Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:09:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227826 Posts in 43249 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1564689 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »

I don't care what era they come from, newly released songs are just that...NEW songs.  Regardless of who helped write them or played on them originally or what recording session they came from.  I am looking forward to approximately the next 10-15 songs that will make up the next Guns N Roses record. I don't care if they were written in 2012 or 1997.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »

I think thats what makes the white album great though. Can we stop pissing on the guy because he has HIS opinion on the NaNaNas? Hes entitled to his opinion. I just hope they all go in as a band and start from scratch. Theyve got this talented band. Let them create some magic in the studio from scratch. I dont want to see them go in and rerecord old songs that have been collecting dust somewhere. You have access to some talented musicians. Get the most out of them and come out with a kick ass album. Not overdubs on former members parts.

Why not use tracks that weren't used for Chinese Democracy (remember Axl said he felt like the album was a double in the 2008 online chats), and songs newly recorded by the present lineup? I agree that the potential/talent of this lineup should be captured on compact disc, but why lose some killer stuff surely yet to be heard from Robin, Buckethead, Brain, or Paul in the process?

Because they are no longer in the band. Axl's got a kick ass band right now. Lets see what they can come up with. As a musician I hate to see people rerecord or overdub other peoples parts. I feel like the longer music sits around the more you go in and find errors and try to tweak the sound. You should trust your intitial gut and record the tracks and release them. Let them release the other material separately as a rarity album or something.

Robin, Paul, Buckethead, and Brain were no longer in the band when Chinese Democracy was released, nor was Steven Adler when Use Your Illusion was released (and yet he's still on Civil War), so what's the difference? Weren't songs from Use Your Illusion such as Don't Cry and You Could Be Mine songs that had been in the vault for years?

I don't care what era they come from, newly released songs are just that...NEW songs.  Regardless of who helped write them or played on them originally or what recording session they came from.  I am looking forward to approximately the next 10-15 songs that will make up the next Guns N Roses record. I don't care if they were written in 2012 or 1997.

I concur.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2012, 12:32:38 PM »

When a song was written is one thing. When it was recorded is another. When it was tweaked and enriched is yet a different matter. What I mean is that it's not the same thing to record a song you wrote 10 or 15 previously and spend 10 or 15 years constantly honing the same recording.

The fact that a song has been played live before being released is another issue altogether.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »

I think thats what makes the white album great though. Can we stop pissing on the guy because he has HIS opinion on the NaNaNas? Hes entitled to his opinion. I just hope they all go in as a band and start from scratch. Theyve got this talented band. Let them create some magic in the studio from scratch. I dont want to see them go in and rerecord old songs that have been collecting dust somewhere. You have access to some talented musicians. Get the most out of them and come out with a kick ass album. Not overdubs on former members parts.

Why not use tracks that weren't used for Chinese Democracy (remember Axl said he felt like the album was a double in the 2008 online chats), and songs newly recorded by the present lineup? I agree that the potential/talent of this lineup should be captured on compact disc, but why lose some killer stuff surely yet to be heard from Robin, Buckethead, Brain, or Paul in the process?

Because they are no longer in the band. Axl's got a kick ass band right now. Lets see what they can come up with. As a musician I hate to see people rerecord or overdub other peoples parts. I feel like the longer music sits around the more you go in and find errors and try to tweak the sound. You should trust your intitial gut and record the tracks and release them. Let them release the other material separately as a rarity album or something.

Robin, Paul, Buckethead, and Brain were no longer in the band when Chinese Democracy was released, nor was Steven Adler when Use Your Illusion was released (and yet he's still on Civil War), so what's the difference? Weren't songs from Use Your Illusion such as Don't Cry and You Could Be Mine songs that had been in the vault for years?

I concur.

Your missing my point. I think the old material should be released. But release it seperately. The current version of the band should go in and start from scratch on new material. Not rerecord parts that other people wrote as was done on CD. Im sure the current members want to express there creative chops on record and not just play over guitar parts written by old members.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »

I don't think it fair or right to criticise the "Nah Nah Nah" elements of some songs

Why is it unfair and not right to criticize? It's a legitimate opinion. I'm sorry it doesn't fall in line with everyone else. I don't like said parts. I don't like that part of the song and have given my reasons why.

Like I said, it's amazing how easily some of you are offended by a simple observation and criticism. If your not worshiping and drinking the Kool-aid of everything GN'R, somehow that person's diet is malnourished.

It's the silliest complaint ever.

/jarmo

I think the complaint is legitimate. It's part of a song(s) I don't care for and a hope that it doesn't appear on the next album. If it doesn't good, if it does, so be it. It's not my album. I understand that.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »

I don't think it fair or right to criticise the "Nah Nah Nah" elements of some songs

Why is it unfair and not right to criticize? It's a legitimate opinion. I'm sorry it doesn't fall in line with everyone else. I don't like said parts. I don't like that part of the song and have given my reasons why.

Like I said, it's amazing how easily some of you are offended by a simple observation and criticism. If your not worshiping and drinking the Kool-aid of everything GN'R, somehow that person's diet is malnourished.

/jarmo

I think the complaint is legitimate. It's part of a song(s) I don't care for and a hope that it doesn't appear on the next album. If it doesn't good, if it does, so be it. It's not my album. I understand that.

I'll back you, you have an opinion on parts of some songs you don't like. You're entitled to that opinion. And to say you should like it because the Beatles did a similar thing? That's silly. Maybe you didn't like it when the Beatles did it either.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »

I'll back you, you have an opinion on parts of some songs you don't like. You're entitled to that opinion. And to say you should like it because the Beatles did a similar thing? That's silly. Maybe you didn't like it when the Beatles did it either.

Thank you.  Smiley

I just wish people wouldn't get so bent out of shape over a simple opinion by someone that doesn't fall inline with the others. I'm not slandering anyone, just detailing my dislike for a certain song or part of a song. It's a legitimate complaint and opinion I have.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »

I concur.

Your missing my point. I think the old material should be released. But release it seperately. The current version of the band should go in and start from scratch on new material. Not rerecord parts that other people wrote as was done on CD. Im sure the current members want to express there creative chops on record and not just play over guitar parts written by old members.

You're acting like Chinese Democracy consisted completely of rerecording other people's parts. If that's the case then why is Paul Tobias on more of the album than Richard? Buckethead had been out of the band for over 4 years, so if rampant rerecording was going on then why is he still all over the album instead of Ron?

My point is that it is entirely possible to strike a balance between the material already recorded and ready to go, and the stuff yet to be recorded by the present lineup. For example, DJ doesn't have to go in and rerecord everything left with Robin on it. Just leave it as it is and let DJ make his own contributions on brand new material. That is, of course, unless Axl/Guns' feel the old, already recorded material can be improved upon by the present lineup. 

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »

I concur.

Why would the band have to rerecord parts?  If Robin or Bucket recorded something that still sounds good leave it in, DJ can add his own thing wherever it is needed, like Bumble did on parts of CD.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »

I concur.

Why would the band have to rerecord parts?  If Robin or Bucket recorded something that still sounds good leave it in, DJ can add his own thing wherever it is needed, like Bumble did on parts of CD.

yeah. just as long as there are still dynamics and not a wall of 20 guitars playing different stuff. too much going on is not something good. a song is not better just because there's loads of good guitarists playing on them. if it was like that. all bands would have like at least 5 guitar players.

that is why a double album is duh winner. that or some kind of download relasey stuff. release the old robin/bucket stuff via downloads. the ones getting most downloaded you're releasing as singles. + you also have a new record out with the current guys.

in a year or so release the 10 most downloaded songs as an album.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »

/jarmo

Granted this won't be categorized as a constructive post, but in my humble opinion, the song Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da suckkssssssss.

Catcher in the Rye is one of the standout tracks for me on CD, but I hear ya. More lyrics would have been cool. Almost feels like it was a placeholder and Axl would get around to writing lyrics down the line, but didn't. Doesn't really bother me, though. Not as much as the "guess I'd have more fun" lyric.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »

/jarmo

Granted this won't be categorized as a constructive post, but in my humble opinion, the song Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da suckkssssssss.

Not my favorite Paul track, but compared to Bungalow Bill or Honey Pie, I think it's still one of the best songs on The White Album, especially the second disc. Regardless, I find it's the rough around the edges nature of that album which partially makes it such a delight.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:51:27 PM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2012, 09:12:57 AM »

I drove a long way by myself to a gig and decided to listen to all of GNR's albums back to back. I hadn't listened to Chinese Democracy in a while and had never really heard all of the albums back to back. As you listen to them you see the growth album by album. But after listening to Chinese Democracy I got the sense that something was lacking. After listening it for a second time I concluded that what's missing is the attitude. Not in the lyrics but the music. The music on the first 4 albums sounded mean and nasty. Thats what drew me to there music in the first place. At the time it didnt sound like anything else out there. The music reflected the swagger and attitude of the band. I mean even the drums in Its so easy sound mean. I feel that that was missing on CD. It sounds Overproduced ( when you have a bunch of different producers working on the album in a 10 year period it will happen). I feel like with a new album the band has to go into the studio and capture that chemistry they have on stage and just release the album quickly. Dont record, let it sit around, tinker with it, fine tune it again and then release it. Trust yourselves. You have a great band. DJ's a good songwriter and seems to have a certain swagger. Take advantage and create something great.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »

I agree to an extent. My big problem with CD is that sometimes less is more. In the case of CITR, it is a little hard to hear Axl with so much other layers of music. The lyrics are great and unfortunately get lost. There are stripped down cover versions on YouTube that make the song sound so much more beautiful then what is on the album. There are more instances of axl's voice and words getting lost in the mix that kind of bother me. The album is a bit overproduced. The next album hopefully will be more stripped down and I agree... More mean.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »

I agree to an extent. My big problem with CD is that sometimes less is more. In the case of CITR, it is a little hard to hear Axl with so much other layers of music. The lyrics are great and unfortunately get lost. There are stripped down cover versions on YouTube that make the song sound so much more beautiful then what is on the album. There are more instances of axl's voice and words getting lost in the mix that kind of bother me. The album is a bit overproduced. The next album hopefully will be more stripped down and I agree... More mean.

I remember hearing the bootleg of TWAT and loved it. The album version loses that rawness. I just feel that when things get overproduced it loses some of its rawness. As a musician I know that your never satisfied with the finished product. Ask any musician and they will all say that they would change a million things off of any of there albums. But you have to trust yourself. If something sounds great the first time you listen to it leave it. Dont overthink things. Thats just my opinion though.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2012, 02:22:03 PM »

Hey, do we have any idea how long it took GNR to record Appetite? That would totally go along with what you are talking about peter7411226. GNR should probably not take longer, then however that took to record, to make the new album. The only exceptions would be if Axl wanted to make a 7.1 version and release it on a Blu Ray. Go all NIN with the technology. But actually recording time... yea however long Appetite took to make.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2012, 03:22:32 PM »

Hey, do we have any idea how long it took GNR to record Appetite? That would totally go along with what you are talking about peter7411226. GNR should probably not take longer, then however that took to record, to make the new album. The only exceptions would be if Axl wanted to make a 7.1 version and release it on a Blu Ray. Go all NIN with the technology. But actually recording time... yea however long Appetite took to make.

I think the actual recording only took about 6 weeks. Two weeks for the basic tracks and then Slash and Axl spent a month recording guitar leads and vocals. That was a pretty standard amount of time for a band in those days, especially one without a huge budget going in. You're dreaming if you think current GNR will cut an album that quick.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »

A lot of time was spent rewinding the tape in those days.  Grin
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

I drove a long way by myself to a gig and decided to listen to all of GNR's albums back to back. I hadn't listened to Chinese Democracy in a while and had never really heard all of the albums back to back. As you listen to them you see the growth album by album. But after listening to Chinese Democracy I got the sense that something was lacking. After listening it for a second time I concluded that what's missing is the attitude. Not in the lyrics but the music. The music on the first 4 albums sounded mean and nasty. Thats what drew me to there music in the first place. At the time it didnt sound like anything else out there. The music reflected the swagger and attitude of the band. I mean even the drums in Its so easy sound mean. I feel that that was missing on CD. It sounds Overproduced ( when you have a bunch of different producers working on the album in a 10 year period it will happen). I feel like with a new album the band has to go into the studio and capture that chemistry they have on stage and just release the album quickly. Dont record, let it sit around, tinker with it, fine tune it again and then release it. Trust yourselves. You have a great band. DJ's a good songwriter and seems to have a certain swagger. Take advantage and create something great.

I agree with you about the music not sounding as mean or nasty as the early stuff, but I took that as a positive because to me it reflected emotional growth and maturity.  After a certain age, the bad-ass attitude pose comes off a bit ridiculous, so I appreciated that the album had a sound that revealed some vulnerability.  But what was consistent from the old days was the honesty. 
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »

I agree with you about the music not sounding as mean or nasty as the early stuff, but I took that as a positive because to me it reflected emotional growth and maturity.  After a certain age, the bad-ass attitude pose comes off a bit ridiculous, so I appreciated that the album had a sound that revealed some vulnerability.  But what was consistent from the old days was the honesty. 

Good point George. Writing about street-life would be kinda weird, when they haven't been part of that for 20+ years. The honesty is one of Axl's absolute trademarks.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: