Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:29:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Release New Album In 2016
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Release New Album In 2016  (Read 24090 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »

world on fire was rather forgettable. AL was much better.

If you're a guitarist WoF was not forgettable. great riffs. but I know that most listerners are vocal driven. that's absolutely normal.

Yea, the guitar work is ace, which is all I?m expecting/hoping for out of Slash records these days.
It?s the only thing he can really control.

Good lyricists are few and far between these days, unfortunately.

That's why I think he should do another record like his 2010 record.  Slash should send the singers the music  go back and forth until you get a good song.  I'm sure it was a pain the ass process especially with all the red tape involved with working with artist on different labels but so what?  The 2010 record and "Contraband" were leaps and bounds above anything else he has done in the last 20 years.  The last 2 records just sound like tired rock n roll jam sessions with lyrics stuck on top of them.  Nothing original at all in those records.(Except "Anastasia" that was an awesome song.)

When I think of the creative process on the last two records I think of  Marty McFly at the "Enchantment Under the Sea" dance.  "Ok guys this is the blues riff in B, watch me for the changes and try to keep up"   Then Slash just shreds over some generic riff and calls it a day. 

I thought the 2010 record was great, and agree, would love to hear another one.
I enjoy the music on World on Fire, though, and think it was an improvement from Apocalyptic Love.
Thought it was a step forward for Myles and the band overall, though Myles lyrics are still decent at best.
I wouldn?t say those records sound generic, because no one else is cranking out riffs and solos anywhere near Slash?s level today.
Unfortunately overall, the records have a short shelf life for me, because outside of Slash?s playing, nothing else is really drawing me back.

Slash is one of the rare guitarists/musicians that still has something to offer from a creative standpoint this late into his career.
Many of his peers went creatively bankrupt years ago. Unfortunately he hasn?t found a writing partner to help take those ideas to the next level.
In his defense, I?m not sure that guy is out there. Obviously it used to be Axl and Izzy. I?m not sure Axl is still capable of great lyrics today, but if he was, and you add Izzy?s input, a really good song like Beneath the Savage Sun or Wicked Stone could easily be elevated to great.

Kudos on the Back to the Future reference, but difficult to classify Slash?s work ethic as lazy, especially in comparison to at least one of ex-bandmates.
Never really thought about it, but would love to hear Axl?s take on Earth Angel.

I never called Slash's work ethic lazy, he is far from lazy.  My BTTF reference was more of a knock on the amount of creativity that comes out of the rest of his band.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 09:04:24 PM »

I am a guitar guy but nothing touches Anastasia.

I like a lot of the songs but Myles didn't have any great songs other than maybe Wicked Stone.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: