Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:07:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  2012 US Presidential Election.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 US Presidential Election.  (Read 82653 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #600 on: November 08, 2012, 12:10:38 AM »

ENTITLEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is why blacks and unions are democrats!  Typically...  And that is okay, its their right to alingn with whatever party they want.  I am not a republican, but a libertarian.  However, my fiscal beliefs align more with the Republicans than Democrats.  I majored in Economics, that is why I beleive what I beleive... Economics of everything determines how I vote in most cases.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #601 on: November 08, 2012, 03:15:59 AM »

Here's a good question- why is there no standardized system for voting? One state uses voting machines, while another uses paper ballots. One state you have to show I.D. so you can prove who you are and are eligible to vote. Others you do not need an I.D. You'd think by now we would have our act together.

Even the UN Observers took note of our system: http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/11/06/foreign_election_officials_amazed_by_trust_based_us_voting_system

"The most often noted difference between American elections among the visitors was that in most U.S. states, voters need no identification. Voters can also vote by mail, sometimes online, and there's often no way to know if one person has voted several times under different names, unlike in some Arab countries, where voters ink their fingers when casting their ballots. "

Voting irregularities and voter fraud happens every election. People bitch and complain for a day or so before and after an election. Then we do nothing about it.

That's a good question and i wish i had the answer.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #602 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »

Repubs will get Latino vote back. Bush had 50 percent in 2,000. Blacks voted for Obama mainly cause he is black. Save the political correctness for somewhere else. No way in hell they would vote for Mitt with Obama there. Also they would have rejected Herman Cain as a real black because the Dems like MSNBC told then he was just a puppet for the white man. Suburban white women voted for Barack for many reasons. Women's rights, he is black, he is cool, he is for poor people. Young people voted for Barack because they are fucking idiots and don't realize there are no jobs for them when they graduate.

White men plus Mexican vote will trump blacks and suburban women. Repubs need to EMBRACE immigration.

So...the African American population voted for Kerry and Gore in similar percentages because they, too, were black?

Getting the Latino vote will mean shifts in policy.  They're a huge growing segment of the electorate. They are not, regularly, voting for a Repub in the national elections. That's just fact.  Now, you could argue that's a result of the Repubs tougher and tougher stance on immigration..but then you'd be making my point for me. I think there's a few more policy issues also lending themselves to the Dems dominance...but one or many, the point is the same.

And have you seen any indication that the Repubs are moving off their immigration platform?

Bush carried Latinos in '04, but lost them by a wide margin in '00.  Repubs also lost them in 1996 by 50 points, in 1992 by almost 40 points, in 1988 by 40 points, in 1984 by close to 30 points, in 1980 by 20 points, and in 1976 by 60 points.  In essence, the Repubs have won amongst Latinos in 1  presidential election since I was born.   At this point, the data would suggest 2000 is the exception, not the rule.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:10:13 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #603 on: November 08, 2012, 07:07:19 AM »

Here's a good question- why is there no standardized system for voting? One state uses voting machines, while another uses paper ballots. One state you have to show I.D. so you can prove who you are and are eligible to vote. Others you do not need an I.D. You'd think by now we would have our act together.

For the same exact reasons we have electoral college.  The fed can't dictate to the states how they are going to run their elections....and the states are not likely to get every state legislature to agree to the same process.  As long as we remain a democratic republic...we'll likely have disparate voting procedures.

Even the UN Observers took note of our system: http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/11/06/foreign_election_officials_amazed_by_trust_based_us_voting_system

"The most often noted difference between American elections among the visitors was that in most U.S. states, voters need no identification. Voters can also vote by mail, sometimes online, and there's often no way to know if one person has voted several times under different names, unlike in some Arab countries, where voters ink their fingers when casting their ballots. "

Voting irregularities and voter fraud happens every election. People bitch and complain for a day or so before and after an election. Then we do nothing about it.

Irregularites?  Sure.  Mostly based off of purging voter rolls, long lines, confusing ballots, polling place issues, etc.

But there have been exactly 8 cases of actual "voter fraud" (as in, impersonation..the only kind of voter fraud ID checks on voting day would alleviate) documented since 1980.  There have been many other instances of what is legally defined as voter fraud (ie: people who are not registered casting a ballot), but most turn out to be clerical errors, voter purge without notification, or simple voter confusion.

There's lots of voter disenfranchisement/intimidation going on.  That's certainly true.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:12:34 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #604 on: November 08, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »

For the same exact reasons we have electoral college.  The fed can't dictate to the states how they are going to run their elections....and the states are not likely to get every state legislature to agree to the same process.  As long as we remain a democratic republic...we'll likely have disparate voting procedures.

Irregularites?  Sure.  Mostly based off of purging voter rolls, long lines, confusing ballots, polling place issues, etc.

But there have been exactly 8 cases of actual "voter fraud" (as in, impersonation..the only kind of voter fraud ID checks on voting day would alleviate) documented since 1980.  There have been many other instances of what is legally defined as voter fraud (ie: people who are not registered casting a ballot), but most turn out to be clerical errors, voter purge without notification, or simple voter confusion.

There's lots of voter disenfranchisement/intimidation going on.  That's certainly true.

Exactly why we need to reform the system.  We need the same ballot format for all 50 states and I.D.'s to determine who is legally eligible to vote.

Every 4 years this comes up and after the election no one wants to do anything about it. Then we have another election and it happens again.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #605 on: November 08, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »

And for the record i highly dislike the electronic ballots. I much prefer paper. Being someone who knows a decent amount about computers i know how easily those things could be hacked or messed with. There were reports in a few states Florida being one that the electronic ballots were changing votes for Obama to Romney.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #606 on: November 08, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »

Touch screens are far from foolproof. I have my own business where sometimes I deal with touchscreens on treadmills and very often the touchscreens lose their sensitivity or they have calibration issues.

You can't screw up filling in an oval with a marker on a paper ballot next to your candidate!

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #607 on: November 08, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »

Touch screens are far from foolproof. I have my own business where sometimes I deal with touchscreens on treadmills and very often the touchscreens lose their sensitivity or they have calibration issues.

You can't screw up filling in an oval with a marker on a paper ballot next to your candidate!

Exactly, don't get me wrong i'm a technology geek but something as important like this i think its best to keep using paper ballots.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #608 on: November 09, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »

Talked to my 79 year old mother even she felt compelled to go up and vote Akins out of office.  hihi

I like the paper ballot.  If the privacy booths are filled, you can lean up against the wall.  I went before work.  The parking lot was full but I walked in, did my thing and was out of there in 10 minutes.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
cineater
Legend

« Reply #609 on: November 09, 2012, 08:26:15 AM »

I should add she's been a long time supporter of birth control and abortions.  I'm pretty sure if back in the day, those things had been available my siblings and I wouldn't have been here.  She's counting on me to take care of her in her old age.  My other 3 siblings, I'm not so sure if she's not thinking she could have did without them.  hihi  How do you like us now mom?

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #610 on: November 09, 2012, 09:00:35 AM »

Exactly why we need to reform the system.  We need the same ballot format for all 50 states and I.D.'s to determine who is legally eligible to vote.

Every 4 years this comes up and after the election no one wants to do anything about it. Then we have another election and it happens again.

I don't disagree.

But you'd need an amendment to the Constitution in order to give the Fed the right to oversee the election process.

And I'm not sure you'd get enough states to ratify it.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #611 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »

Exactly, don't get me wrong i'm a technology geek but something as important like this i think its best to keep using paper ballots.

First...to the senator...you'd be surprised how many have issue filling in a bubble.  I see it ALL THE TIME.  Now, maybe with something like voting, they'd be a little more careful.  But I can tell you..when providing important information for their health care (and not just demos).....we still see errors all the time.

Second...no method is fool proof.  I agree: The electronic voting booths are not the answer, either.  I really liked the old booths...flip a bunch of black levers and pull a handle when you're done (which actually punched the paper ballot).  OCR tech would still work on that type of ballot.

But even then: You have machine malfunctions, chad issues, etc.

Paper you have people who can't fill in bubbles.

Electronic..the machines, themselves, are suspect and the touch screens can be flaky/fail.

I can't think of a way to make anything completely fool proof AND tamper proof.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #612 on: November 09, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »

First...to the senator...you'd be surprised how many have issue filling in a bubble.  I see it ALL THE TIME.  Now, maybe with something like voting, they'd be a little more careful.  But I can tell you..when providing important information for their health care (and not just demos).....we still see errors all the time.

Second...no method is fool proof.  I agree: The electronic voting booths are not the answer, either.  I really liked the old booths...flip a bunch of black levers and pull a handle when you're done (which actually punched the paper ballot).  OCR tech would still work on that type of ballot.

But even then: You have machine malfunctions, chad issues, etc.

Paper you have people who can't fill in bubbles.

Electronic..the machines, themselves, are suspect and the touch screens can be flaky/fail.

I can't think of a way to make anything completely fool proof AND tamper proof.

Obviously there is never gonna be fool proof way. I still will take paper over electronic. The security on any computerized system can be compromised with enough work. I don't know about other states but where i went didn't have touchscreens. What i had was an lcd screen but mine had a select dial with previous and next buttons. Then when you were done you pushed submit ballot.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #613 on: November 12, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »

Seriously, I do not care about this man and his affair!

So what do you think on the Indiana blast?  Meth lab or suicide/homicide?

WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #614 on: November 12, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »

I don't think it's the fact that he had an affair, the concern is whether he compromised national security because of this extra marital relationship.  Who knows what he might have told her. 

As for the explosion, I think your meth lab guess is pretty solid. 
cineater
Legend

« Reply #615 on: November 12, 2012, 11:47:46 PM »

The general's woman seems to have more on the ball than Clinton's Monica but I don't think this is about spying.  Now they are talking about why the president wasn't informed he was under investigation which is more our business than his wife is reportedly furious and the story on why men of power cheat.  hihi  I don't know what happen to the news but my inquiring mind is turning to mush watching this stuff.

The neighbors are saying furnace explosion.  The whole house must have been filled with gas for it to be that big. 

WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #616 on: November 13, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »

Wow, anyone see pictures of Mrs. Petraeus?  Woof, can't say I blame Mr. Petaeus for being tempted to look elsewhere.  This clip immediately came to mind when I saw her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi3GA0nbCtQ
cineater
Legend

« Reply #617 on: November 14, 2012, 12:23:21 AM »

lol--I was not going to say it.  Look none of these folks bring sex to mind, actually just the opposite.  We need a new rule here, if you're going to be involved in a sex scandal, you have to be somebody at least half of us could see doing it with.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #618 on: November 14, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »

General Petraeus - proving  older men with comb-overs can still get something on the side.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
cineater
Legend

« Reply #619 on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »

Trump is good for that too.  hihi

Did you see the turkey attacking the car?  That's one pissed off turkey.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: