Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  help starting on guitar (+Word of Advice)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: help starting on guitar (+Word of Advice)  (Read 116703 times)
darkmonth
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2005, 12:34:10 PM »

The only thing that's weird is that it takes a minute or two to heat up before I can start using it.
It's not wierd exactly, it's just the way they work.  But you should actually leave them for about 20 mins or so on standby before you start playing, because it can seriously shorten the length of the tubes life by pushing when it hasn't warmed up.

Sorry for the double post but i'm feeling lazy today.

Don't be silly.  20 mins?!  That's crazy.  Leaving your tubes for maybe 2 or 3 is fine.  Regular use of a tube amp with 2 or 3 mins warmups, your tubes will last years.

I should know Cheesy
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2005, 10:07:44 PM »

if you want to play guitar real good, do as our own duff sais he does!"So i played the guitar 'til my dick got hard. And i fucked that bitch night and day!"
yeah! those are really cool lyrics! duff rules! ?peace

great lyric! i can't beleive how underated duff's believe in me is..and neaurotic outsiders for that matter. both are amazing albums.
Nick722
Headliner

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2006, 09:45:45 PM »

Okay, so I've been playin' guitar for like 5-6 months now. I know the basic chords, and Major, Minor Penatonic, and Blues scales. Do scales work like, If someone is playing G chord, then I play a scale in G figure or whatever?

Tongue
SuperMike
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2006, 10:56:50 PM »

Yeah something like that , I'm still learning myself. I just got an acoustic guitar from my uncle, I haven't put it down since  Cheesy

The best advice to a learner on guitar is don't give a flying fuck about becoming a career musician because if you dream about that , you will not want to play anymore once you encounter challenging stuff to learn.
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2006, 08:55:28 AM »

think of the guitar as ur enemy........sitting there.......laughing at u cuz u can't do a certain lick or something..............are you just gonna sit there and let it laugh at you..........no you play it like a bitch and make it whine.

that.. is the most inspirational thing i have EVER heard.. i kid you not.. i've only been trying to play for about a month and half now and if i didnt have to go to class right now, i'd fucking sit down play the guitar til my fingers bled.. which i think i'll do when i get home tonight..

ps: thank you SO much to those people who posted those scales tabs.. you have NO idea how helpful that iss for a newbie like me. i'm eternally greatful to you guys!

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2006, 02:52:30 PM »

need advice on the positioning of the thumb.. when im tryin to play the blues scale, i have my thumb pressed against the back of the neck pointing to the side and it feels a little awkward.. but less awkward than if i have it point upwards..

any advice on how and where it should lie?

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2006, 09:12:09 AM »

anybody got any tips on how to thread the strings through the tuners,is there a proper way to stop detuning or do you just wrap it round a couple of times ??

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
Ason
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2006, 01:44:16 AM »

I guess...the easiest way to learn guitar...is to just start playing....I get kinda confused when i start thinking bout scales n all....I just download tabs n learn to play the whole song.....Guitar pro's please tell me if m doin the right thing Embarrassed
ryba
Opening Act

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2006, 04:31:02 AM »

I always find extremely helpful watching other guitarists play. I advise you to download a lot of videos where you can see, for example, Slash play and try to figure out his technique. I often feel more motivated to pick up my guitar after watching some music videos. Tongue

My favorite guitar site. Has a really cool community forum as well.

I strongly recommend it to every guitar player, be it a beginner or advanced. Before I found it I was quite frustrated, it kinda changed my life.
It's powertabs are the most accurate you can find on the Internet due to the approval system that each tab has to go through.

You can find there even a bunch of great Snakepit ptbs, Gilby's Cure Me Or Kill Me and of course GN'R & VR.
I wish there was some Izzy Stradlin stuff on there. But, well, everyone can become a tabber Wink

peace powertabs.net: G'N'R, Snakepit, Duff, Gilby and VR power tabs. Check'em out (and contribute) Smiley!
ryba
Opening Act

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2006, 05:25:52 AM »

need advice on the positioning of the thumb.. when im tryin to play the blues scale, i have my thumb pressed against the back of the neck pointing to the side and it feels a little awkward.. but less awkward than if i have it point upwards..

any advice on how and where it should lie?

Should be helpful:

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=160428&styleid=14

If you're playing solos with bends and rock vibrato, it's recommended that you have your thumb hooking over the neck, but always do what feels most comfortable for you, everything depends on how big (long) your fingers are. I have quite small hands and can't use "baseball bat" all the time. There are chords that involve hand stretching and thus are impossible to be played with your thumb hooking over the neck.

anybody got any tips on how to thread the strings through the tuners,is there a proper way to stop detuning or do you just wrap it round a couple of times ??

Dude, use google, there are tons of sites with pictures that show you exactly how to change strings properly. Just type change guitar strings in the search field.
*searches*

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aachangingstringsa.htm

This one is very nice.

peace powertabs.net: G'N'R, Snakepit, Duff, Gilby and VR power tabs. Check'em out (and contribute) Smiley!
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2006, 07:57:38 AM »

hi people Smiley seems to be some good advices in here.now it's just the guitar that's missing Tongue
I've heard people say that you should start with acoustic guitar,and I've heard others say that it doesn't matter.Does it?

I've been looking for "beginners pack" and found these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Player-Pack?sku=518677
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Players-Pack?sku=518745

anyone knws if they're any good?
just have to find a site that ships to Europe Sad
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 08:00:09 AM by Nighteyes » Logged

shit happens when you party naked
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2006, 01:00:14 PM »

hi people Smiley seems to be some good advices in here.now it's just the guitar that's missing Tongue
I've heard people say that you should start with acoustic guitar,and I've heard others say that it doesn't matter.Does it?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Player-Pack?sku=518677
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Players-Pack?sku=518745

yeah they are not too bad for beginners, specially cuz they are cheap and you don't have to invest too much at the beginning...but once you get goin you're gonna want better equipment. so if you are willing to spend the money now to get started then spend more later as you get better then it's definately a good deal...but that guitar and amp are both definately starter material, but if you are willing to spend about $500 instead of $200 you will get way better stuff

like the epiphone lp-100 guitar and a line6 spider II 112 (75W) amp (or even a spider II 30, i just got the 30W one cuz i don't need much more than 30 watts personally I'm just a hobbiest), but on musicians freind those 2 things would cost you about $450 USD. if you get the 30watt amp instead it'll only be about $410

but you should play before you buy!!! I can't stress that enough, go find a guitar shop and goof around with some stuff or ask a person in the store for advice and to play some stuff for you if you don't know much yet. If you buy something and hate the way it sounds it'll totally turn you off...

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2006, 01:10:26 PM »

of course a million people have a million things to say about different amps

check out this thread i made when i was looking for one

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=34370.0

but remember in the end it's gotta be you who likes the sound of it ok

Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2006, 12:50:15 PM »

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I found this site:
www.freeguitarvideos.com

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2006, 03:23:16 PM »

the crappier the guitar is on which you start the better, cause you're only gonna sound better from there on...

I ordered my first guitar from some kind of mail order catalogue(which wasn't a bad guitar at all!, I've heard fenders that don't sound as good as mine)

I later found out that van halen actually did the same thing? hihi
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 04:08:56 PM by Grouse » Logged
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2007, 01:49:47 PM »

What a great thread this is... I had never noticed this! lol... no I?m starting playing guitar... I got a Squier Stratocaster (it?s kinda rubbish but not that bad to start with  Wink) and I?ve been playing for like 4 months (lol not much... I?m still a novice)... Right now I?m working on SCOM intro (how original... I know... lol) and it ain?t just easy... I?m trying to play it at the same time as the song. Yesterday I did it well, today it was a mess... lol but I will keep on trying! This thread will be very useful for me, got plenty of cool links... can?t wait to start seeing them  ok

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2007, 12:54:03 PM »

What a great thread this is... I had never noticed this! lol... no I?m starting playing guitar... I got a Squier Stratocaster (it?s kinda rubbish but not that bad to start with? Wink) and I?ve been playing for like 4 months (lol not much... I?m still a novice)... Right now I?m working on SCOM intro (how original... I know... lol) and it ain?t just easy... I?m trying to play it at the same time as the song. Yesterday I did it well, today it was a mess... lol but I will keep on trying! This thread will be very useful for me, got plenty of cool links... can?t wait to start seeing them? ok

hehe that was also the first thing I learned when I first picked up a guitar almost 10 years ago, The key to learning guitar is repition....that's all there is to it? smoking
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2007, 08:50:04 PM »

A really good place to find GN'R power tabs from:

http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/tablatures/UltimateSLASH.htm

how the fuck do you get to read these tabs using a mac? I've been searching for power tab editor but it looks like it only comes for windows...

help is highly appreciated! peace

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
dooey
Opening Act

I Needed Some Peice Of Mind

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2007, 12:43:39 AM »

Could someone please post mama kin tab.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2007, 06:01:24 PM »

Ok so this is just my opinion, but..

When I started to play guitar (with no teacher), I used tabs to learn some songs and I thought it was the easiest/CLEAREST way. But then I got to a point where I found it really hard to catch the melody of some songs, so I got pretty frustrated and all. Then my father told me to learn to read notes, so I lend some books from the library. After couple of days I started to understand how to read them and started to play along Nirvana and stuff, and found it so much easier than tabs. These days I look at tabs only for some certain riffs etc.

But I think it depends on the person, which is the best way. But I really recommend people to learn the scales and chords and so on..

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: