Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:26:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Goodbye Ron (???)
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 125 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodbye Ron (???)  (Read 390485 times)
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #1760 on: March 24, 2015, 08:57:42 PM »

I'm a fan of both bands but I would never compare them.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1761 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:59 PM »

Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal On Difficult Band Members

Ron gave his thoughts on how to deal with difficult band members at his guitar clinic on March 7th 2015 at the Mash House in Edinburgh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdiktnl3bA

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #1762 on: March 24, 2015, 10:21:31 PM »

Ron gave his thoughts on how to deal with difficult band members at his guitar clinic on March 7th 2015 at the Mash House in Edinburgh.

Oh boy, you've opened up pandora's box now

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
mortismurphy
« Reply #1763 on: March 24, 2015, 10:22:04 PM »

The fact that DC have included new material into their current setlist (RnR Train, Anything Goes, War Machine) is highly impressive

Yeah, very impressive that their current (?) setlist has songs from their 2008 album. What the hell are you smoking? The band isn't even on tour currently and yet here you are talking about a current setlist.
Maybe you need to go discuss this amazing thing over at some AC/DC fan site.

/jarmo

That is pretty low even for you. I obviously only have the Black Ice tour to go off, at least until May 2015. Watch the space (as they say): there will be Rock or Bust material present.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1764 on: March 24, 2015, 10:52:37 PM »

I watched this.   I have no idea why the crowd is laughing so much.   Ron is not funny at all

He gives some guy advice.   That sometimes the problem may be you.  If everyone is annoying you.

Ron should of taken his own advice.   
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1765 on: March 25, 2015, 12:05:13 AM »

Oh boy, you've opened up pandora's box now

Just some of his advise:

Quit. Before your organs fail from stress...and before you had to. I'm not talking about anything in particular or specific! (Laughs)

10,000 people throwing things at the stage and people passing out and getting carried out on stretchers from dehydration. Just try not to care.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #1766 on: March 25, 2015, 12:49:51 AM »

I watched this.   I have no idea why the crowd is laughing so much.   Ron is not funny at all

He gives some guy advice.   That sometimes the problem may be you.  If everyone is annoying you.

I don't find his "humor" funny at all, his passive aggressive jabs could be left out completely.

He is alienating and pissing off a fair number of GNR fans with his dumb hyucks.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #1767 on: March 25, 2015, 12:52:17 AM »

I'm a fan of both bands but I would never compare them.

I always liked AC/DC, liked them better with Bon, but I fully realize that they have perfected formulated rock and it has worked well for them.

No need to compare bands at all, some "fans" here are grasping at straws to trying to demean GNR, as well as inventing delusions.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:05:46 AM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1768 on: March 25, 2015, 01:22:07 AM »

Well for a start, Black Ice was a different animal from every DC album that proceeded it. Angus gets out a bottleneck on Stormy May Day and Brian sings in his (natural) soul voice, which he had not done since Geordie. The notion that DC 'put out the same album' is only partially true. There are actually significant differences in albums. Razors Edge was slick for example. Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip were blues albums. Black Ice saw a return to the 'rock anthems'. I do not see your point here. Secondly, DC have 17 studio albums. Axl on has five (of original material) - and I am being generous here by including the Lies EP. The fact that DC have included new material into their current setlist (RnR Train, Anything Goes, War Machine) is highly impressive for an act with that number of recognisable songs under their belt. What new material is Axl including in his setlists? None, because he does not even have a new album out.

Even Kiss usually include two songs from their new albums!

At least this response indicates you understood what someone was talking about for once... Roll Eyes.  Even though I disagree.  It all sounds very similar to me. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:25:28 AM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1769 on: March 25, 2015, 01:31:30 AM »

The fact that DC have included new material into their current setlist (RnR Train, Anything Goes, War Machine) is highly impressive

Yeah, very impressive that their current (?) setlist has songs from their 2008 album. What the hell are you smoking? The band isn't even on tour currently and yet here you are talking about a current setlist.

/jarmo

That is pretty low even for you. I obviously only have the Black Ice tour to go off, at least until May 2015. Watch the space (as they say): there will be Rock or Bust material present.

It's not low.  A good number of your posts have literally made me think you were smoking something.  We're supposed to "obviously" know that you were talking about the Black Ice tour??

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #1770 on: March 25, 2015, 02:14:35 AM »

I don't find his "humor" funny at all, his passive aggressive jabs could be left out completely.

He is alienating and pissing off a fair number of GNR fans with his dumb hyucks.

Clinics aren't really meant for fans, it's more "shop talk". I'm assuming the people who are laughing are in bands and have been in bands that dealt with difficult personalities.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1771 on: March 25, 2015, 04:57:52 AM »

Clinics aren't really meant for fans, it's more "shop talk". I'm assuming the people who are laughing are in bands and have been in bands that dealt with difficult personalities.

Nah

To me the crowd almost had this nervous laughter    It's like they think Ron is trying to tell a joke but there not sure.   But Rona laughing so the have to as well....   

Mean while all they want to hear are stories about guns n roses
mortismurphy
« Reply #1772 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:11 AM »

/jarmo

It's not low.  A good number of your posts have literally made me think you were smoking something.  We're supposed to "obviously" know that you were talking about the Black Ice tour??

I was referring to the most recent DC tour which only, by default, could be Black Ice, so 'yes' is the answer. Wait two months and there will be more news on this front.

By the way, it is Jarmo who focused on ACDC. I only brought them up originally (along with Kiss) in the general sense that, here  are a band with a predetermined nostalgic setlist, who release albums. It was not a specific comparison of AC/DC and Guns based on style! A better analogy again would be with Guns's contemporaries, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Crue, etc., who you would assume would be at a similar stage in their careers. The point is that bands who usually have the nostalgic 'golden oldies' tag thrown at them (DC, Kiss, Stones) are actually far more prolific on the original material front than Axl. You have to lower the barometer beneath them to justify the label, 'band' (we were in a semantic debate on the word, 'band'). You have to find a band who are,

1/ (apparently) signed
2/ fairly big commercially: an established 'name'
3/ has a predetermined setlist of fixed 'hits' and 'album cuts'
4/ does not release original material

Both Kiss and DC would fail at the last hurdle. The Stones would, partially, fail on 3 and 4 (Doom and Gloom).
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #1773 on: March 25, 2015, 07:06:45 AM »

/jarmo

I was referring to the most recent DC tour which only, by default, could be Black Ice, so 'yes' is the answer. Wait two months and there will be more news on this front.

By the way, it is Jarmo who focused on ACDC. I only brought them up originally (along with Kiss) in the general sense that, here  are a band with a predetermined nostalgic setlist, who release albums. It was not a specific comparison of AC/DC and Guns based on style! A better analogy again would be with Guns's contemporaries, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Crue, etc., who you would assume would be at a similar stage in their careers. The point is that bands who usually have the nostalgic 'golden oldies' tag thrown at them (DC, Kiss, Stones) are actually far more prolific on the original material front than Axl. You have to lower the barometer beneath them to justify the label, 'band' (we were in a semantic debate on the word, 'band'). You have to find a band who are,

1/ (apparently) signed

Both Kiss and DC would fail at the last hurdle. The Stones would, partially, fail on 3 and 4 (Doom and Gloom).

People give guns grief for playing the same songs in there setlists.  Myself included.
Now people are starting to call them a nostalgic act.  I am not one of these

The problem I find with guns playing a lot of the same songs durring there shows is, well they just don't have that many songs to choose from

They have not released that many albums and on the albums they have released there is a handful of songs that will never be played live.  Some because they are studio songs impossible to sing live and other because they are to close to the guitarist that wrote them

This does not make them a nostalgic act though.   Just a band that doesn't have that much material to choose from

I hope with any new guns release comes songs that Axl is comfortable with playing live.  And not just studio songs
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1774 on: March 25, 2015, 08:43:48 AM »

I would love a brief statement from GNR...

We just want to thank Ron Thal for his years of service to the GNR brand... we wish him well in the future.

Short n Sweet

That way we can close this thread ...move all of his future interviews and things hes got going on to ex gunners... and end all of this back n forth.

Plus... if he really has a a gag order of some kind, then there won't be much to break down and analyze anyway.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1775 on: March 25, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »

By the way, it is Jarmo who focused on ACDC. I only brought them up originally (along with Kiss) in the general sense that, here  are a band with a predetermined nostalgic setlist, who release albums.

Yeah, add KISS to that list. They took the make up off, reunited, put it on, farewell tour blah blah blah. Part of their deal is nostalgia. Just like AC/DC.
And hooray! AC/DC played three songs from the album they were touring. And you want to compare that to GN'R?  rofl

The amount of things you find to whine about regarding GN'R. That's astounding.
Why not go post in Bad Obsession in the AC/DC thread about all the things you don't like about them?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1776 on: March 25, 2015, 09:32:29 AM »

/jarmo

The point is that bands who usually have the nostalgic 'golden oldies' tag thrown at them (DC, Kiss, Stones) are actually far more prolific on the original material front than Axl. You have to lower the barometer beneath them to justify the label, 'band' (we were in a semantic debate on the word, 'band'). You have to find a band who are,

1/ (apparently) signed

Right, but what is the point if the artists are putting out bland uninspired albums?  The only band you mentioned there that actually has taken some artistic risks in the last 20 years for better or worse is Metallica.  The only thing more generic than AC/DC's songs are their song titles.  I was shocked it took them 40 years to use "Rock or Bust."  There is nothing AC/DC, Kiss or The Stones do that I want Guns to emulate.  Guns probably could have gone that route 20 years ago by making that 95 Snakepit album the next Guns record.  They could have kept the machine going and had 10 more albums of generic sounding "rock n roll" just to add a couple new songs nobody cares about to the set list every few years.   They would have sold out tours based on their first few records and had radio success with any type of generic sounding Slash riff with Axl singing over it because the public likes what they are familiar with. And you know what?  Millions of people probably would have loved it, the band would have made a fortune and the general rock fan would have a different perception of Axl today.  I'm happy the band took the path less traveled and challenged themselves artistically.  The road Axl took in the mid to late 90's had to be anything but easy. Quality over quantity.  I would rather wait 20 years between records than get a generic sounding record every 2-3 years.  The one word you can never use to describe GNR's albums is generic.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:35:44 AM by Bodhi » Logged
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1777 on: March 25, 2015, 09:54:40 AM »

I hate to jump in here with this... but how do you compare GNR's evolution in their discography when it took a completely different band to produce Chinese Democracy?

As it's been pointed out the band that Guns N Roses started out as with Appetite .. COULD NOT have made Chinese Democracy or the songs that will eventually be on the follow up... so comparing what Metallica or ACDC has done with their changes or lack thereof ... doesn't really work in my opinion.

Goddam Mortis... this is not about ACDC !!!! It's about the drama queen traitor Ron Thal !!!

Like I said in my last post.. we need a clean break from this guy.. the GNR model does not work for him.. and that's quite alright.. minus his silly countdown.. he has no real blood on his hands... Let's make it official, and each party can go on their merry ways.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1778 on: March 25, 2015, 10:46:39 AM »

I hate to jump in here with this... but how do you compare GNR's evolution in their discography when it took a completely different band to produce Chinese Democracy?

As it's been pointed out the band that Guns N Roses started out as with Appetite .. COULD NOT have made Chinese Democracy or the songs that will eventually be on the follow up... so comparing what Metallica or ACDC has done with their changes or lack thereof ... doesn't really work in my opinion.

Sure it does,  I am talking about what Axl did.  Instead of taking the easy nostalgic route which was definitely available if he went along with those songs from the first Snakepit record, he had to build it all back up from scratch.  As a result we get less albums quantity wise, but the quality of what we do get is far superior. 

People have called Axl lazy and unmotivated, i find him to be the complete opposite.  I hate to bring up ex members in this section, but those last two Slash records, that is the quality of music we would be getting from GNR if they did what AC/DC and Kiss and all those bands who do things so "great" did.  How's that working out?

My whole point is I find those bands stale and generic and something GNR could have easily done back in the late 90's to today , I'm glad they didn't. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:55:08 AM by Bodhi » Logged
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1779 on: March 25, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »

Sure it does,  I am talking about what Axl did.  Instead of taking the easy nostalgic route which was definitely available if he went along with those songs from the first Snakepit record, he had to build it all back up from scratch.  As a result we get less albums quantity wise, but the quality of what we do get is far superior. 

People have called Axl lazy and unmotivated, i find him to be the complete opposite.  I hate to bring up ex members in this section, but those last two Slash records, that is the quality of music we would be getting from GNR if they did what AC/DC and Kiss and all those bands who do things so "great" did.  How's that working out?

I like Slash's last two records... and if Axl had been the vocalist for them.. I'm sure more of the non solo Slash fans would as well...obviously.

As far as the change in sound with CD... Axl could not have achieved that with the old band... that's all I'm saying. I don't knock him for the change in sound once he had the ability to do that. I liked the outcome of the record.

In addition Axl is on record saying he wanted to continue making "Slash" records... so unless he was lying... his grand vision of CD wasn't the original plan anyway.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 125 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: