Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 05:10:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can we put the name issue to bed...the man's words
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can we put the name issue to bed...the man's words  (Read 33233 times)
mortismurphy
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2015, 05:50:21 AM »

Nope....Slash is a money grubbing whore and would come back in a second for the big bucks.  hihi

I don't agree. Why did he not reunite with VR when it was offered to him on a plate a couple of years ago? VR made considerably more money than The Conspirators.
I'm not sure how true that really is. The appeal of VR diminished greatly after their initial splash of success. Their second album was rather underwhelming. Was there really that much clamoring to reform the band from the masses? Plus, Slash is more of a partner in VR, whereas he's the obvious main draw in the Conspirators. Less expectations, pressure, etc. His situation with the Conspirators may actually be more profitable than another go with VR might have been all things considered.

Probably not much demand for a reunion but Slash took an instant dive from the arenas to the theatres as soon as VR ended. Even Libertad which was deemed a flop at around 292,000 (US) copies is still going to outsell a Slash solo release which tend to go for around 50,000-70,000. Weiland and Sorum have both put out massive feelers; Weiland even claimed that they ''were reuniting''. If Slash was motivated by mere pecuniary measures, VR would be a significant move upwards.

Personally I think Slash has lead frontman phobia. A combination of Rose and Weiland will do that to you.
mortismurphy
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2015, 06:05:59 AM »

Nope....Slash is a money grubbing whore and would come back in a second for the big bucks.  hihi

I don't agree. Why did he not reunite with VR when it was offered to him on a plate a couple of years ago? VR made considerably more money than The Conspirators.

Am I missing something here??

I thought the point of the original post was a one off type thing.

Seriously the name issue???   People actually want to get there thoughts out over this issue???  Over 20 years later..................

Stick it!!!!!!!!

Hmm, okay. Not sure how it relates to what I wrote.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2015, 06:50:54 AM »

VR probably also has more "expenses". For example, you think Matt Sorum would be happy to be paid less than the other guys?

Just because the pie might not be as big as it would be in another scenario doesn't mean your slice isn't bigger....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »

You are comparing an artist (Slash) who is at virtually club level (in the States), with an arena rock group (VR). There is no doubt that Slash's bank account would rise if he agreed to a reunion with Weiland and the boys.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2015, 10:48:23 AM »

You are comparing an artist (Slash) who is at virtually club level (in the States), with an arena rock group (VR). There is no doubt that Slash's bank account would rise if he agreed to a reunion with Weiland and the boys.
I'm still not completely convinced there's that large of a difference between a reunited VR at this point in time and the Conspirators. VR would move the needle a little more, but it wouldn't exactly shake the earth. Once Slash went solo and had a level of success, VR was dead. He gets to call all the shots, etc. and you can't put a price on that. A GNR reunion would be an entirely different animal.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »

Am I missing something here??

I thought the point of the original post was a one off type thing.

Seriously the name issue???   People actually want to get there thoughts out over this issue???  Over 20 years later..................

Stick it!!!!!!!!

Hmm, okay. Not sure how it relates to what I wrote.

Lol the vodka was defently typing for me there
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2015, 06:32:38 AM »

Like I said, VR has more expenses. Bigger organization, maybe a bigger headache.

How do you know VR is an arena band anyway?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2015, 09:06:41 AM »

I'll stick to my Guns. Slash is still a publicity whore. He enjoys the spotlight. He would be back in a second for a reunion.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »

VR wasn't close to an arena band. When I saw them in the ATL, maybe 4000 people were there and Alice in Chains opened.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2015, 09:54:46 AM »

I won?t pretend to know what Slash could earn with VR or how it compares with Myles and the Conspirators.
Maybe it?s nets him more money in the end with Myles and company, maybe it doesn?t. It?s a moot point anyways, as there was never any guarantee he would find success with SMK&C.
The fact of the matter is, Slash walked away from a highly successful, proven commodity?and he did it twice.
If his sole motivation was money, he could have stayed in Guns N? Roses, a pretty big deal in their day.

He chose to start from scratch with Snakepit. I think it?s safe to assume he was aware that his new outfit was not going to bring in anywhere near the money he was accustomed to seeing in Guns.

Later he would find success with another new project in Velvet Revolver.
In Contraband, they had the blueprint. If their sole motivation was to cash in, they could have made Contraband II, but they chose to go in a totally different direction with Libertad.
I?m going to assume Slash knew that the more reserved approach he went with on Libertad wasn?t his best shot at the bright lights.
Regardless of the response they got from Libertad, they established themselves as a great live band, so I?m sure at the very least, touring options and the money that brings would still be there.

He once again chose the unknown, leaving his second successful band to go solo.
When he found success as a solo artist, he could have used that blueprint with the guest singers and just repeated the process but he instead formed another unknown in SMK&C.

So without bending over backwards, in my opinion, the ever popular misconception that he?s a whore for the limelight, or sellout or whatever insults are associated with him for actually earning his paychecks are a tough sell.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2015, 12:15:33 PM »

You make it sound like VR was some unknown garage band. The record companies were offering the band deals to the left and right.
A big risk? More like a big budget marketing extravaganza.

Slash also admitted that he wanted to save VR money by recording his guitar parts for their first album in a smaller studio.... And them admitted that the guitar tracks on the album suffered. Not motivated by money?

Also, he went solo at a particular moment in his career. We all know how Slash's Snakepit didn't exactly set the world on fire (no pun intended) but after VR, Guitar Hero and all that brand awareness promotion he's done during the years, he went solo using his own name and had some success.

I'd say all those risks you see aren't really huge risks, more like calculated steps. But that's my opinion.

/jarmo

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2015, 02:11:57 PM »

bingo...the long and the short of it, without a refresher course on Slash 101, he would come back in a New York Minute if the money was right.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2015, 02:51:41 PM »

You make it sound like VR was some unknown garage band. The record companies were offering the band deals to the left and right.
A big risk? More like a big budget marketing extravaganza.

Slash also admitted that he wanted to save VR money by recording his guitar parts for their first album in a smaller studio.... And them admitted that the guitar tracks on the album suffered. Not motivated by money?

Also, he went solo at a particular moment in his career. We all know how Slash's Snakepit didn't exactly set the world on fire (no pun intended) but after VR, Guitar Hero and all that brand awareness promotion he's done during the years, he went solo using his own name and had some success.

I'd say all those risks you see aren't really huge risks, more like calculated steps. But that's my opinion.

/jarmo

Sure, being an ex-member of GN'R, and one of the driving forces behind it?s success didn?t hurt him/them in terms of getting a record deal.
Did they not earn that luxury? They delivered on the opportunity with a successful debut album.

Maybe you don?t deem it a huge risk, and I may very well agree, but it?s a bigger risk than staying put and just collecting what would have been his enormous share of GN?R?s touring revenue. No? or staying put and just going along to get along with Axl in order to pump a record out, for the sake of selling records? Wouldn?t that be closer to the definition of selling out?

Is it really all that strange to hear that someone might be involved/conscious of their own financial standing?
As one of the most recognizable and respected lead guitarists in the history of rock n? roll, I?d think he?s earned whatever money is coming to him. Especially when you consider the fact that he?s really never stopped. Many of his peers are content milking their past glories, which is their right, but hardly an admirable path.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2015, 02:58:47 PM »

Didn't say one word about not earning anything. Smiley

Just pointed out the interesting timing. Once the brand was established, he stepped out of the group and re-started his career as a solo artist.

The risk he took in 1996 when he quit GN'R was one thing. In a way you could say it didn't pay off because he wasn't successful until he regrouped "using" (notice the quotes, don't get all upset about the word) the GN'R name (Velvet Revolver was basically hyped as "GN'R+STP").

I think people can do what they want. If they want to make the most money they can, go for it. No problem.
But don't tell me money isn't a motivator when it's kinda obvious that it is.... At least in my humble opinion.

Image is one thing, reality is something else.

/jarmo

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2015, 03:02:19 PM »

bingo...the long and the short of it, without a refresher course on Slash 101, he would come back in a New York Minute if the money was right.

You do realize Axl?s reason in keeping the name was at least partly financially motivated, yes?
He says in much in the chats you posted. Yet, you seem to have a problem with Slash making money..

Slash walked away from the cash cow, but he?d return because he?s a money grubbing whore.
Axl never walked away to begin with, so is he a money grubbing whore?
I?m really trying to understand your logic. It?s kind of fascinating.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »

Didn't say one word about not earning anything. Smiley

Just pointed out the interesting timing. Once the brand was established, he stepped out of the group and re-started his career as a solo artist.

The risk he took in 1996 when he quit GN'R was one thing. In a way you could say it didn't pay off because he wasn't successful until he regrouped "using" (notice the quotes, don't get all upset about the word) the GN'R name (Velvet Revolver was basically hyped as "GN'R+STP").

I think people can do what they want. If they want to make the most money they can, go for it. No problem.
But don't tell me money isn't a motivator when it's kinda obvious that it is.... At least in my humble opinion.

Image is one thing, reality is something else.

/jarmo

Not upset, my man.
I'm picking up what you're putting down.
I never said he wasn't motivated by money, I said he wasn't solely motivated by money. At least I believe that's what I wrote, too lazy to check.
In all honesty, I wouldn't even care if he was. Sure it's not as romantic or great story to hear when entertainers like money too, and aren't just doing it for our personal enjoyment, but somehow I'll have to accept and live with that reality. I've just never heard anyone truly back up the popular narrative that Slash in particular is a sellout, whore for the limelight, or in this case a "money grubbing whore". At least not any more so than other rockstars, entertainers..
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »

Most people who are in the music business need to think about finances as well. It's part of that whole thing.

But then, when you sacrifice your art (which ever field it is in, music, film, etc etc.) for money, you might get called out on it.

For some, Slash has done this more than once, and they comment on it. That's something you have to accept if you choose to admit wanting to save money and then pointing out the guitars don't sound as good as you had hoped, or if you choose to perform with the Black Eyed Peas... Wink

Slash walked away from the cash cow, but he’d return because he’s a money grubbing whore.

Wasn't he upset about the spending in GN'R?

/jarmo

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »

From all the interviews I've read from Slash, he didn't continue with Velvet Revolver because he was done with the whole super group and lead singer issues.

He seems to prefer to be on his own, where he calls all the shots and controls the direction of the band.

If he was interested in the money he could have gotten Corey Taylor to front VR, or reunite with Scott.

He seems content to put out albums and tour playing smaller venues with Myles and the conspirators.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »

Most people who are in the music business need to think about finances as well. It's part of that whole thing.

But then, when you sacrifice your art (which ever field it is in, music, film, etc etc.) for money, you might get called out on it.

For some, Slash has done this more than once, and they comment on it. That's something you have to accept if you choose to admit wanting to save money and then pointing out the guitars don't sound as good as you had hoped, or if you choose to perform with the Black Eyed Peas... Wink

Slash walked away from the cash cow, but he?d return because he?s a money grubbing whore.

Wasn't he upset about the spending in GN'R?

/jarmo

Sure. I don?t recall the circumstances of the saving money, guitars not sounding as good as he hoped situation, but I?m assuming he brought it up in the first place because he regretted it? or someone else brought it to our attention?
Regardless, sure people can and will call him out for anything they want. Him performing with the Black Eyed Peas didn?t bother me anymore than seeing Axl in that Budweiser commercial. Sure, I cringed slightly at the sight of both, but no real harm done in either instance.
If their dignity can take the hit, I?m not gonna lose any sleep over it.

I?m sure he was concerned about the spending in GN?R. That?s really just not my concern as a fan.
I think it?s really simple for us fans to spend other peoples money. We do it all the time when discussing whom ?our? town?s team should/shouldn?t sign as free agents. Sure it makes for good discussion, but it?s not my money, so I don?t really care.
Izzy was concerned about the wasted money going to fines for late start times. I know Duff had his concerns, or maybe they came later once he sobered up.. Axl had his as well. It?s human nature, but each own?s personal business.

Regardless of how much attention was being paid towards the financial side of things, it didn?t get in the way of Slash, Duff, Izzy continuing to create art, which is all I?m really concerned about as a fan.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »

From all the interviews I've read from Slash, he didn't continue with Velvet Revolver because he was done with the whole super group and lead singer issues.

He seems to prefer to be on his own, where he calls all the shots and controls the direction of the band.

If he was interested in the money he could have gotten Corey Taylor to front VR, or reunite with Scott.

He seems content to put out albums and tour playing smaller venues with Myles and the conspirators.

Yeah, the Corey Taylor non-hiring is a good point.
That would have been a money maker, because in today?s sick, twisted world, people not only haven?t heard enough of Corey Taylor?s music, but they actually want to hear more! It?s the darndest thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: