Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:43:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Goodbye Ron (???)
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 125 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodbye Ron (???)  (Read 395466 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1700 on: March 24, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »

It's clearly not a band, bands write together in the same room and "jam" that cannot variate from my personal preference and definition.

Bands write, record, and release music.

Or, at least start to take a serious look at what they are doing in that regard.

Sorry, no.  That might be what you (we) want specific bands to do, but...it's not really what a band does.

Bands play music together.  Technically (and yes, we're playing the semantic game), that's it.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1701 on: March 24, 2015, 09:40:46 AM »

I realize now I was late to game on this

of course he should expect to hear GNR questions... but if he was under the impression the guy was advised not to ask... then I certainly understand his frustration.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1702 on: March 24, 2015, 09:43:43 AM »

No, I had the same reaction.  I'm just not sure how realistic that all is. 

When you played with one of the most famous people in rock for 8 years, its going to be brought up.  All due respect, anything he can tell you about Axl Rose or GNR is going to be far more interesting to far more people than anything about a solo album few will ever hear.

Oh, I agree...not realistic.

But when the first batch of questions were GNR and AOA related.....(and there WERE Ron-specific questions in there..not just Axl and Scott questions)...he got pissed, interjected his own "question" about his solo album, and bolted.

I'll tell you this: If he imposes the same "rules" to every interviewer, via his publicist.....he's going to get a lot fewer interview opportunities to promote his stuff.  Because Ron Thal's solo album, current release or not, isn't THE MOST INTERESTING topic, that's going to drive magazine buys or web hits.  It's just not.....

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1703 on: March 24, 2015, 09:44:39 AM »

I realize now I was late to game on this

of course he should expect to hear GNR questions... but if he was under the impression the guy was advised not to ask... then I certainly understand his frustration.

Sure. But it should be directed at your publicist.  Not the guy asking the questions.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1704 on: March 24, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »

Or, at least start to take a serious look at what they are doing in that regard.

Sorry, no.  That might be what you (we) want specific bands to do, but...it's not really what a band does.

Bands play music together.  Technically (and yes, we're playing the semantic game), that's it.

We sure are.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1705 on: March 24, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »

We sure are.

Yeah, but...it's no less a valid point because it's based on semantics.

There are TONS of bands that play live music together who don't write/record/release music.  At all levels of the "fame" spectrum. From the local dads Sunday garage band who plays a couple shows a year at the local dive bar to the "one hit wonder" rock band still touring on the laurels from the late 80's.

True?

They are still bands. 

Now, you can argue any one of those bands coulda, shoulda, woulda.....but they're all still bands.

GnR are still a band.  So we can drop that negative connotation pretty much straight away. It IS what they are.  If you're looking for an economy of language, here...it's just a poor one.

If you want to argue whether they are a commercially productive entity...that's different and have at it.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #1706 on: March 24, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »

There are TONS of bands that play live music together who don't write/record/release music.  At all levels of the "fame" spectrum. From the local dads Sunday garage band who plays a couple shows a year at the local dive bar to the "one hit wonder" rock band still touring on the laurels from the late 80's.

True?

They are still bands.

Dude...seriously?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1707 on: March 24, 2015, 09:56:10 AM »

Dude...seriously?

Yes, seriously.

Saying "GnR isn't a band"....I mean..are YOU serious? 

Together again,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1708 on: March 24, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »

Of course he's serious. He's a fan. Remember?  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #1709 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »

That is a big climb down though, from a band which released four original albums in their heyday, one of which is commonly regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time. In a semantic sense you are correct but, are you admitting that Guns have completely resigned themselves to being a 'golden oldies' act?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #1710 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:35 AM »

Dude...seriously?

Yes, seriously.

Saying "GnR isn't a band"....I mean..are YOU serious? 

I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

There is tapdancing around an inconvenient issue you'd rather not address.  That's one thing.  Taking it to completely absurd levels is quite another.

Any discussion of GNR is discussion of a (theoretically) professional operation.  Its a business at this level.  These are not 5 guys playing the corner bar for $50 a head and all the beer they can drink.  Not the same ballpark, not the same league, not even the same fuckin' sport, as a wise man from Inglewood once said.

Comparisons to guys in bars and one hit wonders from the 80s is laughable.  First off, since when is it an acceptable comparison to compare GNR to a nostalgia act touring off past laurels?  We have people here we need to peel off he fucking ceiling when those worlds are spoken.  Now you want to make them GNR's peers?

All to avoid having to address that this particular band doesn't have much productivity?  

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1711 on: March 24, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »

That is a big climb down though, from a band which released four original albums in their heyday, one of which is commonly regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time. In a semantic sense you are correct but, are you admitting that Guns have completely resigned themselves to being a 'golden oldies' act?

I'm not saying anything about their level of productivity.  I'll leave others to debate what they think should and shouldn't be an acceptable level of commercially released material to be considered a commercially successful entity.

I'm saying that saying, implying, or leaving to inference that GnR isn't a band is incorrect.

Together again,
mortismurphy
« Reply #1712 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:07 AM »

If we changed the term to, 'signed band', would that help?
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #1713 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »

What's the problem? They released Chinese Democracy in 2008.
They just released a live album a few months ago... did any of you "fans" even buy it?
Next up is the second half of Chinese, and then the remix album.
That's 4 albums right there.
The band post-Slash has been just as productive as the classic-era formation.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1714 on: March 24, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »

I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

There is tapdancing around an inconvenient issue you'd rather not address.  That's one thing.  Taking it to completely absurd levels is quite another.

I agree..you took it to an absurd level.  Thus, the discussion.

Any discussion of GNR is discussion of a (theoretically) professional operation.  Its a business at this level.  These are not 5 guys playing the corner bar for $50 a head and all the beer they can drink.  Not the same ballpark, not the same league, not even the same fuckin' sport, as a wise man from Inglewood once said.

Then properly label the point of discussion you're trying to make.

You can't say they're not a band.

You can't say they're not a professional band (they get paid to play music....thus professional).

You can argue their success as a business outfit (they seem profitable, though, based on their touring #'s).

You can argue their level of "prolificness" at which they release material.

Have at it.

You can't argue they aren't a band.  Don't make me pull a mortis and post the definition, here.  

Comparisons to guys in bars and one hit wonders from the 80s is laughable.  First off, since when is it an acceptable comparison to compare GNR to a nostalgia act touring off past laurels?  We have people here we need to peel off he fucking ceiling when those worlds are spoken.  Now you want to make them GNR's peers?

I'm not comparing them to anyone.  I'm giving you acceptable definitions of a band, and actually showing you that GnR far exceed them.

All to avoid having to address that this particular band doesn't have much productivity?  

I'm not making any such comparisons.  I'm giving you various definitions of bands that ignore commercial productivity. And demonstrating GnR exceeds them.

Just own up to the fact you were wrong...GnR is a band...and we're done.  Simple as that.

I'm also not avoiding.  The discussion in question is so old, and has been done for so long, I don't think there's much new to add to it.  I've said it before.....and I've taken a bent with my postings not to play "Lets repeat the same argument over and over again".

If YOU want to enter into that discussion, have at it. But beginning it with "GnR isn't a band"....you're jumping off point sucks. Because it's demonstrably untrue.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1715 on: March 24, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »

Nope. Plenty of those not actually making/writing/recording/publishing/releasing music, but still touring as a band (and they are signed to a label) too.

Recording artist might.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:19:20 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
mortismurphy
« Reply #1716 on: March 24, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »

They just released a live album a few months ago... did any of you "fans" even buy it?

Lol.

We also have a boxset to look forward to, followed by a remastered appetite, followed by some archival dvds, that lost Del James documentry for example....
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1717 on: March 24, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »

Twice.

Once just as the Blu-Ray (3D!!!) combo. And again to get the CD's. Smiley

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1718 on: March 24, 2015, 10:19:29 AM »

Really? I understand not liking somebody stating they don't think this is a "band".. but really?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
mortismurphy
« Reply #1719 on: March 24, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »

Nope. Plenty of those not actually making music, but still touring as a band (and they are signed to a label) too.

Recording artist might.

Fair enough. So are we accepting the fact that gnr are no longer 'recording artists'?
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 125 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: