Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:36:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 492 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1558917 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #8980 on: January 29, 2022, 02:07:16 PM »

Looks like we are looking at singles/EP releases of the unreleased Axl stuff first, hopefully throughout this year.

I'm still hopeful they'll get around to record an album from scratch as well. Maybe something for next year?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8981 on: January 29, 2022, 06:43:13 PM »

I'm not saying "I told you so", but I am saying I told you so.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #8982 on: January 29, 2022, 07:11:39 PM »

Updated first post with writing credits for Hard Skool.

Rose, Slash, McKagan, Finck, Freese, Stinson and Tobias

https://www.umusicpub.com/us/Digital-Music-Library/song/483002/guns-n-roses-hard-skool

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #8983 on: January 29, 2022, 08:48:25 PM »

Updated first post with writing credits for Hard Skool.

Rose, Slash, McKagan, Finck, Freese, Stinson and Tobias

https://www.umusicpub.com/us/Digital-Music-Library/song/483002/guns-n-roses-hard-skool
Interesting. I listened Freeses interview on the Appetite For Distortion that was done just days after the release of Hard Skool and he said he listened to it and said its not one of the songs he wrote.
Probably he just forgot since he cowrote it, not wrote it by himself like CD.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8984 on: January 30, 2022, 09:34:44 PM »

Well, hopefully that puts to bed the ideas that it was written prior to the CD lineup.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8985 on: January 31, 2022, 07:49:01 AM »

Well, hopefully that puts to bed the ideas that it was written prior to the CD lineup.

Not necessarily. It might have existed in some early form even back then. Paul Tobias is listed as a contributing song writer.

He was there in the 1990s when Slash and Duff was still in the band....

But you also have the late 1990s line up mentioned there. Robin and Tommy show replaced Slash and Duff. As well as Josh...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8986 on: January 31, 2022, 09:56:12 AM »

Not necessarily. It might have existed in some early form even back then. Paul Tobias is listed as a contributing song writer.

But you also have the late 1990s line up mentioned there. Robin and Tommy show replaced Slash and Duff. As well as Josh...

/jarmo

I thought the same thing, the names on that list tend to put it right in that 1997-1999 time frame. Pre Brain and Bucket. That means the idea could have been kicking around since 1995ish... you are talking about a really short window of time. May not have been hashed out fully until Josh, Paul and Robin got their hands on it though.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8987 on: January 31, 2022, 06:51:11 PM »

But if the song was written before Robin and Tommy came in, why would they get credit? Anything they would have added would have been changed back by Slash and Duff anyway.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #8988 on: February 01, 2022, 01:25:22 PM »

But if the song was written before Robin and Tommy came in, why would they get credit? Anything they would have added would have been changed back by Slash and Duff anyway.

Well the bridge and second half of the solo are pretty different from the rest of the song. Maybe they wrote one of those pieces?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8989 on: February 01, 2022, 05:15:34 PM »

I think the original thought was that "ideas" were getting kicked around and the goal was to get back into the studio in 1995-1996 to record the "Jackie Chan Soundtrack Song"... a full song was never hashed out. THEN the initial CD era lineup and Paul, who was the bridge between the two eras, completed it and did enough to get the melody together and get writing credits.

Could be way off, but that is how I see it being possible, the CD line up put flesh on a skeleton, then Slash and Duff gave it a boob job/face lift 25+ years later...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8990 on: February 01, 2022, 08:11:06 PM »

But why would Slash refer to it as Axl's material, then?

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8991 on: February 02, 2022, 04:23:17 AM »

Because the cd era lineup turned an idea into a functional song (again just my speculation)… the coincidence of a song being code named Jackie Chan, being written by the CD era lineup so close to Duff telling Stern he was returning to LA to record a song for a Jackie Chan soundtrack

Lyrics and bulk of the song could have come together after the quit, but could have held some structure from studio work which Slash, Duff, Matt, and Paul.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8992 on: February 02, 2022, 10:36:14 AM »

Yes.

Just the facts that there was talk about a new song being in a Jackie Chan movie, the working title of Jackie Chan, and the song credits, doesn't necessarily exclude the theory that this song, or parts of it, might've existed before the break up.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8993 on: February 02, 2022, 12:23:56 PM »

Because the cd era lineup turned an idea into a functional song (again just my speculation)… the coincidence of a song being code named Jackie Chan, being written by the CD era lineup so close to Duff telling Stern he was returning to LA to record a song for a Jackie Chan soundtrack

Lyrics and bulk of the song could have come together after the quit, but could have held some structure from studio work which Slash, Duff, Matt, and Paul.

LOL I somehow typed this on a iPhone while pretty much sleeping last night. missed some points (my speculation).

I really do think Axl was trying everything at the time to make things work with Slash and Duff (more so Slash as Duff would be more likely to hang on with the 3rd member) so I'm sure there was a lot happening, like soundtrack work (Sympathy and this rumored Jackie Chan track). There have been stories from Matt and Slash about Slash butting heads with Paul, so I would assume there were ideas put to tape during those sessions (this would also be when people like Zach started showing up). I think Axl wanted to prove to Slash that they could work on new material in a new direction. When that broke down and fell apart, Axl strikes me as the type of guy that will use anything idea wise if it makes sense. The noodling/rehearsal sessions were probably put in front of Paul, Josh, Robin and Tommy and then Hard Skool came out of it, or Paul heard something there that he brought forward with the new guys.

Not saying Slash and Duff quit with the track fully baked.  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 12:40:48 PM by C0ma » Logged
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #8994 on: February 02, 2022, 01:42:47 PM »

What are the confirmed songwriters on Absurd?

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8995 on: February 02, 2022, 02:43:42 PM »

What are the confirmed songwriters on Absurd?

I think Axl, Dizzy, Duff & Slash.

/jarmo

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #8996 on: February 02, 2022, 03:24:15 PM »

Thanks…cool they mentioned Brain on the drums…at least they acknowledged his performance!

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #8997 on: February 02, 2022, 06:43:47 PM »

The thing is that it sounds nothing like what Slash was writing at that time (or at any time, if you ask me). He's always written unique riffs, whereas that song is just basic chord changes.

If anything, I'd find it most plausible that it was a Paul Huge idea that they were trying to get Slash to work with.

sworrm
Rocker

« Reply #8998 on: February 03, 2022, 07:35:24 AM »

I know Wikipedia isn’t reliable but it says on there that it’s written by Axl on his own , I quite believe it tho cos as you say it’s a very basic chord structure similar to the one Axl wrote in Deadhorse
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8999 on: February 04, 2022, 04:27:36 PM »

The thing is that it sounds nothing like what Slash was writing at that time (or at any time, if you ask me). He's always written unique riffs, whereas that song is just basic chord changes.

If anything, I'd find it most plausible that it was a Paul Huge idea that they were trying to get Slash to work with.

That's possible, and still hints at it being from that timeframe and they could have had hands on it... then after changing over 20+ years, Slash's 2020(ish) changes would sound very different than the Snakepit/Bluesball stuff he was doing outside of GnR.
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 492 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: