Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:31:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227779 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [RUMOUR] Chinese Democracy to be re-released on March 3rd?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [RUMOUR] Chinese Democracy to be re-released on March 3rd?  (Read 33561 times)
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2010, 04:34:19 PM »

i thought the sound was kinda low on cd. it was really clean but low. Now we wouldn't want something like death Magnetic for sure, but if they turned the volume up a little bit, it would be great, but aparently the release won't have anything different from the CD we all bought

ouch!!
its done the right way to keep all the dynamics like it always has been before the loudness wars set in. Axl and the gang had 3 different versions to pick, all had some compressing on it and they decided to use the one with the lowest cmpression to keep dynamics more natural. audiophiles are grateful for that!!

please check this shortclip which explains it easy but very effectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

but to help you out......hifi devices normally have some volume buttom, just turn it up  Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2010, 05:12:18 PM »

Surely if it is just the album with an alternate cover the cost wouldn't be increased as much as it is. Why do I have a feeling we're in for a treat?

And why wouldnt they just put a picture of the current album cover on these sites, if its supposedly the same?
Chinese Monopoly
Rocker

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2010, 05:20:40 PM »

And why wouldnt they just put a picture of the current album cover on these sites, if its supposedly the same?

Exactly, not that I know, but surely the album won't be released with the same incorrect booklet and cover?

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »

i thought the sound was kinda low on cd. it was really clean but low. Now we wouldn't want something like death Magnetic for sure, but if they turned the volume up a little bit, it would be great, but aparently the release won't have anything different from the CD we all bought

ouch!!
its done the right way to keep all the dynamics like it always has been before the loudness wars set in. Axl and the gang had 3 different versions to pick, all had some compressing on it and they decided to use the one with the lowest cmpression to keep dynamics more natural. audiophiles are grateful for that!!

but to help you out......hifi devices normally have some volume buttom, just turn it up  Wink

I totally agree with you that it kept the dynamics, but still.. the volume was a little down for me... its great on stereo systems definitely, but it sucks on my Mp3 player. And believe me i have a really good one!

On normal albums the volume is on 19 or 18, for CD i have to put it on the 24! to be exactly the same value as the other albums on the 18 or 19. It kinda bothers me.

I really think that the final master should be better. Some sounds are really irritatingly louder than others.

For example on shackler's revenge, the last part of the solo is shadowed by Axl voice and its really compressed that it almost looks like a demo! Just an example. I really like the album no doubt about it though and im not criticizing, its just not my style of listening i guess. I even have the equalizer on my ipod set up for CD only. With the other albums i use a different set up.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:46:23 PM by Halo69 » Logged

Oh My God i cant deny this...
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2010, 06:16:02 PM »

Exactly, not that I know, but surely the album won't be released with the same incorrect booklet and cover?

From what I'm told; yes. That's exactly what's happening.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2010, 07:12:11 PM »

ouch!!

I totally agree with you that it kept the dynamics, but still.. the volume was a little down for me... its great on stereo systems definitely, but it sucks on my Mp3 player. And believe me i have a really good one!

On normal albums the volume is on 19 or 18, for CD i have to put it on the 24! to be exactly the same value as the other albums on the 18 or 19. It kinda bothers me.

I really think that the final master should be better. Some sounds are really irritatingly louder than others.

For example on shackler's revenge, the last part of the solo is shadowed by Axl voice and its really compressed that it almost looks like a demo! Just an example. I really like the album no doubt about it though and im not criticizing, its just not my style of listening i guess. I even have the equalizer on my ipod set up for CD only. With the other albums i use a different set up.

well, it mostly just comes down to (still happening!) loudness vs. quality best described on the youtube-sample "you own the volume knob - not the record producer". when you have a lot of LOUD records you off course wonder when playing a some more "silent" record why that is the case and you have to "fix it" yourself by adjusting the volume. analogy: see it like having a bunch of bad apples with only one good inside, you wonder if thats the bad one......which in fact really isnt. qualitywise (not musicwise) in terms of dynamics and compression there cant be real audiophiles NOT liking the album.

the shackler part might just be a mixing problem from personal listening taste, and i kinda agree on that: Axl's voice is often too loud in the mix and i'd like to have guitars some louder, exspec. in "sorry". but also see the other side: what would have been if whole CD would have his voice way too silent all the time? his voice simply is the most important part on this comeback album, he owns the GN'R name not Finck, Dizzy whoever.....and just imagine the world critics....

back on topic:
so if thats the Best-Buy-deal ending i'm all up for that, still leaves room for an future re-release with correct booklets and maybe some nice bonus.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2010, 07:18:33 PM »

Universal said nothing new is on the record. A bit of a stretch, but a new booklet isn't something which is on the record.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2010, 07:44:42 PM »

ouch!!

well, it mostly just comes down to (still happening!) loudness vs. quality best described on the youtube-sample "you own the volume knob - not the record producer". when you have a lot of LOUD records you off course wonder when playing a some more "silent" record why that is the case and you have to "fix it" yourself by adjusting the volume. analogy: see it like having a bunch of bad apples with only one good inside, you wonder if thats the bad one......which in fact really isnt. qualitywise (not musicwise) in terms of dynamics and compression there cant be real audiophiles NOT liking the album.

the shackler part might just be a mixing problem from personal listening taste, and i kinda agree on that: Axl's voice is often too loud in the mix and i'd like to have guitars some louder, exspec. in "sorry". but also see the other side: what would have been if whole CD would have his voice way too silent all the time? his voice simply is the most important part on this comeback album, he owns the GN'R name not Finck, Dizzy whoever.....and just imagine the world critics....

back on topic:
so if thats the Best-Buy-deal ending i'm all up for that, still leaves room for an future re-release with correct booklets and maybe some nice bonus.

You got some great points Limulus. I just listened to Shacklers to kinda remember myself what i don't like so much... and its that part where Axl says at the end "I don't believe and the reason i don't... i don't believe..." I don't even think its Axl voice, i think its more the Guitar parts being so compressed.. its like there is a noise between Axl's voice and the solo separating both, but on the solo it gets that compressed vibe that the "Oh My God" demo had. See what i mean?

I mean it all comes down to really how you like to listen to the songs really.

In catcher for example, theres an irritating piano noise constantly hiting that i really hate, and probably if that sound was a little bit lower it would be better.
Its just on certain songs really. It looks like most of the songs are done by one producer and the rest are done by another producer that has a totally different and more compressed sound, if you know what i mean.
Songs like Better,Chinese Democracy, If The World, Street of Dreams and Riad, to me sound less compressed then for example Shacklers,  Madagascar and others.

On Sorry, i would have liked for Sebastian's voice to be a little louder even though i wanted it as a background only and Axl voice has to be louder of course. On Shacklers i think Axl should have done the vocal tracks over again, same with Madagascar.

I think the problem in the more industrial songs like Shacklers is that Axl probably tried to get that NIN feel to the songs and mix it with GNR. And if you check NIN songs, which you probably know very well by now, theres almost no difference between the volume of the guitars and Reznor's voice, its almost like its all put it in solo mono sound.
When Axl mixed that with GNR though.. he mixed it with a more classical solo sound which is what GNR solos usually sound like, and thats probably why his voice is a little stronger and kinda overshadows the solo a bit.

CD is great though, and i love the album especially cause of all the sounds and backgrounds going on in the songs.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:53:00 PM by Halo69 » Logged

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »

Universal said nothing new is on the record. A bit of a stretch, but a new booklet isn't something which is on the record.
Yeah, that's what I thought/hoped initially.  ON the record, wouldn't be referring to the cover or artwork.  BUT, it is looking like there's nothing new here.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2010, 08:59:34 PM »

So they're going to release Rhiad how it stands while there is a pending lawsuit?
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2010, 07:52:06 AM »

So they're going to release Rhiad how it stands while there is a pending lawsuit?

Its probably not considered a release, since the album was already released

The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »

The exlusivity of the album as opposed to a straight all out release still makes a difference in court if they decide to side with Schnauss.  It may not be much of a difference...but it still could be something. 

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2010, 09:52:04 AM »

The exlusivity of the album as opposed to a straight all out release still makes a difference in court if they decide to side with Schnauss.  It may not be much of a difference...but it still could be something. 

Exactly... Why press more copies with this pending?? If they do rule in favor of this guy, could be more $$ for him... Although if I remember correctly he is going for a flat $1 Million, so who knows
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »

ouch!!

back on topic:

Being a "poorman's" audiophile, I absolutely love that CD was mastered the way it was.  Chinese Democracy starts out low, then boom..it shakes the house...they way music would sound live. My wife likes Hinder and I used that LP to explain the loudness issue to her, it is all the same volume.  She is now a convert.  That may sound better with the $3 earbuds, but on a decent stereo is sounds like rubbish.   At the same time I understand that today digital and I tunes rule, so I get why newer music is mastered for loud Ipod, and not for the dinosaurs like me who sit in their livingroom playing vinyl.  Although you'd think it can't be that hard to have a master for Itunes and a master for physical media, but I wouldn't know how that works from a business sense. 

Come Match 3rd, I am going to be cheesy and whenever I go to Target/Walmart I am going to check the G section and see if CD is there.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
antonyrose
Opening Act

« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2010, 10:19:25 AM »

Maybe this time it won't skip, and it will be a perfect copy.   I had to exchange my vinyl copy about 10 times and I still don't have a copy that doesn't skip..

"Just because your winning, don't mean your the lucky one."
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2010, 10:25:36 AM »

Maybe this time it won't skip, and it will be a perfect copy.   I had to exchange my vinyl copy about 10 times and I still don't have a copy that doesn't skip..

If it is a new pressing, maybe.  But if it is the same pressing with a different UPC code, same issues.  Might be worth $17 to find out.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »

Surely if it is just the album with an alternate cover the cost wouldn't be increased as much as it is. Why do I have a feeling we're in for a treat?

Good question.

One possible reason is that, since BB still has the exclusive (right up until the 3rd), that no other retailer has the right to display the cover art until the official expiration of the exclusivity.

I don't KNOW tha'ts what's going on, FYI...but it's possible.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2010, 10:46:44 AM »

"Sorry, the page you requested was not found"

apparently bestbuy doesn't have the re release in cd format anymore.

but on vinyl.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »

Why is their a release date of 2/23/10 for CD on their myspace page?

http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.artistalbums&artistid=5320152&albumid=15066693

Chinese Democracy
Guns N Roses
genre: Rock
label: Geffen
released: 02/23/10

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »

So when is Chinese D going to be appearing on the shelves at Target and shit? If the deal is done, why wait?

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: