Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:01:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Mayweather & Pacquiao fight
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mayweather & Pacquiao fight  (Read 19221 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »

I watched the PPV from home.  Cost roughly 100 bux

I have been a boxing fan since the early Mike Tyson days and have been a MMA fan since the early 90s.  Pretty much have been a pro fight fan all my all my life

What I watched on Saturday was a complete joke.  What should of been this great epic event.  Turned into a one fight card that was a total snooze fest

People are defending Mayweather for his performance   Saying how he is a great counter fighter and always fights this way, blow my mind.  What if Manny boxed that match like Floyed?  What if Manny backed up the entire fight like Floyed and waited for the counter punch.  The fight would of been booed out of the building, as it should of been.

The undercard was a total joke.  The arena was 90 percent empty until the main event.   So if the people in the crowd don't care about the undercards, why should I care watching at home.

There were no special attraction on the card, nothing to make it stand out as a event.

It may go down as the biggest fight ever.  But what it did more than anything was turn off the casual boxing fan from ever ordering a PPV again.  Boxing is dead
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 01:58:35 PM »

People are defending Mayweather for his performance   Saying how he is a great counter fighter and always fights this way, blow my mind.  What if Manny boxed that match like Floyed?  What if Manny backed up the entire fight like Floyed and waited for the counter punch.  The fight would of been booed out of the building, as it should of been.

But if you've been a boxing fan going back 25 years, surely you've seen a few Floyd fights.  Was what you saw on Saturday terribly different than what you usually get?

His fights aren't exactly action packed.  You get an outlier like the Gatti fight, where he came to destroy because he was pissed (legitimately, in my opinion) that people considered Gatti a fighter on his level.  So he beat the shit out of him.  But most times, that's the deal.  The other guy can't figure Floyd out, his punch output decreases as the fight wears on, and Floyd wins a wide decision.

Your beef is with Manny, in my opinion.  Floyd fought his fight, but Manny did not fight his.  The whole allure of this fight for 5 years was that Manny would go at him like a house on fire and force Floyd out of his comfort zone.  Manny came up super small on that front.  That fight looked like every Floyd fight I've seen for 10 years, but looked like no Manny fight I had ever seen, ever.

As for the general public, what can you do?  You don't want to big time the casual fan and belittle their lack of knowledge, but how can you not at a certain point?  Casuals tune in expecting to see Rocky Balboa-Ivan Drago.  That's not real life.  And even if some boxing fights are more action packed, that's never the case with Floyd.

Hopefully, you'll wander on down to whatever Siberia this gets moved to, because that's going to happen real soon after I hit the post button here.  But always interested to talk to a fellow boxing fan.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 02:14:05 PM »

The thing is Floyd hasn't always fought like this.  It was nearly around the time he switched his nickname from "pretty boy" to "money" where he developed this safer more defensive approach.  I wont even call it an approach, when all the guy does is run backwards.  Play the ropes, and then hug his way out of any danger.

So here is Floyd, fighting a guy with a broken shoulder a guy that hasn't any speed in his hands for years, a guy that a couple of fights ago almost took a death punch and was knocked out for a very long time and a guy that looked a lot smaller than him...  But yet Mayweather still had to run backwards the entire fight.  I don't care if that is what he has done for his past fights.  Would Manny had to show up in a wheel chair with his arm in a sling, in order for Floyd to get out of safe zone.

Hell I have never lost a pro boixing fight either!  But I have also never had one..   Pretty much sums up Floyde

And trust me the general public Is very a where that not all fights are like a Rocky movie...   They all don't have to be boxing snobs..  What happened on sat was a joke and not a boxing match

mortismurphy
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »

Nah, he would get slaughtered by Hagler and Leonard at anywhere near their prime and would probably struggle against Duran and Hearns also. Boxing does not have anything like the quality of fighters it once had. The heavyweight division is worse.

I don't know about that. 

Hagler was completely outsmarted by Leonard.  Marvin gave away so many early rounds.  And then insisting afterwards that he should have stood and traded, with was never Ray's style.  And would have been total suicide against a monster like Hagler.

I think Ray is a tougher fight for Floyd than Marvin.

I love those two fighters though. I think they both would have beaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. Both were, slightly, past their best when they fought but it ended up in a very close and exciting contest. You have to remember that Hagler totally dominated the middle weight division before that. Him and Monzon for, ''best mw ever'' in my opinion. He was a tactically brilliant fighter also, a switch hitter.
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquio-rematch
mortismurphy
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 09:02:02 PM »

I do not think this will be the contracted last fight. He honestly must be thinking about prolonging his career.
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 10:03:44 PM »

I haven't followed boxing at all in recent years, so don't know much about Mayweather.  How would he have fared against the 70s/80s greats, like Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Chavez, etc.?

Pretty well.  He is extremely hard to hit clean.  Very tough match-up for anybody.

And don't buy into this "all he does is run" crap people try and sell you.  He beat the ever living shit out of guys like Diego Corrales (knocked down 5 times), Arturo Gatti (corner threw in the towel after 6 rounds) and Ricky Hatton (drilled him so hard, he fell into the turnbuckle and went down and out).

I'm probably biased because I've met Hagler and he's a hell of a guy (from my brief meetings), but I believe he would have fucking decimated Mayweather. Absolutely killed him. He was merciless. That said, I don't think it's fair to compare the two because Hagler was a true middleweight and Floyd isn't. Leonard in his prime also would have destroyed Floyd and Duran probably would have, too, all for the same reasons.

Hearns could hit (no put intended) but he had a brittle jaw. I think Floyd would take him. Chavez is a tough one to call. Oscar beat him but he was nearing the end of his career. I think Floyd would have a shot though.

I agree  Floyd is an amazing defensive fighter and he can hit. I watched the May-Pac fight and it was what I expected although not what I hoped. I think a lot of folks who were tuning in to a fight for the first time were hoping for a Rocky movie-like battle and were deservedly disappointed. My unofficial scorecard had Floyd 7-5, but whatever.

For me, that will be the last Floyd fight I watch if only because I've watched his fights in hopes that he'd lost the only two people he's fought that I thought had an an iota of a chance - Manny and Canelo - got beat. Damn, that Canelo fight was freaking depressing actually.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 09:42:08 AM »

For me, that will be the last Floyd fight I watch if only because I've watched his fights in hopes that he'd lost the only two people he's fought that I thought had an an iota of a chance - Manny and Canelo - got beat. Damn, that Canelo fight was freaking depressing actually.

But did you think Canelo really had a chance?  I thought he was far too slow to be a real threat.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »

I think Mayweather wouldve beat Chavez. Chavez alway had issues with slick boxers ( and they dont get any slicker than Floyd). Pernell Whitaker for all intents and purposes beat Chavez (even though Chavez got the decision), and he was losing to Meldrick Taylor until that terrible stoppage with 2 seconds left.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:47 AM »

I think Mayweather wouldve beat Chavez. Chavez alway had issues with slick boxers ( and they dont get any slicker than Floyd). Pernell Whitaker for all intents and purposes beat Chavez (even though Chavez got the decision), and he was losing to Meldrick Taylor until that terrible stoppage with 2 seconds left.

I just rewatched that HBO 'Legendary Nights' last week.

I used to say that too, about he stoppage.  But Meldrick was in some bad, bad shape.  Hell, the end of the 11th, he goes to the wrong corner.

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: