Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:10:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Type O Negative Frontman Peter Steele Dies
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Type O Negative Frontman Peter Steele Dies  (Read 3398 times)
tim_m
Legend

« on: April 15, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »

Peter Steele, the driving force behind the Brooklyn-based goth/metal quartet Type O Negative, passed away Wednesday evening from heart failure. He was 48.

Known for his vampiric good looks, morbid sense of humor and rich baritone, the Type O Negative frontman was the author of such metal classics as "Christian Woman;" "Black No. 1;" "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend;" and the recent "September Sun."

Born in 1962, Steele played in a number of hardcore bands around his native Brooklyn before starting Carnivore, a controversial thrash band whose overt sarcasm and nihilistic views were the genesis for his most enduring and successful project, Type O Negative.

With childhood friends Sal Abruscato (later replaced by Johnny Kelly), Josh Silver and Kenny Hickey, Steele formed Type O Negative and signed to RoadRunner Records. With Steele as the principal songwriter, the band was influenced by groups such as Black Sabbath and The Doors as well as many punk, post-punk and new wave bands. His lyrics were often intensely personal, dealing with love, loss and addiction; yet he infused his writing with great wit and self-deprecating, dark humor which endeared him to his fans.

Their first release, "Slow, Deep And Hard" (1991, RoadRunner) was notable for both its long dirges and thrash breaks, and dark, humorous lyrics. Yet it was the landmark follow-up, "Bloody Kisses" (1993, RoadRunner) that broke the group worldwide. Steeped in goth imagery and experimenting with more complicated song structures, Type O scored minor hits with "Christian Woman," "Black No. 1" and the slowed-down Seals & Crofts cover of "Summer Breeze."

Capitalizing on Steele's good looks, the band received mainstream video airplay on MTV around the world, later earning the band and its label its' first Gold Record.

In 1996 the band returned with the commercial "October Rust" and Steele gained notoriety for his landmark layout in Playgirl. A full-fledged sex-symbol, Steele and the group pressed on touring heavily, enjoying the fruits of their labor; but excesses of the road and personal loss led to 1999's "World Coming Down" - an album laden with Steele's sadness and depression. Songs with titles such as "Everyone I Love Is Dead" and "Everything Dies" failed to connect at radio; yet the band continued to tour before going on hiatus. A hits collection would tide fans over until 2003 when the band released "Life Is Killing Me."

In spite of the overwhelmingly positive reviews, Type O was dropped from its' label and moved to the German-based SPV and returned in 2007 with "Dead Again." Though their radio and commercial success never reached the pinnacle of the early 1990s, Type O enjoyed a considerable worldwide fanbase, especially in Europe, and toured successfully through 2009.

When reached for comment, Monte Conner, Senior VP A&R at Roadrunner Records offered, "Peter Steele was an integral thread in the fabric of Roadrunner Records, having been with us from 1985 to 2005. Type O Negative kicked down doors for Roadrunner with 'Bloody Kisses' giving us our first Gold record in November 1995 and our first success at commercial radio with 'Christian Woman.' To this day, artistically it is one of the defining records on this label as well as a universally regarded classic in the heavy metal, hard rock and goth rock genres. I will always treasure my memories of working with a true artist like Peter Steele, and fondly remember the respect he showed me and others here as well as his deadpan, black sense of humor. While the music world suffers a huge loss with Peter's passing, his legacy will surely endure."

The group's publicity firm, Maple Jam Music Group, released the following statement today: It is with great sadness that we inform you that Type O Negative frontman and bassist, Peter Steele passed away last night of what appears to be heart failure. "Ironically Peter had been enjoying a long period of sobriety and improved health and was imminently due to begin recording new music with bandmates Josh Silver, Kenny Hickey and Johnny Kelly for a follow up to "Dead Again" released in 2007," says longtime band manager, Mike Renault. The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results.  The funeral services will be private and memorial services will be announced at a future date.  Band and family statements will be posted on the bands website www.typeonegative.net shortly.

Rip  Cry
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 08:55:57 PM »

oh f#ck !

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »

Just found out about this, RIP.  This sucks.  Type O Was HUGE back when I was in middle school...sad news.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »

Yeah Black no.1 and Christian Woman are some great songs. I remember hearing Christian woman on the radio and thinking how does he sing like that. It was fantastic. Its so sad he's gone and the band probably done. I can't see them replacing him.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:25:48 PM »

They were a huge source of inspiration for me.  Started listening to them in 93.  I'm devastated.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »

Official band/family statement.

Official Statement about Peter Steele
 Today at 8:24pm
It is with great sadness that we inform you that Type O Negative front man, bassist, and our band mate, Peter Steele passed away last night of what appears to be heart failure.

Ironically Peter had been enjoying a long period of sobriety and improved health and was imminently due to begin writing and recording new music for our follow up to "Dead Again" released in 2007.

The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results. The funeral services will be private and memorial services will be announced at a future date. We?d like to share our thoughts and those of Peter?s family below.

We are truly saddened to lose our friend and appreciate the tremendous outpouring today from around the world.

Sincerely,

Josh, Kenny and Johnny

Josh Silver: ?Peter, My endless source of frustration, (as I'm yours) you have really done it this time. You have changed and touched countless lives through music, comedy and often brutal honesty. You've made life both interesting and irritating and I could not imagine not having known you for 37 years. It still isn't true in my mind but in time I will miss you and the creating that we all endured together. We certainly disagreed constantly and I believe (and hope) we all learned from each other. Should I call you my brother, friend or neighbor? I can only call you Peter (and usually after 2 PM). We laughed at ourselves more times then I can count. Knowing humans are preposterous creatures and I know we reveled in that fact. I will miss you in time, but at this moment your premature departure seems surreal and has pissed me off to no end. Though I never told you that I harbor a deep respect for you, I do. Goodbye my friend.?

Kenny Hickey: ?Peter Steele was one of the most brilliant and funny personalities in music and it was all for real. Half the time people thought he was joking, but he was actually telling the truth. Part of me died with him.?

Johnny Kelly: ?It?s impossible for me to put into a few sentences what I am feeling at the moment Peter. I?m not sure if I should eulogize or roast you. Both good and bad, we went on one hell of a ride together and sadly, the ride has come to an end. You truly were a unique person. Your music touched many people. Myself included. Whether it was talking about The Beatles, power tools, how Pluto was no longer considered a planet or calling me at 3am asking me to drive to your house to have a fistfight with you, you always kept it interesting. It was a privilege to have been your bandmate. It?s something that I will always cherish.?

In a statement issued today by Steele`s family: ?Legendary Goth/Heavy Metal musician Peter Steele died suddenly Wednesday, April 14, 2010, after a short illness at the age of 48. He wrote and orchestrated the music for the Brooklyn-based band Type O Negative, a groundbreaking group known for its dramatic lyrical emphasis on the themes of romance, depression, and death. Steele, renowned as much for his striking physical appearance as his musical talent, was the creative force behind the bands 20-year success writing most of the material for the their albums. Type O Negative and Steele have been lauded as a major influence by numerous alternative and metal bands. The band gained a worldwide following through touring and recording seven studio albums, two best-of compilations, concert DVDs and music videos. Their 1993 album ?Bloody Kisses? went platinum, and the 1996 follow-up ?October Rust? went gold.

The music world has lost a great talent, and music fans worldwide are mourning, but for our family we are mourning a beloved brother, uncle, cousin, friend and funny man. Peter Steele was a complex man, known for his brooding looks, his self-deprecating sense of humor, unique view of the world, and most of all his loyalty to his fans, friends and family. Survived by five sisters, the eldest living sister notes that he was more than our brother, he was our son. His untimely death is tragic ? a great loss to us and to music. The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results, and funeral plans at present remain unknown. The family thanks fans for their loyalty to Peter and band members, but request that fans and media respect their wishes for privacy.

In addition to his success in music, Peter Steele also tried his hand at acting, appearing in HBO`s Oz and the cult classic film Bad Acid. He also composed music for the film soundtracks ?Freddy vs. Jason? and ?Mortal Combat?, the television movie ?Nosferatu: The First Vampire?, and the soon-to-be released ?Living the American Nightmare.?
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 09:58:16 PM »

Josh's words were strange, but their relationship is probably something we would not understand.  They have been together since fallout almost 30 years ago.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: