Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:50:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses Facebook Update
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses Facebook Update  (Read 32295 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2014, 02:37:27 PM »

They have a 10 page thread on how Duff is going to fill in for Tommy for some shows LOL

its always the same posters who ruin every thread there.... with their stupid ax's fat comments and the other side stating how Ron and DJ play Slashs songs better than he ever could

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »

My favorites are the ones yelling for Paradise City since the start of the show.  hihi

Hahahaha.

Yeah, have they never seen a show?  Heard a bootleg?

That also goes for the people that think there is another song.  Nevermind all that confetti dropping from the ceiling.

Trying to understand your definition of a band.
Since it's not a group of people who perform music together.... Especially if they've done it for a while...

I don't think its all that radical.  Its a group of musicians that create, record, and release original material.

The argument that started all this is that its hard to consider this current line-up that sort of band.  Mainly because the current group has not done any of that.

Let's attack this another way.  I consider the 'Chinese Democracy' line-up to be :

Axl
Bucket
Robin
Richard
Tommy
Brain
Dizzy
Chris

In other words, the circa 2002 band.  If those guys were still together, we are not having this conversation.  They would be Guns N' Roses.  They created, recorded, and released an album and toured behind it.  Yes, they would still be playing certain songs from the back catalog that they had nothing to do with, but they would have at least the most current album as a testament to what they are capable of and had done.  And presumably, more albums to follow.  With each subsequent one, we would have more of an idea of what they are about.

The current band :

Axl
DJ
Richard
Ron
Tommy
Frank
Dizzy
Chris

...we got nothing.  What they are capable of and all about remains to be seen.  A legit 50% of that roster is doing 25 songs a night they had zero input in creating.

Hence, touring band.  At least, as of this date.

I agree completely.... but it is what it is... cant get buckethead back I dont think....

certain people dont like this... but you spelled it out clearly

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »

And I don't think its some sort of diss.  It's certainly not what I'm going for, I promise you.

Just last night I listened to one of my bootlegs from the 2010 tour as I worked on other things.  I swear on my eyes I am a fan of this current group.  I'm not shitting on them.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

And I don't think its some sort of diss.  It's certainly not what I'm going for, I promise you.

Just last night I listened to one of my bootlegs from the 2010 tour as I worked on other things.  I swear on my eyes I am a fan of this current group.  I'm not shitting on them.

I am with you... ive enjoyed the shows with bucket, Robin, Brain / dj, ron, frank equally

but its a completely different band from the one that put CD together

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »

That also goes for the people that think there is another song.  Nevermind all that confetti dropping from the ceiling.

Well, it happened in India!

I don't think its all that radical.  Its a group of musicians that create, record, and release original material.

So using that definition, GN'R wasn't a band until they released their first EP.
Also, GN'R wasn't a band between 1991 and 1993 since they only recorded cover songs?

See, that definition is confusing!
You need to fine tune it. I'm sure you'll say something like "it's a group of musicians where _____ (insert percentage) were present to create, record, and release original material". Wink

The current band :

Axl
DJ
Richard
Ron
Tommy
Frank
Dizzy
Chris

...we got nothing.  What they are capable of and all about remains to be seen.  A legit 50% of that roster is doing 25 songs a night they had zero input in creating.

Hence, touring band.  At least, as of this date.

But still a band.  hihi

Anyhow, just because you think Ron didn't "create" enough for Chinese Democracy, even though he's on every track, doesn't make it a fact.... Seven out of eight guys were in the band in the time when the album was created, recorded and released. Guys who joined in 2006 added their parts to songs that the 2002 line up had recorded.

If you want to listen to a GN'R album featuring Bumblefoot, you know you can. So he didn't get song writing credits, but neither did Matt Sorum or Dizzy Reed on the Illusions.

No matter how you try to make up definitions of the word band, most of this band helped create Chinese Democracy. True, the songs were written before some of them joined. So were many songs on previous albums too. The album you own would not be the same album without their playing. No matter if you think the song changed or not. Their playing is on there. They helped make it what it is.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »

Same here.  I'm a big fan of Shackler's Revenge.  Ron's fretless work, and video-game style tapping at the end blows my mind with every time I hear it.  A few years ago when Ron said that he recorded for "a good handful" of tracks that were not on Chinese, including Atlas Shrugged, I thought, "Fuckin' A, bring em' on!", only to get stone walled for several years with still no sign of the next album.

DJ's solo songs have impressed me & make me hopeful that he could put a really neat "classic" style spin on some of the older Chinese era tracks slated for the next album, which he will no doubt appear on, should they actually materialize as part of an official release.

These guys have the chops.  The songs are there.  We just need something to light a fire under all the gatekeepers collective asses.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:56:08 PM by sofine11 » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »

I'm a big fan of Shackler's Revenge.  

Me too.  One of my favorites on the album.

That one and 'I.R.S.' I really, really like.  Yet both songs seem to take a lot of shit on message boards.  It bums me out.

Really, the only tunes I didn't care for on the album were 'Rhiad' (I find it to be a rambling mess of a song with no tune) and 'Sorry' (which I find pretty juvenile, lyrically).

What's weird, at least to me, is that 'Sorry' is pretty obviously about the band break-up and I find it pretty juvenile and petty.

But, in my opinion, 'I.R.S.' is also about the band break-up, but I find that one well written and clever.  And still think it should have been the lead single.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »

I'm a big fan of Shackler's Revenge.  

Me too.  One of my favorites on the album.

That one and 'I.R.S.' I really, really like.  Yet both songs seem to take a lot of shit on message boards.  It bums me out.

Really, the only tunes I didn't care for on the album were 'Rhiad' (I find it to be a rambling mess of a song with no tune) and 'Sorry' (which I find pretty juvenile, lyrically).

What's weird, at least to me, is that 'Sorry' is pretty obviously about the band break-up and I find it pretty juvenile and petty.

But, in my opinion, 'I.R.S.' is also about the band break-up, but I find that one well written and clever.  And still think it should have been the lead single.

IRS, is absolutely one of the best tracks on the album and is in my opinion, neck and neck with Better as far as the best "rock tracks" on the album.   I remember both leaked at the same time and the response was overwhelmingly positive.  Heck, IRS made the charts the week it leaked.

I understand the backlash against Shackler's, as it is a very non-traditional rock track.  But, if you listen to it understanding that (despite the name) this is a different band from 1985-93, and take it for what it is, it's a really fun, wild, track full of cool guitar work.  A lot to appreciate.  I feel that way about a lot of the tracks on Chinese.
Avalona
Opening Act

« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »

you boys totally lost me on page 7 somewhere. just a few thoughts on what I crossread to here.
anybody read this article on the jared leto/30stm hassle with their former label and manager?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/natalierobehmed/2013/12/04/jared-leto-wages-war-on-the-music-industry/

it also points out that touring won't get you rich-er. so I guess there are 2 reasons to tour. either promoting or making the fans happy. considering the fact touring is hard work and there are a ton of GNR fans out there who will kill in order to see them live, I always considered them touring as making fans happy? It's something you need to be devoted to.

also writing new material is a creative process. you can't enforce it. and there are several factors that play into that process (e.g. happiness, heartache, fear, loss, grief, love,...) what gets you started? and after that you will actually have to like your own work enough to go publish it; unless you want to release stuff for the mere act although you are not perfectly happy with it? although many others would probably be very happy with it... oh well.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: