so what are everyone's favourite albums? I do like more than ten albums from the decade so narrowing it down to ten means some will be left out. In no particular order, I'll go for....:

*AC/DC - Black Ice

It probably didn't have to be 15 songs long, but I guess they wanted to make up for the eight-year gap since Stiff Upper Lip. An album which Black Ice is much better than IMO. Brian Johnson especially sounds a lot better. His voice wasn't all that strong on SUL I thought and the band had to kinda hold back as well as a result. Seems odd that he sounds better in his early 60s than his early 50s but whatever. Hopefully it won't be their last album as has been suggested, but if it is, it's probably the best album they could leave us with. yes

*Velvet Revolver - Contraband

Even though I've had this album for three or four years, it's only recently I've gone back and listened to it properly. I listened to songs from Libertad more, but having gone back and listened to Contraband again, I think it's a better album overall. Like Black Ice, I don't think it would have hurt if it had been a couple of songs shorter, but songs like Slither, Big Machine, Spectacle and Headspace more than make up for any not-so-good ones. Cool Libertad's good, but thanks to my recent Contraband trip, I'm gonna have to put it here.

*Evanescence - Fallen

A band I doubt I'd listen to if it weren't for Amy Lee. Their songs aren't particularly 'fun' so to speak, but she really does have a great voice and regardless of who's in the band (people quit or get fired on a fairly regular basis it would seem), I think I'll like the music if she's singing. The next album The Open Door is pretty good too, but this remains my favourite. There are great album tracks like Taking Over Me and Imaginary which could have been 'the hits' from this album as easily as Bring Me To Life, My Immortal, Going Under etc.

*Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin

"What the $%@#?" you may well be thinking, but before anyone throws their Radiohead CDs at the monitor in anger, let me just clarify something. UMS is a more 'serious' album than people would normally associate her with and I just really like most of the songs on it. Some might think the dark, 'teen angst' thing on this album is a bit contrived but I think it makes for some good songs. Call it a guilty pleasure if you like, but I like this album. Plus, she's hot. Grin (Which had no influence on me putting her in this list. Not at all.)

*System Of A Down - Toxicity

I'd heard lots of positive things about SOAD and this album so I eventually decided to check them/it out. I don't really know how I'd describe the music on Toxicity or why I like it to someone who hasn't ever heard it. It's sort of quirky, manic, funny, intelligent, bizarre, paranoid heavy metal with lyrics about prisons, the police and..... pogo sticks. Yeah, it's better to listen to it yourself. Wink

*Garbage - Bleed Like Me

This is probably their most 'rock-based' album, if you could call it that, though there's still the electronic/pop thing going on in a lot of the songs too. I have all their albums except Beautiful Garbage and this is the one I like the most. Lyrics-wise, it might not be as strong as their other stuff but I can easily look past that. Grin Personal favourite track is Bad Boyfriend, featuring Mr. Dave Grohl on the drums. Cheesy

*Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

The only AIC album I owned before I got this one was Dirt, but I think DuVall is a great choice as lead singer. They have the reputation of being dour and gloomy and whatnot, but there's some surprisingly catchy songs on this album. Check My Brain may be the best song of 2009. Which might not be saying much, but it's still a damn good song. ok The likes of Lesson Learned, Your Decision, Take Her Out and the title track aren't bad either.

*Oasis - Heathen Chemistry

They were unlikely to make an album better than their first two, and most music critics like to point that out, but I think their 2000s stuff is still very good. Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants has some good songs on it, but I haven't really listened to it enough to put it in my top ten. This album I have listened to though and do like a lot. The first half especially, with Stop Crying Your Heart Out, Songbird, Little By Little etc. being highlights. The second half is weaker IMO, though Better Man is quite good, and reminds me a little, teeny-tiny bit of Led Zep. Shocked

*KT Tunstall - Drastic Fantastic

I'm not normally a huge fan of the singer-songwriter with an acoustic guitar set-up so I'm kinda surprised by how much I like this album. That said, this album is less 'folky' than her debut, and a few songs are in more of a pop/rock direction. The songs are memorable, she doesn't come across as being overly-serious, and she's Scottish! What's not to love? Grin

* GNR - Chinese Democracy

Worried I'd forgotten? Wink I think GNR are one of those bands who I'm almost guaranteed to like any album they put out in the future (which hopefully won't be another 15 years this time Tongue). I know there are some who are hailing CD as a masterpiece and such, and while I'm not sure I'd personally go that far, I still like it a lot and, save for This I Love (which hasn't really done much for me), don't think there's a weak song on the album. Personal favs are Madagascar, TWAT and Protitute, but TBH, I like all the songs for what they are, whether they're 'rockers', 'ballads' or somewhere in between.... yes

Honourable mentions: Slipknot - Iowa; Paramore - Riot!; The Rolling Stones - Shine A Light

Hmmm, that was slightly longer than I intended. Oh well. Vote away!

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:54:19 PM »

fuck this is like a really hard thing to decide. i wont even remember half of them.

Obviously

CRASHDIET - Rest in Sleaze
The album which brought glam metal back into the music world seriously. This album was a huge inspiration for a shitload of bands to come out in the second half of the decade. And is a really important album to me.

Hardcore Superstar - self titled

This album. Tbh theirs nothing quite like it. Hardcore Superstar on this album just hit all the marks. Its sleazy rock but crossed with some pretty heavy metal influences. Every track is great.

Nickelback - The Long Road
Haters everywhere. Back off. Yes, they are commercial, but it that doesnt always mean something sucks!! The Long Road is a great album, i first heard it when i was about 13 and i still enjoy it now. So that to me says it was a good album.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
These guys really made a statement and started something with this album. These guys were lucky they had successful singles, because the album content sounds like Syd Barret era Pink Floyd gone 00s, definitely not accessible at all. Fortunately due to their success, they have influenced a whole generation of musicians and a new scene is right out of Brooklyn atm n im hooked on it.

Amazing Baby - Rewild
From the Brooklyn scene, this psychedelic rock band take what MGMT did and mix it up with the attitude n sleazy rock of T-Rex. This album is fucking brilliant, i suggest you guys that are into your more artsy rock check into them.

Airbourne - Runnin Wild
Absolutely not original at all. But for a bog standard hard rock album. This album kicks the shit out of me everytime. And i think all of us were surprised by its success. This album fucking kicks ass major.

Marilyn Manson - Golden Age of Grotesque
Say what you want about this album. Manson doing some of his heaviest industrial metal ever. With a different lyrical style to what he had previously done, its very interesting. It may not be anything like, or as good as Mechanical Animals. But as far as industrial goes. This is one of the best industrial influenced albums of the 00s.

Janes Addiction - Strays
Janes rock, and while this album isnt as raw or crazy as early Janes. I love the songs on it. Its a great rock album with memorable songs.

Thats all i can think of right now.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:00:30 PM by mrlee » Logged

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »

Don't know if I've liked 10 bu here is the list

1.Red Hot Chili Peppers "By The Way" album absolutely saved my life. It reached my hands at the absolute perfect moment when i was absolutely at rock bottom. those songs resonated and spoke to me: stand out songs: Dosed, Zephyr Song, Can't Stop, Venice Queen, Warm Tape, Tear, Don't Forget Me

2.Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stadium Arcadium" Both discs stayed in my CD player for about a year and a half. This album is very special to me cause it hit me at the peak of my life so far and I have very fond memories everytime i listen to this.
STand Out tracks: Dani California, Snow, Stadium Arcadium, C'mon Girl, Wet Sand, Hey, Desecration Smile, Tell Me Baby, If, Hard to Concentrate, Turn it Again, Death Of A Martian

3.Velvet Revolver "Contraband" the single great workout CD of the 21st century. This has been my go to workout, weightlifting/running CD since it came out. this album is guaranteed to get your adrenaline pumping each and everytime. stand out tracks: STB,DIFTK, Fall to Pieces, Spectacle, Headspace, Dirty Little thing, Slither, YGNR, Set me Free, LTA

4.Metallca "Death Magnetic"  Like VR, this album is a quintessential workout CD and since most of my life revolves around working out, this thing gets me fired up and has some of the best guitar riffs ever laid down on a CD. its my favorite metallica CD ever as well.  stand out: That Was Just Your Life, End of the line, Broken beat and scarred, Day that never comes, Cyanide... shit the whole album is amazing no filler.

5.Guns N Roses "Chinese Democracy" disclaimer though, had this came out when By The Way came out, it would be number 1 by a landslide. Problem with this album is timing.... if i were heartbroken or sad, this album would be the champion and greatest ever... I am not though, so i find i have to be in certain moods to really listen to it. the leaks also didn't help as I had really worn out so many songs the time I finally got it.  stand outs :Shackler's Twat, Sorry,If The World, Madagascar, TIL Prostitute

6.Bon Jovi "Lost Highway" I absolutely love this album. the songs really hit me in a deep place cause a lot were written about the death of Richie's dad and my dad had passed so the really struck home. Album isn't really Country country, just some really great softer songs:  Stand outs: Make A Memory, Any Other Day, Seat Next to You, Whole Lotta Leavin, One Step Closer, The Last Night

7.Nine Inch Nails "Year Zero" What an amazing concept album this is stayed in my CD player for a very long time

8.Prince Musicology his best in a very long time: Million Days, Call My Name, If I were the man in your life, Reflection

9.Bon Jovi  Bounce One of their least successful albums but this album has some amazing songs that I still love so much: Undivided, Everyday, Open All Night, Right Side Of Wrong, The distance

10. Kanye West  Graduation   excellent songs on here "Stronger", Good life, the glory, I wonder, Big Brother, Can't Tell Me Nothing

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:17:13 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 05:31:17 PM »

in no particular order...

1.Guns N Roses- "Chinese Democracy"---enough said

2. Metallica "Death Magnetic"  Amazing record, songs are great 1-10 on this one, great guitar playing, great record.

3. Avenged Sevenfold "Waking the Fallen"-The best band to come out since Guns N Roses, finally are getting some recognition.  Great live band, great song wrting, great guitar playing etc etc etc..

4. Avenged Sevenfold "Avenged Sevenfold" -- diverse record, rock operas, metal songs, country songs...you name it.

5. Green Day "American Idiot"..a very good pop punk band from the 90's turns into one of the biggest bands on earth.

6. Bon Jovi- "Crush"  For me this was Bon Jovi's comeback record, even though they never really went anywhere..this brought them back to mainstream radio.   This selection could have easily been "Bounce", "Have a nice Day" or "Lost Highway".

7. Velvet Revolver-"Contraband"-a reminder of how great this COULD have been.

8. Megadeth- "Endgame"-Possibly Dave Mustaines crowning moment.  When it comes to guitar playing, he is better than you, and has no problem letting you know about it on this record.

9. Metallica "St Anger"  Metallica's worst album is also their most necessary.  There is no Metallica without this record.

10. My Chemical Romance- "The Black Parade".  Making jersey proud, pop punk, metal, hard rock, there is no way to define this record.  Hard to imagine this band started in 2001.
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »

not in a particular order

Outkast - Stankonia

John Frusciante - To Record Only Water For 10 Days

Christina Aguilera - Stripped

Ani Difranco - Knuckle Down

Muse - Blackholes & Revalations

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Eddie Vedder - Into The Wild

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero

Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy

Loaded - Sick

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 07:46:49 AM »

^ Reminding me of Outkast.

Personally im gonna go with "The Love Down Below". Technically an Andre 3000 solo album. This is the closest hes ever got to sounding like Prince, n i fuckin love it. All the singles from that time are classics and remind me of specific moments in my life in a better time years ago.

@Bodhi, surprised you listed MCR. I wont pretend i dont loathe them but out of interest. Why do think Black Parade is one of the best (in rock) of the 00's. And what are your thoughts on MCR returnin to their earlier sounds with their new album soon to be out?

Edit to add even more. This threads a real cool idea Blowupyourvideo.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:50:37 AM by mrlee » Logged

html sucks
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 12:26:45 PM »

8. Megadeth- "Endgame"-Possibly Dave Mustaines crowning moment.  When it comes to guitar playing, he is better than you, and has no problem letting you know about it on this record.

lol aint that the truth, and thank you foir being some one else on this site giving that CD kudos.

i rank that one up there with CHINESE DEMOCRACY and Death Magnetic. And thats my pic for top three because frankly i don't think that theres ten albums to come from this decade that i like

*correction*

almost forgot about Motley Crues Sts of LA and also Ace Frehley has a pretty good one out right now headbanger

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Burton
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »

In no particular order...

Tool - Lateralus
Metallica - Death Magnetic
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
Korn - Untouchables
Rise Against - The Sufferer & The Witness
The Cult - Beyond Good and Evil
Foo Fighters - One By One
Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »

you're full of it if you're saying there haven't been 10 albums you've liked that were released the last 10 years, personally i think i could have made a list of 30 albums and still forgetting lots.. shame if you're ignoring plenty of great music, your loss

there's no way i can only mention 10 albums
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 03:57:58 PM »

Theres gonna be stand out albums though Cheapjon, for a person personally.

Most people enjoy Chinese Democracy, i do too but it hasnt made me listen to it loads and stood the test of my own time. If you understand what i mean? Its good, but for me personally not a top album of a decade for ME.

Just people putting out what reached them the most from this decade. I enjoy Crazy Lixx but its not an album ive felt a widely influential 00s album.

N anyway, if you have more to list...then list them.

html sucks
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »

Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Muse - Origin of Symmetry
Pearl Jam - Binaural
Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
Beck - Modern Guilt
Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild
Silversun Pickups - Swoon
Kaki King - Dreaming of Revenge

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Derby Greg
Derby Tourism Ambassador
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 06:11:11 PM »

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Pearl Jam - Binaural
Beck - Modern Guilt

I'm glad someone mentioned In Rainbows. Personally, I think it is an achingly beautiful record and right up there with Radiohead's best. Infinitely better than Hail to the thief and the stuff post OK computer (they really lost me around Kid A). I defy anyone to say that isn't a beautiful record - even if it is "just not your thing".

Can't agree with you on Binaural though - the weakest album in their collection for me.  I would put the self-titled record in my top 10 of the decade although Backspacer and Riot Act are both better than Binaural for me - each to their own though.

Interesting choices  ok

GREG

2002 Leeds, London
2006 London Ham, Download, London W'ley
2010 Montreal, Toronto, Reading, Dublin
2011 Rio, Arg
2012 Bham,London x2,Rotterdam, Paris,Vegasx3
2013 NYCx2
2016 Vegasx2, NYCx2, CR
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 06:59:59 PM »

Theres gonna be stand out albums though Cheapjon, for a person personally.

Most people enjoy Chinese Democracy, i do too but it hasnt made me listen to it loads and stood the test of my own time. If you understand what i mean? Its good, but for me personally not a top album of a decade for ME.

Just people putting out what reached them the most from this decade. I enjoy Crazy Lixx but its not an album ive felt a widely influential 00s album.

N anyway, if you have more to list...then list them.

I know what you mean man, and of course there's gonna be stand out albums, but to say "i'm not sure i've liked 10 albums" .. i don't buy it that's all
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 08:58:17 PM »

Here's a few at this point in time, beyond the first one mentioned my Top 10 is everchanging.

The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks

Monster Magnet - Power Trip
Nirvana - Nevermind
The Cult - Electric (less the cover of Born To Be Wild, damn you Ian and Billy for listening to Rick Rubin...)
Foo Fighters - The Colour and The Shape
NIN - Pretty Hate Machine
Oasis - Definately Maybe

Tons of lesser known stuff by Joy Division, Distillers, Steve Jones, Johnny Marr, Courtney Love jump up every now and again..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »

Don't really have one.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 08:51:48 AM »

Here's a few at this point in time, beyond the first one mentioned my Top 10 is everchanging.

Nirvana - Nevermind
The Cult - Electric (less the cover of Born To Be Wild, damn you Ian and Billy for listening to Rick Rubin...)
Oasis - Definately Maybe

Tons of lesser known stuff by Joy Division, Distillers, Steve Jones, Johnny Marr, Courtney Love jump up every now and again..
Not diggin any new artists then Falcon?

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 06:17:20 PM »

Nirvana - Nevermind
Oasis - Definately Maybe

Not diggin any new artists then Falcon?

Oh ya, lots of new stuff - totally into "Spinnerette" and "In This Moment" for the time being.

Also..

I obviously misread the topic title missing the "Of the 2000's" portion so please consider the albums mentioned above as "All Timers"...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »

No worries, list some from this decade man! Ill go check them out

html sucks
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 07:38:06 PM »

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Pearl Jam - Binaural
Beck - Modern Guilt

I'm glad someone mentioned In Rainbows. Personally, I think it is an achingly beautiful record and right up there with Radiohead's best. Infinitely better than Hail to the thief and the stuff post OK computer (they really lost me around Kid A). I defy anyone to say that isn't a beautiful record - even if it is "just not your thing".

Can't agree with you on Binaural though - the weakest album in their collection for me.  I would put the self-titled record in my top 10 of the decade although Backspacer and Riot Act are both better than Binaural for me - each to their own though.

Interesting choices  ok

GREG
Yeah, In Rainbows really is a beautiful record. Its so musically vibrant you can almost hear all the "colors" in the songs.

For me, I just personally love Binaural's spacey, laid-back atmosphere. Some of my favorite PJ songs are on that album, such as Parting Ways, Insignificance, Grievance, Nothing As It Seems, and Light Years.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 05:23:36 PM »

No Particular Order.

Tool- Lateralus

Social Distortion- Sex, Love, and Rock and Roll

Guns N Roses- Chinese Democracy

Metallica- Death Magnetic

Rancid- Indestructible