Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Mayweather & Pacquiao fight
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mayweather & Pacquiao fight  (Read 19214 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« on: May 05, 2015, 06:28:15 AM »

Considering Pac is having shoulder surgery, and will be out at least 9 to 12 months (and maybe he'll just retire).....and Mayweather only has one more deal on his Showtime contract (for September)....I think it's gonna be tough to get another fight between those two any time soon.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:40:07 PM by jarmo » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:10:33 AM »

Don't Duck The Fans.

Wow..that is the funniest tweet ever! I hope he appreciates the irony.

Hahahaha

As for the fight, yeah, it appears Manny was hurt.  But I'm a pretty big boxing fan and seen just about every Floyd fight since 2001.  That's how they all go, pretty much.

Guy might win a few early rounds.  But then Floyd gets his timing down and dominates the second half of the fight.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 02:15:36 PM »

I do not think there will be a rematch either. Really this fight should have happened five years ago, when both boxers were at their best. Mayweather will hopefully fight Khan next before retiring. He will probably fight an easier match though. Pacquiao will probably retire as he is running for the presidency of the Philippines.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:26:52 PM »

I do not think there will be a rematch either. Really this fight should have happened five years ago, when both boxers were at their best. Mayweather will hopefully fight Khan next before retiring. He will probably fight an easier match though. Pacquiao will probably retire as he is running for the presidency of the Philippines.

The surgery will cost him a year.

A year off at that age?  For a high energy, pressure fighter, volume puncher?

I don't love the odds.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 02:35:54 PM »

Also, although Pacquiao is the younger man, Mayweather has definitely coped with the aging process better. His loses to Tim Bradley and Marquez in 2012 demonstrated a definite slump. But they are both not young men and Mayweather wants to protect his undefeated record; he will probably fulfill that Showtime fight and retire. Hopefully it will be v Khan. Manny probably should have retired in 2011 and saved himself them last three defeats.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 02:39:39 PM »

Also, although Pacquiao is the younger man, Mayweather has definitely coped with the aging process better. His loses to Tim Bradley and Marquez in 2012 demonstrated a definite slump. But they are both not young men and Mayweather wants to protect his undefeated record; he will probably fulfill that Showtime fight and retire. Hopefully it will be v Khan. Manny probably should have retired in 2011 and saved himself them last three defeats.

Oh, come on.  That "loss" to Bradley was a travesty of justice.

And the Marquez that showed up for that 4th fight was as roided up as anyone from the WWF in the late 80s.  It was comical.

But overall, I agree Floyd is in far better shape.  The benefits of a style where you hit but don't get hit.  The guy is amazing.  Total dickbag of a person, but one amazing fighter.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 02:46:37 PM »

Freaking Time Warner... I had to watch the fight in NON high def...

I love how Samsung paid Manny 2 MILLION to take that selfie while walking to the ring.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »

Freaking Time Warner... I had to watch the fight in NON high def...

I love how Samsung paid Manny 2 MILLION to take that selfie while walking to the ring.

Yeah, and you could tell Freddie was annoyed by that too.

But, hey...2 million bucks is 2 million bucks.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:13:24 PM »

The news sites are now reporting that Mayweather is offering a rematch within a year.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 08:04:23 PM »

I lost interest in boxing a long time ago. However, if there was one fight that I would have love to have seen would be Mayweather v. a younger Mike Tyson.
EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 08:48:06 PM »

I lost interest in boxing a long time ago. However, if there was one fight that I would have love to have seen would be Mayweather v. a younger Mike Tyson.

HEAVYWEIGHT Mike Tyson vs. Welterweight Floyd? You know that fight will not last 30 seconds right?
mortismurphy
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 08:52:15 PM »

Floyd would certainly have to move up the weight classes. The highest he has fought is, light middleweight.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 10:16:21 PM »

Fake Fight.. Horror !!!

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 11:00:37 PM »

Floyd would certainly have to move up the weight classes. The highest he has fought is, light middleweight.

Floyd against a more in his prime Shane Mosley would have been excellent.  Or the young Meldrick Taylor.

I would love to have seen him with Roy Jones, but Roy was too big for him.

mortismurphy
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 02:57:03 AM »

Roberto Duran began professionally as a lightweight and was fighting at super middle by the end of his career. Also he was competitive to the end and winning titles so it was not just a case of an old fighter making weight through a beer gut. Mayweather seems to have settled on welter or he would have stuck at light middle (or continued to move up) when he fought Cotto/La Hoya. Probably one of the reasons, beyond natural weight, is that the welterweight divisions have been the most impressive weight divisions for a number of years. Usually there has to be a big name to entice fighters to move up weight divisions. Now there is GGG but it is probably too late for a Mayweather vs Golovkin match-up sadly.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:59:48 AM by mortismurphy » Logged
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »

I haven't followed boxing at all in recent years, so don't know much about Mayweather.  How would he have fared against the 70s/80s greats, like Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Chavez, etc.?
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 09:59:38 AM »

LAS VEGAS, May 4 (UPI) -- Despite a loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. Saturday, Manny Pacquiao's pockets were weighed down by a possible $100 million. But now Pacquiao is headed for the operating room.
Pacquiao will have surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder, but the bad news doesn't end there.

Pacquiao also faces possible disciplinary action from Nevada boxing officials for not disclosing the injury before the Mayweather bout, according to multiple reports.

Pacquiao will have the surgery in Los Angeles and will be be out from 4 to 6 months, his advisor reported to the Los Angeles Times.

Pacquiao, who checked "no" on a commission questionnaire asking if he had a shoulder injury, the day before the fight, could face a fine or suspension.

"We will gather all the facts and follow the circumstances," Nevada Athletic Commission chairman Francisco Aguilar told Fox Sports. "At some point we will have some discussion. As a licensee of the commission you want to make sure fighters are giving you up-to-date information."

Pacquiao disclosed the injury in a post-fight press conference.

"Three weeks before my fight I had to skip my training for a couple of days for that reason," Pacquiao told Sky Sports. "We went for an MRI ? there is a tear in my right shoulder. I cannot use my right shoulder a lot. The fight was still good. But what we wanted to do, we could not do because of my shoulder."

"The thing is in the third round I already felt the pain in my shoulder. When I threw a lot of combinations I had to back off because it hurt."

"But he's fast ? he's a good boxer. Give credit to him ? he won tonight."

The high-profile bout, which costs at-home fans more than $100, was a dissapointment to some, including Guns N' Roses front man, Axl Rose. Rose tweeted Monday that there should be a rematch, aired for free.

"May/Pac the Free-Match," Rose wrote. "No injuries. No holding. No PPV," Rose wrote. "Boxing greats don't duck the fans."

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 10:08:24 AM »

I haven't followed boxing at all in recent years, so don't know much about Mayweather.  How would he have fared against the 70s/80s greats, like Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Chavez, etc.?

Pretty well.  He is extremely hard to hit clean.  Very tough match-up for anybody.

And don't buy into this "all he does is run" crap people try and sell you.  He beat the ever living shit out of guys like Diego Corrales (knocked down 5 times), Arturo Gatti (corner threw in the towel after 6 rounds) and Ricky Hatton (drilled him so hard, he fell into the turnbuckle and went down and out).

mortismurphy
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 12:25:29 PM »

Nah, he would get slaughtered by Hagler and Leonard at anywhere near their prime and would probably struggle against Duran and Hearns also. Boxing does not have anything like the quality of fighters it once had. The heavyweight division is worse.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »

Nah, he would get slaughtered by Hagler and Leonard at anywhere near their prime and would probably struggle against Duran and Hearns also. Boxing does not have anything like the quality of fighters it once had. The heavyweight division is worse.

I don't know about that. 

Hagler was completely outsmarted by Leonard.  Marvin gave away so many early rounds.  And then insisting afterwards that he should have stood and traded, with was never Ray's style.  And would have been total suicide against a monster like Hagler.

I think Ray is a tougher fight for Floyd than Marvin.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: