Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:11:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Flashback: Guns N' Roses Rise From the Ashes at Rock in Rio 2001
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flashback: Guns N' Roses Rise From the Ashes at Rock in Rio 2001  (Read 26107 times)
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« on: March 27, 2015, 10:52:44 AM »

A great deal of mystery surrounded Guns N' Roses when they emerged from an eight-year hibernation in January 2001 to play Brazil's Rock in Rio and a warmup gig at the House of Blues in Las Vegas. Axl Rose had been almost completely off the grid since the end of the Use Your Illusion Tour in 1993, popping up in the press only when he parted ways with members of the band and when he got arrested at the Phoenix airport in 1998 after threatening a security worker. There were reports he was working on a new album, but the only thing to emerge was the underwhelming "Oh My God" from the End of Days soundtrack in 1999.

GN'R fans were ecstatic when they learned the group was going to play Rock in Rio, and tickets for the Las Vegas show disappeared within seconds. Even with Slash, Duff McKagan, Steven Adler, Izzy Stradlin, Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke out of the band, people were just happy that Axl Rose was going to play live again and they were curious to see this new lineup. It included Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson, drummer Bryan "Brain" Mantia and guitarists Robin Finck and Buckethead, who played with a mask over his face and a KFC bucket on top of his head.

Contrary to much speculation, the Axl Rose who emerged from the shadows for these shows wasn't bald or fat. He stormed onstage at Rock in Rio at 2:00 a.m. in front of 190,000 screaming fans that had just sat through sets by Papa Roach and Oasis. "I know that many of you are disappointed that some of the people you came to know and love could not be with us here today," Rose said. "Regardless of what you have heard or read, people worked very hard to do everything they could so that I could not be here today. I am as hurt and disappointed as you that unlike Oasis, we could not find a way to all get along."

Their 25-song set opened up with "Welcome to the Jungle" (which you can watch right here) and focused largely on the groups hits, though they did preview three Chinese Democracy tracks that wouldn't be officially released for eight years. While everybody missed the old lineup, critics were largely impressed by the show.

"About 10 minutes into their set, it became clear that the new GN'R is a rock & roll event of the sort that a lot of people (well, me, anyway) have been waiting for for a long, long time," Kurt Loder wrote. "Where the reigning rap-metal acts of the moment ? Korn and Limp Bizkit and their ilk ? get over quite successfully on murk and muscle and pure sonic wallop, the new GN'R ? with only one-month's worth of rehearsal (this was their second gig) ? already played with a passion and precision that's unlikely to be matched in any other quarter anytime soon."

They could have used this momentum to launch a world tour, but instead they disappeared until a pair of shows at the Joint in Las Vegas nearly a year later. There wouldn't be an actual tour until the summer of 2002, and despite repeated assurances, Chinese Democracy was still a long ways away. By the time it came, the lineup of the group had already shifted around quite a bit. Like Axl says, it's too bad they find a way to get along as well as those guys in Oasis.

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flashback-guns-n-roses-rise-from-the-ashes-at-rock-in-rio-2001-20150324

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »

Pretty amazing night.

I scoured Kazaa and WinMX like a motherfucker in the weeks after trying to get all the tracks.

Jesus, I'm old.  Who here even remembers those services?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:43:10 PM »

I scoured Kazaa and WinMX like a motherfucker in the weeks after trying to get all the tracks.

Oh I do.  I was on Kazaa 6 times a day back then looking for rare stuff.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »

Did you find My Fellow Americans or Cat's In The Cradle?

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »

Did you find My Fellow Americans or Cat's In The Cradle?

Hahahaha

And that well known Guns N' Roses tune 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn'.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 04:55:45 PM »

Rock in Rio III was just amazing. The band delivered a tight performance and the audience was epic. One of my favourite GN'R gigs.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »

Pretty amazing night.

Damn, I had totally forgotten about WinMX. It's all coming back to me now...  nervous

I DO remember downloading video from RIR in .rm (RealMedia) format. Not exactly HD..

Exciting times however.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »

I didn't know hardly anything about the internet back then so I went to my friend's house to hear whatever I could. Needless to say, I was blown away by Madagascar. Still my favorite performance of that song...studio or otherwise. Bucket kills and the rest of the band is just spot on....fuck, they all killed it. Reminded me so much of hearing Civil War at Farm Aid for the first time. Just awesome....maybe one day they could be AC/DC! Ha...suck it! ok

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:02:14 PM »

I still show this concert to anyone that will watch....  Usually have to feed and give them drink   haha.   

But it is my example of how this band should of been......

NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »

Even today I still hear "never mind" when I play the studio version of The Blues (SOD). LOL. They really gave it their all for this show (not they don't usually, but I think they really stepped it up).
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 10:01:49 PM »

I didn't know hardly anything about the internet back then so I went to my friend's house to hear whatever I could. Needless to say, I was blown away by Madagascar. Still my favorite performance of that song...studio or otherwise.

Me too.  I was hooked right from those opening chords.

My favorite version as well.  When I make playlists, I use this.

Sosso
VIP

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »

I hate the fact that recordings from the December 2001 shows are not available. Undecided
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:00:42 PM by Sosso » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 10:59:42 PM »

I hate the fact that recordings from the December 2001 shows are not available.  Undecided

Really weird they never came out.  Either show.

First one sounded like it was a clusterfuck, but that second one would be awesome to have.

GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 08:17:29 AM »

The 2001 lineup was like having King Kong, Godzilla, Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster all on the same stage.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »

What a great night!  The story (assuming it's true - not sure where I read about it) of Axl flying above in the helicopter and being in awe that so many people came out to see him is awesome.  And, all things considered, the jungle scream is one of my favorite.  The speech with Beta at the end speaks for itself.  Very heartfelt and amazing.
italian queen
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 02:34:46 AM »

He screamed so much that then he sang the rest of the sing in a bad way Smiley
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 04:55:07 AM »

Robin has his best ever solo durring this concert

Best ever guns line up ever

Last time I saw Axl runnimg the stage with a open shirt

Best band of this weekend was silverchair.   And unlike you all seem to be.  I was very keen to the Internet in the early 2000s.  And had many babes at my knees.   To the song miss you love.     Perfect song   Perfect setting
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 04:59:09 AM »

I am still watching it right now

The crowd is is still bouncing 1 hr 30 mins in. 

Def not a concet from the USA    M. M

Rio gets it
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 05:03:19 AM »

Ok I fast forward kohd

Can't stand that song
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »

I love that version...nice and simple...to each his own.  Kiss

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: