Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:40:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup  (Read 116913 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2015, 11:44:22 AM »

Well the way to answer that would be...why would the media care that the FORMER basist of GNR has written a book?

Im sure there arent too many bands where the press would care if the former bassist wrote a book. (Sorry to any bassists out there...including my own).

I think this has less to do with his persona. Meaning, he has a story to tell. A great story.
Add to that the fact that the story involves one of the last great rock bands that became popular in the 1900s.

A bunch of people get interviewed and have published books regarding their time in and around GN'R. There's definitely an interest in the topic.

I'm not saying anything about Duff's importance or his musicianship. I'm just saying there'd be less interest if GN'R had been more like..... Winger! Less drama to talk about.  hihi
Not that I know if there was any drama in Winger. Maybe that story is highly interesting....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »

Even if there has been a "cooling of the hatred" or whatever is being assumed that is still a LONG way off from a reunion actually taking place.  The band members still have to WANT to do it.  I don't know Axl, but judging from some quotes and interviews over the years it doesn't seem like  it's something he has any interest in doing.  Look at Oasis, yes the Gallagher brothers are known for their feuding, but Liam and Noel actually hang out occasionally and still Noel refuses to do put the band back together.  How often do Slash and Axl hang out?  The whole blink-182 fiasco the last few months got a little ugly, but Travis Barker in all his interviews talks  about how there is no hatred or animosity for Tom Delonge,  but they still can't work things out enough to make a new record and tour because Tom likes doing other projects.  Nobody seems to be taking into account that sometimes there are just things the ARTIST doesn't want to do, even if they are on not so terrible terms with eachother.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »

Even if there has been a "cooling of the hatred" or whatever is being assumed that is still a LONG way off from a reunion actually taking place.  The band members still have to WANT to do it.  I don't know Axl, but judging from some quotes and interviews over the years it doesn't seem like  it's something he has any interest in doing.  Look at Oasis, yes the Gallagher brothers are known for their feuding, but Liam and Noel actually hang out occasionally and still Noel refuses to do put the band back together.  How often do Slash and Axl hang out?  The whole blink-182 fiasco the last few months got a little ugly, but Travis Barker in all his interviews talks  about how there is no hatred or animosity for Tom Delonge,  but they still can't work things out enough to make a new record and tour because Tom likes doing other projects.  Nobody seems to be taking into account that sometimes there are just things the ARTIST doesn't want to do, even if they are on not so terrible terms with eachother.

I agree. I think all parties are very content with their current set ups.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2015, 12:16:03 PM »

So true.

These guys haven't so much as spoken in 20 years.  So you gotta walk before you can run.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »

If Slash and Axl worked out their personal differences, Slash could give Axl a tape and see if he was still inspired by what he heard.
I get the impression he hasn?t been inspired by his surrounding musicians since the Illusions.
Could be wrong, but how impressed with someones parts can you be if you are cutting and pasting it beyond recognition?
That?s not how the old band worked. They didn?t need to.
That magic between them could very well be, and most likely is dead and buried, but there?s only one way to find out.
I?m not personally sure I want to know.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2015, 12:33:51 PM »

Best you could hope for is a reunion tour or a small run of high profile shows.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2015, 12:44:31 PM »

I get the impression he hasn?t been inspired by his surrounding musicians since the Illusions.
Could be wrong, but how impressed with someones parts can you be if you are cutting and pasting it beyond recognition?

If you're using a part for a song, it's evident it's impressive enough.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but several old GN'R songs have this same "theme". Songs have different parts that almost sound like different songs.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »

I think he was inspired with his initial new band line-up (Bucket, Robin, Huge, Stinson, Reed, Brain).

But I think the gradual dissolution of that bunch has extinguished a good bit of his fire.  Its why when he seriously takes a look at what they are doing in regard to releasing another album, its poring over songs from that time period, over a decade ago now.  But you don't see the same fire to do anything new.  Didn't see it with Ron, don't see it with DJ. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »

Best you could hope for is a reunion tour or a small run of high profile shows.

Oh, no doubt.  That's absolutle best case.

They aren't making some other album.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »

If you're using a part for a song, it's evident it's impressive enough.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but several old GN'R songs have this same "theme". Songs have different parts that almost sound like different songs.

/jarmo

Well, they didn?t exactly go into the studio and bang Chinese Democracy out is my point.
Axl labored over it for much longer than anyone ever could have possibly anticipated.
The magic that was there at one point between the classic lineup was clearly absent from the later incarnations.

Maybe a reunion could spark it, but again, probably wishful thinking.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »

I think he was inspired with his initial new band line-up (Bucket, Robin, Huge, Stinson, Reed, Brain).

But I think the gradual dissolution of that bunch has extinguished a good bit of his fire.  Its why when he seriously takes a look at what they are doing in regard to releasing another album, its poring over songs from that time period, over a decade ago now.  But you don't see the same fire to do anything new.  Didn't see it with Ron, don't see it with DJ. 

I can see that, and could also understand how watching multiple lineups disintegrate could take the wind out of Axl?s sails, whether the damage be self inflicted or not.

That?s why I think it would be great for him to pursue a true solo career, but that?s another discussion.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »

Well, they didn?t exactly go into the studio and bang Chinese Democracy out is my point.
Axl labored over it for much longer than anyone ever could have possibly anticipated.
The magic that was there at one point between the classic lineup was clearly absent from the later incarnations.

It does not sound the least bit organic.

It sounds like a bunch of stuff recorded over time y several people and spliced together mad scientist style...basically, because that's what it is.

Any follow up will be the same thing, I reckon.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2015, 01:31:25 PM »

Well, they didn’t exactly go into the studio and bang Chinese Democracy out is my point.

Ugh.

Keep telling yourself that.
The fact that the band had to be rebuilt from pretty much scratch isn't an issue. Or all the other issues they had. Disregard all that and go with your fantasy that Axl wasn't inspired by the music.

Every song that was on the album has been performed live. Pretty good for a singer singing all those songs that didn't inspire him.

By the way, rewind to 1994. He wasn't exactly inspired by the Slash material back then.

/jarmo

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2015, 01:34:31 PM »

Well the way to answer that would be...why would the media care that the FORMER basist of GNR has written a book?

Im sure there arent too many bands where the press would care if the former bassist wrote a book. (Sorry to any bassists out there...including my own).

I think this has less to do with his persona. Meaning, he has a story to tell. A great story.
Add to that the fact that the story involves one of the last great rock bands that became popular in the 1900s.

A bunch of people get interviewed and have published books regarding their time in and around GN'R. There's definitely an interest in the topic.

I'm not saying anything about Duff's importance or his musicianship. I'm just saying there'd be less interest if GN'R had been more like..... Winger! Less drama to talk about.  hihi
Not that I know if there was any drama in Winger. Maybe that story is highly interesting....

/jarmo

Leave Debbie and Kip Winger out of this!  hihi

The interest in the current lineup is because of the name and connection to Axl.  The media isn't exactly jumping over each other for that Beatrazr exclusive.  And how many DJ, Richard, Ron or Tommy interviews have you seen where there was no GnR question asked.  I can't recall one.  The relevance of those guys, by and large, is because of their association with Axl and Guns.  

You need look no further and Ron.  Isn't it safe to assume that he'll slide right back into obscurity now that he's no longer in the band?  
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2015, 01:40:31 PM »

This makes me wonder. All the ones "needing" a reunion.

We're talking hypothetical scenarios here now.

So imagine it happened. A show, or a tour. And then that was it.
What would these people "need" next? Does anybody think they'd just be happy and feel their lives were complete?

If they had played together at the RNRHOF. Would it have stopped there?

I think, as usual, that it's not gonna be enough..... One "demand" is always followed by another.
Like when there's a campaign to get GN'R to play somewhere, and then a show or shows are announced, so the next camping starts for them to play certain material or to have a certain opening act.... Funny how that works.  Smiley

/jarmo

But that's not a reason to do nothing...because some people are going to want you to do more.  Since when do the concerns of "fans" come into the equation?  The man's built his career on doing things when he's ready.  IMO, if it feels right for him to do a reunion, he'll do it.  If it doesn't, he won't.  I think it could be as simple as that.  I just don't think a reason for not doing it is because some whiny, unhappy internet trolls will want more. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2015, 01:44:32 PM »

Leave Debbie and Kip Winger out of this!  hihi

Sorry! Wink

The interest in the current lineup is because of the name and connection to Axl.  The media isn't exactly jumping over each other for that Beatrazr exclusive.  And how many DJ, Richard, Ron or Tommy interviews have you seen where there was no GnR question asked.  I can't recall one.  The relevance of those guys, by and large, is because of their association with Axl and Guns.  

You need look no further and Ron.  Isn't it safe to assume that he'll slide right back into obscurity now that he's no longer in the band?  

Of course there's interest in the band because of Axl. That's what I said. People who hate him still talk and write about him.

But some seem to say the interest is based only on what happened decades ago. I don't agree. If that was the only matter, he would've been on one of those "Where Are they Now?" segments on some TV show.
Lots of artists have been famous decades ago and are pretty anonymous nowadays. It happens. Or, if they unfortunately didn't make it, they've become so called legends. People still talk about Kurt Cobain. But it's not about what he'll do next, it's what he did and what he might have done if he was here today. With Axl, people talk about the past, present and future.

People care, people talk. It's not because he sang Sweet Child. Yes, that's where some of the recognition comes from, people know him as the voice of that song. But it's not only that. It's because he's Axl Rose. And there's only one.

In short for people who don't wanna read all those sentences: There's interest in Axl Rose today because he's fucking Axl Rose. Not only because he sang a song people liked when they were teenagers.

ok

But that's not a reason to do nothing...because some people are going to want you to do more.  Since when do the concerns of "fans" come into the equation?  The man's built his career on doing things when he's ready.  IMO, if it feels right for him to do a reunion, he'll do it.  If it doesn't, he won't.  I think it could be as simple as that.  I just don't think a reason for not doing it is because some whiny, unhappy internet trolls will want more. 

I didn't say it was a reason for anything. I was just thinking out loud. How some people always "need" something.
Everybody knows certain people will never be happy. No matter how much they like to type out words claiming the opposite. Smiley

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »

The fact that the band had to be rebuilt from pretty much scratch isn't an issue. Or all the other issues they had. Disregard all that and go with your fantasy that Axl wasn't inspired by the music.

Well, there are many kinds of reconstruction.  There is having to rebuild after an act of god type storm.  And there is having to rebuild the house you torched for the insurance money.

And yes, all those songs were played live.  They are also from years ago now.

You can very easily make an argument that his fire has dimmed a bit though.  Any next album is culling tracks from that same period, YEARS ago.  Isn't like its going to include anything written in the past 10 years, by guys actually on the stage with him.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »

Yeah, that whole bit of schtick is not even logical.

He's supposedly paralyzed by his not being able to please everyone.  When he has not only never shown one iota of caring what people think, the same people that lean on this excuse will gleefully tell you that its that not caring about what anyone thinks that makes him awesome.

Hard to take that sort of thing seriously.  Pick a narrative and try and stay with it, at least in the course of the same paragraph.

WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »

So I mentioned earlier in the thread that Slash stopped by my office after the interview on CBS to film an interview for a new show we are producing.  I was talking to the producer who worked with Slash on the project and she said that off camera he talked to her about the interview and he said "I can't believe I said that".  He apparently knew right away that it was going to create a shitstorm.  

I will let you know when our interview airs with him.  I know he was asked (once again) about the animosity between him and Axl.  I don't know how he responded.  
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »

Ugh.

Keep telling yourself that.

Every song that was on the album has been performed live. Pretty good for a singer singing all those songs that didn't inspire him.

By the way, rewind to 1994. He wasn't exactly inspired by the Slash material back then.

/jarmo

Never said it was one or the other.
Obviously rebuilding the band was a factor.
Why was he in the position of having to rebuild the band?
Not being inspired seems to have played a part.

The guy hasn?t exactly been oozing with new material.
No one knows why. All speculation on yours and my part.

A lot of bands have managed to form and release more than 1 album in 24 years, so I don?t see how lack of inspiration is any less viable a theory than having to rebuild a band from scratch.

He wasn?t inspired by Slash?s songs in ?94, until he was. That part seems to be conveniently ignored.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: