Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 NFL Season
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 NFL Season  (Read 146072 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #560 on: January 29, 2016, 11:52:44 AM »

It tough to say what Bill should have done on 4th and 1 in that case... hind sight being 20/20 we know that they got 3 possessions so technically if they just kicked 3 field goals they would have won by 1 point... at the same time if they got the TD with about 5 minutes left and even missed the 2 point conversion they still would probably get one more possession only needing a FG to win if they get a stop on defense, which was likely. Denver punted 9 times in the game and only gained 83 yards in the 4th quarter (with 30 of that coming on a single run). When Peyton could have put the game away with about 2:20 to go, he went 3 and out and only burned 11 seconds off of the clock before punting.
In the past the Patriots have lived and died with their offense because that was their clear strength. This year, and especially on Sunday, their defense was better than their offense. So I would have taken the points and had confidence the D would continue to keep the Broncos in check. Their offense was just so one dimensional and ineffective on Sunday, I didn't have high hopes they could even gain a yard in that situation.

I get the decision. It's far from the worst coaching decision ever made, I just didn't agree with it at the time and I agreed with it even less after they didn't pick up the first and with how the rest of the game played out. But I honestly thought it was a mistake before any of that happened.

I am admittedly a fan of being super aggressive in almost any 4th and short(in opponents territory/field goal range) or 4th and goal situation, especially early in games or when the game has been trying. So part of that is probably why I am in favor of those decisions. With the game on the line, even struggling, I'd much rather have the ball in the hands of Tom Brady then relying on a defensive stop. Not even Tom Brady necessarily, even watching other teams I hate when teams are inside the five and kick field goals early in games. I always say go for the points, you have lots of time to make up for it if you don't get it. Even late in games when teams are up by 3 I hate when they go conservative inside the redzone, kick a field goal and go up by 6. I'm a much bigger fan of going for it, and if you don't get it the team has a long field ahead of them and will most likely play more conservative and for the tie down by only 3.

Even in this game, I see Denver being more aggressive offensively if the Patriots kick field goals as a Patriot touchdown would now win the game. Ahead by 7 or 8, teams are more likely to be conservative and rely on a defensive stop. Though I have probably spent too much time the last couple years reading stuff by guys like Bill Barnwell, following advance anayltics in football with win probabilities, fourth down probabilities and stuff from Football Outsiders, Pro Football Focus and others that have turned me into being a much bigger fan of aggressive play. Which definitely goes against what has been conventional for the NFL over the years.

its an interesting conversation to have.
That's a valid point. If the Pats do kick the FG there and cut the lead to 5, it's possible the Broncos would have been a little more aggressive with the ball. But I think they still would have trusted their defense to make a stop. Both defenses played great that day. Both offenses struggled. Peyton played a smart, safe game. It would have been risky to all of a sudden ask him to take some chances while protecting a 5 point lead.

Again, for the most part I agree with Belichick's decisions and aggressive nature. You really can't argue with he overall results. But the way things were going on Sunday I didn't agree with the call. Points were so hard to come by, and they still had all of their timeouts left. I'm taking the points. Especially since their running game was nonexistent. I didn't really like the play they called either. I would've rather seen a Brady sneak, but maybe they thought since the line was so bad, that wasn't a good option. He's great at picking up that 1 yard though normally. Maybe they figured the Broncos would be looking for it.

Oh well, on to next season. Now I know for sure that I don't want the Pats to play the Giants or at Denver. I really thought this would be the year to get over that hump of losing in Denver. I thought they were the more talented team, by a good margin. It just wasn't meant to be.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #561 on: February 03, 2016, 11:07:39 AM »

Out of curiosity are you patriot guys going to watch Sunday ?

I know Sunday is more of an American holiday rather than a game anymore ...and everybody watches...

But I ask because if the Giants ever lost a NFC title game ... I don't think I could stomach watching the super bowl.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #562 on: February 03, 2016, 11:27:14 AM »

I am headed to Vegas this weekend to catch the game.  I am cheering for Denver, but I don't think they will win.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #563 on: February 03, 2016, 11:36:10 AM »

I am headed to Vegas this weekend to catch the game.  I am cheering for Denver, but I don't think they will win.

Come on bacon... reschedule.. come to vegas April 8th and 9th instead  ok

I'm also rooting for Denver... would be cool to see Peyton go out in style.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #564 on: February 03, 2016, 12:17:59 PM »

I know Sunday is more of an American holiday rather than a game anymore ...and everybody watches...

But I ask because if the Giants ever lost a NFC title game ... I don't think I could stomach watching the super bowl.

In years past, I?d avoid sports talk radio, espn, etc at all costs for weeks after a Boston/New England loss.
Thankfully the defeats don?t sting like they one did. Guess I?m getting old.

I?ll be watching, but my eyes won?t be glued to the screen like they were last year.
And since I don?t really care who wins, should be a hell of a lot less stressful to watch.

Part of me wants to see Peyton go out on top, but the other wants to see that Denver defense get mauled..
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #565 on: February 03, 2016, 12:24:39 PM »

In years past, I?d avoid sports talk radio, espn, etc at all costs for weeks after a Boston/New England loss.

I?ll be watching, but my eyes won?t be glued to the screen like they were last year.
And since I don?t really care who wins, should be a hell of a lot less stressful to watch.

Part of me wants to see Peyton go out on top, but the other wants to see that Denver defense get mauled..

lol

I am the same way... I usually have sports radio on at work all day long.... but after a bad Yankee or Giant loss I can't deal with it.

Also... lets face it... between the Bruins Celtics Red Sox and Pats the past decade or so... you guys are spoiled... so that's also why the loss doesn't sting as much.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #566 on: February 03, 2016, 01:13:25 PM »

lol

I am the same way... I usually have sports radio on at work all day long.... but after a bad Yankee or Giant loss I can't deal with it.

Also... lets face it... between the Bruins Celtics Red Sox and Pats the past decade or so... you guys are spoiled... so that's also why the loss doesn't sting as much.

It?s funny how it sets up the week.
Leading up to a big game, I?ll read countless articles, all of which end up saying the same thing in different words.
Or read the ?experts? predictions. I eat it all up.

Then after a big win, get to read all the articles dissecting the game in every was possible.

But after a loss, the last thing I want to hear is what those assholes have to say.
It certainly frees up a lot of time. What am I supposed to do now? My job?
Nah, I?ll see what?s going on over at HTGTH.

Yea, we truly are spoiled of late.
Enjoying the Pats run while it lasts, because I remember the long days of suck before Brady/Belichick arrived.

I used to drink myself stupid, living and dying with each Sox game, but after decades of futility, I?ve got nothing to complain about now.

And I?d put the C?s 2008 Championship up with all of them because that?s the one I never saw coming.
I was perfectly content watching the Jim Obrien?s live by the 3, die by the 3, Antoine shimmy era Celtics.
If you told me I?d get to witness Pierce winning MVP of the Finals, over Kobe?s Lakers to boot? Never would have believed it.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #567 on: February 03, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »

Come on bacon... reschedule.. come to vegas April 8th and 9th instead  ok

I'm also rooting for Denver... would be cool to see Peyton go out in style.

Wish I could do both....   I will be doing plenty of travelling I think to see Guns in the near future
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #568 on: February 03, 2016, 02:23:53 PM »

lol

Leading up to a big game, I?ll read countless articles, all of which end up saying the same thing in different words.

Then after a big win, get to read all the articles dissecting the game in every was possible.

But after a loss, the last thing I want to hear is what those assholes have to say.

Enjoying the Pats run while it lasts, because I remember the long days of suck before Brady/Belichick arrived.

I used to drink myself stupid, living and dying with each Sox game, but after decades of futility, I?ve got nothing to complain about now.

And I?d put the C?s 2008 Championship up with all of them because that?s the one I never saw coming.
I was perfectly content watching the Jim Obrien?s live by the 3, die by the 3, Antoine shimmy era Celtics.
If you told me I?d get to witness Pierce winning MVP of the Finals, over Kobe?s Lakers to boot? Never would have believed it.

How Antoine Walker blew thru 100 million is really mind boggling to me...... ha

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #569 on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:07 PM »

Its the superbowl so still watch. I get through it by extensive gambling. I'm in a couple more number pools the years patriots lose AFC Championship, bet on more prop bets, regular betting, just all kinds of money flowing this week.  hihi

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #570 on: February 03, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »

Its the superbowl so still watch. I get through it by extensive gambling. I'm in a couple more number pools the years patriots lose AFC Championship, bet on more prop bets, regular betting, just all kinds of money flowing this week.  hihi

Im right with you... Monday could be very joyous or i'm scrambling to buy lunch ..one or the other haha

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #571 on: February 03, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »

Im right with you... Monday could be very joyous or i'm scrambling to buy lunch ..one or the other haha

Right? My wallet will be small come Monday, I'm sure. I'm not a good gambler, haha.

There's an actual prop bet for if there will be an earthquake during the superbowl. You get 10-1 odds. Was thinking of laying 10 bucks but thought rooting for an earthquake is way too fucked up.  hihi

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #572 on: February 03, 2016, 08:02:05 PM »

Right? My wallet will be small come Monday, I'm sure. I'm not a good gambler, haha.

There's an actual prop bet for if there will be an earthquake during the superbowl. You get 10-1 odds. Was thinking of laying 10 bucks but thought rooting for an earthquake is way too fucked up.  hihi
hihi  That would be a bit messed up. Maybe just cheer for a minor earthquake, or does it have to register a certain level?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #573 on: February 03, 2016, 08:11:19 PM »

lol

Yep. I too read, watch, and listen to everything leading up to a big game and following a win. I avoid all those things like the plague following a loss though. I've just recently started paying attention to football again. The loss didn't hurt as much. I just had this funny feeling that this year just wasn't meant to be with all the injuries, the way the regular season ended, the craziness leading to the divisional round game, etc. There were a lot of things working against them. But, I still felt like they were the better team, should have won, and would have given all of America a better game this Sunday.

I'll be watching. I don't think I'll be pulling for the Broncos, but I also won't be too upset if they win. But I don't see it happening. I think Carolina rolls. Rest easy Broncos fans, I thought the Pats would dispose of them quite easily too. So I could just grossly underestimate them. At least they can hope.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #574 on: February 03, 2016, 09:19:37 PM »

I just don't see any scenario where the Panthers don't trounce the Broncos. I could be very wrong but based on what they did to a very good Cardinals team i just don't think i am.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #575 on: February 03, 2016, 11:34:52 PM »

I just don't see any scenario where the Panthers don't trounce the Broncos. I could be very wrong but based on what they did to a very good Cardinals team i just don't think i am.
The only thing I can say in Denver's defense is, well a few things. They beat a pretty darn good Patriots team to get here, and they controlled the whole game. Even though they did get trounced two years ago in the SB, they do have the experience of at least preparing for the game. That's probably worth something. Whereas Carolina hasn't played in that many big games over the years. It's also tough to compare the two conferences. On the surface you'd say the NFC is better, and Carolina has been the best team most of the season. But, Arizona limped into the Championship game after barely getting by the Packers at home. And that Packers team wasn't great. Carolina played in a bad division and played the easiest schedule in the NFL this year. Not saying they're not good, just that they may not be AS good as they appear. Denver is playing great defense and if they can run the ball a little and Peyton continues to play smart football, they could have a chance.

So that's my case for an upset. But I don't necessarily see it playing out that way.

Sober_times
VIP

« Reply #576 on: February 04, 2016, 12:35:18 AM »

hihi  That would be a bit messed up. Maybe just cheer for a minor earthquake, or does it have to register a certain level?

The earthquake has too be mentioned during the broadcast. So if its big enough for a mention, you win. Funny stuff. hihi

I miss Edge!

P.S. Cena Sucks!
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #577 on: February 04, 2016, 08:54:44 AM »

The only thing I can say in Denver's defense is, well a few things. They beat a pretty darn good Patriots team to get here, and they controlled the whole game. Even though they did get trounced two years ago in the SB, they do have the experience of at least preparing for the game. That's probably worth something. Whereas Carolina hasn't played in that many big games over the years. It's also tough to compare the two conferences. On the surface you'd say the NFC is better, and Carolina has been the best team most of the season. But, Arizona limped into the Championship game after barely getting by the Packers at home. And that Packers team wasn't great. Carolina played in a bad division and played the easiest schedule in the NFL this year. Not saying they're not good, just that they may not be AS good as they appear. Denver is playing great defense and if they can run the ball a little and Peyton continues to play smart football, they could have a chance.

So that's my case for an upset. But I don't necessarily see it playing out that way.

Only thing is against Brady... they knew he was never going to hand the ball off... so Miller and Ware could really time the snap and just take off and they beat the hell out of him all game... they can't do that vs the Panther running game. Still... i think that defense is good enough to keep this close... and if it;s close in the 4th...either team can snatch it.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #578 on: February 04, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »

Only thing is against Brady... they knew he was never going to hand the ball off... so Miller and Ware could really time the snap and just take off and they beat the hell out of him all game... they can't do that vs the Panther running game. Still... i think that defense is good enough to keep this close... and if it;s close in the 4th...either team can snatch it.

BUT in the Pats game the home crowd was so loud they (The Pats) went to a silent count with an inexperienced OLine which allowed Ware and Miller to get into the backfield in some cases before the Offensive Tackles got out of their stance. That will not be an issue in Santa Clara... so I don't think the pressure will be the same as the AFC Championship plus Cam's ability to attack that edge rush with his feet are completely different than what you saw from Tom.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #579 on: February 05, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »

Panthers are going to win big.
I hope it's not a laugher.
Peyton may not finish this game.

That said, it sure would be nice to see Peyton win and retire on top.

Now...how do we get Axl and Slash to replace Coldplay and Beyonce?Huh??   Grin

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: