Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 02:13:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228069 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Is Slash the Worst Decision Maker in Rock History?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Slash the Worst Decision Maker in Rock History?  (Read 31144 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2011, 12:10:06 PM »

Also, if u are an  Axl Rose fan, Slash doing the Super Bowl should be the greatest thing ever cause it made people switch over to Axl's side and remember and give him credit for how amazing he is. No one dug that Super Bowl and it even made Axl a worldwide trending topic, a very PRO/positive trending topic on how no one can do Axl and how Shitty Slash doing that with BEP was.

I hold true to my statement: I thought it was terrible, horrible, ridiculous BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, if it helps him sell his Solo CD and allows him to sell out some venues and tour, I can't kick a man or hold it against him. especially in this day and age of the music business.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2011, 08:03:24 PM »

Also, if u are an  Axl Rose fan, Slash doing the Super Bowl should be the greatest thing ever cause it made people switch over to Axl's side and remember and give him credit for how amazing he is. No one dug that Super Bowl and it even made Axl a worldwide trending topic, a very PRO/positive trending topic on how no one can do Axl and how Shitty Slash doing that with BEP was.

I hold true to my statement: I thought it was terrible, horrible, ridiculous BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, if it helps him sell his Solo CD and allows him to sell out some venues and tour, I can't kick a man or hold it against him. especially in this day and age of the music business.

Yeah, the Super Bowl performance was nauseating.  Not because of Slash's performance at all, but more Fergie's and the fact that he was up there in a bedazzled top hat playing a GN'R classic with the Black Eyed Peas.  But, it was probably a good decision business-wise.  It just could have been executed a little better.  The bedazzled top hat made him look like he was trying to fit in with the BEPs rather than just being himself.  It was just unnecessary.  But, Christ, at least the mix could have been better and the singer could have sung the song in tune.

But, to this day, I can't understand the AI appearance.  There was no solo album at that time.  VR was on hiatus.  What was he promoting?  It was funny because it happened a few months after Axl called him a "whore for the limelight" and there he was on TV's biggest show promoting no particular tour or record.  My first thought when I saw him on AI was "he's proving Axl right".

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2011, 08:07:41 PM »

And, D, no offense, but to compare what Axl did for GTA: San Andreas and Slash's role in Guitar Hero is a bad comparison.  Axl did a relatively minor voice role in the game.  He was not an avatar/character in the game and he was not featured on the cover or in the marketing of the game at all.  I'm not saying Slash is a sell-out for what he did with Guitar Hero, I just think it is a shit comparison.

Also, what GN'R did for Rock Band, which I'm assuming you mean either submitting "Shackler's Revenge" for inclusion prior to the release of CD, or allowing the whole album to be available on Rock Band, is also not at all the same thing as Slash's role in GH.  Another poor comparison, apples and oranges if you will.

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »

Many of D's points were really bad comparisons.

Comparing a guy acting in a commercial isn't the same as having a song in a commercial that then was never aired on TV.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »

Many of D's points were really bad comparisons.

Comparing a guy acting in a commercial isn't the same as having a song in a commercial that then was never aired on TV.

/jarmo

I can concede that point and really the Guitar Hero/Rockband thing shouldn't count either way due to it being music based.

U can say slash was a character in the game which isn't the same as just having music in the game but back to my point about the state of today's music business. I don't hold it against artist like i use to. in the 90's early 2000's i hated anything like that.. Today.. its ok. If Axl wanted to do a commercial tomorrow, I would support it 100 percent cause today u gotta do what u gotta do.

Plenty of worse decision makers in music history. Im sure we could come up with a hell of a list if we really tried. Vince Neil driving drunk and killing Razzle, Melvins drummer choosing them over Nirvana, Kurt Cobain would have to be at the top of that list as well as many other musicians who died young.

Slash made plenty of great decisions: joining GNR in the first place, adding the top hat which led to his signature look,  the music and solos he added to the band, quitting heroin and drinking etc

sure he has made some terrible ones.. Trying out for Poison..... EEK

but show me someone who hasn't?

Last point I'll make on the breakup

Slash left to try and gain more control/power of the band.. he thought He'd leave, GNR would crumble, Axl would beg  him back and give him what he wanted.. Didn't happen

Axl may have thought Slash would leave, fall on his face and come begging back.... Maybe has came close to happening *goin to Axl's house etc* but it hasn't completely happened.

now its been so long, both are stubborn and neither will give in.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:20:31 PM by D » Logged

m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2011, 02:02:05 PM »

I can concede that point and really the Guitar Hero/Rockband thing shouldn't count either way due to it being music based.

U can say slash was a character in the game which isn't the same as just having music in the game but back to my point about the state of today's music business. I don't hold it against artist like i use to. in the 90's early 2000's i hated anything like that.. Today.. its ok. If Axl wanted to do a commercial tomorrow, I would support it 100 percent cause today u gotta do what u gotta do.

Plenty of worse decision makers in music history. Im sure we could come up with a hell of a list if we really tried. Vince Neil driving drunk and killing Razzle, Melvins drummer choosing them over Nirvana, Kurt Cobain would have to be at the top of that list as well as many other musicians who died young.

Slash made plenty of great decisions: joining GNR in the first place, adding the top hat which led to his signature look,  the music and solos he added to the band, quitting heroin and drinking etc

sure he has made some terrible ones.. Trying out for Poison..... EEK

but show me someone who hasn't?

Last point I'll make on the breakup

Slash left to try and gain more control/power of the band.. he thought He'd leave, GNR would crumble, Axl would beg  him back and give him what he wanted.. Didn't happen

Axl may have thought Slash would leave, fall on his face and come begging back.... Maybe has came close to happening *goin to Axl's house etc* but it hasn't completely happened.

now its been so long, both are stubborn and neither will give in.

ive read this power/control explanation many times now - where the hell has it come from? Is it just assumptions? until we hear axl's full story i don't think you can state what 'happened' or not. We've only got Slash's side from his book and a couple of axl quotes.

either way D i think your analogies point 10 have some shit to say for it. its interesting how what is essentially the same thing is twisted by fans of either side.

jarmo, the difference you pointed out is irrelevant. "comparing a guy acting in a commercial isn't the same as having a song in a commercial that then was never aired on TV."

The problem with Slash being in a commercial isn't that he acted in it, and that it actually aired. The criticism is that he was willing to 'sell-out' his music and image. That same criticism could be made of axl for licensing the advertisment, even if that was all he did.the analogy stands.

But if you ask me there's no problem with either. the whole notion of 'selling out' is a load of shit. to call slash the worst decision maker is retarded. hes 45, still relevant and rich as f*k.

the worst decision maker is like kurt cobain or something. or that dude that decided to wake ozzy by flying near his tour bus = the end of randy rhoads.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2011, 03:57:28 PM »

jarmo, the difference you pointed out is irrelevant. "comparing a guy acting in a commercial isn't the same as having a song in a commercial that then was never aired on TV."

The problem with Slash being in a commercial isn't that he acted in it, and that it actually aired. The criticism is that he was willing to 'sell-out' his music and image. That same criticism could be made of axl for licensing the advertisment, even if that was all he did.the analogy stands.

In that case, there's only black or white, no colors in between.

If that's the case, anybody who makes one public appearance is as much an attention whore as the ones who appear at any kind of event that gets them publicity. No matter how lame and irrelevant it is.

I just don't agree with that...

There are more examples. Like, appearing on TV. It's not all the same. Appearing on a talk show with your band playing your new single isn't the same as appearing on a cooking show.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2011, 05:13:13 AM »

Yeah, the Super Bowl performance was nauseating.  Not because of Slash's performance at all, but more Fergie's and the fact that he was up there in a bedazzled top hat playing a GN'R classic with the Black Eyed Peas.  But, it was probably a good decision business-wise.  It just could have been executed a little better.  The bedazzled top hat made him look like he was trying to fit in with the BEPs rather than just being himself.  It was just unnecessary.  But, Christ, at least the mix could have been better and the singer could have sung the song in tune.

But, to this day, I can't understand the AI appearance.  There was no solo album at that time.  VR was on hiatus.  What was he promoting?  It was funny because it happened a few months after Axl called him a "whore for the limelight" and there he was on TV's biggest show promoting no particular tour or record.  My first thought when I saw him on AI was "he's proving Axl right".

Ali

He plugged his solo album on AI.  Sure, it wasn't out at the time but he let the world know he was making one.

As D said, its difficult for a guitar player to remain relevant these days.  Slash doesnt have the Guns n Roses name and he isnt even in an active band at the moment.  Sometimes he probably has to do certain things to keep himself out there.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2011, 04:25:12 PM »

Of course the mighty U2 were just on AI, so it doesn't have quite the terrible stigma it once did. It basically is trying to expose ur self to a new younger audience.

For the record, I have come around to being on axl's side in the breakup thing. I think it was maybe even more of Slash's fault at this moment in time.

that being said, i don't blame Slash for some of the stuff he did after GNR.

ask yourself this, how many other guitar players get asked to do American Idol or do that huge Michael Jackson concert he did back when MJ was alive at the Garden?

Ali
Legend

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »

Ali

He plugged his solo album on AI.  Sure, it wasn't out at the time but he let the world know he was making one.

As D said, its difficult for a guitar player to remain relevant these days.  Slash doesnt have the Guns n Roses name and he isnt even in an active band at the moment.  Sometimes he probably has to do certain things to keep himself out there.

I'm sorry, but that is a desperate reach. He wasn't on AI to promote his at the time non-existent record. His record didn't come out for a year after his AI appearance.

He only served to prove Axl right with the AI appearance. That was just about keepin his name and brand in the limelight and public consciousness.

Ali
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2011, 07:21:10 PM »

Ali

I'm sorry, but that is a desperate reach. He wasn't on AI to promote his at the time non-existent record. His record didn't come out for a year after his AI appearance.

He only served to prove Axl right with the AI appearance. That was just about keepin his name and brand in the limelight and public consciousness.

Ali

How do you know all of this? Not that there was anything wrong with Slash doing it to keep his "name and brand in the limelight". But did he speak to you about the appearance personally?
Ali
Legend

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »

I know this because you cannot promote a record that doesn't come out for a year. The record didn't exist, and wasn't close to existing at that point. It's called common-sense.

I suspect his appearance was about nothing more than keeping his name in the public consciousness. Whatever else it could be, he wasn't there on behalf of a non-existent (at that point) solo record.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »

I still think he was on there to recruit/scout Adam Lambert.

sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »

I know this because you cannot promote a record that doesn't come out for a year. The record didn't exist, and wasn't close to existing at that point. It's called common-sense.

I suspect his appearance was about nothing more than keeping his name in the public consciousness. Whatever else it could be, he wasn't there on behalf of a non-existent (at that point) solo record.

Ali

Slash was already working on the record at that point and was talking to fans daily about it and other subjects on twitter.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »

That's more believable than the notion he was there to promote a record that was a year from coming out.

Slash was already working on the record at that point and was talking to fans daily about it and other subjects on twitter.

Yeah, and I'll say it again:  The record didn't come out for a YEAR after the AI appearance.  It had no tracklisting, no release date, no final mix.  The record didn't exist and didn't come out for a year afterwards.  You can't promote a non-existent product.

Ali
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:48:01 PM by Ali » Logged
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »

I don't think you have to over-analyze it to be honest...

Some people agree with this topic issue, simply because of the strange stuff Slash has done post GN'R. like re-recording Paradice City with Fergie and Cypress Hill, like associating himself with stupid sponsership deals to get himself noticed (Voltswagon). Like playing with anyone and everyone, for instance Ellen to that supermarket staff band.  hihi

Some people just think the way they do about Slash, because of all of those factors.

Simple as, it's nothing in depth or some sort of hate campaign.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:58:14 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »

That's more believable than the notion he was there to promote a record that was a year from coming out.

Yeah, and I'll say it again:  The record didn't come out for a YEAR after the AI appearance.  It had no tracklisting, no release date, no final mix.  The record didn't exist and didn't come out for a year afterwards.  You can't promote a non-existent product.

Ali

The fact of the matter is that he did. He had the solo mentioned. He said he was working on it. Someone should have told Slash that he could not promote something before it existed.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »

Ali

The fact of the matter is that he did. He had the solo mentioned. He said he was working on it. Someone should have told Slash that he could not promote something before it existed.

If that was Slash's excuse for going on AI - if that's what he said publicly and/or privately - it's a pretty transparent excuse.  No way an appearance that merely mentions a non-existent product will be an effective promotional tool when the product finally comes into existence a YEAR later.  People will have long since forgotten the appearance by the time the product finally came out.

I'll grant him that the Super Bowl appearance could be used to promote solo record sales and tour dates because the Super Bowl appearance came in the middle of the Ozzy tour.  But the appearance on AI?  No way.  Timing is everything.

Ali
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2011, 08:39:17 PM »

Ali

If that was Slash's excuse for going on AI - if that's what he said publicly and/or privately - it's a pretty transparent excuse.  No way an appearance that merely mentions a non-existent product will be an effective promotional tool when the product finally comes into existence a YEAR later.  People will have long since forgotten the appearance by the time the product finally came out.

I'll grant him that the Super Bowl appearance could be used to promote solo record sales and tour dates because the Super Bowl appearance came in the middle of the Ozzy tour.  But the appearance on AI?  No way.  Timing is everything.

Ali

Slash did not need an excuse for his appearance on AI. I am simply telling you that he did promote his solo at the time he was on the show. It is my understanding that he appeared during the SB because he felt honored to be asked.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2011, 09:01:16 PM »

Really? You seem to be making one for him saying he was there to promote his non-existent solo record. It's an excuse, not a valid reason for exactly why I've already stated - no product=nothing to promote.

Ali

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: