Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:22:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Proof that Slash & Duff lied about signing over the GNR name.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Proof that Slash & Duff lied about signing over the GNR name.  (Read 57860 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »

the general public doesn't really care how or why Axl got the name. they just have an issue with Axl using the name without Slash. end of story.

this would be true for most bands, but especially bands that are generally accepted as having 2 key members (as was the case for GnR). Axl/Slash is arguably one of the top duos in rock history. Aside from Page/Plant, Mick/Keith, i wouldn't put anyone else above them.

and most bands would have a hell of a time selling their band, minus one of the 2 key members, to the public. no one is going to get the benefit of the doubt, but especially someone like Axl who many people hated due to his reputation even when they were extremely popular.   

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »

the general public doesn't really care how or why Axl got the name. they just have an issue with Axl using the name without Slash. end of story.

this would be true for most bands, but especially bands that are generally accepted as having 2 key members (as was the case for GnR). Axl/Slash is arguably one of the top duos in rock history. Aside from Page/Plant, Mick/Keith, i wouldn't put anyone else above them.

and most bands would have a hell of a time selling their band, minus one of the 2 key members, to the public. no one is going to get the benefit of the doubt, but especially someone like Axl who many people hated due to his reputation even when they were extremely popular.   

I think for the most part this is very accurate.  That said, they might be a bit more lenient if Axl appeared to give a shit.  All this drama getting the name, and he does little with it.

What was that old Matt Sorum quote?  "He could either take the ball and run with it or drop the ball, and he dropped the ball"?  If I have some of the wording wrong, that was the gist.  And I can't see how that is wrong.

Had Axl gotten an album out quicker, built up more of a rep touring with a consistent band, he might have pulled it off.  it was never going to be what it was, but he could be doing well.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 01:59:59 PM »

I think for the most part this is very accurate.  That said, they might be a bit more lenient if Axl appeared to give a shit.  All this drama getting the name, and he does little with it.

What was that old Matt Sorum quote?  "He could either take the ball and run with it or drop the ball, and he dropped the ball"?  If I have some of the wording wrong, that was the gist.  And I can't see how that is wrong.

Had Axl gotten an album out quicker, built up more of a rep touring with a consistent band, he might have pulled it off.  it was never going to be what it was, but he could be doing well.

i totally agree. 100%. Axl was facing a tough task. but the new band could have been extremely successful. even with the delays and lack of communication/info, they were selling out venues in 2002.

Van Halen had a hell of a battle replacing their lead singer (another top rock duo). but they pulled it off. they were a marketing machine and more importantly, they made great music. part of me wanted to hate Van Hagar, but to this day i still crank their songs when i hear them. they kick ass. is it the same as having Diamond Dave??? no way! but good music is good music. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 02:16:12 PM »

I'm not so sure about that.  I remember when Duff was on the Opie and Anthony show and one of the specific things they asked him about was the contract issue and how and when it was signed.

It may not be something that ultimately sticks out in people's minds, but it seems to be a curiosity for me and other portions of the fanbase.  I think it has been used to help perpetuate a certain perception of Axl as well.  Whether or not that perception would hold regardless of this incident is another discussion and an entirely subjective one at that, but at the very least, if you're going to give examples to support a perception of someone - make sure they are true.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »

It may not be something that ultimately sticks out in people's minds, but it seems to be a curiosity for me and other portions of the fanbase.  I think it has been used to help perpetuate a certain perception of Axl as well.  Whether or not that perception would hold regardless of this incident is another discussion and an entirely subjective one at that, but at the very least, if you're going to give examples to support a perception of someone - make sure they are true.

I think its a very, very small niche portion of even the GNR fanbase that thinks this is the Zapruder film.  Let alone the general public, who knows nothing of it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 03:28:21 PM »

i totally agree. 100%. Axl was facing a tough task. but the new band could have been extremely successful. even with the delays and lack of communication/info, they were selling out venues in 2002.

Van Halen had a hell of a battle replacing their lead singer (another top rock duo). but they pulled it off. they were a marketing machine and more importantly, they made great music. part of me wanted to hate Van Hagar, but to this day i still crank their songs when i hear them. they kick ass. is it the same as having Diamond Dave??? no way! but good music is good music. 

As to your first point, I tend to agree.  People were worst of starving for a rock band at that time.  I think they'd have rolled with even a watered down Guns N' Roses.

But the Van Hagar point, that's the money point.  And if I'm not mistaken, when they did their first tour with Sammy, they were opening for Bon Jovi.  They still sell that marquee ad on the Ocean City boardwalk.  Because they knew it wasn't exactly the Van Halen people knew, so they had to put in some work and win the people back.

Hard to say that was the wrong play.  They had a new album out 2 years after their first one, and they were headliners again.  And even though people never stopped loving the Diamond Dave incarnation, they rolled with the 2.0 version of the band in the meantime.

It just kills me that Axl says in that interview with Kurt Loder right after "how do you rebuild something that was so big".  At the time, I, like most I assumed, though Axl did have some sort of plan.  Sadly, if he has a plan, he's still sitting on it.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »

I think its a very, very small niche portion of even the GNR fanbase that thinks this is the Zapruder film.  Let alone the general public, who knows nothing of it.
I'm not sure that's true on both counts.  You have multi-page threads on several boards dedicated to the topic.  As far as the general public knowing or not knowing, I don't know how you'd measure that, but I can think of two major publications that have put out stories repeating this story as it has been portrayed by Slash and Duff.

RS 2000:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=32

In the early nineties, Axl demanded and was granted sole control of the Guns N' Roses name. As to precisely where and when this happened, memories are fuzzy and contradictory, perhaps lost in the mists of rock & roll tour memory. Axl, backstage somewhere is said to have basically issued an ultimatum: He'd get the name of the band or he wouldn't perform. Papers memorializing this transfer were drawn up and guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan signed them.

Spin 1999:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=71

TOM ZUTAUT: On the eve of the tour, Axl told the rest of the band that the only way he would play was if they'd give ownership of the name to him. They were looking at canceling the tour and losing millions and millions of dollars, [so] they capitulated.

That doesn't even include Slash's comments and Duff's book.

So, I don't know how many people know or remember this, but the story certainly has been perpetuated for more than a decade.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »

I'm not sure that's true on both counts.  You have multi-page threads on several boards dedicated to the topic.  As far as the general public knowing or not knowing, I don't know how you'd measure that, but I can think of two major publications that have put out stories repeating this story as it has been portrayed by Slash and Duff.

Yeah, but even if you follow the conversation over there, its the same handful of folks.  And just as many people asking what all this is accomplishing.

General public?  I'm not sure they give Axl much thought, to be honest.  Ask most people their opinion, they tend to just think he's a strange cat.

nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »

Although I found Slash's book enlightening when it came out,it's not that accurate after all.
In fact,he was stoned every day back then and he shouldn't have remember anything.Duff's book as well.
The truth comes from the clear minded and sober which was Axl.
Plain and simple.

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »

I disagree that the truth comes from Axl because he was sober. There is always three sides to every story.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 11:01:04 PM »

Wait a minute I thought slash and duff discussion was forbidden in this section but because this subject is supposed to be pro Axl since they are "liars" guess it's ok? Ha

Like draguns said ... three sides to every story

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 04:17:26 AM »

Plain and simple.

Who is well known for his common & romantic point of view about the things of life hihi  rofl
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:22:24 AM by ITARocker » Logged
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 04:18:45 AM »

I disagree that the truth comes from Axl because he was sober. There is always three sides to every story.

My turn to disagree  Smiley
there are 2 sides.the correct and the fake.Pick one.

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 04:21:55 AM »

Plain and simple.

Who is well known for his common & romantic point of view about the things of life hihi  rofl

No if you're sarcastic,yes if you're right .who is well known to speak only the truth no matter what.
My Michelle for example  Wink

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 04:24:41 AM »

Plain and simple.

No if you're sarcastic,yes if you're right .who is well known to speak only the truth no matter what.
My Michelle for example  Wink

C'mon we're talking about a guy who could ban you forever from his life because in 1986 you didn't hand him a cigarette..

And try to sing a song about Axl Rose without being sued even if you tell the truth about him. (and your answer would be "which truth?")
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2013, 04:27:26 AM »

I never heard that adam sandler or matt damon got sued.or courtney love or whoever else made fun of him.

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »

I disagree because you can't always be either the hero or the victim in all your stories. 

Logically, there have to be some times you screwed up or the other side has a point.

snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2013, 09:32:03 AM »

Nope, there are 3 sides.

1) The correct version
2) The fake version
3) The truth

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
gnrfan1797
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:58 AM »

Nope, there are 3 sides.

1) The correct version
2) The fake version
3) The truth

This could go on for ever. But there is only ever two sides to any story. The truth and the lie.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2013, 10:23:29 AM »

Not sure how many people care how the name was actually obtained.
I think people were initially shocked/confused to hear that Axl thought it was a good idea to continue on as GN'R w/o the other architects behind it's sound/success.

Judging by how little he has since accomplished, the shock has worn off, but I'd say the confusion was and still is very much warranted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: