Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  NEW Greatest Hits to be launched?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW Greatest Hits to be launched?  (Read 14365 times)
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »

It would be idiotic to release a greatest hits album without Chinese Democracy songs on it. The entire fucking album is some of GNR's greatest.

You're missing the point.

The purpose of a 'Greatest Hits' compilation is a collection of a band's greatest hits, as in most successfull singles.

While a great album, there are, as of yet, ZERO 'hits' on Chinese Democracy.

Yes, but there is a difference between a "Greatest Hits" set and a "Best Of".  Clearly, the rumored tracklist originally seen was not a compilation of greatest hits.  If that would still be the case, that it would be a "Best Of", not a "Greatest Hits", then Buddha_Master has a valid point that Chinese Democracy could or should be included in the "Best Of" set.

Ali

also, "hits" can be defined in many ways.  sure, one way is to look at sales.  another is artistic accomplishment.  and influence on other artists.  and fan appreciation.  i'm sure that if certain people could get over their obession with the 80's, they'd see that, on the whole, chinese democracy is a monumental hit in the career of guns n' roses.

The inherent difference between a 'best of' and a 'greatest hits' compilation was my whole point.

There is only one definition of a 'hit', and that is a successfull single.

For example, 'Nightrain' was never a hit.  Neither was 'Estranged'.  Neither were 'Chinese Democracy' or 'Better'.  'Jungle' was.

Yes, if a GNR 'best of' were released one day, Chinese Democracy songs could be included. (Bandname discussions aside)

Chinese Democracy as a 'monumental hit' though ?  I don't think so.

Estranged is a hit! to me its simple, if u wanna do a greatest hits of a band, U gotta put every song in it that had a video... welcome to the jungle, dont cry,november rain, garden of eden, estranged, since i dont have you, etc etc etc.

If u want a best of, then and only then u put the hit songs, the fan favorites and the most recognized ones

Oh My God i cant deny this...
suicide
VIP

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2010, 01:24:10 PM »

It's a stupid idea to release a greatest hits album now. Geffen / Interscope should focus on the promotion of the Chinese Democracy album and tour.
I can see why most of the songs on the setlist were chosen but the order is terrible. Really doesn't feel right!
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2010, 01:58:10 PM »

It's a stupid idea to release a greatest hits album now. Geffen / Interscope should focus on the promotion of the Chinese Democracy album and tour.
I can see why most of the songs on the setlist were chosen but the order is terrible. Really doesn't feel right!
Not all the tracks ordered were bad.
Actually I think in the middle of the album is where there is the best order!

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »

well, "live era" is supposed to be a compilation reflecting the band live from 1987-1993, right?
in this case it fails because of
a) not being live at all
b) not being a reflection from those different eras at all

instrumentally hard to judge not knowing where the parts are from directly but you can hear Axl's late 90s voice often there.

Its a compilation of songs played live during the 87/93 era  confused isnt it?

Yes and No.

Yes all the songs were originaly played and recorded live.  No in that much of Axl's vocals were re-recorded in the studio.  I am not certain on the amount of instruments that were reworked in the studio, if any.

Plus there are only a few songs that were performed in the 80s, with the rest of it coming from Illusion era performances.

I love it though and listen to it more than the studio releases.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Il?vatar
Headliner

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2010, 02:46:42 PM »

Theres something about the way Live Era was produced that left some of the songs sounding a bit flat and never captured the energy of the live performance. But theres the odd song, like Your Crazy for example, that sounds raw and badass as hell that makes it worthwhile. Not a fan of the rerecorded vocals, apart from the last verse of Used To Love Her which actually works really well. It was worth buying it for Its Alright alone, I'd never heard it before and thought it was gorgeous  Smiley
wadey
Legend

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »

we all own most GnR material  and we all have access to a Pc for sure because were all on here, so if we want a greatest hits CD then surely we can just burn our own and put on whatever tracks we want in whatever order we choose. i know ive done several over the years for the car and stuff
from a die hards point of view there is really no need for another greatest fucking hits IMO  ok

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »

That is true wadey unless they plan on putting on some song that hasent been relesed yet.
Then I would buy it!

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: