Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:42:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  [updated!] iPhone OS 4.0 released - multitasking, iAds and more!
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [updated!] iPhone OS 4.0 released - multitasking, iAds and more!  (Read 9757 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« on: April 08, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »

I searched for a proper iPhone thread and all I see was some old stuff about the older versions... So maybe there's some people here who would be interested on the matter.

iPhone OS 4.0 unveiled, adds multitasking, shipping this Summer
By Paul Miller posted Apr 8th 2010 at 1:43PM

Just a bit more than a year after we first laid eyes on iPhone OS 3.0, Apple is back with the latest big revision of the OS that powers the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. It's shipping this Summer (iPad in the Fall), and the developer preview will be out today. iPhone 3GS and new-gen iPod touch will get all the features, but some features won't make it to the iPhone 3G, original iPhone, and older iPod touches. The biggest new feature is multitasking, which Apple says is going to be the "best" implementation in the smartphone space, though it's obviously not the first. App switching is activated by double tapping the home button, which pulls up a "dock" of currently running apps, and Apple claims it can do this without hurting battery life or performance for the front app. Unfortunately, this multitasking won't be available for devices older than the 3GS and new iPod touch. Multitasking is just one of seven different new "tentpole" features, including Game Center, enhanced Mail, and more...

Notable new features for users ("tentpoles" are in bold):

* Multitasking.
    * Spell check (like on the iPad).
    * Bluetooth keyboard support (again, on the iPad).
    * User-defined wallpaper (a jailbreak favorite).
    * Tap to focus when recording video, just like with photos, and a 5x digital zoom for the camera.
    * Playlist creation and nested playlists.
    * App folders for sorting apps! You can even put an app folder in the dock.
    * Enhanced Mail! You can have a merged inbox view, switch between inboxes quickly, and sync to more than one Exchange account. There's also threaded messaging (at last!) and in-app attachment viewing.
    * iBooks, just like on iPad, only smaller. You can wirelessly sync books between platforms, a la Kindle.
    * Enterprise features, including remote device management and wireless app distribution.
    * Game Center. It's like Xbox Live, but for iPhone games. Includes achievements, leaderboards, and match making. It will be available as a "developer preview," and out for consumers later this year.

Developers are getting plenty of new tricks too:

* 1,500 new APIs.
    * Full access to the camera.
    * Date and address "data detectors."
    * Background audio (think Pandora).
    * Background VoIP (think Skype).
    * Background location data, both with live GPS for backgrounded turn-by-turn, and cell tower-based for lower power draw.
    * Local notifications. Like push notifications, but sends a notification straight from the app without needing a push notification server, perfect for an alarm, for instance.
    * Fast app switching. Saves the state of an app and resumes it from where you left off, without dwelling in memory.
    * iAd. Apple says it's for keeping "free apps free." The ads keep you in the app, while also taking over the screen and adding interactivity -- using HTML 5 for video -- up to simple gaming in-ad. Apple will offer a 60 / 40 split on revenue, and users can even buy apps straight from an ad.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/iphone-os-4-0-unveiled-shipping-this-summer/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:27:59 PM by Voodoochild » Logged

svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 04:19:17 PM »

Multitasking isn't supported for my 3G Sad
Only on 3GS, kinda odd since they still sell the 3G

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:44:32 PM »

It is, but I guess they will stop selling it by mid summer, when the iPhone OS is released - and also, probably with the iPhone 4G.

svdv22
VIP

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:06:14 PM »

Yeah I guess

I like the new features though.. Even iAds!

badapple81
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 01:52:28 AM »

Please multi tasking will be added. iAds tho..  Undecided
svdv22
VIP

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 05:05:26 AM »

Do you have any free apps on your iPhone? Those ads are very annoying and when you click one, the app stops and safari opens.
With iAds when you click an ad, you stay in the app you're using and the ad will appear on top of it. You can download wallpapers/watch trailers/whatever the ad does without leaving the app.

If we're going to get ads, give it to me the apple way Smiley

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »

IMO, the thing on iAds it's that it will use HTML5 content - just imagine watching a trailer without having to use the YouTube app. Smiley

Also, I found out that the iPhone 4.0 will finally allow to create (or delete) and edit playlists on the iPod app. That was one of my biggest complains on the device and I'm glad it finally arrived.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:00:49 PM »

the iAd makes me laugh.. as if everyone just Loves ads!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:16:01 PM »

Everyone hates ads.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »

Everyone hates ads.

Ads on an iPhone?

I don't get it...

you get a free app but there are advertizements that are included?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 12:05:02 AM »

Yes, why not? If the app is for free, how would the developers make money from it?

There's also the "Lite" versions, which is kinda like a demo - the upgrade for the paid app unlock the whole game, for example.

the iAd makes me laugh.. as if everyone just Loves ads!!
People who develope adds do.

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:15:39 AM »

It's strange that many of the new astonishing features are something you'd expect that would be on a phone by default.

I got an iPhone myself, but when I got it, I found it surprising how difficult some features were, for an example using an mp3 as alarm clock tune or using custom ring tone.

Or that there wasnt any folders to make for the pics I've taken. I mean, c'mon, shouldn't something like that be there from the start?

Or multitasking, other phone's already have that.

Just sayin'
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:17:39 AM by Sin Cut » Logged

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 12:34:59 AM »

Yeah, I know. Some obvious stuff there and the lack of a native IM kills me. But still, there's a lot of other cool features (like the superb web browsing - when there's no flash, of course) too.

I mean, I tested several phones - it's part of my work as a tech journalist. From what I could feel, the Android (on Motorola's Milestone or Samsung Galaxy) or Nokia (N97) experience don't even come close to how well the iPhone handle some smartphone-only features.

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 12:57:12 AM »

^ agreed.

When comparing to the phone's I've tested, I've liked UI on the iPhone the best (as soon as I overcome my difficulties of writing sms on touchscreen). Also as working in mobile and VoIP support I haven't have any of the weird bugs on the iPhone that I've encountered while testing Nokia phones.

I think I've only had to hardboot my phone three or four times in six months.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 01:07:45 AM »

Yeah, I did only a couple of times - and after I tested the jailbreak (I came back to the original locked OS then). Dunno if it really had something to do with the crash, but I got really pissed because it was really a bad day for me.

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 09:19:52 AM »

Only Apple fanboys can get excited about seeing ads on their phone. Go figure.

Fuck 'Em All.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:31 AM »

Funny. I remember when I whined about the iPhone keyboard - it was a really long tweet Axl posted before the SA tour and Fernando called me a hater. And then, like 10 seconds after I read his post here, my device crashed - it was like 7 AM here on a Saturday and when I was trying to do something before reboot, it accidentally turned on the voice access - just when I was cursing it. And even better - the fucking thing understand it wrong and called a friend of mine who was in vacation to take care of his newborn son who couldn't let him sleep.

Yeah, it indeed looks like a Jim Carrey movie. Tongue

And now, for being excited about a new plataform for mobile Ads by one of the most influential companys in the most used (for web) smartphone in the world, I'm being called an Apple fanboy. Go figure. hihi
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:53:14 AM by Voodoochild » Logged

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »

And now, for being excited about a new plataform for mobile Ads by one of the most influential companys in the most used (for web) smartphone in the world, I'm being called an Apple fanboy. Go figure. hihi

Does not compute.

Anyway, I wasn't referring to you specifically, just the kind of people who swear by Apple's overpriced shiny products and wait in queue to buy their next rip-off. (See iPad). Multitasking enabled three years after the product launched and no support for the original phone? Yeah, it's all good if you're an Apple fan.

Fuck 'Em All.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »

I'm not defending Apple nor I'm the kind of who wait in queue to buy anything. But really, speaking on smartphone's market, there's no one who can be as easy to use as the iPhone, even without the multitasking (BTW, mine is a 3GS, maybe that's why I got excited about this feature).

What really pisses me off is the need for iTunes to manage the device, though. And I don't think that would change ever.

I don't think I'd buy an iPad, but it does looks good to me (maybe if they had Flash or 1080p resolution...). But I would buy a Mac if I had money enough to spend on it without caring that much. Tongue

svdv22
VIP

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »

Apple has a way of handling things better than others, that's why some stuff (as multitasking) wasn't included from the beginning. Sure we can discuss this, but 95% who used both an iPhone and any other phone with multitasking will agree. They'll include it when it works for their standards. And that means an extremely well thought out user interface.

You can dislike Apple for selling stuff you don't need, but don't be an hypocrite and hate all the companies who do so. Not just Apple, for doing it really well.

And you probably think otherwise now but I'm not an Apple fanboy, I'm not. To be honest I kinda get annoyed by most people who work at an Apple store. They're smug.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:06:00 PM by svdv22 » Logged

slash1213
Rocker

GNR42

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 06:11:10 PM »

I jailbroke mine, and installed Backgrounder, Its almost like multitasking.. Jailbreaking rules,  smoking

11-30-1992 Bogota, Colombia
05-14-2006 New York, NY
10-24-2006 Sunrise, FL
10-27-2006 Estero, FL
11-10-2006 New York, NY
10-29-2011 Miami, FL
12-31-2011 Las Vegas
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »

It was released a couple of hours ago. Pretty good, I'm still figuring it out. The folders thing is really useful. Smiley

badapple81
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »

I find the latest Facebook update for OS4 is really buggy.

When I exit an app using the traditional way of pressing the front button, it now of course minimises. I'm finding all these apps not properly closed is really slowing down my iphone. I then have to double click the front button and close all the apps. Unless I'm a no0b and missing something Cheesy I have a 3GS.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »

Yeah the Facebook app is in need of a fix...it's not updating itself unless you click it to and it won't show friend requests and such.  So far I am loving my Iphone 4 though.  I haven't had any issues with reception or dropped calls.  The screen is absolutely beautiful. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »

I find the latest Facebook update for OS4 is really buggy.

When I exit an app using the traditional way of pressing the front button, it now of course minimises. I'm finding all these apps not properly closed is really slowing down my iphone. I then have to double click the front button and close all the apps. Unless I'm a no0b and missing something Cheesy I have a 3GS.
As far as I know, the apps arent really working like in a PC. Its all on hold, so it shouldnt use any more memory from the device. Unless you have all those softwares with push notifications open - and even that Im not sure if it affects.

I have a 3GS too and I didnt notice any change on performance. From what I can tell, its more of a cache of history of opened apps.

Maybe its a matter of buggy apps? Like the Facebook one, I find the Twitter with some "bad gateway" issues on Wi-Fi and it needs some tries to refresh the timeline.

Some games also suffered. My Table Tennis (ping pong) needs to wait a little before starting to play or else it shuts down.
Yeah the Facebook app is in need of a fix...it's not updating itself unless you click it to and it won't show friend requests and such.  So far I am loving my Iphone 4 though.  I haven't had any issues with reception or dropped calls.  The screen is absolutely beautiful. 
Thats cool man. Tell me something: does it runs HD video on YouTube? I know it records 720p, but I dunno about the YouTube app..

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 07:40:15 PM »

Does the texting ever get easier on an Iphone?

On my Pantech Impact, or my Blackberry previously, I can literally send a 140 character txt in less than 60 seconds

on an Iphone, it takes me forever!

I seriously considered getting an Iphone, but I send probably 3 thousand texts a month, and the Iphone made me want to beat myself over the head.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 08:13:14 PM »

You can get used to it, but it will never as good as a BlackBerry or some side-keyboard device like the Motorola Droid.

CrucialFate
Opening Act

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 04:46:33 PM »

I actually can't text on a Blackberry if my life depended on it. On the other hand, I text on my iPhone 3GS no problem. Still waiting for iPhone 4 in Canada. Love OS4 though.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 06:30:08 PM »

Quick Tip: Opt Out of iAd Data Collection

http://theappleblog.com/2010/07/08/quick-tip-opt-out-of-iad-data-collection/

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »

Damn, nice tip, thanks a lot. Kinda alarming how this is not being really well spread, specially with the new iPhone 4 just released.

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: