Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:37:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227804 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  New Book by Craig Duswalt
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Book by Craig Duswalt  (Read 20188 times)
Cooker
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: August 09, 2013, 02:22:56 PM »

http://www.amazon.ca/Welcome-Jungle-Unauthorized-Wallabies-Extermination/dp/1939529808/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376067174&sr=8-4&keywords=axl+rose

When Im Gone.............
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »

This'll be entertaining, but, judging from his talks, I doubt it will be the gossip-fueled insider info. some people are clamoring for.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
Cooker
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »

This place is dead.

When Im Gone.............
Nightrained
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »

To be someone so close to Axl to release a book  that is unauthorized or not endorsed by Axl's makes it sounds very suspicious. 

It could be really interesting, but if this is done behind Axl's back, it could be backstabbing from someone who was close to him.

Hopefully it's not another Mick Wall garbage.

EDIT MAY 2014? why is it even announced already!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:01:20 PM by Nightrained » Logged
dolphins
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »

It would be a great read as long as, like someone else said, it's not backstabbing & negative but rather some of the more unusual lives the band had compared to us 9-5ers. The moth video on youtube is an example of a funny story which was well told & doesn't make Axl look foolish but certainly eccentric which, no doubt, is why he is so popular.

We don't want the gossipy stuff the media love but more the stories that will make us laugh, I'm sure there are many that can be told without offending any of the band members.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »

"We don't want the gossipy stuff"
Ok, the sheep have spoken. As for the rest of us, we want the gossipy stuff. As long as it's true.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
dolphins
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:04:19 PM »

"We don't want the gossipy stuff"
Ok, the sheep have spoken. As for the rest of us, we want the gossipy stuff. As long as it's true.

Gossip is just that, gossip. It's hardly ever true as it's like chinese whispers - the more it's told the more it's exagerated.
Anyway if it's gossip it's more likely lawyers will be involved & it won't hit the public at all, if that's what you want then just google gnr & read the internet cos it's all there.
FootSoldier
Headliner

Crawls Through Your Veins Like Millions of Spiders

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »

I have to say, I would probably read it... but... I am not really that interested in what happened during that time period as far as behind the scenes go. Would there really be anything that hasn't been covered in either Slash, Duff or Stevens books???

1000x more interested in knowing what happened after 1993, a detailed insiders look at 1993-2008 would be so much more appealing, then we may finally get some material that hasnt been spewed again and again over the past 20 years.

---GNR---
Melbourne, Australia - 15 & 16 June  2007
Adelaide, Australia - 07 December  2010
Las Vegas, USA -  09 & 10 November  2012
Melbourne, Australia - 16 & 17 March 2013
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 02:46:10 AM »

To be someone so close to Axl to release a book  that is unauthorized or not endorsed by Axl's makes it sounds very suspicious. 

It could be really interesting, but if this is done behind Axl's back, it could be backstabbing from someone who was close to him.

Hopefully it's not another Mick Wall garbage.

EDIT MAY 2014? why is it even announced already!
that mick wall book was horrible bullcrap. pain to read.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:52:41 AM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »

I like reading about making of songs/albums..
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »

Anything that is being released, be it a book, CD or DVD (yes even those chrome dreams ones)  hihi. Are in my opinion keeping the band out there, and can't do them any harm even if it's a bit of dirt that's not favourable for the band. The fact is, other than touring the current GN'R aren't doing a whole lot to get the band out there in terms of releasing CD's, DVD's or even books etc. So I'll take anything at the moment.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 04:04:04 PM »

On topic of the unofficial GN'R books...
I'm sure most people would rather not have their name out there if it's based on lies.

A majority of GN'R books are written by people who have had nothing or very little to do with the band.

Anybody with some free time can do research on their own. Read some articles, watch interviews on Youtube and put together a book.   hihi

Sensationalism sells. Nobody wants to read about how nice people are or how good things went at any given time. People seem to want the gossipy stuff.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:06:03 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
dolphins
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »

I'm sure most people would rather not have their name out there if it's based on lies.

A majority of GN'R books are written by people who have had nothing or very little to do with the band.

Anybody with some free time can do research on their own. Read some articles, watch interviews on Youtube and put together a book.   hihi

Sensationalism sells. Nobody wants to read about how nice people are or how good things went at any given time. People seem to want the gossipy stuff.

/jarmo

I'm with you on this, I'd love to see Axl as a guest on a cooking show trying to make something elaborate or on a game show with the Lebeis family like Family Feud, might sound bland & uninteresting to many but celebrities who do these shows come across as very likeable & funny.  Grin

I don't think Axl comes across as not nice but people seem to look for the bad side of others, from people who met him they say he is polite, funny and accommodating.

Oh and Jarmo, "gossipy stuff ' are my words.....just sayin'  rofl
FootSoldier
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »

Unofficial books about any artist are generally hugely biased based on the personal opinion of the author. Just look at the Jim Morrison biography written by Stephen Davis, he wrote material in that book that eluded to certain aspects of Jim's personal life that had previously been debunked by the other members of the band and people who knew Jim personally, yet he had in his mind what he wanted to write about and wrote it anyway.

The Craig Duswalt book I believe would certainly have elements that are based in fact. But. These elements will also be sandwiched between dramatizations purely designed to elicit a certain response, much like a good fiction novel.

In saying that, I will definitely read it and use it as almost a tool to see how it matches up with what Steven, Duff and Slash have written about during that same time.

---GNR---
dolphins
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 11:42:18 PM »

Unofficial books about any artist are generally hugely biased based on the personal opinion of the author. Just look at the Jim Morrison biography written by Stephen Davis, he wrote material in that book that eluded to certain aspects of Jim's personal life that had previously been debunked by the other members of the band and people who knew Jim personally, yet he had in his mind what he wanted to write about and wrote it anyway.

The Craig Duswalt book I believe would certainly have elements that are based in fact. But. These elements will also be sandwiched between dramatizations purely designed to elicit a certain response, much like a good fiction novel.

In saying that, I will definitely read it and use it as almost a tool to see how it matches up with what Steven, Duff and Slash have written about during that same time.

That's what I've done, read the other 3 books and no doubt will read this one if and when it comes out & the truth is whatever all the books agree on.
Everyone's recollection is their own and I doubt this will be a negative for Axl. I take people as they treat me & regardless of what some other forums have to say, I loved Beta when we met as she had a great sense of humour & didn't give you the idea she was trying to rush through meeting people. She gave her time to the ones who wanted to speak to her and have photos taken.
Would have loved to spend more time talking to her about Brazil & the work she did in her 'former' life before gnr, maybe next time. She certainly is interesting t talk to.
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 01:47:29 AM »

Isn't it weird to think that the subject's imprimatur is a sign of quality for a biography. I want the author to be honest and free.
FootSoldier
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 02:12:41 AM »

Isn't it weird to think that the subject's imprimatur is a sign of quality for a biography. I want the author to be honest and free.

freedom often comes at the expense of truth. Authorisation means accountability. If anyone is going to print and sell something they should definitely be accountable for every word that they say, and if they market it as a true behind the scenes tell all and it isnt exactly that, they should then be prepared to face the consequences.

---GNR---
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 03:36:36 AM »

I'm not expecting any type of dirt to come out of this book, just anecdotes about 'rock star life'. 
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 04:20:29 AM »

I remember that name. Can't remember which show off the top of my head but I've got a cd or dvd where Axl dedicates either Double Talkin Jive or Attitude to him.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 05:55:08 AM »

since im a illusion era junkie. i think im getting this.

it could be a great read.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 05:38:33 AM »

1st day buyer here  Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 09:10:52 AM »

Authorisation means accountability.

Really? Try and think of it in the context of politics or business. I'm not sure I'd want to read a book on biodiversity approved by Monsanto!

Authorisation can just as well mean censorship. I'm all for accountabilty, but there are media & courts for it.
gnrfan1797
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »

didn't all of the crew members sign something that says they can't do this?
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 01:04:46 PM »

Maybe it said "for 20 years"  Grin
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 03:06:52 PM »

Since there's no information about the book AFTER it has been released in 2014, I thought I'd bring this thread to life.

I got it last night at a used book store for 10 bucks. Looking forward to starting it soon. What do you guys think?

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2016, 03:19:46 PM »

I still have to pick this up.  I am always hesitant to buy books by non band members about that certain band, but from the bits and pieces I've read it doesn't seem like he trying to share any personal stories from band members or anything like that.  It also doesn't seem like he is trying to paint them in a bad light.  It looks like he is just  sharing some fun stories from the road during the "Use Your Illusion" Tour which I am always interested in reading about.  I actually forgot about this book, thanks for the reminder!
mookie
Opening Act

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »

Amen Jarmo...

/jarmo
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »

I've not read a word yet, just browsed through very quickly.

It seems like a side story book and gives me the impression that it will be half assed and maybe exaggerated stories or something?

It does have 3.5/5 star reviews on Amazon. Maybe it is good?

I'll let you guys know.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 02:52:19 PM »

I still have to pick this up.  I am always hesitant to buy books by non band members about that certain band, but from the bits and pieces I've read it doesn't seem like he trying to share any personal stories from band members or anything like that.  It also doesn't seem like he is trying to paint them in a bad light.  It looks like he is just  sharing some fun stories from the road during the "Use Your Illusion" Tour which I am always interested in reading about.  I actually forgot about this book, thanks for the reminder!

I ordered it on Kindle- not a long book, finished it in two hours,

Some amusing road stories- nothing too deep nor dark.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: