Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 02:14:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228058 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 493 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1585762 times)
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #5940 on: January 27, 2017, 02:34:58 AM »

I think it's time for them to drop a new song.
The problem is ticket sales are too good and it's making the band lazy. It's great that they're playing Chinese song though to keep things fresh
Slashrose
Rocker

Twitter - @sonicmonstersk8

« Reply #5941 on: January 27, 2017, 06:13:19 AM »

Is it really serious that you're still waiting for new songs?

It's been 10 years since the last release, and frankly, Axl acts according to its time, we will not have new songs.

Use your illusions, there is no appetite for new songs
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #5942 on: January 27, 2017, 08:50:51 AM »

Is it really serious that you're still waiting for new songs?

It's been 10 years since the last release, and frankly, Axl acts according to its time, we will not have new songs.

Use your illusions, there is no appetite for new songs
true. that only confirms the fact, that GNR has become a nostalgia act, first during the circa 2011-14 tour, and definitely in 2016 tour.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5943 on: January 27, 2017, 09:20:17 AM »

I think it's time for them to drop a new song.
The problem is ticket sales are too good and it's making the band lazy. It's great that they're playing Chinese song though to keep things fresh

Edit: Sorry, misread it. "too good". Blame my sleep deprived brain...

It's not "making the band lazy", though, IMHO.

You don't drop a new song when you literally have nothing to gain from it.  It can't put more buts in seats with it...what's the value to them?

Sure, "we" want new music. We're fans.  But, as I've pointed out before....it's gotta work for them, from a business perspective, too.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:27:39 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #5944 on: January 27, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »

Sure, "we" want new music. We're fans.  But, as I've pointed out before....it's gotta work for them, from a business perspective, too.

We sure never struggle to come up with reasons it "doesn't make sense" though, don't we?

I know all the old saws :

- "whining" doesn't accomplish anything
- live your life
- it comes out when it comes out
- they have always worked at a slow pace
- they "don't owe you anything"
- be happy with what you got

Fine, whatever.

But there never seems to be that window where anyone around here can formulate the words that now IS the time for something new and they SHOULD be doing it.  We just spin the Wheel O' Excuses and pick one.

FTR, I don't ever expect a new album, ever.  I only barely expect a new song, ever.  And I only see that as an olive branch to keep Slash and Duff around, and only if he absolutely HAS to do it, kikcing and screaming.

We've been following what is no more than a touring act for at least 5 years.  I think that is our future.  Given this line-up, I'm good with it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5945 on: January 27, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »

We sure never struggle to come up with reasons it "doesn't make sense" though, don't we?

- live your life

Fine, whatever.

But there never seems to be that window where anyone around here can formulate the words that now IS the time for something new and they SHOULD be doing it.  We just spin the Wheel O' Excuses and pick one.

FTR, I don't ever expect a new album, ever.  I only barely expect a new song, ever.  And I only see that as an olive branch to keep Slash and Duff around, and only if he absolutely HAS to do it, kikcing and screaming.

We've been following what is no more than a touring act for at least 5 years.  I think that is our future.  Given this line-up, I'm good with it.

You know what?  I've arguing the opposite for a while now, but looking at the facts, I think you're likely correct.  Sure, we can point to what he said over the summer and whatever else, but at the end of the day you know what really proves an album is coming soon?  A fucking album. I don't see one coming, and the fact that the logistics of making it happen are seemingly fucked does not help.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5946 on: January 27, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »

I don't see one coming, and the fact that the logistics of making it happen are seemingly fucked does not help.

That's really the sticking point for me.  I just don't know what form that takes.

Perfect world, the 7 people on stage put their heads together and see what they come up with.  But you are talking about starting from literal scratch there.  They are touring all this year, so this work would not even begin in earnest until 2018 sometime.

Then you have Axl's Magical Mystery Vault.  We still only have hearsay about how excited (or even interested) Slash and Duff are regarding all that stuff.

You throw all that in a blender, and then factor in that Slash and Duff are "go-go-go" and Axl works at a snail's pace...sadly, I think the most likely outcome is that they can't come up with a way forward.

But, if there was another tour in 2019 and 2020 with this same line-up, even with nothing new, I'm good with it.  So long as they change up the show.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5947 on: January 27, 2017, 11:04:11 AM »

- live your life

Fine, whatever.

You say excuses.

I say reasons.

And there's been a number of them the past few years.

1) RIGHT about the time "they were looking seriously about what we're going to do about a new album", it sound like, by all reports, the reunion was pretty much starting to come together.

2) RIGHT now there is honestly no earthly way you can justify releasing new music, from a business perspective. Seriously...what would it be?

What's sort of amusing in all this is that, again,since CD, where you see excuses and other folks see reasons.....the folks seeing reasons have pretty much had their stance bourne out by information and events.

I would suggest you see excuses largely because you want new music so very badly.  Which is fine.

I'd also say it's not true that no one has formulated a time frame where new music would make sense.  Especially considering you're responding to me, and I laid out...not so long ago...a timeline I thought did make sense.  And I even said...if we're sitting here in mid to late '18 with no sign of new music...then the likelihood of new music is probably well and truly fucked.

I think there's even odds we get some new material (like a single or bonus tracks) to coincide with AFD 30.  With an album scheduled for spring/summer '18.  That would jive with their current tour plans and breaks.

See...there's your time frame.

IF they decide to be a touring act....that's fine.  I don't think they do.  I don't think Axl has EVER conceeded that's what he wanted them to be.  He's ALWAYS talked about new music, even when the process has taken longer or not turned out the way he wanted it to.  

Together again,
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5948 on: January 27, 2017, 11:12:05 AM »

I don't see one coming, and the fact that the logistics of making it happen are seemingly fucked does not help.

That's really the sticking point for me.  I just don't know what form that takes.

Perfect world, the 7 people on stage put their heads together and see what they come up with.  But you are talking about starting from literal scratch there.  They are touring all this year, so this work would not even begin in earnest until 2018 sometime.

Then you have Axl's Magical Mystery Vault.  We still only have hearsay about how excited (or even interested) Slash and Duff are regarding all that stuff.

You throw all that in a blender, and then factor in that Slash and Duff are "go-go-go" and Axl works at a snail's pace...sadly, I think the most likely outcome is that they can't come up with a way forward.

But, if there was another tour in 2019 and 2020 with this same line-up, even with nothing new, I'm good with it.  So long as they change up the show.

Good points, all.  Slash & Duff were able to put their creative spins on tracks like Chinese Democracy, Better & TIL (Sorry not so much IMO) in a LIVE setting.  But would this have worked on an album, and also figuring the other guitarists work was already in place?

I would imagine the next album has more "out there" tracks ala Shackler's Revenge, Riad, Silkworms, etc.  Those songs simply are not anywhere near Slash's style of playing.   Per his comments over the summer, Axl still seemed gung ho about some fucking day releasing the other half of Chinese and seemed, at best, ambivalent about whether Slash would record for said tracks.  Or to quote him "I don't know if Slash has anything to do with that..."

What?  I mean...What?

To me, this shows that Axl hasn't really cared to seriously plan and/or think about who from the current lineup will even be on the next album, at least as of this past summer.  I'm surprised that he even considers it an option to release music without Slash on it after the "reunion".

So, I digress, it looks like things are so high up in the air right now that I don't see a release materializing for YEARS, when Axl is damn near 60, if ever.  I honestly hope I'm wrong, and they know something we don't.  Time will tell.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:13:47 AM by sofine11 » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5949 on: January 27, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »

pilferk -

Let's put it this way.  The next reasonable window to look for a way forward is 2018 or 2019, right?

If you are asking me, right now, to bet an amount of money that would be significant to me that anyone around here is going to suddenly start saying that the time for excuses "reasons" are over, and its time to get to it if they are serious about continuing as a viable, credible artisic act...I'm not putting that money down.

I see a far better chance that "they just finished a tour, give them a break" segues pretty seamlessly into "they are just getting ready to back on tour, give them a break".  Without too much of a stopover for hard questions in between.

But really, we are already in bonus time as far as I'm concerned.  Even with nothing new, I still feel GNR fans have come out ahead the past 2 years.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5950 on: January 27, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »

I would imagine the next album has more "out there" tracks ala Shackler's Revenge, Riad, Silkworms, etc.  Those songs simply are not anywhere near Slash's style of playing.   Per his comments over the summer, Axl still seemed gung ho about some fucking day releasing the other half of Chinese and seemed, at best, ambivalent about whether Slash would record for said tracks.  Or to quote him "I don't know if Slash has anything to do with that..."

What?  I mean...What?

To me, this shows that Axl hasn't really cared to seriously plan and/or think about who from the current lineup will even be on the next album, at least as of this past summer.  I'm surprised that he even considers it an option to release music without Slash on it after the "reunion".

Agreed.  That was weird.

But, to be fair, I am encouraged by how much fun Axl seems to be having with all of this and perhaps that puts him in a better headspace going forward.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5951 on: January 27, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »

What?  I mean...What?

Agreed.  That was weird.

But, to be fair, I am encouraged by how much fun Axl seems to be having with all of this and perhaps that puts him in a better headspace going forward.

That's definitely encouraging. And I keep telling myself "How do they not have all the industry support in the world to put out an album right now?"  Yes, I understand they are not Beyonce or Justin Timberlake, but I do still think the label would be pretty psyched about getting a real deal Guns N' Roses album with Slash & Duff all over it.   I believe it ultimately comes down to the band producing it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5952 on: January 27, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »

They have a LONG break this spring.  Almost 3 months, presently. Most of March, all of April, and most of May.

That's enough time.  That's pretty much the time that MK and the Conspirators had set aside to put together THEIR album with Slash.

Its likely not enough to get an album out by the end of 2017 (MK+C set aside the time in '16 for an album release planned for '17). Maybe...but not likely.  But they could snag a couple tracks from that for singles or bonus AFD 30 tracks for release by late summer '17.

The timelines actually work out VERY well, IF that's the plan.  It could be coincidence that that break was planned, and the timing sort of "matches" what they need.  But it's enough to at least give you some hope.

I think that, if ANY of that stuff gets on the new album (and I think thats a long shot), it would bear little resemblance to the material in it's current state.  You'd likely keep the melody and lyrics and the rest would be completely reworked.

And it's possible that, like with UYI, that a few of those...the ones the rest of the band really like... are the "Axl" songs that get on the new album. And then the Slash and Duff songs are completely different, and come from their stuff.

There's a decent chance that both those guys have GnR style stuff that they've had in their back pocket for years, too...that just didn't "fit" with their current projects.  I thought Slash had even said something to that effect, while talking about MK+C?

See, I think they're all good together, in that respect.  Axl forces them to do some quality control and not be lazy.  Slash and Duff convince Axl it's time to move on and that its good enough.  It's the mutual respect thing.  Both sides make the other sides better.  That's best case scenario.

But, yes...there's always the chance none of that happens...and Slash and Duff churn out lazy riffs that Axl hates and they won't change, and, in turn, Slash and Duff can't convince Axl the material is actually finished.  

But I don't see the second as MORE likely than the first.

I'd still go, but I don't think you're selling out stadiums anymore.  BUT, I think just a bit of new music...and they can keep selling HUGE numbers of tickets around the world.  I think they know that, too.  And so does everyone involved.  You have to admit: Post reunion, everything has actually pretty much made sense in how this is all handled.  I know we're all a little gun shy (no pun intended) from some of history. But the past year+ has been...down right normal in terms of how a AAA band operates.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5953 on: January 27, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »

They have a LONG break this spring.  Almost 3 months, presently. Most of March, all of April, and most of May.

True.

But I don't begruge them that down time.  Touring is a bitch.  The travel alone is a god damn grind, let alone actually having to do the shows.

I think its rather unfair to expect them to get some down time before they have to go back out, and then expect them to get right back to work on something else.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5954 on: January 27, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »

pilferk -

Let's put it this way.  The next reasonable window to look for a way forward is 2018 or 2019, right?

I'd say spring to summer 2018 for an album.  2019 is WAY too late, IMHO.

[quote
If you are asking me, right now, to bet an amount of money that would be significant to me that anyone around here is going to suddenly start saying that the time for excuses "reasons" are over, and its time to get to it if they are serious about continuing as a viable, credible artisic act...I'm not putting that money down.
[/quote]

I'd say that about every recording artist on the planet, quite frankly.  Not that I don't see your point...I just think you're attaching a wee bit too much importance to it.

But I will tell you right now...if we haven't heard a whiff of new music by 2018, I will be in the camp of "it's time to lay down new music or just tell everyone there's no plans to ever do so".  And I will pretty much put them in the nostalgia touring act group at that time.  So you'd lose that sum of money..since I'm definitely "anyone".

I see a far better chance that "they just finished a tour, give them a break" segues pretty seamlessly into "they are just getting ready to back on tour, give them a break".  Without too much of a stopover for hard questions in between.

Nah.  By late 2018, with this lineup, I think people will be clamoring for new music.  Why? Because look at this thread?  You don't think those numbers will grow as time moves forward?

But really, we are already in bonus time as far as I'm concerned.  Even with nothing new, I still feel GNR fans have come out ahead the past 2 years.

I agree. 100%.  That's part of why I see reasons why we don't have, and won't have, new music "soon" (before summer, at least).

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5955 on: January 27, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »

Agreed.  That was weird.

Couple things:

1) I think you throw a lot of what Axl said early last summer out the door.  They've been on tour together for ALMOST a year, straight.  I think this has gone better than anyone in the band, around the band, or who are fans of the band expected it to in their wildest dreams.  They appear down right fucking collegial on stage, now.  No uncomfortableness, no tension.....I mean...TICKLE FUCKING TICKLE.

2) I've often wondered, over the past year, if Axl's comments were sort of in the vein of releasing that material as almost solo stuff.  His version of a Snakepit album...and not really under the GnR guise.  I'm not sure if the label would allow it, or whatever.  But I almost wonder if that's what he meant by "IDK what Slash's involvement would be".  Or, conversely, maybe at the time he was still unsure how all this was gonna go (see above).

Together again,
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5956 on: January 27, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »

I think at the very least, an album announcement needs to come this year, while they're still riding high somewhat on the REUNION aura.  Meaning, 2018 or bust for the next album, if not, sooner.  I do not think that's realistic, nor do I believe in my heart that it will happen, given the history of this band and the folks running the show.   It's just what they should do to maintain the headlines they've been enjoying and for the mass public to really dig the news.  That said, the same could've been said in 2002 and 2006 for Axl.  We all know he's ultimately still the one holding the reigns, who knows if he can handle the pressure of delivering the album in a timely manner these days, with or without the label's support.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5957 on: January 27, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »

True.

But I don't begruge them that down time.  Touring is a bitch.  The travel alone is a god damn grind, let alone actually having to do the shows.

I think its rather unfair to expect them to get some down time before they have to go back out, and then expect them to get right back to work on something else.

Meh, I think thats the business of doing business in the recording industry, now.  You pretty much look around and see that there are TONS of bands (MK+C, again...they were all tied up in other tours...and then all planned a break to record the next album before they all went out again...and then GnR happened) that do this.  Tour like crazy, and then during an extended break record their new material, before going back out to finish up a tour.  I think that's part and parcel, now....when the music, itself, is harder to monetize, but the tours make you the big ducats.

I agree...touring is hard work. And I don't begrudge them down time, either.  And it certainly could just be that.

But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that that time was scheduled to get into a studio and record, either.  The timing is coincidental/fortuitous, given EVERYTHING else involved going forward, at least. I mean...it literally fits PERFECTLY into the slot where you would expect a "normal" band to record material for release post tour...before taking 6-8 months off (during which they handle the mixing/mastering/marketing bullshit)  and then going back out on the road to tour behind THAT album.

Also keep in mind: These guys all had between 9 and 18 months (depending on who you're talking about) OFF before the tour started.  And they had about 2 months off between the US tour and the Latin America tour...and another 2 months between Latin America and Japan.  They've gotten some decent breaks in there, too.  They have NOT been on the road for 16 months straight going into their break.

All I'm saying is the timing works.  Whether its for that or for some downtime or both...we won't know til May.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:47:54 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5958 on: January 27, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »

I think at the very least, an album announcement needs to come this year, while they're still riding high somewhat on the REUNION aura.  Meaning, 2018 or bust for the next album, if not, sooner.  I do not think that's realistic, nor do I believe in my heart that it will happen, given the history of this band and the folks running the show.   It's just what they should do to maintain the headlines they've been enjoying and for the mass public to really dig the news.  That said, the same could've been said in 2002 and 2006 for Axl.  We all know he's ultimately still the one holding the reigns, who knows if he can handle the pressure of delivering the album in a timely manner these days, with or without the label's support.

You announce AFD 30 in late May/early June (probably to coincide with the resumption of their tour in late May), with 2 bonus tracks of new material, for release on July 21st, 2017 (it's even a fucking Friday, which is when new music is released now, instead of Tuesdays!).

In September or October, you do some interviews or press or SOMETHING and let the world know the band is working on a new album/has recorded material for a new album with release for some time in 2018.

In March, you announce a release date of June something for the new album.

Done. Wink

If it were me, that's the way I'd do it, anyway.

Together again,
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5959 on: January 27, 2017, 11:48:54 AM »

True.

Meh, I think thats the business of doing business in the recording industry, now.  You pretty much look around and see that there are TONS of bands (MK+C, again...they were all tied up in other tours...and then all planned a break to record the next album before they all went out again...and then GnR happened) that do this.  Tour like crazy, and then during an extended break record their new material, before going back out to finish up a tour.  I think that's part and parcel, now....when the music, itself, is harder to monetize, but the tours make you the big ducats.

I agree...touring is hard work. And I don't begrudge them down time, either.  And it certainly could just be that.

But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that that time was scheduled to get into a studio and record, either.  The timing is coincidental/fortuitous, given EVERYTHING else involved going forward, at least. I mean...it literally fits PERFECTLY into the slot where you would expect a "normal" band to record material for release post tour...before taking 6-8 months off (during which they handle the mixing/mastering/marketing bullshit)  and then going back out on the road to tour behind THAT album.

All I'm saying is the timing works.  Whether its for that or for some downtime or both...we won't know til May.

Expecting Axl to be seriously proactive about releasing new music during down time, you're playing a dangerous game pilferk!  hihi

Honestly, I played that game in 2011 when Axl had nearly 11 months off.  With all the talk of Chinese Democracy II, I was certain Rio would kick that off given the band's history of introducing new music at that event. Boy. Was. I. Wrong.  

But seriously, I hope they do.  I hope this year has seen Axl completely reinvigorated and hungry to pump out the next album.  Boy would that be a dream come true.  Positive thinking never hurts, and God knows they could use our good vibes.   ok
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 493 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: