Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:01:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  In a perfect world, what would the ideal situation be?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In a perfect world, what would the ideal situation be?  (Read 59074 times)
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2015, 01:45:41 PM »

I would like to see a greatest hits volume 2 released.

I would like the set list to be picked by Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy.

I would like the album to also have around 4-6 unlreased bonus tracks on it...  These bonus tracks would be from the CD recordings.

This all sounds good, but probably only to the few remaining members of the fanbase that can appreciate both old and new.

I can only see Axl, Slash and Duff sitting down to do a GH2 is there is some sort of reunion tour.

If there was, I can't see where Slash or Duff would be all that excited about something Axl wrote with Bucket, Robin, and Paul Tobias in 2001.  Or calling it Guns N' Roses, only now going as far as to put their own names on it, implying approval and validation.

And the audience you be marketing this to would be people interested in a reunion above all else.  People that have never shown much interest in any post-Slash configuration of the band.

I think Van Halen did something on there greatest hits albums where both singers were featured and had new songs by both singers. Can someone here confirm that?
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »

I would like to see a greatest hits volume 2 released.

I would like the set list to be picked by Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy.

I would like the album to also have around 4-6 unlreased bonus tracks on it...  These bonus tracks would be from the CD recordings.

This all sounds good, but probably only to the few remaining members of the fanbase that can appreciate both old and new.

I can only see Axl, Slash and Duff sitting down to do a GH2 is there is some sort of reunion tour.

If there was, I can't see where Slash or Duff would be all that excited about something Axl wrote with Bucket, Robin, and Paul Tobias in 2001.  Or calling it Guns N' Roses, only now going as far as to put their own names on it, implying approval and validation.

And the audience you be marketing this to would be people interested in a reunion above all else.  People that have never shown much interest in any post-Slash configuration of the band.

I can see the record company pusshing for a GH v2.0 sometime in the future.....

It would be great to get some involvement from the old band as to the track listing, but it is not nessesary (How many old songs are actually left that would be put on).

And as for the reunion..  Ya it would be ideal, but it is what it is.

As for the older guys, not wanting to promote previoulsy unreleased songs....    I cant see that being to much of a problem..  Hell they could all just over dub some things and get added to the writting credits...   I am sure this would happen with a new guitar player anyways (as history has shown)

Once everything happens as I stated above.  Then they can release the Anthology...  Containing all songs from all the years, untouched and released as first recorded

I am pretty shocked there hasnt been more public pressure from the record company for anytype of release.  They are sitting on songs that are already paid for.  Its free content for the label
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »

I think Van Halen did something on there greatest hits albums where both singers were featured and had new songs by both singers. Can someone here confirm that?

Their first greatest hits, they brought back Dave for the first time in 12 years for 2 news songs, 'Me Wise Magic' and 'Can't Get This Stuff No More'.  But the tour never materialized.

They then did a second greatest hits like 6-7 years later with 3 new songs with Sammy to support a reunion tour.  But nothing from Dave that time around.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2015, 02:04:01 PM »

I am pretty shocked there hasnt been more public pressure from the record company for anytype of release.  They are sitting on songs that are already paid for.  Its free content for the label

Honestly, I think they consider Axl out of sight, out of mind.

If he actually got his shit together and got them something, I trust it would be released.  But as he lets the calendar pages flip on by, I don't think they spend much time worrying about how he's coming along.

Basically, I think the label treats Axl the way some of the folks around here think we all should.  Its ready when its ready.  And little point hoping and wishing he's going to suddenly get bitten by the ambition bug.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2015, 02:11:46 PM »

If he actually got his shit together and got them something, I trust it would be released.  But as he lets the calendar pages flip on by, I don't think they spend much time worrying about how he's coming along.

Basically, I think the label treats Axl the way some of the folks around here think we all should.  Its ready when its ready.  And little point hoping and wishing he's going to suddenly get bitten by the ambition bug.

The label made a fortune on the first greatest hits release, without the approval of Axl or the past band and with zero label marketing.

I am shocked they havnt tried to release another greatest hits album.   With the serious decline in album sales, you would think that the label would take every opportunity they could find to make a buck.  Especially when they have already paid for these unreleased songs.

Makes me think that in the current guns label deal, there are no album release requirments.   Seems everything contract wise was fufilled with the release of CD
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »

I started this thread to truly get "fans" opinions on what they would like to see going forward from our favorite band. Fans should be able to honestly debate and give their opinions without being accused (by one person) of trying to dictate to management what should be done next.

No one is demanding, no one is whining. Its our opinions. One person feels that they need to bash people for having one. Apparently true fans are the ones that follow blindly.

It was my opinion I expressed as well, apparently only those with a certain outlook are accepted en masse.

I don't plan on changing my opinion in order to fit in or gain some acceptance, or acquire some support or implied validation.

I'm certainly not a "blind follower" as you alluded to above, I'm simply loyal and supportive, I don't see that as some sort of purported sin on my part.

Apparently the cool thing to do is bash GNR and also to bash the people that believe in and support GNR. Guess I'm not a member of the cool club.

Define bashing GNR? I really havent seen anyone do that here.

Stating non-facts to be facts, inventing facts to back up a pre-planned narrative and painting everything GNR in the darkest and most dire light possible.

I have seen the same people do this time and time again, while attempting to paint themselves as some sort of victim.

If you honestly have not seen that going on here, then I can only assume it is ignorance, willful or otherwise.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »

The only one at issue here is Emily.  There is no one else.

And once again, its not about having a differing opinion.  Its about being the only one that treats everyone here like total dogshit. 

No one is taking you to task for having the opinions you have, Emily.  Simply that the way you treat people is deplorable and embarrassing.  For whatever reason, you have carte blanche to act in this fashion.  That is what it is, but let's just say what it is.  The way you talk to people is a disgrace.

See, I find the way you come here each day to whine about all things GNR and to pick arguments with Jarmo on his site a disgrace.

I find that behavior deplorable and unforgivable.

We obviously play for different teams.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »

The label made a fortune on the first greatest hits release, without the approval of Axl or the past band and with zero label marketing.

I am shocked they havnt tried to release another greatest hits album.   With the serious decline in album sales, you would think that the label would take every opportunity they could find to make a buck.  Especially when they have already paid for these unreleased songs.

Makes me think that in the current guns label deal, there are no album release requirments.   Seems everything contract wise was fufilled with the release of CD

Baconman,

Wasn't a second greatest hits close to being released at one time? I remember seeing Artwork for this, but it got pulled for some reason. Huh

Edit, here's what Im talking about
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/it-s-official-second-guns-n-roses-hits-album-on-the-way/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:17:08 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »

The tracklist for the first one, with the exception of the inclusion of 'Ain't It Fun', was pretty much what one would expect, no?

I know some people might argue against 'Sympathy', but it had never been on an official GNR release.  I assume that was why.

But were Axl and the others seriously arguing if they were allowed input, that songs like 'Sweet Child' or 'November Rain' would have been left off?

GH tracklists tend to be self explanatory.

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2015, 03:30:11 PM »

I started this thread to truly get "fans" opinions on what they would like to see going forward from our favorite band. Fans should be able to honestly debate and give their opinions without being accused (by one person) of trying to dictate to management what should be done next.

No one is demanding, no one is whining. Its our opinions. One person feels that they need to bash people for having one. Apparently true fans are the ones that follow blindly.

It was my opinion I expressed as well, apparently only those with a certain outlook are accepted en masse.

I don't plan on changing my opinion in order to fit in or gain some acceptance, or acquire some support or implied validation.

I'm certainly not a "blind follower" as you alluded to above, I'm simply loyal and supportive, I don't see that as some sort of purported sin on my part.

Apparently the cool thing to do is bash GNR and also to bash the people that believe in and support GNR. Guess I'm not a member of the cool club.

Stating non-facts to be facts, inventing facts to back up a pre-planned narrative and painting everything GNR in the darkest and most dire light possible.

I have seen the same people do this time and time again, while attempting to paint themselves as some sort of victim.

If you honestly have not seen that going on here, then I can only assume it is ignorance, willful or otherwise.

Can you provide 3 examples of this deplorable behavior that happens time and time again here?
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »

The tracklist for the first one, with the exception of the inclusion of 'Ain't It Fun', was pretty much what one would expect, no?

I know some people might argue against 'Sympathy', but it had never been on an official GNR release.  I assume that was why.

But were Axl and the others seriously arguing if they were allowed input, that songs like 'Sweet Child' or 'November Rain' would have been left off?

I remember reading that the old guys didnt want any cover songs at all on the album

I can see there point

Why release a greatest hits album and have to pay royalties to other artists.  A greatest hits album should be a gravy train for both the label and the artist
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2015, 03:34:10 PM »

I remember reading that the old guys didnt want any cover songs at all on the album

I can see there point

Why release a greatest hits album and have to pay royalties to other artists.  A greatest hits album should be a gravy train for both the label and the artist

I get that, I suppose.

But for a lot of people, a GH might be the only thing from an artist they own.

A lot of us are the same age, I assume.  And in college, did not every dorm room have Bob Marley's Greatest Hits, Elton John's Greatest Hits, Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits?  What they did not have was anything else by those artists.

So if you were only going to spring for on GNR release, a GH, would you not want KOHD and LALD?

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2015, 03:39:48 PM »

Baconman,

Wasn't a second greatest hits close to being released at one time? I remember seeing Artwork for this, but it got pulled for some reason. Huh

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/it-s-official-second-guns-n-roses-hits-album-on-the-way/

Ya I remember seeing this.

But it was sorta a threat by the record label to Axl.   If he didnt turn over CD, they would release another GH album....

Which is why I am kinda shocked now.    Why wouldnt the label threaten them again...   Unless they cant..  I.E, no records left on the deal
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »

I can see there point

I get that, I suppose.

A lot of us are the same age, I assume.  And in college, did not every dorm room have Bob Marley's Greatest Hits, Elton John's Greatest Hits, Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits?  What they did not have was anything else by those artists.

So if you were only going to spring for on GNR release, a GH, would you not want KOHD and LALD?

Yeah, and I'd throw in Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers GH too.  It seems like all of these GH albums were handed out to incoming freshmen each year.
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »

Baconman,

But it was sorta a threat by the record label to Axl.   If he didnt turn over CD, they would release another GH album....

Which is why I am kinda shocked now.    Why wouldnt the label threaten them again...   Unless they cant..  I.E, no records left on the deal

IF (and I stress if b/c obviously I have no clue) there are no records left on the deal, doesn't that take away the whole evil record company holding Axl back from releasing new music angle?

Bacon, you make a good point.  Why wouldn't the label release another GH album?  AFD and GH are in the Billboard 200, it's only logical to assume that a new GH album would be in there as well.

Who knows.  I'm holding out some hope that there is some plan in place b/t management and the label.  It may be a loosely construed plan, but I got to think that talks about the next step (if any) have been held.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2015, 05:07:42 PM »

Baconman,

IF (and I stress if b/c obviously I have no clue) there are no records left on the deal, doesn't that take away the whole evil record company holding Axl back from releasing new music angle?

Bacon, you make a good point.  Why wouldn't the label release another GH album?  AFD and GH are in the Billboard 200, it's only logical to assume that a new GH album would be in there as well.

Who knows.  I'm holding out some hope that there is some plan in place b/t management and the label.  It may be a loosely construed plan, but I got to think that talks about the next step (if any) have been held.

I would think the label hasnt released another greatest hits album becuase...  They cant..

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »

I can see there point

I get that, I suppose.

Personaly I hate those two songs...   So frpm a personal stand point I would not include them in a greatest hits release

From a buisness point of view.

I think the sales of the greatest hits album would of been strong enough on its own, without including and covers..

I think by keeping the cover songs on there original albums, UYI 1/2, Spagettie and Lies, it would actually help maintain those albums sales...  By giving a fan something they cant find any place else..

The old guys other problem they had witht he release of this greatest hits album was that it was going to affect there royality cheque payments..   Well the GH album made them all even richer, too there shock and the album AFD has never really seen a drop in sales...   However, sales for all the other albums are not as strong...   Keeping the cover songs only on those albums, could only help
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2015, 06:22:58 PM »

Can you provide 3 examples of this deplorable behavior that happens time and time again here?

Are you incapable of looking through the threads yourself?

My name is not google, and I am not your secretary.

It is very apparent the same negativity and the same whining goes on here from the same few members.

Honestly did not expect you to acknowledge it, so no surprise here.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:25:00 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
mortismurphy
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2015, 02:09:54 AM »

It is 'greatest hits', not 'best of'. If it was a best of, It's so Easy, Brownstone and Nightrain would have certainly been included at the expense of TSI songs/Sympathy. Saying that however, they a stretching the term 'greatest hits' to breaking point. Sympathy made only US #55.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »

It is 'greatest hits', not 'best of'. If it was a best of, It's so Easy, Brownstone and Nightrain would have certainly been included at the expense of TSI songs/Sympathy. Saying that however, they a stretching the term 'greatest hits' to breaking point. Sympathy made only US #55.

And important distinction, to be sure.

A "greatest hits" is basically a list of their singles.  That's why I said its pretty self explanatory.  You could put together the most likely greatest hits tracklist of a band you didn't even like, so long as you had Wikipedia to look up their singles.

Its not really common for there to be album cuts on a such a thing.  A "best of", yeah, maybe.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: