Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:35:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227770 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 169476 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #940 on: December 10, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »

He did have his best season this year so who knows? I don't see him winning the appeal. Nobody has ever won it since MLB started testing. We'll have to wait and see.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #941 on: December 10, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »

Makes no sense

Guy is a rail.

Has put up the same consistent #'s since his arrival........just has become a more complete player

If true, very sad, as he is one of my favorite players
Can't judge a book by its cover.  Not all PED users look the part.  Not saying Braun is guilty, but it's a dangerous game trying to pick guys based on their build.  I remember utility infielder Manny Alexander got caught with steroids and he certainly didn't fit the description of a steroid user.  The guy had like 3 career home runs.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #942 on: December 12, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »

And the test aren't 100%.

Could legit be a bad or contaminated test....we'll see what happens through the appeal process.

If MLB says it's legit, though...that's a terrible blow to the game.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #943 on: December 12, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »

Him having a 4-1 ratio in his system is going to be very hard for him to explain.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #944 on: December 12, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »

Something just doesn't jive

Braun seems like a smart enough guy to know that if he was doing it, he would get caught. Look at how many one-time locks for the Hall of Fame have been ruined by this testing already.

Will be curious to see how this transpires from here.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #945 on: December 12, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »

I hope it was just simply a mistake. He really seems like a good guy
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #946 on: December 13, 2011, 07:18:10 PM »

Lots of new changes from the new CBA just announced. Thoughts?

New MLB deal includes extra replay
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Baseball's new labor contract includes more video replay, the chance for a longer All-Star break and a small, but likely welcome perk for players: the chance to get a private room instead of a roommate during spring training.

The Associated Press obtained the document that includes several changes, many starting next year. Among them:

? Allowing teams from the same division to meet in the playoffs before the league championship series.

? A ban on players getting tattoos with corporate logos.

? The possibility of players wearing microphones during games.

Players have already ratified the hundreds of pages contained in Major League Baseball's Memorandum of Understanding. Owners are scheduled to vote Thursday.

Also part of the deal: Any big leaguer who wants to change uniform numbers without switching teams better give eight months' notice unless he's willing to buy warehouses full of his overstocked jerseys.

MLB wants to expand replay to include fair-or-foul calls, "whether a fly ball or line drive was trapped" and fan interference all around the ballpark. Umpires still must give their approval and it's uncertain whether the extra replay will be in place by opening day.

Also part of the deal: Any big leaguer who wants to change uniform numbers without switching teams better give eight months' notice, unless he's willing to buy warehouses full of his overstocked jerseys.

Video review began in August 2008, but only to look at potential home runs.

The All-Star break will be expanded to four days, rather than the traditional three-day gap. The five-year deal says starting in 2013 that MLB "shall have the right to elect to switch the All-Star game from Tuesday to Wednesday and the Home Run Derby from Monday to Tuesday." Sixty-nine of 82 All-Star games have been played on Tuesday, according to STATS LLC.

Gone, too, are the days of roommates, something that dates back decades, to the days players rode the rails to Florida. Now, all players on 40-man rosters are assured of single rooms during spring training. They've had that perk during the regular season since 1997.

And for players thinking about selling ads on their bodies, MLB has thought ahead. The agreement says "no player may have any visible markings or logos tattooed on his body" as part of the uniform regulations.

"Just trying to head something off at the pass," said Rob Manfred, baseball's executive vice president for labor relations.

The NFL has a rule against "unauthorized commercial identification," according to spokesman Greg Aiello, and the NBA has a rule banning corporate insignia, spokesman Mike Bass said. Baseball appears to be the first U.S. major pro league to specifically ban commercial tattoos.

Quick uniform number switches will be a thing of the past.

Players must tell the commissioner's office by July 31 of the preceding year if they want a new jersey. That is, unless "the player (or someone on his behalf) purchases the existing finished goods inventory of apparel containing the player's jersey number." As in, every replica jersey, jacket, T-shirt, mug and anything else with a number that's anywhere in stock.

The deal also bans players and team officials from asking official scorers to reconsider decisions -- clubs must instead send video to MLB to appeal calls -- and increases punishments for slow-moving hitters and pitchers, raising pace-of-game fines up to $10,000 each for the sixth violation and beyond.

There are several provisions regarding players' conduct. They include:

? A ban on players betting with illegal bookies on any sport.

? New language allowing the commissioner to discipline players for violating federal, state or local law or for conduct "materially detrimental or materially prejudicial to the best interests of baseball."

? Possible suspensions for intentionally throwing a ball or equipment at non-uniformed personnel with the intention of causing bodily harm; for assaulting fans, media or umpires; or for making public statements that question the integrity of the game, the umpires, the commissioner or the commissioner's staff.

"Just want to make sure our rules are up to date," Manfred said. "In general we looked at the rules and thought we had some things that could be tighter."

Players also can be disciplined for violating MLB's social media policy, which still is being developed.

The agreement calls for nicknames written on equipment to "not reasonably likely to offend fans, business partners, players and others associated with the game."

Eliminating a practice of some teams, there is a prohibition on "taxi squads" -- calling up players from the minors and not activating them. Also, teams may only invite players to offseason minicamps if they are not yet eligible for salary arbitration.

The deal includes a new schedule format starting in 2013, when there will be six five-team divisions, with no more than 20 interleague games per team. Teams will play 17 or 18 times against division opponents, with the exact format still to be worked out.

And there's at least one issue still to be decided.

For the postseason, the sides agreed to negotiate on tiebreaker rules -- do teams tied for the last wild-card berth meet on the field, or will the tie be broken by a formula?
Jbat81
Rocker

NY FOOTBALL GIANTS

« Reply #947 on: December 13, 2011, 10:36:54 PM »

Makes no sense

Guy is a rail.

Has put up the same consistent #'s since his arrival........just has become a more complete player

If true, very sad, as he is one of my favorite players
Can't judge a book by its cover.  Not all PED users look the part.  Not saying Braun is guilty, but it's a dangerous game trying to pick guys based on their build.  I remember utility infielder Manny Alexander got caught with steroids and he certainly didn't fit the description of a steroid user.  The guy had like 3 career home runs.

Yea, the built does NOT matter. I see it more as giving them more "stamina". Ive never taken PED, but know people... and theres all types of PED's... Too bad for him. He's on my Fantasy basebal keeper league. 50 games without him most likely. But seriously, I never feel too bad...theyre stil, after all, millionaires... BTW, I have a couple of my boys in Venenezuela that are cool with King Felix people.... according to him, Felix has said he would love a trade to my Yankees... I doubt if Seattle lets him go. Hes the only attraction right now....

5-14-06 NY
5-15-06 NY
11-08-06 MA
11-17-11 NJ
11-19-11 CT
11-25-11 MA
12-30-11 NV
12-31-11 NV
2-10-12 NY
2-12-12 NY
2-15-12 NY
4-8-16 NV
4-9-16 NV
7-19-16 MA
7-20-16 MA
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #948 on: December 20, 2011, 02:30:08 AM »

The rangers have won the bidding rights to negotiate with Yu Darnish for 51.1 million dollars. It will be interesting to see if they can sign him and how well he'll due in the majors. I'm always weary with Japanese pitchers coming over they seem to be very ht and miss.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #949 on: December 20, 2011, 07:23:50 AM »

The rangers have won the bidding rights to negotiate with Yu Darnish for 51.1 million dollars. It will be interesting to see if they can sign him and how well he'll due in the majors. I'm always weary with Japanese pitchers coming over they seem to be very ht and miss.

Mostly miss...
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #950 on: December 20, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »

The skepticism on Darvish is understandable given that former Japanese pitchers never really lived up to their hype in MLB, but then none of those guys had 5 straight sub-2.00 ERA years like Darvish has.  I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch. 

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #951 on: December 20, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »

The skepticism on Darvish is understandable given that former Japanese pitchers never really lived up to their hype in MLB, but then none of those guys had 5 straight sub-2.00 ERA years like Darvish has.  I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch. 

Give me a break. Let me see one Jap pitcher consistently perform as a stud pitcher for more than one year. To pay these posting fees is ludicrous. Unless you really think business-wise that bringing in the guy will boost your Japanese viewer interest/market to capture a profitable return, you're pissing money away.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #952 on: December 20, 2011, 12:55:55 PM »

Give me a break. Let me see one Jap pitcher consistently perform as a stud pitcher for more than one year. To pay these posting fees is ludicrous. Unless you really think business-wise that bringing in the guy will boost your Japanese viewer interest/market to capture a profitable return, you're pissing money away.

I think he's going to be very good.  We'll have to wait and see how he pans out, but I'll make a wild prediction and guess that he'll at least be better than Kei Igawa.  Kangaete-mite!

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #953 on: December 20, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »

In fairness, Nomo had several good seasons before major league hitters caught on to him.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #954 on: December 22, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »

Just talked to someone "in the know" who says Gio Gonzalez is headed to Washington.  Deal is all but done, unless medical records/physicals fail.

News should probably break late tonight or tomorrow AM.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #955 on: December 22, 2011, 11:43:31 PM »

I'm still not happy about Albert so my judgement on the Cards signing Carlos Beltran is extremely clouded right now.

2 years 26 mil.

Some objective outside opinions would be welcome here guys, give it to me straight.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #956 on: December 23, 2011, 06:43:16 AM »

I'm still not happy about Albert so my judgement on the Cards signing Carlos Beltran is extremely clouded right now.

2 years 26 mil.

Some objective outside opinions would be welcome here guys, give it to me straight.

He's no Albert, that's for sure.

It's a nice pickup for a decent price.  He'll provide them some pop, but he's not going to be the heart and soul of that team.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #957 on: December 23, 2011, 10:17:59 AM »

2 years 26 mil.

He's no Albert, that's for sure.

It's a nice pickup for a decent price.  He'll provide them some pop, but he's not going to be the heart and soul of that team.

If he manages to stay healthy, which at 34 yrs old and bum knees is 50/50, he's a bargain at that price.  And with the exception of a certain 2006 strikeout we shall not speak of, he's generally a big-time clutch hitter.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #958 on: December 23, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »

I've been reading some of the Beltran signing post mortem from both national and local media types, interesting stuff.

It's probably 95/5 in favor as opposed, time will tell I suppose.

Bottom line he's gotta stay healthy and play 140 games, it's a short term gamble but a 26 million dollar gamble nonetheless.

I just hope his knees don't buckle when he walks into the clubhouse in spring training and sees Adam Wainwright.

Sorry George.. Wink

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #959 on: December 24, 2011, 07:34:23 AM »

I think it might be time to start the 2012 thread....

Smiley

I'm going to go do that.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: