Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 10:53:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  IPhone 3G
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: IPhone 3G  (Read 4963 times)
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« on: August 28, 2010, 06:23:52 PM »

Hey guys, i got an Iphone 3g but i still dont know much about it, as im new to iphones.

I downloaded some game apps to itunes but now i seem to be unable to put them in the iphone as it wont let me copy them.

Does anybody know why this is happening? Or how do i put the apps in the iphone?

Oh My God i cant deny this...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 10:28:23 AM »

Click on your iPhone in the Devices list in iTunes. Then go to the Apps tab and make sure you have Sync Apps checked.....

There you can choose the apps you want to install...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:51:18 AM »

I had a problem with itunes+appstore, some apps worked just fine, but some apps I just couldn't install, got some weird error message.

I think the problem was because I had unlocked the SIM-card lock. Or maybe it was aa iOS-problem (which should've given a different error message tho).

I solved the problem by upgrading the iOSs and jailbreaking the bastard.

I like the phone, but working with itunes was a pain in the ass untill I played around with settings so every sync would be manual, I still don't like using iTunes and making ring tones is a bitch considering how easy it could be.

And sending pictures, who's the genius behind that?! Really I can't select pictures and send via email, I need to copy them and paste them into email message  rant

And why can't I see how much free space I got from the phone itself?

Or when using voice recorder, if I use it to record a song it's always too long to send and I need to sync my voice recordings via itunes then convert the format to mp3.

Apple, there's a good few engineers over there I'd like to punch. And Steven Jobs. Thanks.

Rant over.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »

I had a problem with itunes+appstore, some apps worked just fine, but some apps I just couldn't install, got some weird error message.

I think the problem was because I had unlocked the SIM-card lock. Or maybe it was aa iOS-problem (which should've given a different error message tho).

I solved the problem by upgrading the iOSs and jailbreaking the bastard.

I like the phone, but working with itunes was a pain in the ass untill I played around with settings so every sync would be manual, I still don't like using iTunes and making ring tones is a bitch considering how easy it could be.

And sending pictures, who's the genius behind that?! Really I can't select pictures and send via email, I need to copy them and paste them into email message  rant

And why can't I see how much free space I got from the phone itself?

Or when using voice recorder, if I use it to record a song it's always too long to send and I need to sync my voice recordings via itunes then convert the format to mp3.

Apple, there's a good few engineers over there I'd like to punch. And Steven Jobs. Thanks.

Rant over.

Geez, if you have so many problems, why don't you get another phone? There are plenty of good Android based phones which will do everything the iPhone can do and more.
It's not like Apple is forcing you to use the damn thing...

Fuck 'Em All.
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:15:53 AM »

Well it was the best smartphone around when I bought it, but I might go android when I buy a new one.

Right now iPhone is working out great since I've gone rebel with this. Fow an example I sync using SharePad, it's waaaay better than iTunes promptin "Sincut's iPhone can be in sync with one computer at the time. Syncing will erase all data" Gaawdh!

SharePad is drag and drop, works like a charm.

svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »

iPhone is made to sync with iTunes, if you use other software it just won't work that well. Easy as that.
If you have errors or want help you should say what those errors contain so people can help Smiley

For sending pictures:
- Tap on the icon with the arrow going out of the box (top right)
- Select the pictures you want to email (max. 5)
- Tap 'share'
- Tap 'email'

For seeing how much free space you got:
- Tap 'settings'
- Tap 'general'
- Scroll down a bit and see how much space you got and how much free space you have left

I'm not familiar with the limits of sending and/or recording with the voice recorder. But it is a voice recorder and not a song recorder so I guess it's not limitless.

You have to get into the way an iPhone works a bit but once you do you'll love it Smiley

MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »

im glad someone made this thread!

IOS 4.0.1 has really screwed up my 3G!!!

it crashes an runs much, much slower. it now takes 3 or 4 times longer to do a simple task like entering my passcode. the internet freezes all the time too!!!

is there anyway of going back to 3.0. whatever it was without "Jailbreaking" it?

i sure as hell aint upgrading to the iPhone 4 coz i know a year or 2 down the line an apple will pull this shitty "forced upgrade" stunt again!!!!

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 04:22:18 PM »

it crashes an runs much, much slower. it now takes 3 or 4 times longer to do a simple task like entering my passcode. the internet freezes all the time too!!!

is there anyway of going back to 3.0. whatever it was without "Jailbreaking" it?

i sure as hell aint upgrading to the iPhone 4 coz i know a year or 2 down the line an apple will pull this shitty "forced upgrade" stunt again!!!!

No, you can't downgrade your iphone unless you saved it's SHSH key beforehand (and if you did that, you would know that you did that.)  A word to the wise: if you ever want to have the chance to downgrade your iphone iOS, make sure you save your SHSH key after each iOS updgrade (use the firmware umbrella tool: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/.    Without saving your SHSH key with a jailbreaking service, like Cydia, you will never be able to downgrade your iOS again.

The good news is that Apple claims they will have the Iphone 3G 4.x issues resolved when iOS 4.1 comes out.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
svdv22
VIP

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »

Mr W, Axl Rose I completely agree with you my iPhone (also 3g) has been slow ever since. And you and me aren't the only one complaining. Apple never should've released this software update for 3G and there wouldn't be a problem to start with. They did exclude some 'heavy' features like multitasking but that's not enough, obvious.

I hope those problems are gone by 4.1 but I guess they will, it's good to know that it's the software and not the hardware that's running slow. Also what you can do is turn off all the spotlight (search) options in your settings. Apparently this is running on the background continuously and it causes to run things slow.
I found out about this today so I'm not sure if it really works but it's worth a try until software 4.1.

Apple has a keynote right now (or maybe they already finished) and I'm hoping they're announcing iOS 4.1

edit:
Ok so iOS 4.1 will be out next week with some new features. I'm curious about the 'high dynamic range', should make every picture beautiful. I only read a quick summary and they said nothing about the problems iOS 4 is causing to 3G models..

edit2:
HDR is awesome, some test photo from a dutch apple 'fan' site:

classic iPhone photo:

with HDR:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:39:28 PM by svdv22 » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »

Developers already confirmed that the iOS 4.1 improve the iPhone 3G performance since the last update.

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 02:56:58 AM »

My friends has the exactly same problem.

Does it tunes have the option to restore on the screen that's telling you which iOS you're running?

If not seach the web for iPhone OS 3.0-file

Then;
        * Connect your iPhone to your computer.
        * Turn iPhone off.
        * Hold power and home together for 10 seconds.
        * Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
        * A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
        * If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode.

iPhone is made to sync with iTunes, if you use other software it just won't work that well. Easy as that.
If you have errors or want help you should say what those errors contain so people can help Smiley

For sending pictures:
- Tap on the icon with the arrow going out of the box (top right)
- Select the pictures you want to email (max. 5)
- Tap 'share'
- Tap 'email'

For seeing how much free space you got:
- Tap 'settings'
- Tap 'general'
- Scroll down a bit and see how much space you got and how much free space you have left

I'm not familiar with the limits of sending and/or recording with the voice recorder. But it is a voice recorder and not a song recorder so I guess it's not limitless.

You have to get into the way an iPhone works a bit but once you do you'll love it Smiley

Damn the sending pictures thingie worked, I must've always tried with more than 5 pics. Also the free space thing, too Cheesy Thanks.

I don't underline the iTunes sync being the best tho, I'm using three different computers, so the iTunes is being a nagging bitch, who's going haywire, about the open relationships with the two other computers and I, atleast, havent found an option in iTnes to ADD to the music libary? When I click on manually sync music it whines about marriage to this one computer and wants to erase all the nice stuff got from others. Talk about being jealous, I will destroy the pics, it says.

Sharepad is the best bit of software I've found to this and I've had no problems using it to sync music and recordings and iTunes to apps.

And the whole thing with ringtones, am I the only one who feels that it's made that way to lure people with bad computer skills to buy the ringtone?

Having ranted about iPhone, well, the phone works well in everything else and I work at telecommunications, so I've tested Nokia's E-series. Iphone email, contacts an calendar, no sync issues for me or ANY my friends, I've dealt with double contacts and erased calendars with before. IPhone wins, but I'd like to test how it fares agains't an N8.

superstarmc
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 07:41:23 AM »

Get the Iphone 4.  It's lightning fast compared to the 3g and being able to watch netflix anywhere is awesome. 
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »

You got it? Is the camera as good as they claim?

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 12:33:06 PM »

Get the Iphone 4.  It's lightning fast compared to the 3g and being able to watch netflix anywhere is awesome. 
The 3GS can do the netflix thing too. Not in HD, but oh well...

svdv22
VIP

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 02:36:37 PM »

I don't underline the iTunes sync being the best tho, I'm using three different computers, so the iTunes is being a nagging bitch, who's going haywire, about the open relationships with the two other computers and I, atleast, havent found an option in iTnes to ADD to the music libary? When I click on manually sync music it whines about marriage to this one computer and wants to erase all the nice stuff got from others. Talk about being jealous, I will destroy the pics, it says.

Sharepad is the best bit of software I've found to this and I've had no problems using it to sync music and recordings and iTunes to apps.

And the whole thing with ringtones, am I the only one who feels that it's made that way to lure people with bad computer skills to buy the ringtone?

Having ranted about iPhone, well, the phone works well in everything else and I work at telecommunications, so I've tested Nokia's E-series. Iphone email, contacts an calendar, no sync issues for me or ANY my friends, I've dealt with double contacts and erased calendars with before. IPhone wins, but I'd like to test how it fares agains't an N8.

Apple did kinda protect the stuff on the iPod/iPhone/iPad. It's because you have to buy music from iTunes and then put it on your device. You can't put it from your device to another computer or add from two different computers on one device. There are (pain-in-the-ass) work arounds as you mentioned but this is not a standard feature indeed.
I guess it's because the record companies don't want to. They got deals with apple and I think this is one of the cons so the music is at least a bit protected from being easily copied to everywhere...

I think it's the same reason why there's no bluetooth file transfer option (who needs it anyway? Wink) You can add bluetooth headphones and stuff but you can't send file via bluetooth.

Also you have to buy ringtones. If you think it's complete bullshit to buy a 30 second ringtone for a song you already own (like me) you can make your own. The easiest way I know is:

- Right click on a song in iTunes
- Choose info
- Click on the tab option
- Set a start and ending time, not that the song has to last exactly 30 seconds
- Click ok

Then you'll need to convert this song to a .m4a file. To do so go to the preferences
- Click on 'import settings' in the first tab (general)
- Choose aac and the settings you want
- Click ok

Now you can rightclick on the song (or any song) and choose "convert selection to AAC"
- When it's done drag the file out of iTunes to your desktop or something
- Rename the .m4a file to .m4r
- Import it back to iTunes, it'll now appear in the 'ringtones' list ready to sync with your iPhone.

You can delete the original 30 second version of the song and also don't forget to undo the start and endtime of the song.

You'll get handy in it, I create ringtones in a minute so I guess that's doable. Smiley

loretian
VIP

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 09:17:11 AM »

My friends has the exactly same problem.

Does it tunes have the option to restore on the screen that's telling you which iOS you're running?

If not seach the web for iPhone OS 3.0-file

Then;
        * Connect your iPhone to your computer.
        * Turn iPhone off.
        * Hold power and home together for 10 seconds.
        * Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
        * A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
        * If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode.

Unfortunately, that method no longer works unless you have your SHSH key backed up somewhere.  To restore to any version of iOS, iTunes will send a custom key to their restore server and check with Apple to see if they are allowing restores to that iOS version.  Right now, they aren't allowing restores to any version of iOS except 4.0.2 (and possibly 4.0.1).  The only way to get around this is to back up your custom SHSH with each iOS version you're on, and then using a jailbreaking service, like Cydia, to answer in lieu of the apple server when you do a restore.

Trust me, it's worth backing up your SHSH key each time you do an iOS upgrade, and it does not require jailbreaking your phone.

Regarding iPhone 3G and iOS 4.1,  Apple did state that the iOS 4.1 update would fix the speed issues in their latest media conference thing, because they said the speed problems on the iPhone 3G were a "bug":  http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/03/ios_4_1_on_iphone_3g_shows_marked_improvement_in_speed_test.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:21:24 AM by loretian » Logged

svdv22
VIP

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »

Regarding iPhone 3G and iOS 4.1,  Apple did state that the iOS 4.1 update would fix the speed issues in their latest media conference thing, because they said the speed problems on the iPhone 3G were a "bug":  http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/03/ios_4_1_on_iphone_3g_shows_marked_improvement_in_speed_test.html

Nice Cheesy

loretian
VIP

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »

iOS 4.1 is out.  I'm not upgrading, because I'm waiting for the jailbreak to come out first (remember to back up your SHSH keys for iOS 4.0.x now if you ever want to be able to downgrade your iOS), but I figure most people aren't waiting.

Has the update solved the iPhone 3G slowness "bug", svdv22?  And others who were experiencing the same problem?

svdv22
VIP

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »

It didn't completely solve the problem but it's much faster than it was with iOS 4.0 Smiley

Too bad HDR is only featured on iPhone 4.0 Sad

loretian
VIP

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 08:46:18 PM »

It didn't completely solve the problem but it's much faster than it was with iOS 4.0 Smiley

Too bad HDR is only featured on iPhone 4.0 Sad

Cool, that's good to hear!

And yeah, it is too bad about the HDR. Not sure if it's due to a hardware requirement or if it's an Apple incentive to get people to upgrade.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: