Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 01:46:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228069 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Is Slash the Worst Decision Maker in Rock History?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Slash the Worst Decision Maker in Rock History?  (Read 31138 times)
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »

I really do not think it is a serious as you think. I mean even Slash thought it was funny after all.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »

I really do not think it is a serious as you think. I mean even Slash thought it was funny after all.

i never said it was serious, it was a light hearted jab at him, I don't think it was that serious at all.   It's the fact that Slash's was on their radar that is the problem  It shows that people are noticing his shitty collaborations, and South Park did kind of make it look pathetic what with him playing the mall and birthday parties.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »

its all a moot point anyway. if AI ask Slash to appear on such and such episode... He can't exactly be picky or selective and say, NAH invite me back next year.

Music business is a shitty dirty game.. U gotta do some shit u don't want but is necessary

remember on Some Kind of Monster when they had Metallica reading that terrible Radio ad and said if they didn't do it, radio would fuck them over on their album? thats Metallica.

apples and oranges once again.  Metallica had to "play the game" to get their record played.  Their art was not being compromised.  "Death Magnetic" is a great record, and did not hurt their credibility.  You didn't see James Hetfield on stage with Fergie or T-Pain for Christs sake!!!  You will never see that.  You can critique their albums anyway you want, but they will never be caught dead in some cheesy super bowl spot.  You don't have to do these lame publicity stunts  to sell records.  Metallica sells more records than EVERYONE, and have for the last 20 years.  "Death Magnetic" sold half a million in a 2 day sales week in 2008 (it came out on a friday) and debuted at the top of the Billboard Charts and stayed there for a month.

ONce again Bodhi u come off like u know very little about "BRANDING"

Metallica sell out stadiums cause they are a HUGE BRAND

Take Bret Michaels for example. When he plays with Poison they still sell out 10 thousand seat arenas. When He goes out with Bret Micheals band, he plays 1000 seat clubs or bars.

Its about the BRAND

Slash doesn't have Guns  N Roses brand anymore. Axl kept the GNR name cause its his but also cause its a huge name BRAND.

In GNR Slash was super famous.. On his own just as Slash, he has to now build a whole new separate brand. Same reason Steven Tyler is doing American Idol and working on "Brand Tyler" Aerosmith he is a megastar cause of the brand aerosmith. if he goes out as just "Steven Tyler" he wouldn't get anywhere the crowd or response

Shit look at Eddie Vedder. does his solo stuff do remotely close to Pearl Jam? Of course not.

BRAND

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »

its all a moot point anyway. if AI ask Slash to appear on such and such episode... He can't exactly be picky or selective and say, NAH invite me back next year.

Music business is a shitty dirty game.. U gotta do some shit u don't want but is necessary

remember on Some Kind of Monster when they had Metallica reading that terrible Radio ad and said if they didn't do it, radio would fuck them over on their album? thats Metallica.

apples and oranges once again.  Metallica had to "play the game" to get their record played.  Their art was not being compromised.  "Death Magnetic" is a great record, and did not hurt their credibility.  You didn't see James Hetfield on stage with Fergie or T-Pain for Christs sake!!!  You will never see that.  You can critique their albums anyway you want, but they will never be caught dead in some cheesy super bowl spot.  You don't have to do these lame publicity stunts  to sell records.  Metallica sells more records than EVERYONE, and have for the last 20 years.  "Death Magnetic" sold half a million in a 2 day sales week in 2008 (it came out on a friday) and debuted at the top of the Billboard Charts and stayed there for a month.

ONce again Bodhi u come off like u know very little about "BRANDING"

Metallica sell out stadiums cause they are a HUGE BRAND

Take Bret Michaels for example. When he plays with Poison they still sell out 10 thousand seat arenas. When He goes out with Bret Micheals band, he plays 1000 seat clubs or bars.

Its about the BRAND

Slash doesn't have Guns  N Roses brand anymore. Axl kept the GNR name cause its his but also cause its a huge name BRAND.

In GNR Slash was super famous.. On his own just as Slash, he has to now build a whole new separate brand. Same reason Steven Tyler is doing American Idol and working on "Brand Tyler" Aerosmith he is a megastar cause of the brand aerosmith. if he goes out as just "Steven Tyler" he wouldn't get anywhere the crowd or response

Shit look at Eddie Vedder. does his solo stuff do remotely close to Pearl Jam? Of course not.

BRAND

what does branding have to do with playing with Jamie Foxx and T-Pain, or The Black Eyed Peas?  Why can't he BRAND himself with some respectable artists?  I love how you keep using the branding bullshit, Slash does not have to brand himself, he is synonymous with the Guns N Roses name, forever.  Everyone on this earth who follows rock music and a lot of people who dont, KNOW who Slash is, you keep acting like he is this dude who has to get his name out there.  Why can't you just acknowledge that he is disrespecting himself and his fan base the last few years.  I started this thread because I am a fan of Slash, I am not a hater, I just wish he would stop making a fool out of himself.

You are also the one who brought Metallica into the discussion, however when I make a counterpoint involving them all of the sudden they are not relevant to the discussion anymore.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:47:59 PM by Bodhi » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2011, 10:23:24 PM »

He is trying to get exposed to a younger audience who may buy his solo album that was coming out.

If u read the entire post, u would see that some of the biggest frontmen/bands in the world aren't so big without the BRAND NAME.

Does Eddie Vedder sell out stadiums when he does solo tours?

U are the type of fan that drives me nuts..

same hypocritical bullshit on this forum

with Axl, when we moan,bitch,complain about lack of updates,communication, singles,videos, tours etc... what is always said? Axl doesn't owe u anything, he does stuff on his terms how he wants etc etc etc

with Slash though, its the same thing.. If he wants to play with Lady Gaga or Katy Perry... i don't give a shit. I don't necessarily like it, but he has earned the right to do whatever he wants. he shouldn't disappear and do nothing just to fulfill some nerd fantasy legacy people want to place on him. he is who he is, i accept that just as i accept Axl for the way he chooses to conduct his business. its their life, their careers. let them do what they want with them

Slash has done great things but U choose to focus on the few bad things. Having Legends like Ozzy,Cornell,Iggy Pop,Ian,  currents stars like M Shadows,Dave Grohl,Kid Rock is a cool as fuck awesome thing that shows how respected he is by his peers.

He has nothing to apologize for.

Slash could go on tour with Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and the little chick who had that song "Friday" still doesn't change the fact that he wrote some of the greatest riffs,solos and songs of all time. his legacy is untouchable.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:25:18 PM by D » Logged

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2011, 11:25:44 PM »

Really? You seem to be making one for him saying he was there to promote his non-existent solo record. It's an excuse, not a valid reason for exactly why I've already stated - no product=nothing to promote.

Ali

I made no excuse I stated a fact. He promoted his solo on AI!

He was promoting a product that at the time didn't exist?   Roll Eyes  If you say so.  I'm sure that promotional appearance was fresh in consumers' minds a year later when the record actually came out  ok

Ali

It was fresh in my mind!

In mine too, bit NOT because of the AI appearance. It was because of the great choice for the lead single, mainly, as well as some of the press he was doing.

Ali
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2011, 10:28:40 AM »

He is trying to get exposed to a younger audience who may buy his solo album that was coming out.

If u read the entire post, u would see that some of the biggest frontmen/bands in the world aren't so big without the BRAND NAME.

Does Eddie Vedder sell out stadiums when he does solo tours?

U are the type of fan that drives me nuts..

same hypocritical bullshit on this forum

with Axl, when we moan,bitch,complain about lack of updates,communication, singles,videos, tours etc... what is always said? Axl doesn't owe u anything, he does stuff on his terms how he wants etc etc etc

with Slash though, its the same thing.. If he wants to play with Lady Gaga or Katy Perry... i don't give a shit. I don't necessarily like it, but he has earned the right to do whatever he wants. he shouldn't disappear and do nothing just to fulfill some nerd fantasy legacy people want to place on him. he is who he is, i accept that just as i accept Axl for the way he chooses to conduct his business. its their life, their careers. let them do what they want with them

Slash has done great things but U choose to focus on the few bad things. Having Legends like Ozzy,Cornell,Iggy Pop,Ian,  currents stars like M Shadows,Dave Grohl,Kid Rock is a cool as fuck awesome thing that shows how respected he is by his peers.

He has nothing to apologize for.

Slash could go on tour with Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and the little chick who had that song "Friday" still doesn't change the fact that he wrote some of the greatest riffs,solos and songs of all time. his legacy is untouchable.

If he wants to expose himself to a younger audience, why is he choosing shit artists to do that with?  You are not getting it man.  Sebastian Bach has been branding himself a lot lately, but is he doing lame shit with Fergie?? No.  He has been performing with Asking Alexandria, a huge up and coming young metalcore/hard rock band.  It makes sense, because they are a heavy band and when he performs "Youth Gone Wild" with them its fucking GOOD, it doesnt sound like contrived crossover bullshit.  It made sense for Slash to perform with Avenged Sevenfold, they are a young band with a heavy GNR influence who is way more successful than he is right now, so he reaches a lot of fans who might be interested in his music,  that is good branding in my opinion.  It makes no sense to appear with T-Pain if he wants to get his music out there, his fans will never buy a Slash album.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2011, 10:42:48 AM »

I guess it's difficult for some to see the difference in promoting your product (the album, the tour, the book, the top hats) and promoting yourself.

A lot of artists go on TV to promote their products. It's what people "expect" of them. Late night talk shows, in-store appearances, interviews etc.

That's not weird.

But then you have people who have nothing to promote. They're just "famous" for "nothing". They need to keep their name out there. So they have to do something.

Slash seems to be a mix of both these worlds.

When he has nothing to promote, he'll go out to promote himself.

And then some of the stuff he does seems like it might be promoting a product, but it makes some people wonder....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »

but at least fans have a chance to see/hear him frequently.....this is smth. important for lots of fans.

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2011, 11:57:10 AM »

Yeah, it's important for some to have something to cling on to at all times.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2011, 08:05:07 PM »

/jarmo

Im not defending everything he does. There are lots of things he does i absolutely shake my head at and i hate. but i try to see or give him the benefit of the doubt as to why he is doing it.

Bodhi, are u really going to use Baz in this argument, the dude who has been on 5 million reality shows? A freaking weight loss show when he is able to run 5 miles? I love Baz but come on.. terrible comparison.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »

/jarmo

Im not defending everything he does. There are lots of things he does i absolutely shake my head at and i hate. but i try to see or give him the benefit of the doubt as to why he is doing it.

Bodhi, are u really going to use Baz in this argument, the dude who has been on 5 million reality shows? A freaking weight loss show when he is able to run 5 miles? I love Baz but come on.. terrible comparison.

but lately I don't see him pissing all over his art, he is playing with and associating himself with respectable metal bands.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2011, 10:18:13 PM »

/jarmo

but lately I don't see him pissing all over his art, he is playing with and associating himself with respectable metal bands.

You might want to have a look at the Sebastian Bach thread...

He just played with Steel Panther, who he openly critisized and called "a joke", a few years ago.

I love Baz, but I don't think you can say he is honourable in always sticking to his word, if we take the above example. And then also add the Poison example as well, where he never had a good word to say about Bret, until he got offered to play with them on a tour...

I actually agree with you sentiments about the Slash issue, but I don't agree with what you said about Baz. I think what Baz has done over the years, can be compared to Slash, but not in the same way. My problem with Slash has always been him using the GN'R essence or brand if you like, to further his own career, while not caring about GN'R still existing and touring, when he chose to leave in the first place.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2011, 11:07:41 PM »

/jarmo

He just played with Steel Panther, who he openly critisized and called "a joke", a few years ago.

yeah but Steel Panther IS a joke, they are a parody band.  It's also no secret that have no respect for Poison whatsoever, but compared to the people that Slash has been playing with, BREAL, Black Eyed Peas, T-Pain, Poison is like the Beatles.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »

Baz and his tv shows....pure integrity, sure  hihi

Bodhi, we got it for some time now that you dont like some of Slash's decisions. but you cant do anything about -except the moaning here-....why not move on?  Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »

plus i think slash may be too nice and non confrontational

It isn't like he seeked some of these people out but when someone calls and asks u to play at the grammys or do this or that.. sometimes its hard to tell people no.

We've all experienced that where someone u really don't wanna talk or hang with invites u out and u are kind of in a hard place.. so u go so u won't come off like an asshole.

same thing here imo.

They call Slash and ask to perform with them at the grammys.. if he says no, he looks like a douche and a complete asshole in their eyes... word gets around etc..

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:16 AM »

If Slash had disappeared after GNR and only came out to do those dreadful collaborations, then I could probably see some posters points about living off the past, or whore for the limelight etc.

In reality though, that's the furthest thing from the truth. He has been very productive since original Guns.
If any of the alumni can be accused of living off of the past, it isn't Slash.
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »

/jarmo

yeah but Steel Panther IS a joke, they are a parody band.  It's also no secret that have no respect for Poison whatsoever, but compared to the people that Slash has been playing with, BREAL, Black Eyed Peas, T-Pain, Poison is like the Beatles.

I'm not going to dis Bach for what he does. He is a professional musician and does what he has to stay relevent and to continue working. Just as other musicians that are discussed on the forums. But to use him in an argument to make a point against Slash is absurd. If that is your best shot you have already lost the war.
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »

Really? You seem to be making one for him saying he was there to promote his non-existent solo record. It's an excuse, not a valid reason for exactly why I've already stated - no product=nothing to promote.

Ali

I made no excuse I stated a fact. He promoted his solo on AI!

He was promoting a product that at the time didn't exist?   Roll Eyes  If you say so.  I'm sure that promotional appearance was fresh in consumers' minds a year later when the record actually came out  ok

Ali

It was fresh in my mind!

In mine too, bit NOT because of the AI appearance. It was because of the great choice for the lead single, mainly, as well as some of the press he was doing.

Ali

Slash announced in February that he and Myles will be doing an album together. He has been promoting it in interviews and on twitter. We already know that it is in pre production, who will be playing on it, how many songs they are working on, and recently was told it will be out in March or April of 2012. If Slash can find a venue to mention this album to 30 million people at one time he will do it. And he would have done it given the chance in March or April of this year.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2011, 10:35:30 AM »

. but you cant do anything about -except the moaning here-....why not move on?  Wink

isnt that one of the points of this board, to bitch and moan about things we can't control?  Have you actually read any posts in the GNR section on this board?  hihi

On a serious note, as long as Slash puts out good music, I look past a lot of things.  My main reason for starting this thread was because of HIM, we will not be getting a hard hitting record with Corey Taylor(a very diverse musician as evident by Slipknot, Stone Sour and other projects) who everyone else in VR is a huge fan of.  No, we will be getting 12-15 tracks similar to the 2 weakest ones on his solo album, right in his comfort zone.  To me that has the potential to be painfully boring, especially compared to what could have been, VR going in a heavier direction, which was the plan for the last 3 years.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: