Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:36:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1560831 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8520 on: February 02, 2021, 03:18:04 PM »

I'm not saying that a physical release isn't going to happen, but it isn't for the majority of the music consuming public. Sure to Mysteron's point, there is a thriving Vinyl market, but that is for the audiophile crowd... or worse the hipster crowd that can't hear the difference but want you to hear all about the vinyl they buy.

My take on this though is that this isn't 1991 anymore. People aren't lining up to buy something they can listen to as part of their streaming subscription the second it becomes available. No one is walking into a record store (if they even exist anymore) to see what the latest release is. If a "surprise" release hit's the streaming platforms and YouTube with social media targeted at the release it will do well, then the vinyl sales come after it gains some traction.

I agree with what you're saying. But..... There's still a bunch of people who could buy a CD if it's in front of them.

Because, well they always bought CDs.

Looking at AC/DC's sales of their last album, out of the 62,000 copies sold in the UK during the first week, less than 10,000 were non-physical copies.

In the US: 117,000 equivalent album units in its first week of release, according to Billboard. Of that, 111,000 were album sales, 5,000 (equaling 7.8 million on-demand streams of the album's songs) were streaming equivalent albums (SEA) units; and 1,000 were track equivalent albums (TEA) units.

Now, the AC/DC fans might be a little older than GN'R fans, but a bunch of people like both bands.... Physical releases still seem to matter.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #8521 on: February 02, 2021, 03:21:03 PM »

seriously if we're going down that nostalgia road I'd love to have this next album on cassette.
I'd buy a Sony Walkman just for it, and listen to it like I listened to UYI back in the day.

Team Brazil if you read this... hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8522 on: February 02, 2021, 05:20:16 PM »

I'd buy the album even if I had to walk through 15 miles of thorns naked and it came in a package made of lead.

... I'm not really sure where I was going with that...

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8523 on: February 02, 2021, 05:43:56 PM »

seriously if we're going down that nostalgia road I'd love to have this next album on cassette.
I'd buy a Sony Walkman just for it, and listen to it like I listened to UYI back in the day.

You know the 2018 re-issue of AFD was put out on cassette too right?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #8524 on: February 02, 2021, 07:29:07 PM »

When do you guys think a release of new music will come out?  I think it will be in the fall when the Australian tour kicks off. beer

Rizzo160
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #8525 on: February 02, 2021, 07:36:05 PM »

Again we are all free to debate .   If they wanted to they would . Period. When and if they do will know.  We can all speculate  but this is the  only band in the world  “ love them anyways “  that can’t seem to release new music .  It’s not a industry thing , it’s not a marketing thing .   It’s a  Guns n Roses  thing .

Side note I’ve been seeing this band live since 1987 I’m 43 and I can firmly say it took till the Not in this life time tour  for it to become a well oiled machine .   From show start times to professionalism to amazing media coverage.   So anything is possible .  And now that the gravy train won’t stop flowing  it’s the perfect time to drop an EP OR ALBUM.   If they don’t they’ll be just like. KISS.  All to say they have solidified their Legacy, so what will be will be .

Certainly cannot argue with this

Would point out, unfortunately though,that a good portion of the huge crowds that rocked those stadiums and buildings for that tour probably are not that interested in a new album and certainly could not name more than 2 songs on Chinese.

Just think a new single or two getting out there (They have this thing called Youtube - I hear it works pretty good)  is what is needed to awaken people to the idea that they are something other KISS or The Eagles - playing either songs written over 30 years ago or songs most of the people on that stage didn't even write.
DeN
Legend

« Reply #8526 on: February 03, 2021, 06:41:03 AM »

/jarmo

nope, didn't know that. so there's maybe a chance after all, even if I understand a reissue
 is a different kind of beast than a new release. could be cool!

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8527 on: February 03, 2021, 11:20:34 AM »

/jarmo

nope, didn't know that. so there's maybe a chance after all, even if I understand a reissue

I think inside the bigger box had a cassette that had a select track list. I do know (and this goes to my hipster comment earlier) that Urban Outfitters was strongly pushing cassettes to comeback last year or the year before (Covid has destroyed my ability to keep track of time).

I also think there was a limited cassette release in 2018, they now go for $150.00 on amazon.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8528 on: February 03, 2021, 11:35:30 AM »

One was a Target exclusive I think.

That's how they do releases nowadays. One exclusive color/edition here, another color/edition there...  Smiley

/jarmo

DeN
Legend

« Reply #8529 on: February 03, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »

yeah, same with toys, I'm a Masters of The Universe toys fan (I haaave the poooower hihi),
Walmart & Target exclusives are common in that area too...which makes me think distribution
is another story here in Europe...

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #8530 on: February 03, 2021, 12:35:46 PM »

I know you don't speak for the band but you sound like how this band comes across to the fans when it comes to releasing music.  So lost in the jungle of the music business that they can't get music out.  They can't find a path.  Okay if they want a clear path but if they just want out, the fans are out here making a lot of noise.  Follow our voices and ramrod your way through.  We'll look back at the path after they make it through.  It's going to be a mess but they'll be out of the jungle and we'll be happy to see them.  Cheesy

Exactly. I'm not speaking for the band. I speak for myself from my point of view.

It kinda puzzles me to see people still say "just put it out". I mean, last time Axl did that. some of these people were complaining about the lack of promotion. Well, he just "put it out".

We all (hopefully) learn from our past experiences. Maybe just putting it out and seeing what happens isn't what GN'R want?

/jarmo

Regarding Chinese, do you really believe that Axl just put it out there?  That is an interesting take, as it's notoriously known as one of the most delayed (and expensive) albums of all time.  It seems like it was put out there despite Axl, not because of him.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8531 on: February 03, 2021, 12:48:54 PM »

Regarding Chinese, do you really believe that Axl just put it out there?  That is an interesting take, as it's notoriously known as one of the most delayed (and expensive) albums of all time.  It seems like it was put out there despite Axl, not because of him.

What I meant is, he released it and then there was not a lot of promotion after it was released.

/jarmo

DeN
Legend

« Reply #8532 on: February 04, 2021, 07:23:25 AM »

the more I think about it, the more I'd like some kind of online treasure hunt,
where the band hide tracks on some different websites and post clues everyday
to people to find them. once every tracks are found, the album is released.

yeah well I'm a player.  hihi

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8533 on: February 04, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »

the more I think about it, the more I'd like some kind of online treasure hunt,
where the band hide tracks on some different websites and post clues everyday
to people to find them. once every tracks are found, the album is released.

yeah well I'm a player.  hihi

Or just release songs on web sites, TV shows, commercials, movies etc.

Songs everywhere. Put them out as physical singles on CD, 7"/12". Then make a collection after a few months that has all the songs in one package. Make multiple variants, different colored vinyls, different packaging for the CDs etc.

And then we could see how long before someone cries "cash grab  cryingrofl

/jarmo

rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #8534 on: February 04, 2021, 03:13:01 PM »

I hope they release an album soon, that way I can buy a physical CD.  Chinese democracy was one of my last CD's.  I wonder how much longer you will be able to buy CD's?Huh beer

Rizzo160
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #8535 on: February 04, 2021, 04:53:36 PM »

I hope they release an album soon, that way I can buy a physical CD.  Chinese democracy was one of my last CD's.  I wonder how much longer you will be able to buy CD's?Huh beer

It'll lessen over time, but there is still a generation who will buy them. But it will die out eventually once the young generation now grow older. It may stay as a niche hobby but it'll be more expensive I presume. It is what it is, technology has changed so fast it's hard to keep up with
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8536 on: February 04, 2021, 06:36:46 PM »

People are buying bigger TVs with better picture capabilities and listen to music on streaming services using earbuds that cost less than a cup of coffee....  Wink

/jarmo

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8537 on: February 05, 2021, 02:01:40 PM »

I'm 27 and I still buy CDs. And I stream, too. Basically, streaming is great when you just want to put on a mix, whereas I like to buy a CD for bands I really like because it supports them more and I like having a physical object, if nothing else, as a kind of memento. Something nice to put on the shelf.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #8538 on: February 05, 2021, 09:10:55 PM »

Good point, I'm just  nervous that by the time GNR puts out an album, CD's will be gone. Hopefully this fall it will come out beer

Rizzo160
DeN
Legend

« Reply #8539 on: February 06, 2021, 10:17:56 AM »

look who has a nice collection of cassettes  Shocked

another reason to like the man

https://youtu.be/N4wWRO-mdNA

Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: