Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:35:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 NFL Season
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 NFL Season  (Read 79238 times)
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2015, 03:09:49 PM »

Looks like the Pats might be up to their old tricks. They're being investigated for deflating the balls to make them easier to throw and catch in inclement weather.
A couple problems with that theory. They employed a run heavy game plan. And when they did pass, Brady threw a few wobblers and they had quite a few drops. Just another instance of other teams being jealous of the Patriots success and looking for any reason why they're able to win other than, they're just better than most teams.

Baltimore blows two 14 point leads and cries about deceptive plays, when New England did absolutely nothing illegal. Like Brady said, maybe they should read the rule book next time. Now the Colts get blown out for the 3rd straight time by the Pats and it's because they let some air out of the balls. My advice to the Colts. Get some guys who can play defense and show some semblance of being able to stop the run. Pats could've beaten them playing with a beach ball on Sunday.

Now, on to Seattle!

I'm no Pats apologist, but this DeflateGate, or whatever they're calling it, is just so stupid.  The officials handle the ball on every single possession, I think they'd notice if the balls the Pats used on offense were deflated to such a degree that it would give any material advantage. 

That said, go Seattle!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »

They did notice. There was a delay at the start of the second half.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2015, 03:43:12 PM »

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12198323/indianapolis-colts-interception-led-question-whether-new-england-patriots-deflated-balls
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »

The officials didn't notice, the Colts did; they complained about the ball they intercepted in the 2nd quarter.  Once they complain, the officials have to go through all the required due process. 
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2015, 11:38:14 PM »

And it now appears they're guilty. 11 of the balls were 2lbs under weight.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »

2lbs per square inch, when the standard is 13.5, that's not so easy to notice unless you're going out of your way to look for it.  In any case,  I didn't see that they mentioned any evidence that the Pats deflated the balls.  For example, I understand that a very cold ball can lose some air pressure when it's warmed up.  Also, the balls may have been slightly deflated to begin with and nobody noticed. 
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:58 AM »

The officials didn't notice, the Colts did; they complained about the ball they intercepted in the 2nd quarter.  Once they complain, the officials have to go through all the required due process. 
Word is, the Ravens tipped the Colts off. They thought some of the balls were suspect the week before. The refs apparently check the balls before the game and at halftime. So you'd have to assume they were fine when they were turned over to the Patriots and then someone deflated them. I'm not sure how the refs didn't notice during the game. Maybe that points to the fact that it wasn't that big a difference.

Also, since this story has come out, a lot more related stories have come out. Aaron Rodgers said he likes to overinflate balls. USC routinely deflated balls back in the day. Brad Johnson paid someone $7500 to doctor all 100 balls in the Bucs Super Bowl win over the Raiders.

And I guess deflating the football may lead to better ball security, so it could help in the running game. I've heard it could help the kicking game too.

Now, I don't think the deflating of the balls had anything to do with the outcome of the game. And to his credit, Colts TE Dwayne Allen said just that. QB's like the football a certain way and they're allowed to work on them ahead of time. But, with all that being said, it would appear that they broke a rule. And you can argue how much of an advantage is given by a deflated ball. But there must be something to it, if teams do it. At halftime they led 17-7 when they were supposedly using a deflated ball. The balls were tested at halftime. I'd have to think they'd pump them back up, no? They outscored them 28-0 in the second half. Did they deflate the balls again before the half started? Were the balls tested after the game and found to be deflated? Still questions to be answered.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think this is a big deal. It's a big deal because it's the Patriots. And they've brought that on themselves due to Spygate. They're under a microscope. So they deserve to be punished if found guilty, and right now that seems highly likely. The question is, how severe is the penalty? A hefty fine? Loss of draft picks? Belichick suspended for a year? For the Super Bowl? IF Bill is suspended, wouldn't it have to be for the Super Bowl? How do you let him coach that game and then suspend him for next year?

All I know, is that I laughed this off as being ridiculous initially driving home from Foxboro Monday morning. It has become a big deal. I also initially thought this would work to the Patriots advantage, using the whole "us against the world" mantra. But now, this could work against them if found guilty. It could be a pretty big distraction. It could get in their heads. The NFL could do the Patriots no favors in the Super Bowl. Maybe nudge the refs to swallow their whistles for the Seahawks, while not letting the Pats get away with anything.

What a mess!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:43:10 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2015, 10:51:11 AM »

2lbs per square inch, when the standard is 13.5, that's not so easy to notice unless you're going out of your way to look for it.  In any case,  I didn't see that they mentioned any evidence that the Pats deflated the balls.  For example, I understand that a very cold ball can lose some air pressure when it's warmed up.  Also, the balls may have been slightly deflated to begin with and nobody noticed. 

The refs are supposed to check the PSI of the balls before the game and then they're given back to the teams 2 hours before the game. The teams are not supposed to alter the balls at that point. It's my understanding that both sets of balls were tested at halftime and the Colts balls were fine. 11 of the Pats balls were 2 lbs. per square inch under and the 12th was less deflated, but deflated nonetheless. So something had to have happened that was a little out of the ordinary, if the refs did their jobs properly leading up to the game. And I'd have to think they would. Then again, it wouldn't be near the first time the refs screwed something up.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:46 PM »

I think you're right it wouldn't have affected the outcome of the game. They didn't have to do this to win the game. I had them winning easily playing fair so why even try it? Yes it can help make the ball easier to catch or hold on to but the Colts still played like crap and weren't gonna win regardless.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2015, 04:26:08 PM »

I think you're right it wouldn't have affected the outcome of the game. They didn't have to do this to win the game. I had them winning easily playing fair so why even try it? Yes it can help make the ball easier to catch or hold on to but the Colts still played like crap and weren't gonna win regardless.
i think a lot of people agree that the amount of air in the ball has very little to do with the outcome of any game. All QB's like the balls a certain way. Rodgers likes his with a little more air in them. Maybe Brady likes the balls a little lighter in bad weather games. Not to excuse the Patriots because it sounds like this sort of thing happens all the time and has little bearing on how the game is played. BUT, the Patriots have been caught breaking the rules before, so you'd think they'd be a little more careful in situations like this. And for that reason, I think they'll be punished, if indeed they're found guilty. If this was a first offense, I don't think it'd be a big deal at all.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »

Well i don't know if it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I believe in the rule book it states the penalty for altering the balls is including but not limited to a 25k fine. So even a first offense would at least net them a 25k fine if they are found to be guilty.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »

The Patriots clearly have entitlement issues and probably wanted to do everything possible to ensure they won that game.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »

Well i don't know if it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I believe in the rule book it states the penalty for altering the balls is including but not limited to a 25k fine. So even a first offense would at least net them a 25k fine if they are found to be guilty.
25k would be a slap on the wrist and many would be outraged. I heard today that there was a game earlier this year in Minnesota I believe, where they were caught heating their balls by a heater. Nothing was done to them. I think it was Minnesota. I apologize if i have the wrong team. Point is, I'm sure that's not allowed either, but no penalty was given. What about Aaron Rodgers telling Simms and Nantz that he overinflated his balls, and them bringing that up during the Packers/Pats game this year? Why wasn't there a full scale investigation on that one?

It's only a big deal because they got caught, and it was the Patriots. Any other team, the league likely looks the other way. And this wouldn't happen to any other team because other teams aren't monitored like the Patriots are.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2015, 07:00:16 PM »

The Patriots clearly have entitlement issues and probably wanted to do everything possible to ensure they won that game.
I'll just go ahead and throw out the obvious thought that if they're found guilty, this probably isn't the first instance of them doing this. Maybe they do it every game. Maybe they do it for bad weather games. But I'd find it hard to believe that all of a sudden they felt like deflating the balls would help them beat a team they destroyed the past two times. Doesn't add up to me.

Hope this gets resolved soon because there's a lot of misinformation going around and people just formulating their own theories at this time. Not saying I blame them, but right now we don't know the what's, why's, who's, and how's. Not even close.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2015, 07:10:33 PM »

25k would be a slap on the wrist and many would be outraged. I heard today that there was a game earlier this year in Minnesota I believe, where they were caught heating their balls by a heater. Nothing was done to them. I think it was Minnesota. I apologize if i have the wrong team. Point is, I'm sure that's not allowed either, but no penalty was given. What about Aaron Rodgers telling Simms and Nantz that he overinflated his balls, and them bringing that up during the Packers/Pats game this year? Why wasn't there a full scale investigation on that one?

It's only a big deal because they got caught, and it was the Patriots. Any other team, the league likely looks the other way. And this wouldn't happen to any other team because other teams aren't monitored like the Patriots are.

Those should've been investigated just as this is. No free passes.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2015, 07:12:34 PM »

I'll just go ahead and throw out the obvious thought that if they're found guilty, this probably isn't the first instance of them doing this. Maybe they do it every game. Maybe they do it for bad weather games. But I'd find it hard to believe that all of a sudden they felt like deflating the balls would help them beat a team they destroyed the past two times. Doesn't add up to me.

Hope this gets resolved soon because there's a lot of misinformation going around and people just formulating their own theories at this time. Not saying I blame them, but right now we don't know the what's, why's, who's, and how's. Not even close. =

That would make sense they've done it before. They just happened to get caught this time. I hope so too. We should be focusing on the Super Bowl and not this, but since it happened in such a important game the league was really left with no choice but to investigate.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:15:08 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2015, 08:04:11 PM »

A report has just surface that the patriots switched to a backup set of balls that were properly inflated in the second half and were inspected by the officials. This of course still leads us to the questions of what happened to the originals before the game or during the first half.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2015, 11:15:28 PM »

I'll just go ahead and throw out the obvious thought that if they're found guilty, this probably isn't the first instance of them doing this.

If so, don't you feel a bit foolish for continuing to support a team of clearly morally bankrupt cheaters?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »

I'll just go ahead and throw out the obvious thought that if they're found guilty, this probably isn't the first instance of them doing this.

If so, don't you feel a bit foolish for continuing to support a team of clearly morally bankrupt cheaters?

I don?t.

Personally I?m just enjoying watching the greatest coach, and arguably the greatest QB (personally I think Montana is #1 as it stands today) to ever play the game.
It?s not going to last forever, so I?m not going to take it for granted and worry about the amount of air that was/wasn?t in the football in a game the Patriots man handled their opponent by 30+ points.

If you?re not a fan of the Patriots, it?s more reason for you to dislike them.
From a Patriot?s fan?s point of view, the majority of negative comments/backlash is coming from fans of opposing teams.
Listening to players, coaches and people in the know, it doesn?t sound like the big competitive advantage that opposing fans want it to be, so they can put an asterisk next to their wins, or have another ?gate? to discuss ad nauseam.

It is disappointing that it is dominating the sports pages and taking away from what should be, on paper a great Super Bowl.
I have a feeling it?s going to be another stressful one to watch, but I feel better about the Pat's chances than the 2012 squad, where they were just playing with house money. The return of a legitimate defense is a welcome sight.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2015, 10:24:40 AM »

If the NfL was going to suspend Lynch for the title game if he wore GOLD cleats....

Then how does Brady get to play when he knowingly was involved in cheating the game? They would never deflate the balls like that if Brady didn't want it that way.

Of course that will never happen because he is too big of a star and lets face it...... not a thug like Lynch is. 

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: