Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:19:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Mick Jagger Forms New Band 'Super Heavy'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mick Jagger Forms New Band 'Super Heavy'  (Read 2765 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: May 21, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »

Mick forms secret supergroup

May 20, 2011

Stones legend Mick Jagger -- still smarting from a pen-lashing by bandmate Keith Richards -- has set up a new supergroup with Eurythmics star Dave Stewart, Damian Marley, Joss Stone and Indian musician and producer A.R. Rahman.

Jagger, who was sharply and repeatedly needled in Richards' best-selling autobiography, "Life," has been secretly recording with Stewart, Bob Marley's youngest son, jazz-influenced Stone and Grammy-winning Rahman, dubbed "The Mozart of Madras," who won two Oscars for "Slumdog Millionaire."

A source said, "They just finished a record and their first video and are talking to major labels about a deal. The name for the band at the moment is Super Heavy." Another source said, "Each member has a very distinct and different style, but it works. Mick has been recording with Dave for a while, and both worked with Joss in the past."

But a rep for Jagger told us, "They all thought it would be interesting and great fun to go into the studio and play some music. No video has been shot, no label in place. All a bit premature."

But if the band is a hit, it could further divert Jagger's attention from a speculated-about new Stones tour -- especially since there's currently no love lost between him and Richards, whose 2010 book was particularly withering about Jagger's solo career.

Of Jagger's first effort sans the Stones, 1985's "She's the Boss," Richards wrote, "I've never listened to [it] the whole way through. Who has? It's like 'Mein Kampf.' Everybody had a copy, but nobody listened to it."

Jagger's subsequent solo effort " 'Goddess in the Doorway' . . . was irresistible to rechristen 'Dog [Bleep] in the Doorway' . . . [Mick] says I have bad manners on the subject. But this record deal of Mick's was bad manners beyond any verbal jibes." Richards also wrote that Jagger, whom he nicknamed "Your Majesty," is packing "a tiny todger."

"Sometimes I think, 'I miss my friend,' " wrote Richards. "Where did he go?" Into the studio with someone else, it appears.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/mick_forms_secret_supergroup_4QQss9y0ePUJ4bnbXV2sCJ

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:29:36 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:59:16 AM »

What an odd mix of musicians... don't really know what to expect.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »

^^ From Mick Jagger:

Mick Jagger has confirmed that he's formed a new group called Super Heavy.

Speaking to NME, The Rolling Stones frontman revealed he has been rehearsing in Los Angeles with a star-studded line-up, which includes Eurythmics' Dave Stewart, Joss Stone and Damian Marley.

Discussing the formation of the new band, Jagger said: "The four of us got together and thought we'd go into a studio and throw some things around, see what would happen, if we'd have fun.

"We didn't know what kind of music we'd make. We knew it would be a laugh, because we all got on. But you can have a laugh and nothing comes out, y'know."

"We've got some more reggae songs, some rock, some ballads, some soul music" Jagger continued.

"We've got one song in Urdu, I managed to do one line in Urdu, only one! It's not world music per se, a Womad festival kind of thing. It's a much more accessible style, a lot of dancey things."

Speaking about the songwriting process, he said "We'd all leap in with our ideas, getting excited about one another. We're four vocalists, we've never worked like that before. It's great because the whole burden's not on you, and that made it fun. There are a lot of different musical styles, maybe even some we've invented."

Referring to his day job, Jagger revealed: "If you're a Rolling Stones fan there's definitely stuff you can relate to. Other stuff that you can't relate to so much, maybe if you listen you'll enjoy it. I don't think it's so far off the beaten track that you can't understand it."

Continue here: http://www.nme.com/news/the-rolling-stones/56800

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »

sounds cool but what a terrible name.... Super heavy? really?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »

What is it with supergroups and bad names? Super Heavy? Audioslave? Velvet Revolver?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »

Not the best name for sure but then again it's not Savage Animal either...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »

First taste of SuperHeavy.

SuperHeavy - an introduction to......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3fkbMvUNJY

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »

SuperHeavy - In The Studio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu_MhgIFDGM

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 05:46:16 PM »

first single

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6r1FNnBGw4&NR=1

not that bad...Mick sings really great on it.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 05:58:29 AM »

If you haven't heard about this already, SuperHeavy are a new supergroup featuring Mick Jagger, Joss Stone, Dave Stewart from the Eurythmics, Ziggy Marley and A.R. Rahman, who did that 'Jai Ho' song from Slumdog Millionnaire that was later destroyed by the Pussycat Dolls. They've got an album coming out on September 20th and have so far released two tracks. I can only find one of them, though, called 'Miracle Worker'. Despite everyone in the band coming from completely different backgrounds musically, it really works. They're all noticably keeping to their own style, but it still manages to sound like a song, instead of just a bunch of people playing together. You can hear it here...

http://open.spotify.com/album/549BtFeNd9BxLEpGf01SSo

It might not be everyone here's thing, but I'm looking forward to hearing more.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 04:18:38 AM »

Just listened to the album. First impression: A few good songs, but not really a superheavy record  hihi

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: