Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 06:15:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 NFL Season
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 NFL Season  (Read 149302 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2015, 04:18:34 PM »

You can spin things anyway to fit the narrative you believe. I can do the same. We'll obviously never see eye to eye on the matter.

In other related news.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/07/31/patriots-update-wells-report-in-context-site-disclose-feisty-emails-with-jeff-pash/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25255741

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2015, 05:18:05 PM »

You can spin things anyway to fit the narrative you believe. I can do the same. We'll obviously never see eye to eye on the matter.

But...thats exactly my point.

You asked someone to explain it to you.

I just did.  Now, that doesn't fit your narrative..which is fine. But the point is: There IS a reasonable, logical, potentially possible explanation.  Whether you believe that explanation happened or not, one exists that makes sense.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2015, 05:24:26 PM »

I mean, I think we can agree that first article obviously has pro-pats narrative and agenda (given the source and publication, that shouldn't be a surprise), but there's some interesting stuff in there like:

The NFL denying it has any knowledge of who is leaking the info, and that it didn't come directly from the league

and this response:

?I have doubts that piecemeal disclosures are likely to accomplish much,? Pash stated. ?If anything, I would think they are likely to prompt additional questions, additional stories, and additional irresponsible speculation and commentary.?
?Once the investigation is completed and the facts are known, any incorrect reporting will be shown for what it is,? Pash said.

There's your answer as to their thought process.

Again, you might not agree that's the right direction (as the author does not), but they clearly told the Pats what their intent was.

And if you read the ENTIRETY of the email chain.....some of the stuff is clipped out that adds quite a bit of context.

The article on the timeline stuff makes sense.  We'll see if the court agrees to abide by the proposed time lines or do things in their own time.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:26:34 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2015, 06:25:32 PM »

Le'Veon Bell's suspension being reduced the same day douchebag Brady's is upheld is the absolute cherry on top love

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »

I just did.  Now, that doesn't fit your narrative..which is fine. But the point is: There IS a reasonable, logical, potentially possible explanation.  Whether you believe that explanation happened or not, one exists that makes sense.
Oh I hear you. But it does work both ways. You feel you have to jump through hoops to see things from a Patrios perspective. There is a flipside to that. Lots of people have a hard time taking the NFL serious in this whole charade. And not ALL of them are diehard Pats fans.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »

I mean, I think we can agree that first article obviously has pro-pats narrative and agenda (given the source and publication, that shouldn't be a surprise), but there's some interesting stuff in there like:

The NFL denying it has any knowledge of who is leaking the info, and that it didn't come directly from the league

and this response:

?I have doubts that piecemeal disclosures are likely to accomplish much,? Pash stated. ?If anything, I would think they are likely to prompt additional questions, additional stories, and additional irresponsible speculation and commentary.?
?Once the investigation is completed and the facts are known, any incorrect reporting will be shown for what it is,? Pash said.

Again, you might not agree that's the right direction (as the author does not), but they clearly told the Pats what their intent was.

And if you read the ENTIRETY of the email chain.....some of the stuff is clipped out that adds quite a bit of context.

The article on the timeline stuff makes sense.  We'll see if the court agrees to abide by the proposed time lines or do things in their own time.
Not surprisingly, ESPN is not reporting on the Patriots releasing the email exchange with the league. So I shared the first link that popped up.

Obviously they have an answer for everything. They're not stupid people to get to where they are. They simply didn't care how bad the false information and leaks made the Patriots look. As long as it fit their agenda, it was no skin off their back.

Yeah, I'm choosing to roll with that.

There is a reason and explanation for everything. I get that. As long as you can admit that it works both ways.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »

Oh I hear you. But it does work both ways. You feel you have to jump through hoops to see things from a Patrios perspective. There is a flipside to that. Lots of people have a hard time taking the NFL serious in this whole charade. And not ALL of them are diehard Pats fans.

Oh, i know there are. I said awhile back...we will have to see how it all plays out and accept whatever the final outcome is.

We will see what that is, hopefully by mid september.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:10:45 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »

and this response:

Not surprisingly, ESPN is not reporting on the Patriots releasing the email exchange with the league. So I shared the first link that popped up.

Obviously they have an answer for everything. They're not stupid people to get to where they are. They simply didn't care how bad the false information and leaks made the Patriots look. As long as it fit their agenda, it was no skin off their back.

There is a reason and explanation for everything. I get that. As long as you can admit that it works both ways.

Sure.

But i read that whole exchange...and the pats employee comes across like the lady who gets a ticket and then starts screaming at the cop "but i pay your salary!!"

You lose some of that if you only read the snippets in the article.

Theres other context in there, when you read the whole thing, too. Like most things, it shifts much more toward center than the article portrays it.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2015, 08:28:54 PM »

and this response:

Sure.

But i read that whole exchange...and the pats employee comes across like the lady who gets a ticket and then starts screaming at the cop "but i pay your salary!!"

You lose some of that if you only read the snippets in the article.

Theres other context in there, when you read the whole thing, too. Like most things, it shifts much more toward center than the article portrays it.
Gotcha. Again, I just posted the first article that came up on the issue. I didn't do a major vetting process. My bad.

Did you read Mortensen's statement about why he canceled his appearance on WEEI this morning? I found that comical.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:30:39 PM by faldor » Logged

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2015, 08:33:48 PM »

Oh, i know there are. I said awhile back...we will have to see how it all plays out and accept whatever the final outcome is.

We will see what that is, hopefully by mid september.
It sounds like in the end things aren't going to go Brady's way. He apparently wants to put this behind him and get on with the season. I think the only way he could vindicate himself is if he fights it in court. Even that isn't a sure thing, but coming to an agreement at this point I don't see ending well.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2015, 10:40:54 AM »

Is this article more fair and balanced, without a slanted view? It's a national publication, not Boston based.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/patriots--fight-with-nfl-gets-nastier-with-release-of-emails-005610492.html

There are exclamation points and words in all CAPS, harsh attacks, repeated pleadings for action and eventually just befuddlement. And that's just the New England Patriots' side of intraleague emails that the team released Friday.

From the NFL there was mostly dismissive arrogance, if any response at all.

If league commissioner Roger Goodell was hoping the swirl around deflate-gate was closing in on an end, one that would take place in the cool confines of federal court, he might want to buckle up. Patriots owner Robert Kraft may look like a harmless grandfather but he's a self-made billionaire and one who operates by an old school, look-them-in-the-eye code and isn't much for anyone who violates it.

Goodell violated it by Kraft's thinking and now this looks like all out war on the league office. Just as a federal judge told everyone to tone down the rhetoric, Kraft went scorched earth.

On Friday the Patriots released a series of February emails from spokesman Stacey James and general counsel Robyn Glaser to the league office begging for the NFL to correct numerous erroneous and highly prejudicial stories that New England asserts the league made up and then leaked to ESPN.

It includes an early ESPN report that claimed 11 of 12 footballs in the AFC title game were 2 pounds per square inch or more under the minimum, which turned the story into a scandal because it suggest significant and purposeful manipulation. In fact, the NFL's own measurements showed that story completely wrong and the deflation levels were far less, some even within an acceptable range.

The Patriots were convinced the NFL leaked the fake story in the first place. The least the NFL could do, New England argued, was set the record straight.

"What is unconscionable to me is that the league holds data that could very well exonerate us from any wrongdoing and completely dismiss the rampant reports and allegations of nefarious actions, but the league refuses to provide the date," James wrote to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello in an email that also complained about another inaccurate ESPN story that, citing league sources, claimed Patriots ball boys tried to insert kicking balls into the AFC championship game.

"I cannot comprehend how withholding the range of PSIs measured in the game is beneficial to the NFL or the Patriots," James continued. "? if we had been provided this data within days of the original report, we could have changed the narrative of this story before it led all national news and the damage was done. It has been over 4 weeks and we still can't get a simple detail that I assume was available the night of the AFC Championship Game!"

Later Glaser, the Patriots' attorney, forwarded this to NFL general counsel, Jeff Pash, asking the league to correct the inaccurate info, not to mention stop leaking fake information in the first place. Glaser mentioned the Patriots asked that Ted Wells' report be extended to include an investigation into the media leaks and the NFL refused to expand the scope of the probe.

"This is just unacceptable," Glaser wrote. " ? We hereby DEMAND that the misinformation included in this ESPN piece be formally and publically corrected by the League IMMEDIATELY."

It wasn't. Pash, for his part, suggested that he didn't believe the league office was the source of the leaks and correcting it would create more attention to the story. Glaser responded by noting the only two parties with the information are the Patriots and the NFL, and the team wouldn't put out damaging information against itself. As for further coverage, the Pats welcomed it because it would be accurate.

"We have cooperated fully and expediently with Attorney [Ted] Wells and are now seriously starting to question whether we should do that while our public image and brand continues to be unnecessarily and irreparably tarnished by the League," Glaser wrote. "? We strongly urge you to publicly correct all the facts ASAP, and to bring your staff under control."

Pash again dismissed concerns and again asserted there was no issue with leaks. The NFL again declined to issue or publicly release the actual measurements. Glaser grew increasingly heated, calling the response "disingenuous."

"Jeff, you need to step up," Glaser wrote. "I can't tell you the number of times you've told me that you and your office work for us member clubs. It has been made resoundingly clear to us that your words are just a front. They have no substance at all.

"If you worked for us, you would have already released today a statement to the effect of, 'ESPN, you've got it wrong. You do not have full information, you are irresponsibly reporting information that is untrue and you need to stop,'" Glaser wrote.

Pash responded that he considered that a "personal and accusatory" [gee, you think?] and that was about it.

The false stories were never refuted until the facts came out buried deep in Wells' 243-page report.

New England released only select emails on Friday so who knows what else was written in the thread or what else it is holding back. What's clear is that early on in this, New England should have stopped trusting the NFL.

Instead Kraft did, got burned and is now eager to air some dirty laundry. With nothing left to lose, the Patriots may make Goodell wish he handled things differently.

It may also remind him that Kraft is as reasonable as anyone could hope for but hardly afraid of confrontation.

How tough is he? Consider back in 2013, when police were closing in on, but had not yet arrested Aaron Hernandez for murdering Odin Lloyd. One morning Hernandez showed up at Gillette Stadium to lift weights. Cops and media were hovering outside, helicopters churning above, as speculation ramped up. Inside Gillette, Patriots employees were smartly running for the hills, eager to not bump into a possible killer, if only because any interaction might drag them into a police investigation and maybe an eventual trial.

Kraft saw it differently. He heard Hernandez was in the weight room and against everyone's advice marched directly to it, found the tight end working out and promptly pulled him into a small office to the side. It was there he told Hernandez to look him in the eye and tell him, man-to-man, if he did it.

"He said he was not involved, that he was innocent," Kraft would testify at Hernandez's 2015 trial, where the owner was a critical prosecution witness because Hernandez offered an alibi that essentially forced his defense team to acknowledge his presence at the murder.

Robert Kraft really isn't someone to be trifled with.

Roger Goodell trifled with him though.

Earlier this week, Kraft apologized to Patriots fans for backing down on the fight and mocked Goodell as someone controlled by lawyers. This is like some kind of country club insult.

It was clear their one-time friendship was over and Goodell had not just lost a chief confidant, but created a bitter enemy. Kraft is savvy and freed from any sense of decorum or loyalty to the league. He knows very well how to speak a language of owners.

Friday's emails aren't about exonerating the Patriots. That ship has mostly sailed. It is about showing a league office drunk on power, overwhelmed by prejudice and completely ignoring the well-reasoned requests of a team.

How does Roger Goodell explain that kind of behavior, a league office perhaps making up stories about a team and, at the very least, letting them sit out there and cause havoc?

That's the question Robert Kraft wants front and center in front of his fellow owners and it's clear he's going to make it happen by any means necessary now.

So let the email leaking commence. "Personal and accusatory" may be just getting started.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »

I think if you read the chain of emails, instead of letting someone interpret it.....both sides look pretty equally bad. And, again, there is a lot of context in the emails, that you lose if you read the article. I know if i am getting pestered, at work, daily, when i've said i'm working on it...I get testy, too.

And national, or not, look at the author. Wink

Wetzel is a native of Norwell, Massachusetts and a 1994 graduate of the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he was editor of the campus newspaper (The Daily Collegian) and majored in political science.

I mean.....i'm not sure that WE can be sure there isnt a rooting interest there, eh? Looking back at his articles on the subject, they seem pretty slanted, to me. Maybe thats honest/objective reporting from him. But given his background...i'm not sure.

And to answer the Mortenson question from the other post....not yet. Between the trade deadline stuff yesterday and a rather huge house/yard project (i'm on lunch break right now), I missed it. Help a brother out with a link so i dont have to hunt?

I'm sure its good for a laugh.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:48:33 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2015, 02:48:57 PM »

I think if you read the chain of emails, instead of letting someone interpret it.....both sides look pretty equally bad. And, again, there is a lot of context in the emails, that you lose if you read the article. I know if i am getting pestered, at work, daily, when i've said i'm working on it...I get testy, too.

Wetzel is a native of Norwell, Massachusetts and a 1994 graduate of the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he was editor of the campus newspaper (The Daily Collegian) and majored in political science.

I mean.....i'm not sure that WE can be sure there isnt a rooting interest there, eh? Looking back at his articles on the subject, they seem pretty slanted, to me. Maybe thats honest/objective reporting from him. But given his background...i'm not sure.

And to answer the Mortenson question from the other post....not yet. Between the trade deadline stuff yesterday and a rather huge house/yard project (i'm on lunch break right now), I missed it. Help a brother out with a link so i dont have to hunt?

I noticed Wetzel's local affiliation after I posted that. Can't slip anything by you. I did read the chain of emails myself. That could be just the tip of the iceberg, as they may release even more. We'll see. It was also reported yesterday on WEEI, so take it for what it's worth, that league official Mike Kensil was the leak who got this all started. He's been a central figure in this whole thing, as he's supposedly had an axe to grind with Belichick Back to their days with the Jets. Some people believe he helped orchestrate this to get back at Bill. Again, just a theory. Nothing concrete to back it up, and I doubt it'll ever be confirmed if it is indeed the case.

Here's a link to the Mortensen story. I didn't check on the reporter, hope he passes the smell test.  hihi Hope the yard work goes well.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mortensen-skips-boston-radio-interview-for-false-psi-report/ar-BBlgwIA?srcref=rss

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »

Not sure I agree completely with the sentiment from this article that Goodell is actually making Brady a sympathetic figure. Especially when he was eloquently labeled a "douchebag" on this very board the other day. But Brady WAS recently voted as the most influential man in football over Goodell, and he led the league in jersey sales over the past year. So maybe there's something to it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/tom-brady-sympathy-for-the-devil-20150731

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2015, 03:26:56 PM »

I noticed Wetzel's local affiliation after I posted that. Can't slip anything by you. I did read the chain of emails myself. That could be just the tip of the iceberg, as they may release even more. We'll see. It was also reported yesterday on WEEI, so take it for what it's worth, that league official Mike Kensil was the leak who got this all started. He's been a central figure in this whole thing, as he's supposedly had an axe to grind with Belichick Back to their days with the Jets. Some people believe he helped orchestrate this to get back at Bill. Again, just a theory. Nothing concrete to back it up, and I doubt it'll ever be confirmed if it is indeed the case.

Here's a link to the Mortensen story. I didn't check on the reporter, hope he passes the smell test.  hihi Hope the yard work goes well.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mortensen-skips-boston-radio-interview-for-false-psi-report/ar-BBlgwIA?srcref=rss

I think thats a pretty fair report.

It also goes toward my hatred of "unnamed sources".

Yard work going well. Gatorade break, then back to it. Almost done!

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2015, 08:28:01 PM »

The longer this thing goes on, the less people are swayed. Minds were made up early on and you either chose to believe Brady or the NFL. But some people are seeing how shady the NFL has been from the beginning. Making up stuff as they go along to fit their narrative and string the public along. Seriously, where's the investigation on the way they've handled themselves in all of this?

I know some people have trouble seeing past the deflator text, the bathroom trip on the way to the field, etc. But I have a hard time believing anything the NFL says when it appears they're either lying or changing their stories time and again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/08/05/roger-goodell-misled-me-brady-appeal-transcript-shows/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/05/transcript-proves-nfl-didnt-know-air-pressure-could-drop-naturally/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/04/ruling-mischaracterizes-bradys-testimony-about-communications-with-jastremski

I'd feel bad for Mortensen if he wasn't a main reason this story spun out of control. But he is, so I don't. He has looked like a fool this past week. He can't bring himself to admit he got bad info from his sources and just apologize for it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/04/six-months-later-mortensen-deletes-inaccurate-deflategate-tweet/

And did the Ravens tip off the Colts or not? Who to believe?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/04/ravens-assistant-alerted-colts-to-issue-with-footballs/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13380713/baltimore-ravens-deny-tipping-indianapolis-colts-new-england-patriots-deflated-footballs

I know I'm biased, but I think things are pointing back in the Patriots direction ever so slightly after the NFL came out with their scandalous and meaningless "Brady destroyed cellphone" headline last week.

Edit - I can't leave my man Dan Wentzel out
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/roger-goodell-s-manipulation-of-tom-brady-s-testimony-leaves-nfl-on-slippery-slope-214409591-nfl.html
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:25:03 PM by faldor » Logged

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2015, 01:32:58 PM »

So...uh...apparently Gino Smith walked into the Jets locker room this morning and got sucker punched. Broken Jaw. Out 6 to 10 weeks.

They released the player who did it (who's name I'm not going to try to spell), pretty much on the spot.

Here, I found a good copy paste of the guy who did it:

Linebacker IK Enemkpali
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:42:26 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »

Shaun Suisham is done for the year with a torn ACL from a botched tackle during the HOF Game Cry

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2015, 03:53:44 PM »

So...uh...apparently Gino Smith walked into the Jets locker room this morning and got sucker punched. Broken Jaw. Out 6 to 10 weeks.

They released the player who did it (who's name I'm not going to try to spell), pretty much on the spot.

Linebacker IK Enemkpali
Only in New York. You can't make this shit up.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »

Linebacker IK Enemkpali
Only in New York. You can't make this shit up.

And if you did, nobody would watch it, because its too unbelievable.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: