Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:41:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  help starting on guitar (+Word of Advice)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: help starting on guitar (+Word of Advice)  (Read 116712 times)
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2004, 06:53:14 PM »

The only thing that's weird is that it takes a minute or two to heat up before I can start using it.
It's not wierd exactly, it's just the way they work.  But you should actually leave them for about 20 mins or so on standby before you start playing, because it can seriously shorten the length of the tubes life by pushing when it hasn't warmed up.

Sorry for the double post but i'm feeling lazy today.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
theblues
Bad Brad
VIP

Jason Becker rules

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2004, 12:24:21 PM »

well they have a 100 watt amp wit built in effects and stuff for 249.99 and i wanted to get that ..  but do you know any other good amps for about 250

Dude as Skeba said, unles you can get a good one, DONT BUY ONE AT ALL!  Id save up for a Marshall DSL 401 off eBay for $450.... drool

God gave us great music - Thanks to GnR that is
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2004, 03:53:47 AM »

hey,

i've been forced by my band to start learning shred bs metal, cuz they have no respect for blues rock. i have no other options either.

anyway, apart from pentatonic major and minor scales, what are some common scales used in metal?

could you give me a site?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2004, 02:21:35 PM »

Natural minor (Aeolian), Harmonic minor, Lydian, Phyrigian.  Basically the diatonic modes.  Try a searh on google for an article or something on the different modes...that's probably a good place to start.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 02:22:28 PM by Miz » Logged

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2004, 01:34:11 PM »

hey i'm looking to buy an amp soon.

i have the peavey bandit 112 in mind. i've looked at all the reviews at harmony central and it seems like what i'm looking for.

what are some other good SS amps in that price range. I can't afford tubes and their impractical for me atm. I'm going to the guitar store in two weeks time so i wanna know apart from the bandit what else i should check out.

I need something for jam sessions and small/medium gigs.
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2004, 01:18:36 PM »

hey,

i've been forced by my band to start learning shred bs metal, cuz they have no respect for blues rock. i have no other options either.

anyway, apart from pentatonic major and minor scales, what are some common scales used in metal?

could you give me a site?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

WTF??!!?? You do have a choice, playing guitar is about expressing yourself and doing what you enjoy and a band is about everyone enjoying themselves, I love hard-rock and blues, mix the two up you can play fast blues ya know? I was in a band for 2 years and now im out jamming with ppl ya know and Ive played with sum metal bands but I wouldnt shred Id just play in my own style and work it around a song. Although sayin all that you should learn shred but incorporate it into ur own style I mean neer stop learning dude.
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2004, 04:09:29 AM »

yeah that band sorta disformed, partly because the closest i could get to a metal sound was like an iron maiden thing.

i can shred, well not really but i can play fast like a sloppy version of Slash. Actually more like Angus Young.

what i can't shred like is yngie malmsteen etc and that was the sorta speed technique etc that was required.

the outcome was, well just imagine a solo like the paradise city outro solo over a slipknot song. you get the picture.

i've only been playing 8 months or so, so flying through chromatic scales is what i'm not capable of. I stick to funk/blues/rock n roll because not only do i find it easier, but its what i'm good at and it just sounds "right" to me.

with that being said i'll continue learning and picking up styles and techniques from other branches of music but still only put them into use for rock n roll and hard rock. maybe in a few years time i'll be able to shred up and down harmonic minor scales like a robot. hihi
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2004, 08:31:53 PM »

I just started playing electric guitar 6 months ago, and can someone tell me what "playing in a certain key" means?  For example, is Sweet Child O' Mine in a different key than Jungle (I think it is)?  But, more importantly, how do I change my guitar to sound different for each song?  If anyone has any info on this, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.
metalhead666
Headliner

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2004, 11:14:28 PM »

Enjoy playing, learn the chromatic scale, and learn to read music!!!!!

"If there was a new way I'd be the 1st in line, but it'd better work this time."
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2004, 01:42:09 PM »

I know i've asked this before... But what about the Yorkville Traynor YCV40? From the reviews i've read, it's a great amp. Specs:

*Preamp: Tube 3x Sovtek 12AX7WA Dual Triodes (Russian)
*Power Amp Tube: 2x Sovtek  6L6GB Beam Power Tubes (Russian)
*DC Filaments on Preamp tubes
*Full RPS /w tube rectifier emulation

Whaddya think?

Fuck 'Em All.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2004, 02:33:37 PM »

hey guys.

im 14 yrs old and i've got my 1st acoustic. i find the guitar really difficult and plus my family aint got musical background. my fingers r really fat and not thin and flexible like most musicians. r there ne tips that ne 1 can giv me

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2004, 04:57:46 PM »

hey guys.

im 14 yrs old and i've got my 1st acoustic. i find the guitar really difficult and plus my family aint got musical background. my fingers r really fat and not thin and flexible like most musicians. r there ne tips that ne 1 can giv me

Hey dude, check out the first page of this thread. There some good links to guitar site's which help you start around. Always start with learning some chords such as G, C, D, Am, Em, etc. They'll explain it further on those sites. So check the first page!  ok

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2004, 12:38:01 PM »

thanks m8. apreciated

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
slash55
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2005, 03:54:56 PM »

hi i am wanting to start learning the electric guitar and need to buy one but don't know if i need left handed or right handed guitar whats your advice?
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2005, 05:19:25 PM »

Well generaly if you write with your left hand you should use an left handed guitar, this is not always the case though. I'm a lefty but I play normal guitars (This is because the old spanish guitar my dad used to play was a right handed guitar and I started with that) Anyway a good way to find out which hand you use for guitar is to pretend you're playing air guitar, if you strum with your left hand get a right handed guitar, if you strum with your right hand get a lefty guitar.
By the way you should start with an acoustic guitar? ok

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
slash55
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2005, 12:50:10 PM »

hi thanks for the advice i already own an acoustic guitar which was given to me by my dad and know some chords Em, C, G, D, Am, E and A but cannot play any songs so dont know if i need a right handed or left handed guitar even though i am left handed. thanks again for the advice.
VolcomStone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2005, 01:09:30 PM »

find something that inspires you to play.  usually for me it's everytime i come back from a concert or watch a concert dvd that i feel the need to pick up my guitar and play.  also, whenever i watch slash or robin finck's playing, it looks so easy that i say to myself, "hey, if they're doing it without being lightening-quick then i should be able to play it".  that's about the time that i sit down and decide to work on learning an entire gn'r (or whoever) song all the way through.  this also helps by the way if you make it a sort of project to learn an entire song.  you can see progress with what you've learned and where you need to go.  as far as learning to read music, play scales, etc... i learned to read before but haven't touched it in probably four years, and i can't tell you shit about what scales are what.  all i've really learned is what it sounds like when i go to certain places on the neck and if it goes well with the music i'm playing over.  this works fine for me, but if you can learn to read/identify scales... more power to you.

If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2005, 01:59:58 PM »

also, this is a good warm up which i found in TOTAL GUITAR MAGAZINE

E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-----------------------------7----------
G|----------------------5-----------------------------7--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|----------5---7---9-----9----7-----5-----7-----9-------9----7-----------------5-------7-------9-------9-------7--------5--------9----7-
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|------------------------5------------------------------7----------------------------
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|----------5---7---9-----9----7-----5-----7-----9-------9----7------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|------------------------8-------------------------------8------------------------------
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|----------5---7---9-----9----7-----5-----7-----9-------9----7------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J?
Kid In The Hall
Banned
VIP

Here Since January 11th 2002

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2005, 10:58:24 AM »

I just got my acoustic today, after the first  one they sent the neck was broken in the mail. Anyways, I can read music I used to play Trumpet, and I understand basic knowledge of piano.

Is there any music books from a music store that would be good for me to read so I understand the basic note configureations on the guitar. And how to get to a good start and shit?

thanks,

jimmer

Fuck All Y'all
linker
Opening Act

...still alive... maybe offline

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2005, 12:14:55 PM »

yep guitar pro is good, you got keyboards view and guitar view, so when you playing one you can see the other.
I am playing keyborads a long time now(yamaha PSR 290). I got a band "black widow"("crna udovica").I have been playing led zeppelin,deep purple,the doors.First serious influence with rock was when I heard guns n roses, so when I got time I play november rain,locomotive,civil war...  Someday I wiill learn to play guitar,yep, but for now its this.
good luck with learning...

I'm reckless and feelin' no pain
does that makes me insane.??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: