Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Demand For a Kid Friendly Section
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Demand For a Kid Friendly Section  (Read 11855 times)
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« on: December 05, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »

This came up in another thread before and I wanted to expand on the topic without derailing the thread. 

My question is would the demand be there for a kids only section of the forum?  I know myself and a few others have children who we consider our little "Young Gunners."  It would be neat if there was a section they can go in where parents can know their kids can discuss GNR with other kids their own age.  One suggestion would be to also prohibit foul language in the section.  I know some of you aren't proud parents yet maybe their is a niece or nephew that could participate in the section?  I am interested to hear feedback from the other members especially parents.  Let's support a "Young Gunners" section!!!   ok ok ok ok peace
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:19:39 AM »

If there's any work to be done on the sections it should be the removal of the VR section. They havn't been a band in close to 5 years and won't be anytime soon. Just merge it all together with the "old gunners" section.
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:07:27 PM »

i think the op has a point, the next generation of gunners surely need a kid friendly platform where they too can discuss the band without fear of encountering offensive language. I'm talking about the real young gnr fans, those aged 10 and under. My nephew would love to find out more about gnr, he's only 9 and he's a complete wizz on the computer however I don't usually direct him to gnr forums often for reasons mentioned in the op.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Gunsguy
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 12:26:06 AM »

Hold up,

You want a "fan" of Guns N' Roses to be able to discuss them without sex, drugs, foul words?

Notice to all parents, the subject matter of GN'R may not be suitable for your youngsters....

If they listen to GN'R maybe there is no need to try and shelter them, either that or they are obviously too young to be online PERIOD.

My take
Gunsguy
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 12:44:36 AM »

How is that safe?  The news paints a different picture lately  no
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 03:21:14 AM »

Yeah I too think this is a rediculous idea, but I know the OP's sentiments are honourable. But everything you want to "shelter" your children from is what GN'R has always been about. What's next?, are you going to go through every GN'R album and censor out all of the "bad" words?... Come on get real. And besides this forum is probably the most child friendly platform compared to other GN'R forums because of the way jarmo runs it.  ok
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:53:27 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 04:18:01 AM »

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll have to pass on the idea.

I don't see it as something that "fits" the idea of this site, or something that would work.

I think kids should be kids. When they're old enough to discuss GN'R, they can visit this site and other fan sites.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »

hey, mr brownstone's just a guy who likes to dance, right?
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »

Just my personal opinion.....(and yes, I have children)....but every single kid is going to hear every single "bad" word in the book by the time they're 5. If they're in school, they're going to hear anything and everything on the playground. As long as they know they're bad words, and know not to repeat them (in front of adults, you can say your kid doesn't swear, but I guarantee you they will with their friends) then everything is good. So I think a "kid friendly" section is basically pointless. To each their own though. I mean no disrespect, just my opinion.

Axl is God.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »

Isn't there already a section for kids on this site? In the reunion threads it sure feels like I am arguing with a bunch of 9 year olds half the time, although I don't think kids whine THAT much.

All seriousness though, GNR is probably not the best subject matter for kids.  Don't get me wrong they have a ton of songs that I feel are appropriate for people of all ages, but they also have a bunch that aren't.  Also my vocabulary is far too limited to be able to get my point across without swearing.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »

Ah, I got into GNR when i was 8 years old...

I think they'd be ok.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 02:42:31 AM »

Ah, I got into GNR when i was 8 years old...

I think they'd be ok.

Same here.  All the more reason why kids shouldn't listen to them. hihi
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »

This came up in another thread before and I wanted to expand on the topic without derailing the thread. 

My question is would the demand be there for a kids only section of the forum?  I know myself and a few others have children who we consider our little "Young Gunners."  It would be neat if there was a section they can go in where parents can know their kids can discuss GNR with other kids their own age.  One suggestion would be to also prohibit foul language in the section.  I know some of you aren't proud parents yet maybe their is a niece or nephew that could participate in the section?  I am interested to hear feedback from the other members especially parents.  Let's support a "Young Gunners" section!!!   ok ok ok ok peace
No disrespect to you, but in all honesty, if you are concerned about foul language, then why even allow your kids to listen to GN'R?  Look at some of the lyrical content on AFD, from "Anything Goes" to "Rocket Queen" to "Welcome to the Jungle" to "It's So Easy".  There are even plenty of examples on the UYIs, like "Perfect Crime" and "Back Off Bitch".  Those songs, as they were originally written, are clearly not for kids in their themes, imagery and language.

Again, no disrespect, but I just see an incongruency here in terms of the idea you are presenting and they band we're talking about here.

Ali
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »

Jarmo made his decision and it is I am fine with it.  However I don't think it was nearly as far fetched of an idea as some of you.  Ali -  are you a parent?   GNR has been around a long time.  We are all older than when we first started listening to this band and have undergone many life changes.  I will tell you my son is allowed to listen to most of Chinese Democracy because Axl chose to use less profanity in it which makes it easier for me.   But without the web, how do we make sure the younger generation is being exposed?   If we don't plan for this, a lot of kids may miss out. 
Ali
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 07:25:17 PM »

Jarmo made his decision and it is I am fine with it.  However I don't think it was nearly as far fetched of an idea as some of you.  Ali -  are you a parent?   GNR has been around a long time.  We are all older than when we first started listening to this band and have undergone many life changes.  I will tell you my son is allowed to listen to most of Chinese Democracy because Axl chose to use less profanity in it which makes it easier for me.   But without the web, how do we make sure the younger generation is being exposed?   If we don't plan for this, a lot of kids may miss out. 
No, I'm not a parent.  But, I don't need to be one to know that songs that drop the F-bomb or feature recordings of a sexual encounter of the lead singer aren't suitable for children. 

I can understand kids wanting to get into music, especially good music like GN'R.  I can understand wanting to get your kid into good music like that. 

But, again, I can't help but notice the incongruency in talking about a kids section on a forum dedicated to Guns N' Roses.  Not some boy band, but Guns N' Roses.   hihi

Ali
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 09:40:58 PM »

Ali, I appreciate you're input, however I think children are very impressionable, and not all GnR songs contain swear words, actually only a few on the latest album do. If this band is going to capitalize on the next generation, then I think a platform where children can converse about favourite songs such as this i love or better and can only mean it would be a great addition to the fanbase.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »

Ali, I appreciate you're input, however I think children are very impressionable, and not all GnR songs contain swear words, actually only a few on the latest album do. If this band is going to capitalize on the next generation, then I think a platform where children can converse about favourite songs such as this i love or better and can only mean it would be a great addition to the fanbase.
Of course not ALL GN'R songs contain swear words.  But, their biggest album commercially contains swear words and a recording of the lead singer engaged in a sexual act.

I would love for a new generation of fans to be introduced to GN'R.  But, if you think you can expose a child to GN'R, and only the more profanity-free material, by all means.  However, in the internet age, I do not think that is possible.  It's just too easy to access a recording of "Rocket Queen", "It's So Easy", "Mr. Brownstone" or "Anything Goes".

Ali
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:50:05 PM by Ali » Logged
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »

I say let your kids discover their own music. They probably won't like something if a parent pushes them to it anyway.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »

I say let your kids discover their own music. They probably won't like something if a parent pushes them to it anyway.

Hahaha, I've been wrestling with that thought. My daughter will probably hate Gn'R since I named her Lexa Rose, (at least when she's younger) But at 8 months they love the live videos! (I know they'd like watching any live music probably, but I'll just keep telling myself it's Gn'R they prefer.)

Axl is God.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: