Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 136862 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #400 on: December 13, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »

The didi move from the Yanks is just a head scratcher. They had that type of player already under contract. His biggest benefit is...hes cheap?

They have, literally, no offense. The bullpen does them no good if they are losing every game 2-0.

They need an entirely new infield. Tex can stay for his defense. Everyone else currently on the infield roster should be replaced, or playing off the bench. Terrible.

I honestly expect the Yanks to see their first year in the cellar of the al east in a long time.

They are also not filling that stadium with their current projected lineup....
Yep i'm afraid we're in for an extended period of really bad teams like in the 80s.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #401 on: December 13, 2014, 06:36:57 PM »

The didi move from the Yanks is just a head scratcher. They had that type of player already under contract. His biggest benefit is...hes cheap?

They have, literally, no offense. The bullpen does them no good if they are losing every game 2-0.

They need an entirely new infield. Tex can stay for his defense. Everyone else currently on the infield roster should be replaced, or playing off the bench. Terrible.

I honestly expect the Yanks to see their first year in the cellar of the al east in a long time.

Yep i'm afraid we're in for an extended period of really bad teams like in the 80s.

I don't think it'll get that bad but they've got teams in the division that have passed them (for now) for sure.

Their drafts and sub par player development system over the past 10-15 years have caught up to them, couple that with some really bad long term deals with FA's and that's tough to overcome.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #402 on: December 13, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »

I don't think it'll get that bad but they've got teams in the division that have passed them (for now) for sure.

Their drafts and sub par player development system over the past 10-15 years have caught up to them, couple that with some really bad long term deals with FA's and that's tough to overcome.

Probably not quite that bad but there is gonna be some very lean years ahead for sure. We have pitching and that will keep us in games but you can't win if you can't score.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #403 on: December 13, 2014, 11:13:23 PM »

The funny thing is...the player development HASN'T been that bad. The bigger problem has been hanging on to them, snd not trading them away. Especially young arms. People forget some of the arms that were in the yanks farm system (like  Ian kennedy) who ended up traded away. I mean....gardner, robertson, hughes ( who played well for Detroit), austin jackson.....they've had good mlb talent come through that system!

But their current mnor league system is definitely empty....the cupboard is bare. Thats part of the problem...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:15:16 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #404 on: December 15, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »

And..the Yanks sign...Chase Headly.

It's not a terrible move...but it ISN'T going to help their anemic offense, and combined with the Didi move...well, it's not good..  This infield is going to hit like wet noodles......

I totally understand NOT going out and signing every big free agent bat on the market.  But..surely we could find ONE player to play in the infield who's better than a .225 to .250 hitter?

Blech.....

Tex at 1st, Martin Prado at 2nd, Didi at SS, Headly at 3rd, McCann catching.  That infield is....defensively good, offensively poor (and I think that's being kind).

About the only positive is we can pretty much be assured that Arod (if he plays) is being pegged as a DH.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #405 on: December 19, 2014, 01:34:33 PM »

I'm now convinced that Brian Cashman has actually begun to allow chimps to make their personell decisions.

On no planet is Prado/Phelps for Garrett/Eovaldi a good trade for them, performance wise.

Unless they have some sort of plan to sign a big bat to play 2nd base....this makes zero sense to me.  You downgrade in every possible category, AND Garett doesn't play 2nd (he plays RF and 1B) by making that trade.  It's only positive function is that it dumps payroll. Brendan Ryan playing 2nd is not a "good option" at this point...

What the serious fuck??
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:41:22 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #406 on: December 19, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »

I'm now convinced that Brian Cashman has actually begun to allow chimps to make their personell decisions.

On no planet is Prado/Phelps for Garrett/Eovaldi a good trade for them, performance wise.

Unless they have some sort of plan to sign a big bat to play 2nd base....this makes zero sense to me.  You downgrade in every possible category, AND Garett doesn't play 2nd (he plays RF and 1B) by making that trade.  It's only positive function is that it dumps payroll. Brendan Ryan playing 2nd is not a "good option" at this point...

What the serious fuck??

Only thing i can think of is he's getting ready for a serious rebuilding.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #407 on: December 20, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »

What the serious fuck??
Seemed like an odd move to me too. Prado is a nice little player. Maybe they'll make a run at Asdrubal Cabrera? They have retooled their rotation to be much younger over the last few years, and that was somewhat needed. Sounds like they're pretty high on Eovaldi and think they can make him into a better pitcher. Make him miss a few more bats. He seems to have the stuff to do it. But I agree, that offense is filled with question marks.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #408 on: December 20, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »

What the serious fuck??
Seemed like an odd move to me too. Prado is a nice little player. Maybe they'll make a run at Asdrubal Cabrera? They have retooled their rotation to be much younger over the last few years, and that was somewhat needed. Sounds like they're pretty high on Eovaldi and think they can make him into a better pitcher. Make him miss a few more bats. He seems to have the stuff to do it. But I agree, that offense is filled with question marks.

That's an understatement lol. Unless he has something good up his sleeve its another year at least of no playoffs.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #409 on: December 21, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »

The Yankees just made the best off season move of any team in the big leagues.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24907425

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #410 on: December 21, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »

The Yankees just made the best off season move of any team in the big leagues.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24907425

Major props to them for that.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #411 on: December 26, 2014, 08:41:27 PM »

Well looks like we won't have Kuroda next year. It appears he's opted to return to Japan.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #412 on: December 29, 2014, 08:02:28 AM »

Well looks like we won't have Kuroda next year. It appears he's opted to return to Japan.

I'm not surprised.  There were pretty strong rumors to that effect, late last year: That he wanted to pitch one more year, in Japan, and then retire.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #413 on: December 29, 2014, 03:39:38 PM »

Now we've made another pitching trade with the Padres. Has Cashman forgotten offense and defense are part of baseball as well?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #414 on: January 02, 2015, 07:41:20 AM »

Now we've made another pitching trade with the Padres. Has Cashman forgotten offense and defense are part of baseball as well?

It sure seems that way.

Not that I'm opining the loss off Banuelos.  He MAY turn into something approximating his initial projections, eventually.  But he's a guy coming back from Tommy John...it's going to be "awhile" before he's MLB ready.

The return for him is pretty much equivalent.  The two pitchers they got back are solid prospects who likely have value in the minor league system NOW, rather than whenvever Manny is ready.

But...your point is a good one: They have almost NO offense in that lineup. We'll see what they manage the rest of the off season.  Maybe this prospect loading is to use as fodder for a future bat.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #415 on: January 02, 2015, 04:08:47 PM »

It sure seems that way.

Not that I'm opining the loss off Banuelos.  He MAY turn into something approximating his initial projections, eventually.  But he's a guy coming back from Tommy John...it's going to be "awhile" before he's MLB ready.

The return for him is pretty much equivalent.  The two pitchers they got back are solid prospects who likely have value in the minor league system NOW, rather than whenvever Manny is ready.

But...your point is a good one: They have almost NO offense in that lineup. We'll see what they manage the rest of the off season.  Maybe this prospect loading is to use as fodder for a future bat.
It could be that's why he's loading up on the prospects to get some offense. He better do something quick cause spring training is fast approaching.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #416 on: January 03, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »

....quick cause spring training is fast approaching.

Time for pilf to start the 2015 season discussion thread!

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #417 on: January 04, 2015, 03:43:27 PM »

yep less than 100 days to pitchers and catchers report.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #418 on: January 04, 2015, 04:16:53 PM »

yep less than 100 days to pitchers and catchers report.

T minus 40 something and counting!

Feb 19 for the Cards
Feb 20 for the Yanks

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #419 on: January 05, 2015, 10:30:18 AM »

As requested, I present the 2015 thread!!

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=66094.new#new

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: