Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:08:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2013 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 178749 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »

And i'm glad. It needs to happen. They need to get this shit out of sports period.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 05:01:42 PM »

According to the story on ESPN Nelson Cruz, Gio Gonzalez and Melky Cabrera are also on the list.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 05:41:05 PM »

And i'm glad. It needs to happen. They need to get this shit out of sports period.

A lot of players on teams we care about are going to be implicated, this is just another tip to another iceberg.

Can you imagine if "real" testing with "real" penalties ever was put in place in the NFL?

3/4 of the league would get busted.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »

A lot of players on teams we care about are going to be implicated, this is just another tip to another iceberg.

Can you imagine if "real" testing with "real" penalties ever was put in place in the NFL?

Yep, i don't understand why other leagues aren't following Baseball's lead. In football i think it would be extremely beneficial. Do you realize how many injuries would be avoided if they really got tough on these players who are getting outrageously fast and big.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »

Yep, i don't understand why other leagues aren't following Baseball's lead. In football i think it would be extremely beneficial. Do you realize how many injuries would be avoided if they really got tough on these players who are getting outrageously fast and big.

NFL football is the absolute dirtiest league on the planet - it's look away and count the $$.

Just as the "Chicks dig the long ball" culture of baseball, "Chicks dig the big hits" in football.

Deterent?

1 positive test - 1 year.

2nd positive test - lifetime ban.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 06:38:29 PM »

NFL football is the absolute dirtiest league on the planet - it's look away and count the $$.

Just as the "Chicks dig the long ball" culture of baseball, "Chicks dig the big hits" in football.

Deterent?

1 positive test - 1 year.

2nd positive test - lifetime ban.

That about sums it up. As long as everyone is getting filthy rich its ok if everyone is using something in the NFL.

That would certainly help. I'm sure there would still be some that would try it though. Look at Baseball the third time is a lifetime ban but you're still seeing players who have been caught twice. Losing a whole year for first offense and their career for the second i think would go a long way in deterring this.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 06:52:07 PM »

That about sums it up. As long as everyone is getting filthy rich its ok if everyone is using something in the NFL.

That would certainly help. I'm sure there would still be some that would try it though. Look at Baseball the third time is a lifetime ban but you're still seeing players who have been caught twice. Losing a whole year for first offense and their career for the second i think would go a long way in deterring this.

I think it would help but someone's always going to try and get ahead of the game then when the game catches up - find a loophole in the process.

Ryan Braun had enough testosterone in his body to lap the field in the Tour 'de France and got away with it.

He won't be the last.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »

Buster Olney is speculating that the Yanks will cut ties with Rodriguez.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »

They're trying their hardest to have his contract voided, but I don't think they're going to be too successful in that venture.  There was a pretty good chance he wasn't going to give them too much bang for the enormous bucks he's owed, but now that looks like a certainty.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »

The "Olney" way that's going to happen is if they cut him and eat $114 million.

The contract void or recouping $$ from his insured contract are both highly unlikely scenarios.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 09:08:56 PM »

On a better subject..

MLB Network is running there annual Top 50 Prospects Special right now, good stuff.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »

And the Top 100:

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 02:41:43 AM »

They're trying their hardest to have his contract voided, but I don't think they're going to be too successful in that venture.  There was a pretty good chance he wasn't going to give them too much bang for the enormous bucks he's owed, but now that looks like a certainty.

Agreed, i don't see a snowball's chance in hell they find a way out of it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:08 AM »

The contract void or recouping $$ from his insured contract are both highly unlikely scenarios.

There's one other way:

Convince A-rod to retire.

I think that has a snowballs chance in hell, too. But probably a better chance than voiding the contract.

I'm OK with Arods days as a Yank being done....I made peace with that at the end of last season when it looked like they were going to get him out of town via trade or whatever because of production.  They're going to have to eat a good part of his contract if he continues to play and they want him out of NYC (or, at least, off the Yanks).

Now, Arod is denying it in the strongest way possible.  Not that I believe him.....largely, I don't...but I do want to see how this plays out.  Drug dealers aren't super reliable sources, either.  Sad that I'd trust the word of the dealer any more than Arods...but I do (if only a bit more) so there you go.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:13:33 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

There's one other way:

I think that has a snowballs chance in hell, too. But probably a better chance than voiding the contract.

I'm OK with Arods days as a Yank being done....I made peace with that at the end of last season when it looked like they were going to get him out of town via trade or whatever because of production.  They're going to have to eat a good part of his contract if he continues to play and they want him out of NYC (or, at least, off the Yanks).

Now, Arod is denying it in the strongest way possible.  Not that I believe him.....largely, I don't...but I do want to see how this plays out.  Drug dealers aren't super reliable sources, either.  Sad that I'd trust the word of the dealer any more than Arods...but I do (if only a bit more) so there you go.
In A-Rod's defense.  If he WAS using HGH, or other assorted PED's the last few years, they certainly didn't work too well.  His production slipped greatly, as did his health.  Isn't that what HGH is used to prevent?  I'd use that as a defense If I was him.   peace

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 06:03:05 PM »

There's one other way:

In A-Rod's defense.  If he WAS using HGH, or other assorted PED's the last few years, they certainly didn't work too well.  His production slipped greatly, as did his health.  Isn't that what HGH is used to prevent?  I'd use that as a defense If I was him.   peace

At the very least he needs a better dealer.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »

I think it's much closer to 4/4.  If there are performance enhancing substances that the NFL does not test for, I can't imagine that anyone is abstaining for the sake of being a boy scout.  Too much pressure, too much money at stake and maybe too dangerous to put yourself out there without PED assistance to get obliterated by the steroids-fueled opponents. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »

I think it's much closer to 4/4. 

I think you're probably right George, the NFL makes the US Postal Service Cycling Team look like it raced virtually "clean"...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 08:32:14 AM »

Little bit of other Yankee news:

They've apparently signed Travis Haffner to a 1 year deal, low base salary, with max value about 2 million.  He's supposed to fill the role Ibanez was SUPPOSED to fill last year (platoon DH) before Gardner got hurt.  Can't say I'm ecstatic about that move...but, it's not terrible.

Looks like the Yanks are planning to start with Austin Romine (their top catching prospect) in AAA...which means, I guess, the plan is for Cervelli and Stewart to catch.  That's going to hurt.....Could maybe Girardi come out of retirement, instead?  Or maybe try to convince Pudge Rodriguez to come out of retirement.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 01:44:52 PM »

The Miami/ARod thing is getting uglier, here's the latest:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/02/01/alex-rodriguez-miami-clinic-performance-enhancing-drugs-mlb/1883861/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: