Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Best Albums of the Year (so far)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Albums of the Year (so far)  (Read 54732 times)
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« on: August 27, 2012, 02:12:30 AM »

I'm a bit early, I know, but we can come back in January and make corrections and additions. Smiley

I'm finding it harder and harder as the years go buy to even come up with a list. Yeah, there's some good stuff out there, but not much really sticks with me over time. So here I'm just going to list the ones that did shine though.

1.) Jack White - Blunderbuss. - This WILL be Album of the Year in my eyes. Completely different than the Stripes, hell, completely different than anything for that matter. Even if you didn't like the White Stripes or whatever....give this one a try. You may change your opinion. Jack is a songwriter in the truest sense of the word. He does what he wants in the studio, exactly what he wants. Here's a pretty great 2 hour Doc/concert he did a few months back. Can't wait to hear more from him. I was sad that I've missed out on seeing the Stripes, but I know this would be even better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxEmx6JnC_Q

2.) Dead Sara - Dead Sara - It's a VERY rare thing to me to hear a song on the radio now a days and then rush to the record store to get it. When I first heard "Weather Man" I was floored. This girl can SING! The whole album rocks. They were part of the Warped Tour in Vegas this year, but I didn't go because I wasn't going to skip work to deal with the crowd just to see them get a 20 minute set. I see them getting much, much bigger.

3.) I'm going to throw Shinedown's Amaryllis on here too. Shinedown IMO is a great, great band. It's too bad they so often get grouped in with all the other Modern Rock stuff that sounds the same (i.e. Theory of a DeadNickelSeetherBackMan) I remember LOVING the disc when it came out earlier this year, I'm going to have to revisit it tomorrow.

4.) This one probably doesn't belong on this list....but the other day I heard Jackyl had a new disc out. Haha, so I decided what the hell, I'll check it out. It was really good! But even more than that, it got me to revisit their older stuff, and finding myself surprised I wasn't into them years ago. Just some great fun southern Rock N' Roll. Hopefully I'll be able to catch them in Vegas one day.

I picked up Lynyrd Skynyrds new album "Last of a Dyin' Breed" on Friday but forgot it at work. The few tracks I did hear were solid, can't wait to listen to the rest.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:21:31 AM by axlrosegnr » Logged

Axl is God.
Silex
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:47:09 AM »

Easy, Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPbZEEZme6Y
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »

Lets see, off the top of my head so far this year, this is in no order, just as they are coming to me.

1. Pennywise "All or Nothing"- one of the best S.C punk albums I have heard in a long time.  Brand new singer, but this thing is on par with their debut from 1991.

2. Offspring "Days Go By" another solid album by one of the most consistent bands of the last 20 years.

3. Van Halen"Different kind of Truth" very good comeback album in my opinion. 

4. Slash "Apocalyptic Love"- wasn't a huge fan of the overall record but it is hard to ignore an album which boasts the best song Slash has done since the "Illusions" (Anastasia)

5. Jack White "Blunderbuss"  Jack White knows what he is doing.

Overall it hasn't been that a great a year for new music yet as I cant really think of anything else I liked besides the above.  But the end of the year should be great  with the new No Doubt in September, possible new Soundgarden, and of course the Green Day trilogy which I am looking forward to the most. 
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »

I had forgotten about the Offspring...I'll need to add that too my list as well.

Axl is God.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »

A Place to Bury Strangers - Worship.... I think these guys sound like a mix of the Doors and Nine Inch Nails.  Love, love, love them.

Blood Red Shoes - In Time To Voices.... a poppy-ish band from overseas, but I really dig their single Cold.  Not usually my thing, but I like these guys.  I would see them Sept 18 in NYC if Slash wasn't playing that same night at Hammerstein! 

Alberta Cross - Songs of Patience.... If you like Oasis these guys are for you.  If you hate Oasis these guys are most definitely not for you.  Probably seeing them in NYC on Sept 13. 

Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas.... Guy is a legend.  Enough said. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »

2.) Dead Sara - Dead Sara - It's a VERY rare thing to me to hear a song on the radio now a days and then rush to the record store to get it. When I first heard "Weather Man" I was floored. This girl can SING! The whole album rocks. They were part of the Warped Tour in Vegas this year, but I didn't go because I wasn't going to skip work to deal with the crowd just to see them get a 20 minute set. I see them getting much, much bigger.

This is where the list starts and stops for me, just flat out great.

*I really like The Cult's "Choice Of Weapon" but I'm biased. Wink

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »

Short list thus far for me, but...

1) Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral
2) Slash - Apocalyptic Love

Looking forward to Soundgarden's King Animal, which I'm banking on jumping to the #1 spot.
It fucking better. Slow year.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 03:11:33 AM »

10: Rodrigo y Gabriela - Area 52
9: Silversun Pickups - Neck Of The Woods
8: Tenacious D - Rize Of The Fenix
7: Metallica - Beyond Magnetic
6: Brad - United We Stand
5: The Jane Austen Argument - Somewhere Under The Rainbow
4: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain
3: Serj Tankian - Harakiri
2: Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline
1: Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »

1.Slash Apocalyptic Love
2.Van Halen Different Kind Of Truth
3.Smashing Pumpkins Oceania

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »

I've only bought 2 albums released in 2012.

Turbonegro - Sexual Harassment
Orange Goblin - A Eulogy for the Damned

I've pre-ordered two records arriving later this month (Danko Jones - Rock n Roll is black and blue and Down : Down IV Part 1 ? The Purple EP)

I'm sure the coming records from Ghost, Graveyard and Rival Sons will be making it to my collection as well. I'll give Th?str?m's "Bev?pna dig med Vingar" a shot whenever I get my next "Th?str?m phase".
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »

I've pre-ordered two records arriving later this month (Danko Jones - Rock n Roll is black and blue and Down : Down IV Part 1 ? The Purple EP)

I'm sure the coming records from Ghost, Graveyard and Rival Sons will be making it to my collection as well. I'll give Th?str?m's "Bev?pna dig med Vingar" a shot whenever I get my next "Th?str?m phase".

Turbonegro are awesome! 

I have the new Vision of Disorder album on preorder, it comes out in two weeks.  Can't wait for it, its their first new album since 2001.  Looks like they are getting back together for one last go around before calling it quits once and for all. 
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »

Turbonegro are awesome! 

They are indeed!

They got a new singer now, Tony "the duke of nothing" Sylvester. He's got a great raw voice and seems to be a very cool guy. He used to be president of the london chapter of turbojugend and a good friend of the band, cool how great that worked out!

shame what a d-bag scientologist hank became but what the hell.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 01:35:14 AM »

NOFX- Selfentitled-- adding this to my above list.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »

Just done listening to Rival Sons new album "Head Down". Have to put it in on this topic, because it's a good album. Got the "feel" right away, from the first track "Keep on Swinging".

Nothing revolutionary or new about this, but when there's so much talent it don't have to. The groovy bass-lines and sound and incredible voice does it for me. Really and old-school sound which is rare to find so clear these days Smiley

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »

New Vision of Disorder album came out today (The Cursed Remain Cursed), their first album in 11 years.... it is sick.  The album is LOUD.  The vocals are unrelenting. 

Here is the official video they released for a track on the new album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cz82gB2KVs

BOILER GUNZ
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »

CHANNEL ORANGE
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »

Just done listening to Rival Sons new album "Head Down". Have to put it in on this topic, because it's a good album. Got the "feel" right away, from the first track "Keep on Swinging".

Nothing revolutionary or new about this, but when there's so much talent it don't have to. The groovy bass-lines and sound and incredible voice does it for me. Really and old-school sound which is rare to find so clear these days Smiley

Yeah I'm listening to that one right now. A very probably purchase.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 08:52:12 PM »

Halestorm, A Strange Case of... -- An ass kicking rock n roll album that hasn't gotten enough attention.

Slash, Apocalyptic Love -- of course
BigSexyGNR68
Opening Act

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »

1. Slash featuring Myles Kennedy And The Conspirators- Apocalyptic Love
2. Fozzy- Sin And Bones
3. Halestorm- Strange Case Of.....
4. Waylon Jennings- Goin' Down Rockin': The Last Recordings
5. The Cult- Choice of Weapon

I See You Standin' There.
You Think Your So Cool.
Why Don't You Just......
FUCK OFF!
Chris Misfit
Opening Act

Here Today...Drunk Today!

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »

I'm gonna agree with the new Turbonegro album being the best of the year so far! Sad to see Hank go, but a new start for the band and a good one!! ok

Had no idea VOD had a new album coming out, will have to get it!

Where's Jim?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: