Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227806 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [RUMOUR] Chinese Democracy to be re-released on March 3rd?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [RUMOUR] Chinese Democracy to be re-released on March 3rd?  (Read 33626 times)
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2010, 12:58:26 PM »

I hope they at least update the information on the disc this time around.  My car stereo has the ability to show the name of the band, song title, and album information on the screen...but the original "Chinese Democracy" didn't even have this information updated on it.  This along with a mess of lyrics in the book...among other things...leads me to believe Axl was pushed to rush this out there...and being the perfectionist that he is...he spited them by not promoting it by any means, perhaps.  It would make sense anyway.  I just couldn't believe that my copy didn't have any information on it.  The copy I burned before hand off the computer onto a blank cd had all the information on it...but the actual purchased studio copy didn't have anything.  I was pretty disappointed.  Hopefully this one will update everything that was wrong or rushed the first time around.

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2010, 01:10:37 PM »

It'd be more logical if Universal fixed the release instead of making the fans upgrade their stereos...

/jarmo

Universal and logic in the same sentence when it comes to Guns?  They did screw the pooch on the vinyl, should have been 3 LPs.

In terms of the upgrades. CD is not the only album to suffer the ill effects of inner groove distortion (although it is the worst I have heard), it is drawback of the vinyl medium.  Moreso for newer releases since tracklistings usually are not picked based on where they will end up on the LP.  So the upgrade would not only solve CD but any other LP that has "busy" songs  on the inner grooves.  

There are these test records people buy to align their cartridges, I think they should just buy a best buy CD vinyl, if you can get that thing to play perfectly, you're set.

I will hit you up soon and get some into on the stylus issue. Just curious, what am I gonna be paying for a good one?

Depending on your turntable/tonearm....$100-$180.  There was one a year or so ago, the Audio Technica AT440mla that sold for under $90.  It has this "microline" type stylus, which is a really small tip which really fits into the grooves, allowing it to track better. The mistracking of the stylus is what you hear in the form of inner groove distortion.  The bigger the stylus tip (which all cheaper stylus/cartridges have) the harder it is for the stylus to track the smaller inner grooves.  However once word got out that the AT440mla was an innner groove distortion killer for $90, demand skyrocketed and the price increased dramatically ($160-$225) to the point there are cheaper options. I was lucky enough to snag one when it was cheaper.  

I aslo use a Denon Dl-160 ($180), which has a bit cheaper version DL-110 which is $139.  That has a very small elliptical diamond stylus, not as great of a tracker as the Audio Techinca, but it sounds better and does a great job with the inner tracks.  The Denons are best suited for heavier tonearms.  The Denons however are high output moving coil cartridges, and although they work on most phono preamps, they might not work on all of them because they are lower gain output than the standard moving magnet cartridge. You also cannot replace the stylus like you can on moving magnet cartridges.

There is another Audio Techinca cartridge I have yet to try that  I also think would do the job well, $120.  As far as the cheapest option, the Shure M97xe can be had for around $60, but I find it dull, although it may improve the sound on the inner tracks of CD than what you currently have.  Also, I don't know what cartridge you currently have but there may be an option of just replacing the stylus instead of the whole shabang.  If your happy with the sound minus the IGD, that may a good way to go if its possible.

Sorry for the longwinded response, I only have one buddy who is also a vinyl addict like me, so I have all of this useless knowledge wanting to get out.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »

maybe they remastered it?

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2010, 01:57:14 PM »

It'd be more logical if Universal fixed the release instead of making the fans upgrade their stereos...

/jarmo

Universal and logic in the same sentence when it comes to Guns?  They did screw the pooch on the vinyl, should have been 3 LPs.

In terms of the upgrades. CD is not the only album to suffer the ill effects of inner groove distortion (although it is the worst I have heard), it is drawback of the vinyl medium.  Moreso for newer releases since tracklistings usually are not picked based on where they will end up on the LP.  So the upgrade would not only solve CD but any other LP that has "busy" songs  on the inner grooves.  

There are these test records people buy to align their cartridges, I think they should just buy a best buy CD vinyl, if you can get that thing to play perfectly, you're set.

I will hit you up soon and get some into on the stylus issue. Just curious, what am I gonna be paying for a good one?

Depending on your turntable/tonearm....$100-$180.  There was one a year or so ago, the Audio Technica AT440mla that sold for under $90.  It has this "microline" type stylus, which is a really small tip which really fits into the grooves, allowing it to track better. The mistracking of the stylus is what you hear in the form of inner groove distortion.  The bigger the stylus tip (which all cheaper stylus/cartridges have) the harder it is for the stylus to track the smaller inner grooves.  However once word got out that the AT440mla was an innner groove distortion killer for $90, demand skyrocketed and the price increased dramatically ($160-$225) to the point there are cheaper options. I was lucky enough to snag one when it was cheaper.  

I aslo use a Denon Dl-160 ($180), which has a bit cheaper version DL-110 which is $139.  That has a very small elliptical diamond stylus, not as great of a tracker as the Audio Techinca, but it sounds better and does a great job with the inner tracks.  The Denons are best suited for heavier tonearms.  The Denons however are high output moving coil cartridges, and although they work on most phono preamps, they might not work on all of them because they are lower gain output than the standard moving magnet cartridge. You also cannot replace the stylus like you can on moving magnet cartridges.

There is another Audio Techinca cartridge I have yet to try that  I also think would do the job well, $120.  As far as the cheapest option, the Shure M97xe can be had for around $60, but I find it dull, although it may improve the sound on the inner tracks of CD than what you currently have.  Also, I don't know what cartridge you currently have but there may be an option of just replacing the stylus instead of the whole shabang.  If your happy with the sound minus the IGD, that may a good way to go if its possible.

Sorry for the longwinded response, I only have one buddy who is also a vinyl addict like me, so I have all of this useless knowledge wanting to get out.

Thank you very much for the detailed info!!

Lucky-
It's already been confirmed that there is nothing different at all about this release other than the UPC code.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »

so its just a re-release 1,5years after the official first one? nothing in change, same booklet errors and all?  Huh

Re-Union time, baby!!
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2010, 03:17:18 PM »

so its just a re-release 1,5years after the official first one? nothing in change, same booklet errors and all?  Huh

Yes. I posted earlier that a trusted source at Uni confirmed that it's exactly the same release in every way except for the UPC code.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2010, 05:33:55 AM »

leads me to believe Axl was pushed to rush this out there

Whatever you say about the album, there is absolutely no way anyone can seriously accuse it of being rushed out.
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2010, 09:05:18 AM »

Whatever you say about the album, there is absolutely no way anyone can seriously accuse it of being rushed out.

LOL, very true.  I meant like after he signed a new deal or whatever...they pushed him or rushed him from that point to put it out.  I can't imagine a perfectionist like Axl Rose being ok with the Chinese Democracy album that was put out (other than the music that he put into it).  Lots of information missing from the CD, incorrect lyrics, etc.  Probably made him a little upset lol

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »

LOL, very true.  I meant like after he signed a new deal or whatever...they pushed him or rushed him from that point to put it out.  I can't imagine a perfectionist like Axl Rose being ok with the Chinese Democracy album that was put out (other than the music that he put into it).  Lots of information missing from the CD, incorrect lyrics, etc.  Probably made him a little upset lol

I think you're trying to say CD was released against Axl's wishes when it was released and I agree...

Why else would the book be f'd up, no tour, promo blah blah...

But oh well! We got a rockin album, and now a kick ass tour!!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »

Most likely Best Buy deal is up

As much as I'd love new covers and disco-remixes, I'd be willing to bet that the BB deal has run its course and now other major markets have it.

However, did someone mention that there is a release date in the UK for this too? That is the only thing that would raise suspicion (among other things).

BINGO!!!

That's my guess, too...that the BB exclusive deal is over, and other retailers will start carrying it.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2010, 09:52:49 AM »

But i cant see the point in re-release it. Anyone?

Because BB's exclusivity is likely over...so you "re-release" it to get it out to other music retailers (like FYE, Amazon, etc).

Remember, in the US...you could ONLY buy CD at Best Buy.  Or at a "mom and pop" who went to BB, bought a bunch of copies, and re-sold them.  Or as an import in a specialty shop.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2010, 09:56:14 AM »

I think you're trying to say CD was released against Axl's wishes when it was released and I agree...

Why else would the book be f'd up, no tour, promo blah blah...

But oh well! We got a rockin album, and now a kick ass tour!!

Yes, I most certainly agree.  The album, musically, is a masterpiece.  And while I haven't seen him live since 2006 (both at Hammerstein and MSG), he sounded amazing then...and from what I hear...he still sounds amazing now.  Pretty great considering he's nearing 50 years old (still can't believe that lol)

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »

ive been saying that it's a misbelief that you sing worse as you get old.

The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »

ive been saying that it's a misbelief that you sing worse as you get old.

That only happens to people named Whitney Houston lol

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »

i thought the sound was kinda low on cd. it was really clean but low. Now we wouldn't want something like death Magnetic for sure, but if they turned the volume up a little bit, it would be great, but aparently the release won't have anything different from the CD we all bought

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2010, 01:11:10 PM »

If it's just the regular cd we own already, whu would bestbuy be listing it as a new release with 'image coming soon'?

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
Chinese Monopoly
Rocker

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »

Surely if it is just the album with an alternate cover the cost wouldn't be increased as much as it is. Why do I have a feeling we're in for a treat?

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »

For those who may have missed it, here's the info once more directly from a source inside Universal:

Yes, we are releasing it to all customers and it will be managed by our catalog group instead of IGA. The exclusivity of the Best Buy deal is done. Nothing new is on the record, the UPC is just different because the other piece was exclusive.

There is nothing new. It is exactly the same piece with a different UPC code now because the first one's UPC was exclusive to Best Buy.

Not trying to shit on anyone, but I'd hate to see people keep getting their hopes up over the next few weeks when this information has already been confirmed.

Chinese Monopoly
Rocker

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »

For those who may have missed it, here's the info once more directly from a source inside Universal:

Yes, we are releasing it to all customers and it will be managed by our catalog group instead of IGA. The exclusivity of the Best Buy deal is done. Nothing new is on the record, the UPC is just different because the other piece was exclusive.

There is nothing new. It is exactly the same piece with a different UPC code now because the first one's UPC was exclusive to Best Buy.

Not trying to shit on anyone, but I'd hate to see people keep getting their hopes up over the next few weeks when this information has already been confirmed.

Thank-you for bringing us back down to earth with this comment, at least we know what is happening now. hihi

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2010, 02:45:08 PM »

Thank-you for bringing us back down to earth with this comment, at least we know what is happening now. hihi

I was just puzzled because I posted that info a few days ago and still saw people guessing at what the re-release could be. I was really hoping it was more/something special too.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: