Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:07:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 169513 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« on: January 14, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »

Because pitchers and catchers report "soon"!!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »

Looks like the Albert talks are getting ready to heat up.

From Fox Sports Midwest:

By B.J. Rains
FOXSportsMidwest.com
Jan. 15, 2011

ST. LOUIS ? The agent for Albert Pujols has informed the Cardinals that his client will not negotiate a contract extension once spring training begins next month.

Set to become a free agent at the end of the year, the Cardinals? franchise player apparently is giving St. Louis about a month to sign him or else face the alternative ? Pujols playing out the final season of his contract and becoming a free agent next winter.

?We have been notified that spring training would be the deadline,? Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told reporters at the club?s annual charity event Saturday. When asked if that meant the start of spring training, Mozeliak nodded.

Mozeliak has kept quiet since negotiations began, agreeing to a request by Pujols? agent, Dan Lozano, to keep their talks confidential. And the Cardinals GM didn?t comment further on where they stood, saying only that they are continuing to talk.

?We don?t want to sit here and handicap or guess or kind of give any type of gut feels as to where this thing is headed right now,? Mozeliak said. ?In respect to that, that?s really all I can add to the topic at this time. Hopefully in the near future it?s something we can talk more about.?

Pujols signed a seven-year deal with an option for an eighth year prior to the start of the 2004 season. The Cardinals picked up Pujols? option shortly after last season ended, making the total value of the deal $111 million over eight seasons.

The three-time MVP should get significantly more in his next deal ? perhaps as much as $30 million per season for eight or nine seasons.

Position players are scheduled to report to the Cardinals? spring training complex in Jupiter, Fla., on Feb. 18

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:24 AM »

Some hysterical barbs from former Card reliever Steve Kline at the Tony Larussa roast last Sunday:

■He suggested that La Russa ?does great for animals. It?s people he shits on. Ask Scott Rolen or Ozzie Smith.?
■Kline commented that the manager likes cats, except one. ?The only pussy you didn?t like was J.D. Drew.?
■In TLR?s next job, he can?t be a Santa since he can?t stand kids. ?See what he did to Brendan Ryan.?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 12:03:50 AM »

Manny and Johnny Damon to the Rays smoking

Vernon Wells to the 'Halos Sad
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:46:26 PM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »

Manny and Johnny Damon to the Rays smoking

Vernon Wells to the 'Halos Sad
Yeah, some pretty nice moves by the Rays.  Should keep them at least competitive in the AL East.  I think both Damon and Man-Ram still have some game left in them.

Some tweets today from Buster Olney on Pujols.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Wrote this in today's column: Cardinals' understanding is that if Pujols' extension isn't completed, he will reject all trade proposals.

Because Pujols will exercise trade veto power, there are only 2 outcomes to situation: Either he'll get an extension, or he'll become a FA.

It's becoming increasingly clear that the next 10 days will be absolutely critical in the Cardinals' talks with Pujols.
3 hours ago

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 04:14:30 PM »

IMO the Cardinals need to just shut up and pay the man. He will be worth whatever money he is asking for.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »

IMO the Cardinals need to just shut up and pay the man. He will be worth whatever money he is asking for.

Buster's a bit behind on his "story breaking" tweets concerning the trade veto "news" - that's been a given since Albert got his 10/5 rights..

It'll get done, there's no way no how they let him get away for a mere 2 draft pics - he's the face of baseball, the best player of the generation and tracking to be the best player in the history of the game. 

As for the Rays and Damon and ManRam, both reaches and have little if anything left in the tank.  Gotta make you wonder when the Longoria/Price fire sale starts..

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:03:55 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 11:37:35 PM »

I think Damon can still contribute, especially offensively.  Manny is a bit of a question mark, but it's a low risk/high reward type of situation.  If he doesn't pan out, it's not going to hamstring the team.  I think they did pretty well considering what budget they have.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

Sad day, i saw this one coming. I still think he can get in the HOF. He finishes with more then 100 games over .500. One of the best big game postseason pitchers ever. His postseason numbers should play a big part imo. The two times using HGH might hurt him but i hope not. Because unlike Bonds, Clemens McGwire he used them to get healthy. Not to put up better numbers. I'm not saying that makes his decision to use it right, its not he was wrong but he clearly didn't do it for the same reasons.

Andy Pettitte to retire Friday

Email
    Print
    Comments711

By Wallace Matthews
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive
Source: Pettitte To Retire
Michael Kay on the news Andy Pettitte will announce his retirement on FridayTags: MLB, new york yankees, andy pettitte, a.j. burnett, ivan nova

Learn More ? Report a bug ? Feedback ?

NEW YORK -- The Core Four is now down to We Three.

As many expected since the New York Yankees' 2010 season ended in disappointment in Texas, Andy Pettitte will officially announce his retirement at a news conference at Yankee Stadium at 10:30 a.m. ET on Friday.

Pettitte's intentions, first reported by 1050 ESPN Radio's Michael Kay, were confirmed by the Yankees in announcing the news conference.

"He's on a plane right now," a high-ranking Yankees executive told ESPNNewYork.com, "and unless he changes his mind in the air, he'll announce his retirement [Friday]."

More on Pettitte

Yankees
Former Yankees outfielder Paul O'Neill says that Andy Pettitte's retirement leaves a big hole in the New York rotation. Story

? Yankees fans left nervous

? ESPN Stats & Info: Hall of Fame case

? Rykoff: Farewell from a fan

? Yankees blog

Pettitte phoned Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner to inform him of his decision, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Pettitte, who will turn 39 on June 15, has wrestled with thoughts of retirement for the past several seasons. But never had he seemed as serious about the imminent end of his career than last season, when he spoke several times about his desire to spend more time at home in Deer Park, Texas, with his wife and their four school-age children.

Pettitte's upcoming role as the star prosecution witness in the perjury trial of Roger Clemens, his former friend and teammate, may have also played a factor in his decision.

But until Thursday, some Yankees officials were holding out hope that as in years past, Pettitte would reconsider as spring training drew closer, a hope that became more urgent when the Yankees failed to sign Cliff Lee as a free agent this winter.

General manager Brian Cashman, however, had remained consistent in his belief that Pettitte would not be a part of the Yankees' starting rotation this season.

"Andy's not in play," the GM said repeatedly this winter. "Unless he tells me otherwise, I'm proceeding as if he won't be with us next year."

Most Playoff Wins

PettitteSure, there are more postseason games these days than in years past, but no pitcher in the game's history has more playoff wins than Andy Pettitte.

Most Postseason Wins -- MLB, All-Time
   Wins
Andy Pettitte    19
John Smoltz    15
Tom Glavine    14
Roger Clemens    12

powered by ESPN Stats and Info

Pettitte compiled a 240-138 record and 3.88 ERA in 13 seasons with the Yankees and three with the Houston Astros. He is a three-time All Star, a two-time 20-game winner and a member of five Yankees world championship teams. He appeared in two other World Series with the Yankees as well and another with the Astros. He's won more games, 19, than any pitcher in postseason history.

Along with Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada, he was among the last remaining members of the Yankees teams that won four championships in five seasons between 1996 and 2000.

"Andy was always one of those pitchers that you hated to face," said Curtis Granderson, who faced Pettitte while on the Tigers before becoming a Yankee. "Every pitch he threw was consistent, and at-bats against him were continuous chess matches. He was the ultimate competitor.

"He was a leader in the clubhouse and a community presence. His quiet and humble nature would never let you in on either of those attributes."

Pettitte got off to the best start of his career in 2010, going 11-2 with a 2.38 ERA before a groin strain suffered on July 18 robbed him of two months of the season. He finished up 11-3 with a 3.28 ERA and went 1-1 in the postseason, beating the Minnesota Twins in Game 2 of the ALDS and losing Game 3 of the ALCS to the Rangers and Lee despite allowing just two runs in seven innings.

Pettitte's decision to retire leaves the Yankees treacherously thin in the starting rotation, with CC Sabathia, Phil Hughes and A.J. Burnett the only experienced returning starters on the staff.

Ivan Nova, who made a handful of starts as a rookie last season, is expected to fill the No. 4 spot and a collection of retreads (Sergio Mitre plus new acquisitions Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia) will compete for the No. 5 spot in spring training unless Cashman can add another experienced starter.

Cashman did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

"It was an honor to be able to share the Yankees clubhouse with one of the game's greatest players last year," Granderson said. " I have nothing but 100 percent confidence in our pitching staff and coaches. We've made some great offseason additions and we have a ton of talent on our roster, especially in the starting rotation and in the bullpen."

Wallace Matthews covers the Yankees for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Wallace Matthews on Twitter: @wallacematthews
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »

Let me preface this by saying I like Pettitte, he seems like a good guy.

Good guy or not, he's a convicted user - maybe time will change the perception but that's my take on his short term legacy outside of Yankeedom.

"Healthy" got him more starts which in turn got him better stats.

The HOF??

Not a chance for now, and that's a shame.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 10:44:16 PM »

We'll just have to wait and see. I mean the guy hasn't even had his press conference yet and then we have to wait 5 years before he's even eligible. Lots of time to debate and for the voters to think about it. Serious question though, do you honestly think there is no one in the HOF that hasn't used something illegal? We know coke and amphetamines use was at one time rampant. Who's to say that didn't enhance their performances?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:46:16 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »

Oh hell yes there's guys in the HOF that used illegal substances, no doubt about it.  Greenies, coke - you name it.  And I'm sure some guys used to "get going" so to speak, getting them in more games etc. There's just much more scrutiny and stigma that goes along with PEDS in this day and age.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:32:41 AM »

Oh hell yes there's guys in the HOF that used illegal substances, no doubt about it.  Greenies, coke - you name it.  And I'm sure some guys used to "get going" so to speak, getting them in more games etc. There's just much more scrutiny and stigma that goes along with PEDS in this day and age.

Exactly and i don't understand why. It's like everyone just focuses on what happened in the steroid era in the 90s early 2000s. But deny what players used in the past. I'm sure PEDs helped more then stuff like coke, amphetamines etc. Its like people just don't think anyone that's in the halls numbers could be tainted in anyway and its bullshit.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 09:42:05 AM »

Exactly and i don't understand why. It's like everyone just focuses on what happened in the steroid era in the 90s early 2000s. But deny what players used in the past. I'm sure PEDs helped more then stuff like coke, amphetamines etc. Its like people just don't think anyone that's in the halls numbers could be tainted in anyway and its bullshit.
Well the problem is, these guys admitted to "cheating", or at least were under intense scrutiny.  As the old saying  goes, it's only cheating if you get caught.  That and the fact that the guys looked cartoonish and put up numbers that you only see in video games.  For YEARS 50 homers was near impossible to reach.  All of a sudden each team seemed to have a guy who approached that number.  Obviously every era had their own issues and problems, but in this day and age with the media coverage the way it is, there was no sneeking by.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 11:55:01 AM »

I think Pettite is borderline, Steroids/HGH doesn't equate into my decision, but he'd probably get my vote. The guy was clutch throughout his career. As a Sox fan, glad I don't have to see him on the mound anymore. HOF is kind of a joke anyway. Most voters say they won't vote for Barry Bonds. If the greatest hitter of his generation, and possibly of all time isn't in the HOF, then it really serves no purpose. The only reason steroids weren't an issue from the beginning is because they didn't exist. Now that they are here, they always will be. People hoping for good clean baseball should stick to their kids little league games.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »

I think Pettite is borderline...

Same here, although I don't think he'll ever make it.

The "star witness" standing in the Clemens trial won't help either, nobody likes a rat.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 04:15:01 PM »

that's supposedly a reason he's retiring, not enough energy to deal with another full season, plus the Clemens trial. Forget where I heard that, but makes sense. Clemens...man, talk about falling on your face. Can't say I feel bad for him though.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 08:17:11 PM »

He was asked about that at the press conference. He said it in NO way had anything to do with his decision. He just can't fully put his heart into it anymore. The drive and desire is gone. He said when he thought about packing his bags and leaving Laura and the kids again he just couldn't do it. When you no longer have that desire that hunger its time to get out. I commend him for making the right choice. I will miss seeing him on that mound dearly but you can't fault the guy for wanting to spend more time with Laura and their four children. It had nothing to do with what they wanted either. Only his 5 year old didn't want him to, his oldest was mad he decided to retire, Laura was pushing him to go back. He even at one point told her two weeks ago he would go back but changed his mind. I hope to see him at old timers day this year. He may or may not get in cooperstown but his number will be retired and almost assuredly will end up in monument park.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 09:41:59 PM »

...but his number will be retired and almost assuredly will end up in monument park.

Andy Pettitte's number retired, seriously?

It'll be interesting to see how the Clemens trial plays out and it's effect on Andy's legacy within the organization and it's fanbase, I can't see any circumstance where it will enhance it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:44:45 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »

Yes, seriously. Among yankee left-handers he is second only to Whitey Ford in wins. In world series appearances he's also second to Ford. He's got 5 rings. He's 2nd in strikeouts. He's tied for second in postseason strikeouts. The all time lead in post season wins, starts and innings pitched. If he hadn't left the yankees for 3 years he would have more wins in a yankee uniform then Ford and has more overall. You can't deny those numbers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: