Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Sirius/XM radio question/advice needed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sirius/XM radio question/advice needed  (Read 2958 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: April 07, 2011, 11:28:33 PM »

I'm bout to start a new job where I'll be doing a bit of driving everyday, and I was thinking of getting Sirius Satellite radio.

My question is, since Sirius and XM merged, is XM worth the extra 4 dollars a month?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »

I subscribe just to Sirius so I'm not fully aware of what XM has to offer.  It depends on your preferences I'd say.  Sirius has Howard Stern, for 5 more years at least, the NFL, NBA, and college basketball games.  XM has baseball and from what I understand better comedy channels.  And their version of the Stern Show, with Opie and Anthony.

The music is the same for both services.  To me, XM isn't worth the $4 extra.  It doesn't meet any of my needs.  I'm a big baseball fan, but live in the region of my favorite team so I have no need for the MLB package.  And while I did used to listen to O&A and think they're good, Stern is better.  XM does have a fantasy sports channel that I'd probably listen to, but again, not for the extra dough.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »

Thanks! I really only wanted it for Stern to be honest. Im about to start doing home health care Physical Therapy,which requires driving from various patient's houses, so I need some entertainment. Figure Stern will definitely do the trick.

Is Pearl Jam radio also on Sirius?

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »

Yes, Pearl Jam radio is on Sirius.  Channel 17.  Great channel.  I believe it's on XM too.  As far as I know, all the music stations are the same.  It's the entertainment where the channels differ.  Eddie Trunk's show is on Monday nights on the Boneyard, channel 19.  Stern plays all day long on Howard 100, and various Stern related programs on Howard 101.  It's a godsend for people who spend a lot of time in the car.  I travel for work too, and I don't know what I'd do if I had to listen to terrestrial radio all day long.  I haven't listened in 6 years since I got Sirius, outside of being in others cars who don't have Sirius, or listening to local sports talk radio.  That's one thing you don't get on Sirius, local news.  And since the only real local news I care about is sports, I sometimes do listen to the local sports stations.  Sirius has national sports stations.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »

Best of XM is not worth it.

HOWEVER, if you go with XM, and get the Best of Sirius...you'd add Stern and some other channels..and that MIGHT be worth whatever premium they pay (and you'd get baseball...which is the ONE thing I wish was added to the Best of XM package for Sirius subs).

Since the music channels are basically the same, the only difference is the talk channels.  XM's, to me, aren't worth paying extra for.  Sirius' are.

I bought Sirius (for Stern) but won't pony up for The Best of XM with the current offerings.  I would consider doing it for baseball season, if Best of XM offered all the games.  As far as I know, it doesn't...just the single MLB channel.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:15:19 PM »

Thanks guys. On my way to Best Buy to pick one up and a few copies of Chinese Democracy. Definitely am gonna just go with the Sirius package.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »

Stern was on FIRE yesterday.

I thought it was the best show in YEARS.  First off, Maria Menounos was on, and she's hot.  I thought she was great on the show, with some major help from her longtime boyfriend.  She's kept him somewhat of a secret over the years but Howard brought him on and he let loose about everything Maria.  Shaved, sexual preferences, etc.  There were no boundaries. 

I'd like to point out too, an amazing factoid about their relationship.  They met in college when she was 19 and FORTY lbs. overweight.  He exclaimed that he saw some potential in her and stuck with her as she developed into the hot piece of ass she is today.  Now THAT folks, is a supreme talent evaluator.  I can only imagine the number of guys who brushed her off because of the excess weight.

Anyhow, I thought the interview was fantastic, but I've read a few comments to the contrary.  Am I just blinded by her beauty and her love for Boston sports?  Let me know what you think.

And to be honest, her boyfriend DOES make the interview, so if you get bored by just her, skip to when he comes in on part 2 about 3 minutes in and he starts revealing the intimate details around the 5 minute mark.  From there on out it's smooth sailing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmt5iMn-9fY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kduSmpQ6aw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg9Q22_B2kc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbeZR8PHiU&feature=related

And THEN, as if that wasn't enough.  Courtney Cox comes in to surprise the crew during Robin's news.  And Howard plays the role of marriage counselor between David Arquette (who was in studio all week) and Courtney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUm16hdkAyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNYqHU_w07Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPZnntkiSa4

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:12:39 AM »

Got my stuff installed today, heard some of the arquette/cox stuff and listened to the foo fighters interview which was great.

Im getting some static though. not terrible but enough to annoy me somewhat. I'm gonna keep messing with the stations but it should be crystal clear correct?

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »

Got my stuff installed today, heard some of the arquette/cox stuff and listened to the foo fighters interview which was great.

Im getting some static though. not terrible but enough to annoy me somewhat. I'm gonna keep messing with the stations but it should be crystal clear correct?
Depends how it's installed.  If it's hard wired in, then yes it should be clear.  I "installed" mine myself with the car kit.  It's set to a certain frequency and depending on where I travel, I can encounter some static.  So I have 2 stations I switch between.  You can go to the Sirius site and they'll tell you the best stations to have it tuned to depending on your area, IF that's the way you have it installed.

bigcash2002
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »

howard's interview style is so disciplined and strategic that he can get just about anyone to tell private info...regardless of their celebrity status

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »

I bought a FM Direct Adapter that is suppose to be amazing and an Aux input cable to hook from audio to back of my CD player to help with sound.

So those FM Direct Adapters are suppose to give it CD type quality from what I hear.

This Radio has been a Godsend though. Stern, Hairnation, the metal channel, Bender, Lithium, Then ESPN Radio where i get to listen to my favorite show ESPN First Take everyday from 1-3 while driving. LOVE IT! not to mention my 80's and 90's stations.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KGLL84

Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »

The Jason Ellis Show is pretty cool too.  I think it is in the mornings on Faction.   
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »

I'm bout to start a new job where I'll be doing a bit of driving everyday, and I was thinking of getting Sirius Satellite radio.

My question is, since Sirius and XM merged, is XM worth the extra 4 dollars a month?

If you are going to do a lot of driving then get it! I got Sirius back in 07 and got the deal for $500 life time subscription. One of the best things I ever got. I just wish they would brink the Led Zeppelin ch back.  Sad

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 02:03:09 AM »

i drive bout 3 hours a day. this has def made the travel way more entertaining and easier to handle for sure. Stern gets going and I almost wish i had an extra hour to finish the show!

FM Direct Adapter works fantastically. no static whatsoever

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: