Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:12:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy is $1.99 at Best Buy
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy is $1.99 at Best Buy  (Read 58926 times)
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #200 on: April 26, 2011, 01:56:07 PM »

I honestly prefer GNR the way it is now than for it to die. Even though im mainly a fan of the old band.

I accept the new band. Hey... at least we're getting tours and music!  ok

What ??

AXL, 26
DIZZY, 21
TOMMY, 13
PITMAN, 13
MANTIA, 11
FORTUS, 9
BUMBLE, 6
FERRER, 6

NEW IS DJ, 3

GN'R CAMP ?? JAMES, 26 - BETA, 20

Special Guest >> DUFF (Member Of AFD Debut Disc) & IZZY (Co.Founder GN'R)

What New Band ?? It's Solo Obssesion x One Ex.Member, Please... Blah, Blah, Blah...

smoking Cool smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »

Jesus! I either need to be drunk or need a decoder ring for that.^

CD will be out when it's out. ....
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »

Years in the band I think

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2011, 03:24:52 PM »

Bill Gates Solutions

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2011, 08:57:43 PM »

When legendary bands go through significant lineup changes, it tends to result in a dwindling fanbase. Examples:

Aerosmith--when Joe Perry and Brad Whitford left in the early 80's, Steven Tyler brought in two new guitar players for the "Rock In A Hard Place" album. No one bought it, no one cared. Only when Perry and Whitford returned in 1984, and Tyler cleaned up, did Aerosmith return to prior popularity levels, with the "Permanent Vacation" album.

Van Halen--David Lee Roth leaves for a solo career, and Sammy Hagar becomes lead vocalist. First two albums, "5150" and "OU812" sell very well, but fans of the original lineup miss the guitar-infused earlier work with Dave, and blame Sammy, though the real culprit is Eddie Van Halen, who was far more interested by keyboards after the monster success of "1984", the last record with Dave. By the time "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" is released in 1991, most fans of the classic VH have moved on to Metallica and, ironically, Guns N' Roses. Flash forward to 2011, and the new album featuring the return of David Lee Roth on vocals is rumored to be done, though Eddie's son, Wolfie, has replaced Michael Anthony on bass. We'll see how it fares when it's released.

Motley Crue--after "Dr. Feelgood" hits #1 on the US album chart in 1989, the Crue puts out "Decade Of Decadence 1981-1991", more or less of a greatest hits package, in late '91. In 1992, Vince Neil is fired as lead vocalist, and John Corabi is brought in to replace him. The band releases a self-titled record in 1994 with Corabi on vocals, and it flops. In 1997, Vince Neil returns to the band, and the Crue becomes a popular live act once again, though new album sales don't match the millions sold during the band's 80's/early 90's heyday.

Seems that bands who have faced the death of a fellow band member--AC/DC with Bon Scott, Metallica with Cliff Burton--they have fared better than the bands who have had members quit or fired. Maybe it's because, on a subconscious level, we have to accept those bands with their replacements because we know the others aren't coming back. Led Zeppelin would have likely done very well had they continued, despite John Bonham's untimely passing, and The Who had many successful tours following the death of Keith Moon. It's when all the band members are still alive that make us think, even if it's extremely unlikely, that a reunion is always a possibility. That's why, year after year, GN'R ranks high in those polls that ask which bands you want to see reunite (they're usually behind Pink Floyd and ABBA). The old lineup meant a great deal to a number of people, and yes, those are the people who refuse to accept "Chinese Democracy" as a true Guns album, and refused to buy it, but would pony up hundreds of dollars for a ticket to a reunion show.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »

In many of those cases record sales have very little to do with line up changes.

Even bands who have stayed together for decades will see decreasing sales/popularity sometimes!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2011, 07:57:44 PM »

"When legendary bands go through significant lineup changes, it tends to result in a dwindling fanbase. Examples:

Aerosmith--when Joe Perry and Brad Whitford left in the early 80's, Steven Tyler brought in two new guitar players for the "Rock In A Hard Place" album. No one bought it, no one cared. Only when Perry and Whitford returned in 1984, and Tyler cleaned up, did Aerosmith return to prior popularity levels, with the "Permanent Vacation" album."

Actually "DONE WITH MIRRORS" was the Aerosmith "Comeback" album, N' no one bought it.. Aerosmith was featured on MTV a few years later thanks to the popular RUNDMC Walk This Way video..Than came Permanetn Vacation..
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »

Most people just want what they want.  They want a band to put out the same type of album every time, because thats the sound that they liked in the first place.  I'm sure a Guns N Roses album with the original lineup doing nothing but watered down second rate "Appetite" style songs would have sold boatloads more than "Chinese Democracy."  I applaud Axl for going down a different route.  There was nothing more to prove with that style of hard rock, he already accomplished that with Appetite and the Illusions.  Good for him for not just treading water so to speak, by putting out safe albums that sound like the rest of GNR's work just to make some money and keep his career going.  I'm talking to you Ac/Dc with your "Black Ice."
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2011, 12:59:58 AM »

Most people just want what they want.  They want a band to put out the same type of album every time, because thats the sound that they liked in the first place.  I'm sure a Guns N Roses album with the original lineup doing nothing but watered down second rate "Appetite" style songs would have sold boatloads more than "Chinese Democracy."  I applaud Axl for going down a different route.  There was nothing more to prove with that style of hard rock, he already accomplished that with Appetite and the Illusions.  Good for him for not just treading water so to speak, by putting out safe albums that sound like the rest of GNR's work just to make some money and keep his career going.  I'm talking to you Ac/Dc with your "Black Ice."

Agreed 100%.  A real artist challenges themselves to grow and pushes their boundaries.  That's one of the things I respect about U2 as well.

Ali
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2011, 01:21:32 AM »

...There was nothing more to prove with that style of hard rock, he already accomplished that with Appetite and the Illusions.....

please......its about GOOD songs standing the test of time for the general public, therefor GN'R has a lot....but just many more with the "hard rock" style with the old line-up to (kinda) use your words. lots of people would have enjoyed GOOD hard rock songs by Axl in 2008, but songs like Rhiad, Shacklers, Scraped or OMG (1999) just dont do it.

Re-Union time, baby!!
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2011, 09:29:12 AM »

As of last Monday there were only 2 copies left of CD at the best buy I go to .....

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »

...There was nothing more to prove with that style of hard rock, he already accomplished that with Appetite and the Illusions.....

please......its about GOOD songs standing the test of time for the general public, therefor GN'R has a lot....but just many more with the "hard rock" style with the old line-up to (kinda) use your words. lots of people would have enjoyed GOOD hard rock songs by Axl in 2008, but songs like Rhiad, Shacklers, Scraped or OMG (1999) just dont do it.

No Man... Is >>

GUNS N' ROSES

smoking

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2011, 06:44:12 PM »

it's a bit o' an insult..But hopefully some on the fence will purchase it n' give it a fair shot..I may buy another 1 or 2 jus' 2 support GN'R!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »

Lots of people like to hear the same song over and over again. Some bands find a format and stick with it. Year after year after year.

GN'R isn't one of those bands.  ok Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »

Lots of people like to hear the same song over and over again. Some bands find a format and stick with it. Year after year after year.

GN'R isn't one of those bands.  ok Smiley

/jarmo
[/quote]
the UYI Set was a big step away from AFD...As CD was a big step from UYI, it's a shame so many people haven't given it a fair shot..I don't understand why people refuse to buy it because it's "not GN'R w/out the other guys"...Axl was/is a main contributor to GN'R..
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »

YEAH! That's right Bodhi Grin Grin Grin

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2011, 12:07:43 AM »

For those who think this sale is some kind of "bad idea" or only would happen to GN'R/CD.

Amazon sold digital copies of Lady Gaga's new album for 99 cents. The week it came out. Not more than two years after its release....

/jarmo

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2011, 01:33:05 AM »

For those who think this sale is some kind of "bad idea" or only would happen to GN'R/CD.

Amazon sold digital copies of Lady Gaga's new album for 99 cents. The week it came out. Not more than two years after its release....

/jarmo

They also gave the Lady Gaga album away at Best Buy (I believe) with the purchase of any smartphone.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #218 on: June 19, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »

"When legendary bands go through significant lineup changes, it tends to result in a dwindling fanbase. Examples:

Aerosmith--when Joe Perry and Brad Whitford left in the early 80's, Steven Tyler brought in two new guitar players for the "Rock In A Hard Place" album. No one bought it, no one cared. Only when Perry and Whitford returned in 1984, and Tyler cleaned up, did Aerosmith return to prior popularity levels, with the "Permanent Vacation" album."

Actually "DONE WITH MIRRORS" was the Aerosmith "Comeback" album, N' no one bought it.. Aerosmith was featured on MTV a few years later thanks to the popular RUNDMC Walk This Way video..Than came Permanetn Vacation..

When Van Halen brought in Hagar to replace Roth shows you can still have success with lineup changes. Roger Waters left  Pink Floyd and they had success with The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of reason albums.  You can have success with lineup changes, but it does not happen this way very often.

But all these examples are from 20+ years ago.

At this point regardless of lineup changes very few artists have success with album sales due to the current state of the record industry.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Street of the Blues
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »

Jarmo's right, the $1.99 Best Buy sale is good news for GN'R!  ok
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: