Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:00:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  NEW Greatest Hits to be launched?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW Greatest Hits to be launched?  (Read 14358 times)
Guifris
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »

gnr already released a second greatest hits collection.  it was called chinese democracy.

Shit,you're Fucking Right.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 12:15:42 PM »

Live Era was pretty badass.  It didn't "sell shit" because of the same reason Chinese Democracy didn't "sell shit"...the promotions sucked ass.  The Greatest Hits cd was pointless to a fan like myself...but went platinum several times over for other reasons. 

Live Era was great though.  Get your head out of the toilet.

I like Live Era...though I hardly consider it a real "Live" album.  But it's still pretty darn good.

Funny thing:  I have a version where the disks are switched (the disk labels, themselves).  Disk one is labeled as disk 2, and disk 2 is labeled as disk 1.   

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »

the problem with Live Era is that it is not a good representation of a real Gnr concert. I went to 7 UYI shows and in my opinion, Live Era was not close to the quality of the shows I saw. It was a patchwork effort that was thrown together in order to put some Gnr product on the shelves until a new proper studio LP was finished.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »

Funny thing:  I have a version where the disks are switched (the disk labels, themselves).  Disk one is labeled as disk 2, and disk 2 is labeled as disk 1.   

So do I  ok

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »

It would be idiotic to release a greatest hits album without Chinese Democracy songs on it. The entire fucking album is some of GNR's greatest.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »

It would be idiotic to release a greatest hits album without Chinese Democracy songs on it. The entire fucking album is some of GNR's greatest.

You're missing the point.

The purpose of a 'Greatest Hits' compilation is a collection of a band's greatest hits, as in most successfull singles.

While a great album, there are, as of yet, ZERO 'hits' on Chinese Democracy.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Guifris
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »

So do I  ok

My Use You Illusion II album has the original version of Don't Cry.
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »

So do I  ok

I had the same thing but returned it because it was driving me crazy haha.

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
plissken2013
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 03:49:15 PM »

They could put Chinese democracy, Better and The blues on a BEST OF, then!!!!

I see the light at the end of the tunnel now
Someone please tell me it's not a train
Cracker

Political correctness is for dumbasses

Mods are the new Hitlers
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 03:51:13 PM »

The purpose of a 'Greatest Hits' compilation is a collection of a band's greatest hits, as in most successfull singles.

Yes, but there is a difference between a "Greatest Hits" set and a "Best Of".  Clearly, the rumored tracklist originally seen was not a compilation of greatest hits.  If that would still be the case, that it would be a "Best Of", not a "Greatest Hits", then Buddha_Master has a valid point that Chinese Democracy could or should be included in the "Best Of" set.

Ali
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »

Yes, but there is a difference between a "Greatest Hits" set and a "Best Of".  Clearly, the rumored tracklist originally seen was not a compilation of greatest hits.  If that would still be the case, that it would be a "Best Of", not a "Greatest Hits", then Buddha_Master has a valid point that Chinese Democracy could or should be included in the "Best Of" set.

Ali

also, "hits" can be defined in many ways.  sure, one way is to look at sales.  another is artistic accomplishment.  and influence on other artists.  and fan appreciation.  i'm sure that if certain people could get over their obession with the 80's, they'd see that, on the whole, chinese democracy is a monumental hit in the career of guns n' roses.
Nomad
Opening Act

Drifter

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2010, 01:02:12 AM »

That's fake. The artwork and tracklist have been around with the same pictures and even a few more for a couple of years now.

The only one in the game that's lost is you
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2010, 03:56:35 AM »

Ali

also, "hits" can be defined in many ways.  sure, one way is to look at sales.  another is artistic accomplishment.  and influence on other artists.  and fan appreciation.  i'm sure that if certain people could get over their obession with the 80's, they'd see that, on the whole, chinese democracy is a monumental hit in the career of guns n' roses.

The inherent difference between a 'best of' and a 'greatest hits' compilation was my whole point.

There is only one definition of a 'hit', and that is a successfull single.

For example, 'Nightrain' was never a hit.  Neither was 'Estranged'.  Neither were 'Chinese Democracy' or 'Better'.  'Jungle' was.

Yes, if a GNR 'best of' were released one day, Chinese Democracy songs could be included. (Bandname discussions aside)

Chinese Democracy as a 'monumental hit' though ?  I don't think so.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2010, 04:12:31 AM »

some old daddy once asked me for a best-of GN'R CD to compile for him......very hard to do cause too subjective.
i gave him a sealed AFD.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2010, 04:20:45 AM »

It was a patchwork effort that was thrown together in order to put some Gnr product on the shelves until a new proper studio LP was finished.

from what I remember both Axl and Slash worked on "Live Era", although  not together in the same place.  It wasnt just thrown together by the label without band input like GH was...alot of work went into song selection and the artwork of the record.  I remember Axl talking about it with kurt loder in 1999 as it being a "farewell to the old Guns."
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2010, 04:24:44 AM »

some old daddy once asked me for a best-of GN'R CD to compile for him......very hard to do cause too subjective.
i gave him a sealed AFD.

Right on the money, a 'best of' is purely subjective.

Am I right to presume that you, Limulus, would include at least a few UYI tracks ? 

I definitely would.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2010, 04:41:39 AM »

yeah, off course...."right next door to hell", "coma" and "civil war" would have to be on there at least IMO. i would also include "if the world". but its just too subjective project. most people might dislike "bad apples" but for some others its the greatest song in the world. never been a fan from "best of"/"greatest hits" packages, and exspecially for Guns.....its not that they have about 15-20 albums like Mot?rhead, Maiden or even more like Beatles, Stones. i just dont see the point and am full behind the Slash, Axl, Duff-suing against that release 2004.

i've also never liked the "Fake Era" 2cd-release for being marketed as a live album. but seeing it as being a rare vocal project from Axl's "lost years"....it can be heard. why such a great Live band like GN'R never released a real live album and rarely official released any live stuff at all is just beyond me....and they do have all those Proshots and Soundboards rotting in their vaults.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2010, 06:18:58 AM »

I completely agree that a 'greatest hits' for a band with only (at the time) 3 full albums of original material is a bit far-fetched.  Then again, I work in a record store, and I get a lot of customers who seem to like the idea of getting all the well known songs on one cd.  And I understand that too.  Not everyone needs the whole back catalogue of any particular band, even if they only have 3 albums.  So it works both ways I guess.

Live Era had it's good points as well.  It's great to have SBD recordings from shows like the Ritz '91 ('Dust n' Bones') or the Budokan '88 ('You're Crazy' and 'Used to Lover Her').  Hell, we even got 'Coma' !  Then again, I didn't like the fact that they repeated a lot of stuff from Tokyo '92 and some previously released B-sides.  The fact that it spans their entire live career is a good idea, but they should have used more different shows.

I'm not sure what to think of the whole 're-recorded vocals' discussions, so I'll stay out of that.

In all, it could have been better, but at least we got something  Wink !

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2010, 09:48:52 AM »

well, "live era" is supposed to be a compilation reflecting the band live from 1987-1993, right?
in this case it fails because of
a) not being live at all
b) not being a reflection from those different eras at all

instrumentally hard to judge not knowing where the parts are from directly but you can hear Axl's late 90s voice often there.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2010, 11:02:19 AM »

well, "live era" is supposed to be a compilation reflecting the band live from 1987-1993, right?
in this case it fails because of
a) not being live at all
b) not being a reflection from those different eras at all

instrumentally hard to judge not knowing where the parts are from directly but you can hear Axl's late 90s voice often there.

Its a compilation of songs played live during the 87/93 era  confused isnt it?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:06:44 AM by Halo69 » Logged

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: